As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Tillerson Out At State

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I didn’t hear all of Trumps speech about this but what I did hear left me with the impression that he doesn’t know North Korea was already on this list once before.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Viskod wrote: »
    I didn’t hear all of Trumps speech about this but what I did hear left me with the impression that he doesn’t know North Korea was already on this list once before.

That's a shocker.

Edit: I was considering "I didn't listen to any of Trump's speech and I could have told you that". However, Brevity is the soul of wit, as the Bard says.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    I think that classification at State is a necessary precondition for certain sanctions?

Is there anyone at State who cares if protocol is being followed or will enforce if it is not?

They're trying to push China to stop dealing with them entirely, so they may take enforcement pretty seriously.

That will be a disaster. If China stops supporting them they fail.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    I think that classification at State is a necessary precondition for certain sanctions?

Is there anyone at State who cares if protocol is being followed or will enforce if it is not?

They're trying to push China to stop dealing with them entirely, so they may take enforcement pretty seriously.

That will be a disaster. If China stops supporting them they fail.

China won't ever stop supporting North Korea in some fashion. They don't want to deal with all the refugees and they still view the DPRK as a buffer between them and the US

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    You negotiate to get those citizens out of a foreign prison because it's the right thing to do, not to feed your fucking ego.

I get your broader point, but getting US citizens out of a foreign prison is not inherently the right thing to do. These players weren't going to court for some bullshit political charge.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    You negotiate to get those citizens out of a foreign prison because it's the right thing to do, not to feed your fucking ego.

I get your broader point, but getting US citizens out of a foreign prison is not inherently the right thing to do. These players weren't going to court for some bullshit political charge.

It's what the State Department is supposed to be fucking doing

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

No, the State department's job is to ensure that American citizens arrested abroad receive fair and humane treatment, not to get them out of jail.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

No, the State department's job is to ensure that American citizens arrested abroad receive fair and humane treatment, not to get them out of jail.

It's both. Which is part of why State suggests you contact the local embassy/consulate when traveling abroad. Also, natural disasters.

• Options
    edited November 2017

It's both. Which is part of why State suggests you contact the local embassy/consulate when traveling abroad. Also, natural disasters.

They explicitly tell travelers that they cannot get them out of jail if they get arrested.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options

They explicitly tell travelers that they cannot get them out of jail if they get arrested.

Right.

• Options
    The State Department didn't get them out of jail, China voluntarily chose to let them go. Because State has no power or authority over foreign sovereign States. It can, does, and should advocate on behalf of Americans abroad.

And no, I don't mean that in the literal Public Defender sense either because they explicitly legally can't do that either and say as much.

• Options
    It can, does, and should advocate on behalf of Americans abroad.

I disagree. Or at least, I don't consider pressuring another country to ignore its justice system to be be the kind of advocacy that should be performed in the absent of extenuating circumstances.

An American getting arrested abroad is not inherently an injustice. In fact, if the American actually committed the crime in question, the US government applying pressure for their release would be an injustice. Fortunately, I don't believe the State department does generally do this except in special cases (such as the charges being nonsense, the sentence excessively draconian, or domestic political pressure).

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I disagree. Or at least, I don't consider pressuring another country to ignore its justice system to be be the kind of advocacy that should be performed in the absent of extenuating circumstances.

An American getting arrested abroad is not inherently an injustice. In fact, if the American actually committed the crime in question, the US government applying pressure for their release would be an injustice. Fortunately, I don't believe the State department does generally do this except in special cases (such as the charges being nonsense, the sentence excessively draconian, or domestic political pressure).

This is like that time we got the asian dawn out of prison.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I disagree, and fortunately so do embassy staff.

Also, 10 years for nicking sunglasses is pretty draconian.

• Options

With what? Surely not everything I wrote.

Don't minimize what they did to "nicking sunglasses". We know they stole from at least three stores. Given that one was Louis Vuitton, we're likely talking $1,000+ of stuff here. And 10 years is just a BS Trump claim, not what they would have likely ever served.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

With what? Surely not everything I wrote.

Don't minimize what they did to "nicking sunglasses". We know they stole from at least three stores. Given that one was Louis Vuitton, we're likely talking $1,000+ of stuff here. And 10 years is just a BS Trump claim, not what they would have likely ever served.
    Deciding the charges are nonsense sounds an awful lot like holding a trial, which I don't believe the State Department is in the business of doing. Making exceptions seems like a risky business.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

As an example, in Minnesota theft over $1000 but under $5000 (which is likely what this was) could result in 5 years of jail. That's not inherently a much different maximum penalty

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fucking goddamn bullshit.
    BREAKING: Homeland Security Department terminates temporary residency program for almost 60,000 Haitians.
    It's bad enough Haitians got screwed over by the Red Cross. Now this.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

As an example, in Minnesota theft over $1000 but under $5000 (which is likely what this was) could result in 5 years of jail. That's not inherently a much different maximum penalty

I mean, I consider our sentencing guidelines to be excessive, draconian, and in desperate need of reform as well. But this is becoming a tangent.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    BREAKING: Homeland Security Department terminates temporary residency program for almost 60,000 Haitians.

Why? I'm not being facetious with this, what is the benefit of doing this? How are they spinning this as a positive?

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I thought Tillerson fired the sanction department when it was time to enforce the Russian sanctions?

Yeah, me too. So how's he gonna enforce new sanctions on DPRK and still manage to ignore the Russian sanctions Trump was forced to sign into law?

• Options
    never die wrote: »

Why? I'm not being facetious with this, what is the benefit of doing this? How are they spinning this as a positive?

Trump and his people are anti-immigrant. Especially for non-whites. I'll bet they think it's inherently positive and needs no further benefit.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is like that time we got the asian dawn out of prison.

I read about them from Time Magazine

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

With Trump's admin it's difficult to tell. Chad got this after their passport paper ran out, the people running the country are fucking insane.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

I believe they are claiming they are fixing an "abuse" of the program. As it's temporary, but keeps getting renewed. They probably don't want to give the impression that "temporary" things turn into permanent things.

The better solution would be to grant them all citizenship (if they want it), and let them stay. Kicking them out is terrible.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    There are plenty of good ways to deal with them without abusing a temporary program. None of those give quite the pleasure of punching down on people.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    TryCatcher on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Good freaking riddance.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    "You can't fire me, I quit!"

That works. See ya, Bob!
    Xantomas wrote: »

Trump and his people are anti-immigrant. Especially for non-whites. I'll bet they think it's inherently positive and needs no further benefit.

Add to that their hatred for Haiti in particular (and the two centuries of insanity that was built upon) and you get people who are probably quite happy about the effective refoulement of sixty thousand people. It might be being spun as shutting down an abusive program, but I wouldn't be surprised if the administration just finally thought it found a demographic it could get rid of without political or legal difficulties.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I'm not in the know for this, but on China forums I've mostly seen people laughing at the idea of anyone getting 10 years for shoplifting. The general response has been, "lol if only, more like a long afternoon."

While 10 years may be the theoretical maximum, apparently that kind of punishment rarely happens.

But that's from people who live in China, not academics, so they might be blowing hot air too.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    So, the United States voted against a UN resolution to condemn Nazism.
    [D]ue to this resolution's overly narrow scope and politicized nature, and because it calls for unacceptable limits on the fundamental freedom of expression, the United States cannot support it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    [D]ue to this resolution's overly narrow scope and politicized nature, and because it calls for unacceptable limits on the fundamental freedom of expression, the United States cannot support it.

rwndiu4turzn.jpg

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

As far as I've read, this is actually an ongoing position by the US, which the Obama administration opposed as well, on freedom of speech grounds.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

As far as I've read, this is actually an ongoing position by the US, which the Obama administration opposed as well, on freedom of speech grounds.

We need to stop pretending that making any sort of laws to curb hate speech will destroy our freedom of speech.

• Options

Your link is from 2016.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

Your link is from 2016.

Shit, sorry. Someone has linked it on Twitter earlier today, I didn't post the tweet because the person who posted it wasn't anyone I knew about.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Although you’d think that by telling Trump what Obama did, he’d do the opposite.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Twitter people have an annoying habit of linking old stories and acting like they're new.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Twitter people have an annoying habit.

Yep.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Is that... does Mugabe have... a Hitler 'stache?

This discussion has been closed.