As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBTQIAU]: Bigger than bigots. Everyone in this thread is gorgeous and amazing FYI

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I'd like to ask for transition advice. A lot is in the air or uncertain right now and I'm not at all sure how to proceed.

-I am on hormones, but I feel like it's not a huge dose? No idea what a normal dose is. I wanna be on more. Doctor is OK bumping it up on the caveat I exercise a ton more. I generally hate exercising because I feel people watching and judging me while I do so. Maybe some sort of stationary bike at home...? would that be enough?

-I really want to get hair removal done but it's expensive and I have no cash to spare... I need a job. But, like, not having it done yet really saps my mood and makes my depression worse. Which in turn saps my energy for the job search.

-I am going to (hopefully) do speech threapy come this spring, and I think what will help a lot. My voice is one of the things I feel the most dysphoria about. And it's cheap so double yay!

-Soooo like I feel like I should get my government documents changed ASAP but like... I'm not sure if I should wait until stuff like hair removal is at least ongoing. After I make those document changes I'll be 24/7 and no going back. Kiiiiinda scary. Horray for anxiety.

-Fuckin make-up... one of those things I wanna get into but the massive lump of anxiety (and a lack of spare funds) makes it super hard.

I guess I just feel like I wish I had some trans ladies close by I could rely on for advice and such. There is a trans support group in the area but... to be totally honest I am super worried some people who've made serious dramam in the past would maybe be there and make it a terrible experience.

...sorry all I just sorta needed to rant about all that's worrying me.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So im cismale but I feel like makeup is a good place to start because its relatively cheap and they sell make up at the dollar store and drug stores.

I wanted to call it an "easy win" but then there's the whole, ya know, using it which LOLIDFK yo

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EasilyAmusedEasilyAmused Registered User regular
    I'm with you on pretty much everything you said. Ok, spoilering this cause I went pretty long and I'm actually pretty drunk right now.
    Of anything that I've done so far next to starting hormones, hair removal has been by far the best. Expensive for sure which sucks, wish that was something that was covered like I hear it is next province over. So far for permanent I've only started laser on my face. Not cheap but I'm glad I'm responding well to it, I used to have shadow as soon as I shaved, and now a few darker stubborn patches but it's helped so much. Having dark hair was such a blessing even though I was super frustrated that it never looked like I shaved. Now hair everywhere else, I'm jut hoping I'm lucky in that hrt will thin things out. Recently tried an epilator in my battle, and it varies between ha ha this tickles and omg stop stop it now!

The documents thing is such a huge question of when to do it. Especially since I want to do both the name and gender change at the same time. And it looks like I need a letter for the gender change, so I'm not sure about the timing on that. At this point I hope to go fulltime around the 6 month hrt mark. Basically waiting for work contract to be renewed wanting to do it before my birthday in March. Work is such a scary one to think of making the change, and I will definitely be visible as a trans person, so it feels like such a big commitment there. But I figure if it goes bad for some reason I would rather know sooner than later. And I guess I'm speaking from a point of privilege with that since I do have supportive family and feel there's a good safety net for me with federal protections for trans people.

And make-up, omfg is that ever such a stressful thing for me. It should be all means be something I should be able to practice and know I will be kinda sucky at first and get better at. I either get it pretty wrong, or it's an uncanny valley type of thing. At least it's pretty cheap to start learning with inexpensive drug store make-up. I know a person that does make-up teaching sessions, 1 on 1 type of thing, so at some point I'l have to hit her up for some teaching.

Support groups always feel hit and miss. There's one local to me that, well it took me a while to start feeling comfortable there. That meant I might not go for a month, then finally feel like I should attend and finally go back. It's gotten better, I'm actually kind of amazed how quickly I stopped feeling like an outsider. What kept me away is we would have 1 or 2 individuals that would kinda turn it into either a meeting all about them, or into a personal therapy session. And it has had a session where some pretty bad misgendering occurred, which was such a bad experience for everyone there. But it's had more positives than negatives, and usually tries to get a mix of social nights in with discussion nights. I don't know what your local group is like, but I think it can be worth it to give it a chance or three, it might end up a net positive, but if it really sucks then don't feel any obligation to go. I am more than happy to chat if you need, I might not have any answers, but don't be afraid to hit me up.

An aside, that is a huge change in attitude for me, had this account for 7 years now and I think I've had more posts in the last couple weeks than I did in the first 7 years.

And as for dosage, I think the big thing is less what the actual dosage is, so much as getting your levels checked. Everyone will react to dosages differently. I think the standard is about 30-45 days after changing dosage before your levels will stabilize. While it took 7 months before getting hrt, my dr was willing to double my initial dose after 6 weeks. Her main concern wasn't weight so much as keeping an eye on blood pressure. If that is a concern, a home monitor can be worth it. At the Dr office I tend to read high since I am super nervous, especially before getting on hrt when I really didn't know if this would be the visit I finally got a prescription. At home I'm in a normal range. I'm definitely overweight, and should be exercising as well. I'm looking right now at an exercise bike and wondering why I never use it. I mean, even if it's not for health reasons, it should help me work on getting a nice butt, so I shouldn't be so lazy. But if the concern for an increased dose is the risk of increased blood pressure, home monitoring could be a way to help with an increased dose.

And seriously, hit me up anytime you need to talk. I'm still figuring it all out too, but I think I speak for all of us here when I say we all have your back.

Wow did I go on and on.

Also, tomorrow our D&D group resumes and finally get to come out to all of them. Part of me really just wants to show up all femme and see if anyone says anything. Any way I do it, I'm super excited, and I part of our group is a lesbian couple who I am out to, so I know they will have my back.

And again, we all got your back, and anytime you need to talk with someone also figuring it all out don't be afraid to hit me up.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'm not crying! You're crying!

https://youtu.be/Hvinz1Tyk9E

• Options
    Also, is Red Rose any good?

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    I'm not crying! You're crying!

Didn’t even have to watch the video to know what it was. A couple of weekends ago when I can out to my dad, watching tv later that evening that commercial kept coming on. Didn’t quite manage to not cry since it captured that fear and nervousness I was feeling so well. Seriously 2 hours of crying every commercial break.

Also apparently overly confident drunk tweets lead to chatting with random cool people until after 4am. So that was cool but where is my coffee delivery service.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So I'd like to ask for transition advice. A lot is in the air or uncertain right now and I'm not at all sure how to proceed.

-I am on hormones, but I feel like it's not a huge dose? No idea what a normal dose is. I wanna be on more. Doctor is OK bumping it up on the caveat I exercise a ton more. I generally hate exercising because I feel people watching and judging me while I do so. Maybe some sort of stationary bike at home...? would that be enough?

[unlurk]A stationary bike is good if you make sure to use the resistance settings and change up the pace. I guess it depends a bit on what the doctor means by a ton. Also, if you have a little floorspace, you can easily do circuit and high intensity interval training at home. I personally use Beachbody on Demand because of the variety of programs (everything from dance cardio to weight training), and I really like several of the trainers; but there are several streaming workout services out there. FitnessBlender on YouTube has a lot of good stuff that you could try. So basically there are a number of ways to get good, intense workouts at home in the comfort and privacy of your largest floor-space room. You may also find a good cycling “class” program streaming, too, which could help amp up the stationary bike training, as well, if you feel like you’d be more into the stationary bike after all.
    [relurk]

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I can second Beachbody, I lost over 60 lbs on P90x and Cize

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2017
    The dosage depends on your delivery method. Pills require many times a higher dosage because they have to go through your liver and you lose a lot that way. Patches and injections bypass that nonsense. I know someone on like 6mg of E daily and my patches are only 0.4 mg a week.

Exercise is probably due to blood pressure concerns, as estradiol increases the risk of clotting. You should, of course, ask your doctor for the reason because everyone is different.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I’m in Melbourne for PAX and Game Dev conferences so we dyed my hair again!
    And then yesterday Mispy and I hung out with two of his sisters and their partners and his nan and I ended up doing my nails with one of them because hooray matching colours.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Podcast I like (I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats) asked people to do a survey and I figured why not, then I got to this

DMx4sbjVoAItYvP.jpg

Hey what the fuck?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Came out to my gaming group this afternoon and it all went great. Had a fun D&D session and everyone was really good about using she pronouns. A couple of slips as I expected when everything is new, but everyone would immediately correct themselves. So it's been a really good day.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I went to a pretty great wedding today. One groom was NYC Jewish, the other was Texan African American, both nerdy lawyers. There were short readings from the Bible and from Goodrich v. Dept. of Public Health. The reception was Texas barbecue and NY jewish deli. They did the horah and got lifted in chairs. Their groomspeople entered the ceremony to soundtracks from Final Fantasy and Zelda, they went up the aisle together to the award ceremony music at the end of Star Wars. At the end of the ceremony, they jumped over a broom and landed on cloth-wrapped glasses.

It was the most tradition-filled non-traditional wedding I've ever heard of. Not sure how they held it together, I was almost-crying the whole time.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Podcast I like (I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats) asked people to do a survey and I figured why not, then I got to this

Hey what the fuck?

Something does seems wrong with that, but I'm honestly not quite sure what. It's it that 'transgender' is a separate option?

Looks like someone Googled 'other genders' and just copy-pasted the first two results.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Hey what the fuck?

Something does seems wrong with that, but I'm honestly not quite sure what. It's it that 'transgender' is a separate option?

Looks like someone Googled 'other genders' and just copy-pasted the first two results.

Yea, transgender isn't a gender, it's a modifier. You can be transgender or cisgender but neither of those are your actual gender.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

DMx4sbjVoAItYvP.jpg

Hey what the fuck?

It's so god damn stupid that this is even a thing.

Most trans folk are within the binary, and I'd think that should be obvious.

I feel like there'd be a lot less confusion if not for assholes on social media going "ONLY TWO GENDERS" all the fucking time.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Hey what the fuck?

Yea, transgender isn't a gender, it's a modifier. You can be transgender or cisgender but neither of those are your actual gender.

Thank you. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. The fourth option is kind of a mess too, tbh.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I went to a pretty great wedding today. One groom was NYC Jewish, the other was Texan African American, both nerdy lawyers. There were short readings from the Bible and from Goodrich v. Dept. of Public Health. The reception was Texas barbecue and NY jewish deli. They did the horah and got lifted in chairs. Their groomspeople entered the ceremony to soundtracks from Final Fantasy and Zelda, they went up the aisle together to the award ceremony music at the end of Star Wars. At the end of the ceremony, they jumped over a broom and landed on cloth-wrapped glasses.

It was the most tradition-filled non-traditional wedding I've ever heard of. Not sure how they held it together, I was almost-crying the whole time.

Oh my god, this is amazing. I'm jealous of you getting to be there!!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

DMx4sbjVoAItYvP.jpg

Hey what the fuck?

It's so god damn stupid that this is even a thing.

Most trans folk are within the binary, and I'd think that should be obvious.

I feel like there'd be a lot less confusion if not for assholes on social media going "ONLY TWO GENDERS" all the fucking time.

It’s certainly a good way to pretend trans people don’t exist. After all if presented with that list I’d just answer female.

Assuming I didn’t just abandon the whole thing in disgust

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    It is a good way to go "Okay who is cis and who is trans:"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    It really doesn't seem like it would be hard to take that out of the gender question and just have a followup if cis/trans/prefer not to answer.
    Or keep the male/female/non-binary/trans/etc with checkboxes so you could select multiple answers.

What they did just like looks like someone doesn't know what the hell any gender stuff means so they shrugged and made that without asking anybody.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    It really doesn't seem like it would be hard to take that out of the gender question and just have a followup if cis/trans/prefer not to answer.
    Or keep the male/female/non-binary/trans/etc with checkboxes so you could select multiple answers.

What they did just like looks like someone doesn't know what the hell any gender stuff means so they shrugged and made that without asking anybody.

Trans/Cis needs to be a separate question, imo, because unlike gender, that is a binary, as the terms are logical inverses of one-another, and making trans a modifier by itself just reinforces the misconception that cis is the "default" state.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Why is any form asking about gender in 2017?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Because demographic info is still useful in 2017

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Then I demand to also be questioned about how much I like marshmallows.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    ameybes wrote: »

How much do you like marshmallows?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm so super sick of being reminded I'm trans nonstop that I generally just shy away when a survey, no matter how relevant the question is, asks me if I am.

Not that I hate being trans, but I much rather just... I dunno, talk as a bisexual/asexual person more often.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options

How much do you like marshmallows?

So much

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I guess my thing is that I want to be visibly trans for folks (esp queer folks) who need to see that in their lives and I also want to be invisible to corporations

I can't really do both but it'd be the ideal

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    When a form or survey asks me my gender, I ask it:

- is it to my advantage to surrender this information?
    - do you have an actual need to know?
    - do I have reason to believe you will act positively towards me if you know?
    - do I have reason to think you would even do anything with this info other than file it, or sell it, or do something trivial like automate using Ms/Mr/Mx on a future dispatch?

Not much makes it past all these questions.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    When a form or survey asks me my gender, I ask it:

- is it to my advantage to surrender this information?
    - do you have an actual need to know?
    - do I have reason to believe you will act positively towards me if you know?
    - do I have reason to think you would even do anything with this info other than file it, or sell it, or do something trivial like automate using Ms/Mr/Mx on a future dispatch?

Not much makes it past all these questions.

This sort of thinking is a good idea for any and all survey questions, really.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Well I've decided to give online dating a try. After a few suggestions from various friends I set up a profile on OkCupid. As someone who is polyamorous (or at least pretty sure they are) and bi/pan and trans I'm not quite sure how many good matches I'm going to get. Honestly though I'm pretty happy just meeting new friends on there.

I do like that OkCupid can, if you wanted to, hide your profile from straight people. I did that and while I feel a little mixed about it I figure it's probably going to cut out a lot of ignorant jerks who wouldn't want to date me anyways.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    It's been 10 years since I stopped looking for people to date through OKCupid so I have no idea how much has changed, but I found answering their surveys whenever I was bored really helped me find compatible people. I'm sure I answered thousands of them in total, but just tried not to overthink the question too much. I got plenty of friendly nerds for matches and some good dates out of it, as well as a friend and girlfriend.

Switching from straight to bi muddied it a bit because guys are way more ready to get gross and/or spam copy-pasted messages to anyone they want to put their dicks in but I found ignoring them easy-enough.

I wish you luck. Be brave! Message cute people and ask them out!

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I hate hormones.

I hate my hormones.
    I especially hate my birth control. It makes me feel bloated and disgusting half the month, and then i'm spotting the other half. I'm on the depo shot and the one side effect that everybody was concerned about for me (the weight gain) hasnt happened. But the fatigue, dizziness, spotting, breakthrough bleeding, and the complete loss of libido of any sort definitely has. Can't get pregnant if you don't want to even think about sex.

I get dizzy spells at least once a month. I've had a light period for about the last two weeks. Not enough to justify a tampon or a moon cup or even a panty liner, but it's there. every time I use the bathroom. I get hit with a wave of exhaustion that rivals the first trimester of being pregnant. And i"m frankly just plain fucking miserable.

So I've done a lot of thinking and decided i want to come off the hormones. We'll just go back to using condoms (gross) and having a somewhat heavy and frustrating period only once a month. Oh joy. But hey, at least i might get rid of some of the side effects. and I might even feel like being amorous with my husband again.

And now we come to my hesitation on posting.
    I can stop the hormones. I can just go back to being a 'natural' woman with crazy facial hair and monthly periods. I was taking these extra things as an almost vanity thing. Many of you are taking them because they will help you be who you are. and here I am being all "but I don't like how they make me feel" and it feels to me like the very clear example of some serious cis privilege. Some of you are fighting tooth and nail and going through hell just to be able to get to where I am deciding that I hate and it makes me feel awkward.

There was originally going to be a lot more to this post a few days ago, but I took some time to think about things and i'm a bit better with my decision.

For what it's worth, my partner switched from standard hormonal BC to a nexplanon implant and they LOVE the difference it's made - a lot of the bad things you're talking about were also their common complaints, and all of them went away with the implant. As an added bonus, they get periods like...1-3 times per year at most.

• Options
    Well I've decided to give online dating a try. After a few suggestions from various friends I set up a profile on OkCupid. As someone who is polyamorous (or at least pretty sure they are) and bi/pan and trans I'm not quite sure how many good matches I'm going to get. Honestly though I'm pretty happy just meeting new friends on there.

I do like that OkCupid can, if you wanted to, hide your profile from straight people. I did that and while I feel a little mixed about it I figure it's probably going to cut out a lot of ignorant jerks who wouldn't want to date me anyways.

I'd say the upside of less harassment is probably 10:1 if not better than possibly missing out on a cool straight person.

• Options
    The conference I’m at had a presentation on a very recent research study investigating the link between playing video games and mental health outcomes. The presenter showed us a bunch of the survey they used and the gender question was just m/f/nb/other. That is, for a research study that is opt-in to begin with, the best choice of answers I think?

Also the results of the study were super affirming: most video games are GREAT for mental health except like mobas which kinda suck mostly.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha wow, MOBAs are actually bad for you?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Considering the community inherent in mobas this avatar is my surprised face.

• Options
    Ha ha wow, MOBAs are actually bad for you?

For certain outcomes they were in the negatives yes. For some outcomes they were above average in the good.

But overall they were mostly pretty bad for you. (RPGs, adventure games, but especially RPGs had astoundingly high results in most positive outcomes).

Anyway I mostly wanted to mention the gender question because I was quite pleased when she showed the survey. Don’t want to start a big tangent here.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    RPGs are great for mental health? I've been taking care of my mind all my life without even realizing it.

Also now I can legitimately call a day off playing them as a mental health day.

This discussion has been closed.