As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I even have two real full speed options which is a lot for the US but if Comcast and Verizon didn't both instantly do the worst possible thing I'd be shocked as hell, and there goes my two options.

Very few people have real competition from a regional player like Sonic or something specific like Condointernet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have satellite but it is crazy expensive for any kind of bandwidth and atrocious ping. Some secure websites don't even work due to timeout.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    there aren't many situations like this where consumers can fight back, but honestly, this is one of them

especially if you live in an urban area, but really any suburban neighborhood, if your ISP tries to pull this shit on you just threaten to cancel OR actually cancel

they're not in the food truck business, they can't just dig out the lines and move them somewhere else. they spent ridiculous mounts of money to put the fiber (or the cable) in the ground, and if they lose customers in meaningful numbers they will roll this shit back

they got away with data caps because MOST americans are not going to run across a 50TB data cap

but they'll do exactly everything they can do while keeping 85-90% of their current customer base, so loud and early, cancel that shit. drop cable packages, refuse phone service without concessions, etc, etc.. switch to LTE or even satellite, especially if you aren't a big gamer

Dude you know this advice is disingenuous at best.

"Don't like the price of electricity? Stop buying it! Wash your clothes by hand, light your house with candles!"

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Scott, gone too soon. We barely knew ye.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    This net neutrality shit is really depressing

Also uh, also not just as a consumer, but my job is at a tech company that does streaming and uh what’s gonna happen, help
    I like my job and my company

poo
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So what do I pay to access the forums once the internet is carved up into cable tv-esque packages?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    honovere on
  • Options
    Though zero rating is kind of against net neutrality principles and once he fcc allowed that we kinda hopped on that, as did most companies with enough size to

poo
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Won't vpn be a workaround for when companies get fucky with access to shit?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Won't vpn be a workaround for when companies get fucky with access to shit?

unless they block your VPN and start charging you for access to it

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So what do I pay to access the forums once the internet is carved up into cable tv-esque packages?

You buy VPN service and encrypt it and the fuzz can't see what kind of packets they are and use the other end to access the internet.

There's probably going to be huge pushback because a ton of people use VPNs for work and it's a service they're still going to have to provide.

The latency hit probably won't be worth it for games though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    my friend's brother started a VPN service a while back and is doing very well for himself, working out of his apartment basically
    this'll prob help him i spose

boy but the free speech implications to all this as well

ughhh

poo
  • Options

uber, the little company that just fucks up everything

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    holy shit

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Massdrop headphones are closer to HD600s than 650s, but yes, yes it is a very good deal.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So what would be the best way for a person to learn how to use bash?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Like how deep do you need to use it?

Like you can just treat it like a dos prompt if you know the most common commands

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Like you can just treat it like a dos prompt if you know the most common commands

I'm aware of that, and I do know a few things, but I would like to gain a better understanding of how to use it well and possibly get into scripting.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I'm aware of that, and I do know a few things, but I would like to gain a better understanding of how to use it well and possibly get into scripting.

That I can't much help you with unfortunately. The only script for bash I've made is to change the resolution in mint automatically when my brother was switching monitors.

• Options
    firefox quantum eats a downright disturbing amount of memory.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what's that?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    It's just what they're calling the latest version of Firefox.

• Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

My experience with it has been pretty good, even from running the beta. Do you have any particular extensions that could be the culprit?

Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    same, hasn't been eating notably more RAM than it always has for me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

Though realistically it is more like "learn the basic syntax and Google anything more complex" unless you do it a ton.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    quantum isn't eating more RAM for me...but it definitely feels slightly slower when looking up websites or googling stuff than chrome does which is..weird...and I'm not using any extensions right now that would be the culprit

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    quantum isn't eating more RAM for me...but it definitely feels slightly slower when looking up websites or googling stuff than chrome does which is..weird...and I'm not using any extensions right now that would be the culprit

You should try Google Ultron, it's pretty great. It's like Chrome, but NASA uses it.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

You should try Google Ultron, it's pretty great. It's like Chrome, but NASA uses it.

DON'T osYtE74.png USE osYtE74.png PROGRAMS osYtE74.png CALLED osYtE74.png ULTRON

SOKOIVA NEVER FORGET

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Once this books gets release I recommend it. His series of book comes of a bit condescending, but it's effective.

https://learncodethehardway.org/unix/

if you want to start off with the basics

https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/appendixa.html

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Tech thread my mother wants to stream stuff to her TV (hulu, amazon prime, netflix, etc)

The tv is like 7 years old so I dont think it can just be hooked up to the wifi and do all that on its own but its also in storage so i dont know for sure

Whats a good way to do that that isn't like a roku which apparently she used at an air bnb once and hated

If its something that needs to be broadcast from a computer she says shed be fine getting like a small tablet to do that from

I'm thinking like a chromecast type thing? But I'm super unfamiliar with what options are out there these days

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Does the TV have HDMI? Because a Chromecast needs HDMI.

But yeah, a Chromecast + a small tablet is a pretty good, easy way to do it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Yeah I know its got HDMI I just dont think its a smart tv or whatever the ones with all that streaming stuff built in are called

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SpazMuffin wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

My experience with it has been pretty good, even from running the beta. Do you have any particular extensions that could be the culprit?

Just Adblock and noscript.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Yeah I know its got HDMI I just dont think its a smart tv or whatever the ones with all that streaming stuff built in are called

Yeah get a Chromecast and use a tablet or her phone.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Some people can't do that if there is no other option.

Most people can't do that because there is no other option.

yeah, it is an insane assertion

at this point, Comcast's largest claim to fame is that they have the worst customer satisfaction and service in an industry that is known for having the worst customer satisfaction and service, and it clearly hasn't affected their take because otherwise they would have tried to fix that

consumers do not currently have any way to exert pressure on broadband providers

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Tech thread my mother wants to stream stuff to her TV (hulu, amazon prime, netflix, etc)

The tv is like 7 years old so I dont think it can just be hooked up to the wifi and do all that on its own but its also in storage so i dont know for sure

Whats a good way to do that that isn't like a roku which apparently she used at an air bnb once and hated

If its something that needs to be broadcast from a computer she says shed be fine getting like a small tablet to do that from

I'm thinking like a chromecast type thing? But I'm super unfamiliar with what options are out there these days

Chromecast seems like a good bet.

Also they would be bigger and you would need to check what apps they could run, but you could get your hands on a 360 or ps3 and use those. (And would have the bonus of having a remote) And a more expensive option would be the modern consoles also.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I bought my mom an Amazon fire stick, I haven't heard any complaints

Except they pre program it with my login so she's fucking up my recommendations ;(((((((

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What is a good keyboard/mouse to use with a steamlink? My sister in law wants to play Stardew Valley on her TV.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.