As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBTQIAU]: Bigger than bigots. Everyone in this thread is gorgeous and amazing FYI

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh definitely.

I didn't mean to try and make it a great thing.

Just this odd mental shift in the co-worker struck me.

There's no positives to be had from the situation. None.

Other than Erin raining down hellfire.

But it's shit that it's even necessary.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    and it kinda feels dangerous to frame it in terms of "well at least that means he acknowledges she's a woman" for murky reasons I can't put into words exactly
    like it's sort of slightly kind of trying to justify the disrespect a little bit when no effort should be spent to justify it
    I understand the urge to find a bright side but I think it's dangerous here

My guess is that @lonelyahava may have meant something closer to "it sounds like you're starting to lose the male privilege you received when everybody (wrongly) assumed you were a dude, and it's hard to say if there's a positive in that or not?"

Maybe?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Funny story

Search the forums for "quiltbag" and you'll find a thread I made with that as part of the title, along with me being a terrible self hating queer.

It was a different (more hateful) time

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Partially what Creagan said too!

For some reason I'm really really bad at using words in this thread. I'm always afraid of stepping on people or upsetting somebody by using the wrong word or term or phrase.

I should really go back to just lurking, so I don't inadvertently praise the patriarchy again.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    edit: Nevermind. Joke didn't work.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    ...what did the manager do in response to that?

He looked absolutely confused. He isn't on our team anymore so I haven't told him. And I wasn't gonna do it right there because a shithead tried to out me.

Oh also he keeps like aggressively misgendering me? Some people will say "Erin said x" or "she told us the best way to do this ticket" and he will say "CHRIS said it" or "HE told you" like in the middle of them talking. I just remembered that.

Man, you know what? Fuck that guy. I told the team I would be tolerant of some acclimation time but that's not acclimation. That's just being a shit head.

I cut this guy too much slack huh

This guys sounds pretty hostile. Honestly I'd be worried he might escalate things eventually to physical violence by the sounds of it. Just sayin'. I wouldn't trust him.

Also, get HR to nuke him from orbit. He lost the the right to any goodwill the second he went full douchenozzle. Take care of yourself and be safe!

Yeah, that's setting off alarm bells for me too.

Be safe!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

For some reason I'm really really bad at using words in this thread. I'm always afraid of stepping on people or upsetting somebody by using the wrong word or term or phrase.

I should really go back to just lurking, so I don't inadvertently praise the patriarchy again.

Nope! You're in the room now! You can't hide in a corner!

*Hug*

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I never knew glee had ended.

Did they do much after Cory Monteith's death?

two years apparently

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I never knew glee had ended.

Did they do much after Cory Monteith's death?

two years apparently

That went on much longer than I thought then.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    That episode when he died and they did like a tribute fucked me up real hard.

I am a baby when it comes to goodbyes. At least...I am now

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    hi all, I'm a bi, and this thread rules

started painting my nails recently and I want aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the colours, but mostly I'm hunting for (1) the exact kind of red and blue that Travis McElroy has in the MBMBaM tv show, and (2) E V E R D A R K E R S H A D E S O F B L A C K

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Hey, I'm Fox and I'm late to the new thread. Also, I'm the L and T to my girlfriend's B, so make jokes as suits your means.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Psycohed wrote: »
    Hey, I'm Fox and I'm late to the new thread. Also, I'm the L and T to my girlfriend's B, so make jokes as suits your means.

Now I'm just hungry

And I don't even like BLTs

Hi I'm Ellie and I am a person

I think

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Re-introduction time! Wooo!

Hey all. I'm Raphael, and I'm a Canadian gay male who identifies with the bear subculture, married to another man, feel like I have too much privilege and wish I could share it with everyone who feels like they're struggling, or use it somehow like a superpower to shut down stupid geese who abuse theirs. This is why I come to this thread; to inform and educate myself and assist in smashing the patriarchy however I can, because we all deserve the same rights.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    LGBTQIA group meets at work in 2 days! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Now I'm just hungry

I think

Add Guacamole and you have an even more delicious and inclusive sandwich!

....shit now I'm hungry

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Now I'm just hungry

I think

Add Guacamole and you have an even more delicious and inclusive sandwich!

....shit now I'm hungry

I don't like bacon and uncooked tomatoes trigger my gag reflex

The worst part is I love tomatoes

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper on them have become a staple snack for me. I buy like 4-5 a week and use them just for that

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Stasis wrote: »

He looked absolutely confused. He isn't on our team anymore so I haven't told him. And I wasn't gonna do it right there because a shithead tried to out me.

Oh also he keeps like aggressively misgendering me? Some people will say "Erin said x" or "she told us the best way to do this ticket" and he will say "CHRIS said it" or "HE told you" like in the middle of them talking. I just remembered that.

Man, you know what? Fuck that guy. I told the team I would be tolerant of some acclimation time but that's not acclimation. That's just being a shit head.

This guy definitely posts condescending "TRIGGERED" reaction images on Facebook and aggressive "only two genders, sorry not sorry" memes.

If a coworker literally denying your identity and telling people you're a liar right in front of you isn't a hostile work environment, I don't know what is. He has forfeited all slack for everything ever.

I work in IT as well and I always thought that tech people were progressive/open and accepting. Turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong.

• Options
    Artoria wrote: »

This guy definitely posts condescending "TRIGGERED" reaction images on Facebook and aggressive "only two genders, sorry not sorry" memes.

If a coworker literally denying your identity and telling people you're a liar right in front of you isn't a hostile work environment, I don't know what is. He has forfeited all slack for everything ever.

I work in IT as well and I always thought that tech people were progressive/open and accepting. Turns out that I couldn't have been more wrong.

I think the biggest culture shock of getting a job working in (tabletop) gaming was finding out how colossally shitty a lot of those people can be. I remember thinking to myself "hold the phone, don't you fuckers love Star Trek? Were none of you paying attention??"

Turns out people's shittiness transcends hobby, profession, and logical progressions of facts.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I told my manager about it. I hate this whole situation but I trust her to handle it well. My stomach hurts now. Bleh

Just make sure you don't stay alone with this person at all, in any context. Gotta take care of yourself.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

In my experience, IT attracts a more liberally-minded personality in general, but mostly pulls from a fairly narrow demographic of people, which means a lot of social blindness and privilege to contend with. Also in my admittedly anecdotal experience, a lot of entitlement complexes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

In my experience, IT attracts a more liberally-minded personality in general, but mostly pulls from a fairly narrow demographic of people, which means a lot of social blindness and privilege to contend with. Also in my admittedly anecdotal experience, a lot of entitlement complexes.

I have no experience with IT, but I've been working in Silicon Valley for a while now. Engineers here, at least can get super libertarian. A lot of 'I worked hard why should my money be taxed' kind of stuff.

They do tend to lean socially liberal, but they can often end up in real insular bubbles of other tech bros. Without hands-on experience with other cultures and lifestyles, they can fall right down the asshole spiral and end up being the fucking worst.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    As a cultural group, nerds are actually basically the worst. There's a reason Garmergarte was the spawning pit/test bed of the alt-right.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    As a cultural group, nerds are actually basically the worst. There's a reason Garmergarte was the spawning pit/test bed of the alt-right.

Oh believe me, I know. I have friends who were on the frontline against that nonsense right at the very start.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

“It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.”

― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I think the biggest culture shock of getting a job working in (tabletop) gaming was finding out how colossally shitty a lot of those people can be. I remember thinking to myself "hold the phone, don't you fuckers love Star Trek? Were none of you paying attention??"

Turns out people's shittiness transcends hobby, profession, and logical progressions of facts.
    I mean, Star Trek has always had kind of a fuck-awful record in terms of putting its money where its mouth is with regard to gender and sexuality, so...

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    and it kinda feels dangerous to frame it in terms of "well at least that means he acknowledges she's a woman" for murky reasons I can't put into words exactly
    like it's sort of slightly kind of trying to justify the disrespect a little bit when no effort should be spent to justify it

My guess is that @lonelyahava may have meant something closer to "it sounds like you're starting to lose the male privilege you received when everybody (wrongly) assumed you were a dude, and it's hard to say if there's a positive in that or not?"

Maybe?

The term is 'passing privilege'

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

Maybe?

Thank you for clarifying! Just to make sure I understand the terminology, is that referring to passing as the sex you were assigned at birth, or the sex you present post-transition? (Or are both those things wrong and I just completely failed to understand this.)

Because with disability stuff, "passing" usually means you appear able. And so I always get thrown off when seeing that word applied to other situations.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Maybe?

Thank you for clarifying! Just to make sure I understand the terminology, is that referring to passing as the sex you were assigned at birth, or the sex you present post-transition? (Or are both those things wrong and I just completely failed to understand this.)

Because with disability stuff, "passing" usually means you appear able. And so I always get thrown off when seeing that word applied to other situations.

As i understand it, passing privilege means you look like a cishet person, basically.

Can apply both to closeted and out people.

• Options
    To quote these forums from a while back, also known as a Secret Gaygent.

• Options
    Got electrolysis rescheduled for Monday!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I have the hardest time NOT making a Dot Hack Sign reference whenever I learn someone is B & T respectively.

Like Amara, or Katelyn Burns.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I totally sympathize with you, here, @lonelyahava. I come across as very confident and certain of myself now, but that's only because I spent years and years learning from my social fumbles. I first started posting here in 2007, and I was a gibbering mess in those days. To anyone who hasn't seen me from way back then, you cannot imagine how cringeworthy so much of my early time here really was.

In the end, the only way forward is through. And any mistake you can learn something from is a mistake that makes you better equipped than you were before.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options

I <3 you all. Be you, and be proud of it.
    Have a fantastic day, friends.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Maybe?

As i understand it, passing privilege means you look like a cishet person, basically.

Can apply both to closeted and out people.

it's passing as the most socially advantageous group in general, just to be double clear

the person supposedly benefiting social constructs aren't actually privileged, since institutional oppression attacks on many, many fronts

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    THIS FUCKIN ALTRIGHT SHITLORD IN MY SPEECH CLASS JUST CALLED CNN THE CUCK NEWS NETWORK I AM ABOUT TO GODDAMN LOSE IT

despite not giving a shit about cnn

• Options
    THIS FUCKIN ALTRIGHT SHITLORD IN MY SPEECH CLASS JUST CALLED CNN THE CUCK NEWS NETWORK I AM ABOUT TO GODDAMN LOSE IT

despite not giving a shit about cnn

I dunno, I don't think not giving a shit about CNN and giving a shit about being in the presence of an objectively shitty and evil person aren't mutually exclusive. The former is the culmination of personality, life experience, and tastes in journalism, the latter just means you have a pulse.

Or in other words: feature, not bug

brig_banner.png
This discussion has been closed.