As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blade Runner 2049] More human than human

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I saw it by myself, so on the ride home I couldn't even listen to the radio.

I just shut it off so I could ruminate on what I had seen.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    i enjoyed it

theres actually lots to say but im feeling tired as its late so you get short

- villeneuve does cold films, and this is a very cold film - in palette, temperature and emotional tone
    - almost every surface in the whole film is hard. there are no curtains in sight or anything to stop sound echoing - and there are a lot of echoes
    - visual design and photography are exceptional
    - this is a culturally colonised us - japanese, korean, chinese, hindi, russian writing everywhere. cccp still exists. japanese schoolgirl fantasies being sold in la etc
    - soundtrack is well done, but a bit less stringsy and thematic and a bit more chanting and distant rumbling bangs.
    - the theme appears to be replicas and copies - his quest is even driven by the replica of a motivation. his girlfriend is a fake, calling him by a generic name. his real memory is a fake. they go fairly hard on this
    - jared leto's character is awfully written and not even tied up by the end of the film.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, on Gosling and Armas:
    The death of Joi, something I saw coming the minute he removed her from the console and put her on the emitter, still kind of hit pretty hard. All of Gosling and Armas scenes were sweet in that emotionally stunted kind of way, and the sex scene was actually incredible. Like, that defines the kind of things that movies should be trying to visualize (not necessarily because of sex) to really take advantage of the medium. It was interesting they had 2 "Fake" human creations somehow finding a soul/emotion with each other, and it was touching. Her death was actually pretty emotionally distressing!

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I don't know if it's just me ( since I had just stated That, probably me.), but
    I love the fact, that as a return "thank you" to a lot of Anime, that was inspired by " Blade Runner"
    , some of the scenes In the middle of the movie reminded me of the original Anime movie, "Ghost in the Shell" for example.

As stated, this movie was amazing. I was so impressed by Blade Runner 2049. This is automatic day one purchase on BLU Ray for me.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think a fair number of people will hate it. I saw two groups walk out and not come back in the first hour, and heard a few disgusted THAT WAS SHIT comments from a few people at the end, but honestly those people looked like morons and dog-beaters, so I am happy drawing a line between those who love and hate the movie and retiring the half that hated it.

Living up to the original then.

• Options
    The death of Joi, something I saw coming the minute he removed her from the console and put her on the emitter, still kind of hit pretty hard. All of Gosling and Armas scenes were sweet in that emotionally stunted kind of way, and the sex scene was actually incredible. Like, that defines the kind of things that movies should be trying to visualize (not necessarily because of sex) to really take advantage of the medium. It was interesting they had 2 "Fake" human creations somehow finding a soul/emotion with each other, and it was touching. Her death was actually pretty emotionally distressing!

Very stupid question from my end..
    Joi was Kay's AI, sort of like "Cortana" for Master Chief?

• Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Yeah

• Options

Essentially a girlfriend app.

• Options

Essentially a girlfriend app.

Oh you KNOW, when that actually comes out in Real Life, it will make gangbusters! . Also a mode for all sexes and orientations plz?

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

Yeah
    Eh, less like Cortana and more like Samantha from Her. Practically lampshaded by the proxy sex scenes that played out in both films.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I think a fair number of people will hate it. I saw two groups walk out and not come back in the first hour, and heard a few disgusted THAT WAS SHIT comments from a few people at the end, but honestly those people looked like morons and dog-beaters, so I am happy drawing a line between those who love and hate the movie and retiring the half that hated it.

At least four people in the seats in front of me kept checking their phones, looking at the time and their messages. They seemed bored. And that's fine. People can dislike movies. But it would have been nice if they didn't pull out their bright phones practically every five minutes. I was this close to throwing popcorn at them.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dashui wrote: »

At least four people in the seats in front of me kept checking their phones, looking at the time and their messages. They seemed bored. And that's fine. People can dislike movies. But it would have been nice if they didn't pull out their bright phones practically every five minutes. I was this close to throwing popcorn at them.

Reminds me of the incident when I finally got to see the first Blade Runner (Final Cut) in the cinema a couple of years ago. Some screen-hoppers or whatever the hell you'd call them came in about halfway through, sat down and proceeded to start just talking to each other, generally being obnoxious. Now, I don't have much of a temper, but my blood started boiling almost immediately. I'm pretty sure it was only a matter of twenty, maybe thirty seconds on the outside before I just lost it, turned to face them and yelled "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" at the top of my lungs at them. They got up and departed, chucking a couple of vague threats in my direction as they went. Despite their big words, they were not waiting for me outside afterwards, thankfully. After the movie, I went straight to the first employee I could find, explained and apologised, and got a few promotional Blade Runner postcards for my trouble!

I recounted that story in the movies thread when it happened, and got a good few awesomes in response. But what I neglected to append was that I felt so, so bad for the other handful of people there (there weren't many) to, like me, actually watch the movie because, in turn, I'd managed to - or certainly felt like I'd managed to - fuck up their viewing of Blade Runner. None of them spoke to me after the screening and I felt too sheepish to say anything to them. I've never done anything like that before in my life and I hope never to again. But then, I don't recall experiencing a situation quite like that before either (certainly not since).

Jazz on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I hope whiskey dog is okay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Some shitty twenty year olds booed the credits. Fuck you dudes.

I think it was good but overhyped. And maybe I just need to let it marinate a bit and I’ll like it better.

Random gripes
    Leto was fine. Character was mustache twirlingly bad motivation wise.
    It had like 1 too many swerves
    Nothing was resolved. Replicant army grows. They still want dekkard dead, he’s the only loose end. Leto is alive and can remake love times 1000 and still wants dekkard.
    Technology was as good as the story required conveniently. We chip our dogs. We don’t gps chip our replicants? We don’t have cameras in police stations?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I loved this film.

I need to sit down and process this shit or something.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I think it was good but overhyped. And maybe I just need to let it marinate a bit and I’ll like it better.

Random gripes
    Nothing was resolved. Replicant army grows. They still want dekkard dead, he’s the only loose end. Leto is alive and can remake love times 1000 and still wants dekkard.
    Technology was as good as the story required conveniently. We chip our dogs. We don’t gps chip our replicants? We don’t have cameras in police stations?
    Nothing getting resolved is kind of a thing with these movies.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I hope whiskey dog is okay.

Damn thing almost made me cry...

• Options

Random gripes
    Nothing getting resolved is kind of a thing with these movies.
    Not exactly, while Deckard failed to kill Roy, Roy died literally seconds after their fight ended. Deckard executed all the Replicards, aside from Rachel - for obvious reasons.

Roy was unable to get Tyrell to lengthen his life span, and then killed him.

Rachel and Decker's fate was ambiguous, of course.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Leto is alive and can remake love times 1000 and still wants dekkard.

Odd little detail I noticed while watching the credits, that character's name is spelled...
    Luv.

Also, spoiler but something people with weak bladders might want to consider:
    There's a lot of dripping water and waves crashing towards the end.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Random gripes
    I thought they did GPS chip the replicants. That is how, after killing the police boss, the evil replicant tracked down Gosling and Harrison Ford. As for cameras, maybe the police don't want them for the same reason some police don't want body cameras. Makes it hard to get up to a bit of the old police brutality.

• Options

Random gripes
    I thought they did GPS chip the replicants. That is how, after killing the police boss, the evil replicant tracked down Gosling and Harrison Ford. As for cameras, maybe the police don't want them for the same reason some police don't want body cameras. Makes it hard to get up to a bit of the old police brutality.
    That's how the police tracked him, I think. Later on Luv used the prostitute Replicant to plant a bug in his jacket after they had sex.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The scene towards the end with the water. . .

I've never seen anything like it before. That must have been such a tedious thing to film.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Absolutely amazing. Visuals and audio were spot on perfect.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Random gripes
    That's how the police tracked him, I think. Later on Luv used the prostitute Replicant to plant a bug in his jacket after they had sex.
    No, the prostitute was working for the resistance. The bug she planted is how they found and rescued him after Luv left him for dead. Luv appeared to track him down using something involving Joi's portable emitter, which is why Luv freaked out when he broke its antenna.

madparrot on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

Random gripes
    No, the prostitute was working for the resistance. The bug she planted is how they found and rescued him after Luv left him for dead. Luv appeared to track him down using something involving Joi's portable emitter, which is why Luv freaked out when he broke its antenna.
    Luv was tracking him through the emitter but he broke the antenna before going to Las Vegas so she tracked him by finding where his car was. Remember the scene were she used cop lady's computer after killing her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    i enjoyed it

theres actually lots to say but im feeling tired as its late so you get short

- villeneuve does cold films, and this is a very cold film - in palette, temperature and emotional tone
    - almost every surface in the whole film is hard. there are no curtains in sight or anything to stop sound echoing - and there are a lot of echoes
    - visual design and photography are exceptional
    - this is a culturally colonised us - japanese, korean, chinese, hindi, russian writing everywhere. cccp still exists. japanese schoolgirl fantasies being sold in la etc
    - soundtrack is well done, but a bit less stringsy and thematic and a bit more chanting and distant rumbling bangs.
    - the theme appears to be replicas and copies - his quest is even driven by the replica of a motivation. his girlfriend is a fake, calling him by a generic name. his real memory is a fake. they go fairly hard on this
    - jared leto's character is awfully written and not even tied up by the end of the film.

The coldness in this is reflecting the themes of the movie, I think. Everything 2049 and Wallace related gets cold colours, hard surfaces or water images while everything with the old Nexus replicants has fire, natural materials, yellows and reds.

The opening shot of the movie also looks like a total mirror of the original opening.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I want more movies like this

Not just more movies in the Blade Runner universe. More movies shot this way, scored like this, written this deftly

Despite being an almost three hour film not a single scene is superfluous. Spending a few extra minutes to dwell on something is what more movies could stand to do

Blade Runner 2049 is exactly my jam

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Random gripes

No.
    They explicitly say Deckard will be presumed dead, so he’s finally free to see his child.

The replicant revolution wasn’t the story. The fact that there was one was important, but the movie wasn’t about resolving it.

The tech stuff, honestly I could care less. Those feel like nitpicks I don’t really care about. Like why bother with a vought-kampf test in the first one when they have actual pictures of the Nexus 6 replicants?

• Options

Random gripes

No.
    They explicitly say Deckard will be presumed dead, so he’s finally free to see his child.

The replicant revolution wasn’t the story. The fact that there was one was important, but the movie wasn’t about resolving it.

The tech stuff, honestly I could care less. Those feel like nitpicks I don’t really care about. Like why bother with a vought-kampf test in the first one when they have actual pictures of the Nexus 6 replicants?
    The revolution felt unneeded, they didn't need to be a big resolution for this - just be a random Replicant or two on the run. By being a revolution it brings questions, like - why didn't they give K any backup or extra equipment to kill/rescue Deckard?

Feels like a weak set up for another film where the Replicants start their war.

• Options
    Blade Runner 2049 is a solid movie, however, not the masterpiece I was expecting. Definitely a movie to get on blu-ray/dvd.
    It is not an action movie the trailers were promising, so anyone who thought this was the case rest easy. Very slow burn, investigation based, and possible character study. Everyone's performances are excellent, no weak links. The world feels lived in, fits like a glove with the Blade Runner universe. The world building is impressive, well thought out, logical and not overwhelming sci-fi.

Gosling's K was engaging, too bad they don't really give him much of a personality. Practically every other role leaves him the dust regarding depth or complicity.
    He is an active Replicant who works for the LAPD as a Blade Runner, with implanted memories as a child (this becomes a plot point). Which he knows aren't real.

His world gets turned upside down when his latest mission to kill a Replicant, which was Sapper Morton (Dave Batista) who is in hiding on a farm. After killing him, he learns he's keeping a box under a tree - of a Replicant who died giving labor. This is Rachel (that Rachel), who died 30 years ago under mysterious circumstances.

The child who survived is the macguffin everyone is looking for. His boss orders him to destroy all the evidence, she doesn't want the world to know the Replicants can breed - while Nianada Waller wants the specimen to dissect them so he can make Replicants self mass producing for his slave empire.

K eventually thinks he's Deckard's and Rachel's son, which was a disappointing direction but I was intrigued where they were going with this. Nope, it's someone else - a girl!

Lieutenant Joshi, K's boss, is a complex character. It's difficult to tell whether she's a villain or an anti-hero, perhaps both. Hard as nails, her opinion on Replicants (especially K) is nuanced. She both sees them less than human, yet is one of the kindest people to them in the movie. She respects K, to a limit - as soon as this conflicts with superiors policy she backs down.
    Enough to help K, not to save him.
    Steals every scene she's in.

Luv, Wallace's right hand woman and a high ranking executive at the mega-corp. This might be the role to transform Sylvia Hoeks into a star. In her standard business guise she's a polite, and helpful exec
    she unwittingly personally helps K discover Rachel's identity when he needs to search records in archives for a case. This seems like she's being genuine here. That said, in her first scene she's introduced basically selling (sex) slaves to a client in her office without a smidge of remorse.
    This changes when Waller asks her to do some ass kicking, which she does with aplomb and relies on getting her own hands dirty.
    One of the best scenes in the film is a back and forth between K being attacked by bandits in the badlands and her methodically calling in bombs to be dropped every time she says "fire" and controlling the camera. Culminating in ordering him to do his damn job by finding the missing kid.

Though the whole film I was waiting a reveal for her to either be Decker's kid and/or K's sister.
    Was disappointed when this didn't materialize. The film's Darth Vader.

Niander Waller is an interesting fellow, an eccentric super-villain/Bond villain
    who wants to control the reproduction of Repliants entirely. He claims his goals to "save his children" except the bastard ruthlessly murders any Replicants for the slightest of reasons. One was a women Replicant recently "birthed," he gives this bizarre speech to her then takes out a knife and guts her in the blink of an eye.

The second was a Rachel clone to bribe Deckard into telling him what he knows. When that fails he simply nods and Luv shoots her in the head.

He's in the film briefly, two or three scenes. Which is a shame, he needs more screen time.

Deckard is a cantankerous, cynical, broken and isolated man
    who sacrificed everything to protect his child. He deliberately made sure he wasn't kept in the loop when the child was taken away by the Replicant underground and stayed off the radar out of love. This is heartbreaking when he tells this to K, who thinks he's the child at that stage.

It's not confirmed or denied whether he's a Replicant, I read him as human.

Joi, K's hologram girlfriend. Ana de Armas is brilliant in this role.
    It's implied that these AI's don't always fall in love with their "boyfriends" and has a loving relationship with K as he uncovers the mystery. She's his anchor, in a world where he has no one but himself. At one point she hires a Replicant prostitute which she attunes with so she can have sex with K.
    The Replicant resistant appears in a few scenes, they took the child away and when Deckard refuses to tell Wallace more about who helps him these are the people he's meaning. Not much is known about them, quite mysterious. From what we do see they're not a bunch of Replicant Superior psychopaths, they just want the humans to give them equal rights and right now their only option is force.

It's a weird element in the film, since they don't really do much aside from giving K the motivation to find and kill Deckard (who knows their secrets), and they don't bother giving him any supplies or manpower. Despite having a large crowd of people on screen when they introduce themselves officially to K.
    Might be set up for a sequel?

What I loved about this world was that I wanted more of it, whether it be in movies or a tv show. I want to more details, what else goes on,
    the Replicant underground
    etc.

• Options
    I disagree.
    It was not unnecessary. It fits perfectly with the film’s themes and is integral to the plot (it’s how K gets out of Vegas and presumably how he knows when and where they’re leaving with Deckard).

I don’t need it to be resolved because the resolution of it isn’t what the film is about. That it exists is important.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of scenes someone could cut if they wanted to make it a shorter movie, but that isn’t of interest to me. I don’t want short movies. I want movies that interest me for the entirety of their length.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I disagree.
    It was not unnecessary. It fits perfectly with the film’s themes and is integral to the plot (it’s how K gets out of Vegas and presumably how he knows when and where they’re leaving with Deckard).

I don’t need it to be resolved because the resolution of it isn’t what the film is about. That it exists is important.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of scenes someone could cut if they wanted to make it a shorter movie, but that isn’t of interest to me. I don’t want short movies. I want movies that interest me for the entirety of their length.
    The problem is by putting this organization in there it disrupts the flow of the story when they don't act when they should, and by helping rescue Deckard they didn't need to send an army - just a group who get killed by Luv's goons. It feels off why they wouldn't do this when they did so much for both Deckard and K by this stage. Instead they just lost interest, and wandered off never to be seen again? Decker's is K's problem to solve, despite the fact K needs to do this or their revolution is going to have serious issues when Wallace is able to mass produce Replicants of his own to a degree unheard of in history with the next batch.

They should have had minimal presence instead, imply how big the group is but don't show it or give the impression they're powerful enough to do this themselves. Do they even need K to kill Deckard? Why not doing it themselves? Or get their assets in place to find him off-planet.

They could have made a whole different movie with this sub-plot, or a sequel just about them. Which they could easily do with this set up.

The original didn't need have this to worry about since the only parties were Deckard, the Replicants and Tyrell (and Tyrell didn't really have time to do anything until it was too late). Add in Roy getting help from a Replicant underground, and the story shape alters into something else.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Deckard
    Another thing I wondered, and may have missed the explanation - why is Deckard living in the Bradbury Building? Why would he lie in a place where he fought Roy? Other than fan service, I mean.

• Options
    I am happy to assume that
    the reason the revolution doesn’t provide help is that it wants to remain secret. But honestly I don’t really care.

The last point.
    It isn’t the Bradbury. It’s an old casino in Vegas.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So I've watched arrival and sicario so I kind of knew what I was getting into ..
    having said that, this movie was still bleh.
    The atmosphere of it all is great, the dystopia it showed was horrible and despairing, but ultimately I sat in a cinema for 3 hours and nothing happened.
    Nothing got resolved, it's just all open ended and messy.
    I kinda want a slow-burning film to come to some sort of meaningful end.

And this movie has reaffirmed my belief that any movie Ridley Scott has his dirty, grubby fingers on isn't worth watching.
    He taints everything...

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    I think that ‘nothing happened’ is an inaccurate description of the movie.

• Options
    This movie is a tragic character study about the character of K.

If you watched this film and tell me "nothing happened", then I think you may have wandered into a screening of a different movie than the one I watched.

If you don't like that the resolution involved the main character dying for a hopeless cause after having everything taken from him, even his hope for the future... well, maybe you just don't like sad movies. And that's okay! But it doesn't mean that nothing got resolved.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    snip

I don't agree with the majority of your post but find myself lacking the energy to debate this film.
    It just didn't do it for me.
    I'll stick to playing netrunner if I want a taste of dystopia.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Blade runner: if you don't like it you just don't get it.

So its a true sequel. :D
    No one live in veegas due to a dirty bomb except deckard... who is immune to radiation. Oh theres not radiation according to k, Except the rest of the world is people stacked like cord wood and crowded. So if vegas is livable it would be crawling with people looking for space.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I'm not saying that you have to like the film or even enjoy it. But don't come in here in a thread about an almost 3 hour long movie and say nothing happened. PLENTY of stuff happened, there were a lot of plot threads in this film that were resolved and wrapped up with a nice little bow. There were also some plot threads that were not.