As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Knight_ wrote: »
    idk i've seen a lot of stuff that indicates those big transactions are just wash and the ability to cash out in any real way is significantly limited.

Whether wash trading is happening is definitely a good question, but I know for a fact it is quite possible to cash out large amounts of bitcoin to US dollars. Which isn't to necessarily say that will always be the case - if there were a panic and "bank run" effect, BTC-USD liquidity could dry up. But at the moment, it is absolutely possible. And Coinbase is FDIC insured, so any cash held there up to 250k is backed by good old Uncle Sam.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/KeySmart-Classic-Compact-Keychain-Organizer/dp/B00JOFJJ5Y

The 1/2 star reviews are because people aren't balancing these things right. You've got to have enough keys to justify using it, so like 1-2 keys isn't great, but if you've got like 3 work keys and 4 personal keys like I do it's pretty good.

I've had mine for almost 3 years now, I love it.

I only have two keys and I had one and absolutely loved it (before I lost it).

The other slots were taken up by a USB drive and a bottle opener though, so it was all good.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    idk i've seen a lot of stuff that indicates those big transactions are just wash and the ability to cash out in any real way is significantly limited.

Whether wash trading is happening is definitely a good question, but I know for a fact it is quite possible to cash out large amounts of bitcoin to US dollars. Which isn't to necessarily say that will always be the case - if there were a panic and "bank run" effect, BTC-USD liquidity could dry up. But at the moment, it is absolutely possible. And Coinbase is FDIC insured, so any cash held there up to 250k is backed by good old Uncle Sam.

You're limited based on what people are buying, expect to lose at least 50% of the value.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Not sure I'm following? Lose 50% of what value?

sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Someone give me $1,000 in bitcoin and I'll test cashing out for everyone.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Of the USD/BTC price. Order books are incredibly thin - trying to sell any large quantity of Bitcoin at once will see you going waaaaay down the price list.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited December 2017

Of the USD/BTC price. Order books are incredibly thin - trying to sell any large quantity of Bitcoin at once will see you going waaaaay down the price list.

Yup.

I don't agree that BTC has its own native value. It's relative to real world currencies.

Sure you can probably get $100 out, or $1000, and maybe even $5000 (after you pay a stupid amount of fees). But once you get into large volumes, you're start losing a large sum of the value because it's harder to find buyers.

It's a wow auction house where you're trying to cash out some esoteric value of wool cloth instead of selling the smallest unit people buy in bulk and eating the fees.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Does the KeySmart thing only really work for normal sized keys? I have a huge one for my apartment. The head of the key is like twice the size of normal ones.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mine held a WR6/KW1 size key with no problem at all.

I think you'd only really run into a problem if it were thicker than the average key.

Psykoma on
    Yeah the key is the hole in the key can't be weirdly shaped (and needs to be in the middle) and it needs to be as thick as a normal key.

It'll probably just extend out from the top a bit.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You can of course cut down the head of your key, too.

You can of course cut down the head of your key, too.

Make a copy if you intend to do so so you don't ruin the apartment complex's key.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wonder if my school keys would fit on one of these, They are longer than house keys and can not be duplicated or modified.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I've been looking for an old computer to play around with and there's someone relatively nearby selling a pair of Commodore 64s with a bunch of accessories (pair of floppy drives, a printer, a pair of modems, some joysticks) for $250. If both of them work (they "light up" when plugged in but aren't tested beyond that) I could sell off half of the package on eBay to recoup most of the purchase price.

But I don't know if I want to throw out $250 for hardware that might not work...

I wonder if my school keys would fit on one of these, They are longer than house keys and can not be duplicated or modified.

@timspork's ghost

Are they longer than any of these? The bronze one on the right is the longest and it fits okay.

uos7SjZ.png

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    bowen wrote: »

@timspork's ghost

Are they longer than any of these? The bronze one on the right is the longest and it fits okay.

uos7SjZ.png

Yeah that looks about the right size. Thanks!

I ordered one. Now to see if my key for the lights fits on it. It is one of those weird two prong thin metal keys to flick a switch that is behind a security cover.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Huh, so my new Pixel 2 seems to no longer be outputting sound through the USB-C port. I was listening to a podcast and there was some static and then the audio just died. I plugged the headphones into my work PC to check if they were the problem but they work fine.

I just hope it's the adapter or something and not the USB-C port. I can't test if it still charges or whatever because I don't have a charger at work.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've been looking for an old computer to play around with and there's someone relatively nearby selling a pair of Commodore 64s with a bunch of accessories (pair of floppy drives, a printer, a pair of modems, some joysticks) for $250. If both of them work (they "light up" when plugged in but aren't tested beyond that) I could sell off half of the package on eBay to recoup most of the purchase price.

But I don't know if I want to throw out $250 for hardware that might not work...

There are to many potential problems with it beyond the lights. one of the most common symptoms is just a black screen like on mine. hard to diagnose to without a working unit to swap ic around.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Are there any numbers for how many people have successfully found jobs through the Udacity Nanodegree program?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Totally ordered one of those compact keychains.

I have 13 fucking keys on my keychain at the moment.

mcp on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm glad my job doesn't weigh me down with keys, I don't think I would like it. All I've got is house key, car fob, a smaller fob that opens all the doors at the library, and my mailbox key. I've got a physical master key in case the fob readers stop working, but I keep that in the ashtray of my car since it's used so infrequently.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I actually only have two keys besides my car key.

IT's just a huge pain in the butt because they way they hang off my belt loop sometimes hit the panic button on my car key.

Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm glad my job doesn't weigh me down with keys, I don't think I would like it. All I've got is house key, car fob, a smaller fob that opens all the doors at the library, and my mailbox key. I've got a physical master key in case the fob readers stop working, but I keep that in the ashtray of my car since it's used so infrequently.

I have a master key for all the interior doors in my school because I'm a cool Librarian who needs that I guess. However the door to my office uses a different key that no other keys can unlock so I have that. Also a key for the server room for some reason. Also a special "key" for the lights, two for drawers at the circ desk, and two different laptop cart keys.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

Late but you should be fine. I worked at a school where the IT desktop folks all used those. I'm guessing the facility folks did too, just never was able to confirm that.

e: I carry two sets of keys. One is my car key and fob with an Avengers symbol that's about an inch or so diameter, and my house key with a Carolina Panther's bottle opener, those are joined by a quick connect. The other set of keys is basically one of everything, house key, my car, wife's car, office door, parent's house, firebox, all on a keyring. That one goes in my other hip pocket, so I always have a spare on me, just in case.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Huh, so my new Pixel 2 seems to no longer be outputting sound through the USB-C port. I was listening to a podcast and there was some static and then the audio just died. I plugged the headphones into my work PC to check if they were the problem but they work fine.

I just hope it's the adapter or something and not the USB-C port. I can't test if it still charges or whatever because I don't have a charger at work.

I had this same problem last week during my bus commute - once I was at work, it took a few restarts and repeated plugging and unplugging the USB-C dongle to get it to work again, not exactly sure what the fix was, but fingers crossed it doesn't happen again (ha...)

I miss the 3.5mm jack so much. My headphones have modular cables so was hoping the manufacturer would release a USB-C cable with mic/controls, but not holding my breath.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
    edited December 2017

I had this same problem last week during my bus commute - once I was at work, it took a few restarts and repeated plugging and unplugging the USB-C dongle to get it to work again, not exactly sure what the fix was, but fingers crossed it doesn't happen again (ha...)

I miss the 3.5mm jack so much. My headphones have modular cables so was hoping the manufacturer would release a USB-C cable with mic/controls, but not holding my breath.

I was going to buy new headphones anyway, this just accelerated the purchasing. Went with some wireless Sennheisers. It's crazy how much better they sound over bluetooth than the Sol Republic Master Tracks Studio XC cans I had did over a wired connection.

Edit: I'm still going to contact Google support and ask for a replacement adapter. I tried restarting a bunch, playing with settings, and even updated to Android 8.1 (got the OTA update today) to no avail.

jgeis on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nest customer support is a delight. It looks like the wifi chip in my thermostat has popped as it now can't see any networks at all, let alone my home network, so I called them up expecting an arduous call with tons of troubleshooting steps and 3 minutes later I've got a replacement coming out and they've arranged collection of the busted one for after they've confirmed the new one has been connected to my account.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    San Francisco is using robots to keep homeless people from making tent cities.

I've seen enough movies where I don't like the idea of security robots.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

fuck this narc robo

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    whyd they put cats on it

Jasconius wrote: »
    whyd they put cats on it

the spca rents it out to keep hobos off their sidewalk

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    of course it's a tech startup's product designed to DISRUPT THE SECURITY GUARD MARKET by renting out robots for a couple dollars less per hour than the minimum wage a security guard would get

fuck off with that shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »

The city itself isn't using them, it's the SPCA in the city. The city government is threatening to fine the SPCA for the use of the robot.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    of course it's a tech startup's product designed to DISRUPT THE SECURITY GUARD MARKET by renting out robots for a couple dollars less per hour than the minimum wage a security guard would get

fuck off with that shit

and also offloading enforcement cost to the municipality in all cases. sounds like modern capitalism.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    yeah that headline is misleading, the city of san francisco is not using robots, private businesses in the city of san francisco are and the city is kind of pissed off about it and telling them to keep the things off public sidewalks or get fined.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Do you guys want robocop?

Because this is how things lead to robocop.

i'm surprised people haven't knocked these things over, smashed them open and taken all the parts to sell for scrap

Are we getting the Alex Murphy robocop or the Cain robocop?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I mean, Robobocop or his world?

We'd save a guys life with Robocop and get a good cop!

This is a tough one. Just no AI's!

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i'm surprised people haven't knocked these things over, smashed them open and taken all the parts to sell for scrap

I tried that before in Vegas, but then all the city guards turned hostile and I couldn't walk around anymore without getting shot.

This discussion has been closed.