As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Ask your mum

Bloody hell @Tube

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know my work.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think my ps4 hdd is dying.

Is making some pretty fucking rough noises on boot.

What's a good replacement drive for the ps4?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kinda wish my PS4 would die so I'd have an excuse to buy a pro.

That is also pretty crazy to want.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think my ps4 hdd is dying.

Is making some pretty fucking rough noises on boot.

What's a good replacement drive for the ps4?

A lot of people recommend the Seagate FireCuda line of SSHDs.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular

Well if the end goal is to have a PS4 Pro, you're better off financially if you trade in a working system.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I just sold my ps4 when I got a pro.

Works perfectly, so I got a good 250 for it.

My excuse was that I sold my ps4.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    So, six years ago I built my current PC, and now I need to do some upgrades/build new.

I used a guide that had different levels of builds that I believe I got from a tech thread back then, but my search skills have failed me. Does anyone know what I'm rambling about or know where that guide is? I didn't save a link because I am a silly billy.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    So, six years ago I built my current PC, and now I need to do some upgrades/build new.

I used a guide that had different levels of builds that I believe I got from a tech thread back then, but my search skills have failed me. Does anyone know what I'm rambling about or know where that guide is? I didn't save a link because I am a silly billy.

Possibly: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ ?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    That is absolutely it!

Thank you!

EDIT: I remembered to bookmark it this time.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I think... Yes I have ordered a replacement back glass and headphone jack for my phone. I trust my own ability to plug in a tiny ribbon cable.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Hey, does anyone happen to know how to enable certain ports on a FiOS router for a specific IP?

I've spent the majority of today trying to fix my ethernet-connected PS4's network issues and I have a list of ports that I'm supposed to make sure are enabled and no idea how to do so in the router settings

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Okay so first off you are going to need a calf and a silver dagger...

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Okay so first off you are going to need a calf and a silver dagger...

does a fucking bull work? In the process of completing this quest I have traveled to spain and found a tired but useable bull? He seems upset but not nearly as fucking mad as me

also frontier's customer service sucks

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Tommy which model router?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Frontier has got to be near the top of the pack for worst fucking customer service in history. Also my wife just cracked her 6 month old LG G6 so I guess it is new phone time for her lol. It went right through the front facing camera, but otherwise it still works for now.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

honestly, I have no idea outside of the fact that it is a Verizon FiOS router with a netgear switch

I could probably look up the exact specs in the router settings but I am so burnt out from looking at that page all day

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    got a pixel 2 to replace my 6p.

All in all, a damn fine phone.

• Options

honestly, I have no idea outside of the fact that it is a Verizon FiOS router with a netgear switch

I could probably look up the exact specs in the router settings but I am so burnt out from looking at that page all day

for the record it just started working again

fucking inexplicably

after I noted a bunch of security logs on my router showing that the ports were being blocked on my PS4

fuck frontier

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. Was told that the calculator in new iOS won't add correctly.

Tried adding 1+2+3. Got 24. Apparently if you press the buttons at a normal speed it won't register the addition between 2 and 3.

This is amazing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just tried it. That's pretty messed up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Yeah I was initially like, "There is no way that is true." Two seconds later. Yup totally true.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm just so afraid that this bug is going to lose us another Mars orbiter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    NASA uses Macs?

WE'RE DOOMED.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it was very brave of apple to screw up a four function calculator.

some said it couldn't be done, but here we are.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Apple is paving the way towards the next big thing in math. Math so uncertain that it's actually freedom. Some may call it the apple math experience, but apple is calling it The apple math revolution! Imath for short.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just another revelation from the world's most courageous electronic goods manufacturer.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Took the case off my phone like six months ago and the bastard thing still won't break

I want a Note 8 dangit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Pixel 2 XL screen might have a problem with burn ins after only a couple days uf use:

https://theverge.com/2017/10/22/16518298/google-investigating-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in

A few other testers are reporting the same issue.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Yeah I was initially like, "There is no way that is true." Two seconds later. Yup totally true.

I absolutely ready to call bullshit

tried it once, realized I was going slower than normal

tried it again, ended up with 24, then 38 on the third try

someone please tell me that 28008 is still okay

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The best thing was that when I replied to them with "it seems like your algorithm could use work" they said "Could you pass this on to the right person to see if they'd be interested?"

No.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Huh. Was told that the calculator in new iOS won't add correctly.

Tried adding 1+2+3. Got 24. Apparently if you press the buttons at a normal speed it won't register the addition between 2 and 3.

This is amazing.

'"1 + 1" it could manage ("2"), and "1 + 2" ("3") and "2 + 2" ("4") or "tan 74" ("3.4874145"), but anything above "4" it represented merely as "A Suffusion of Yellow".

• Options
    Look. They needed to make sure the burst of white when pressing a button is as smooth as possible. If that takes up too much proccessor power and slows down responsiveness, then that is just the price we pay for that interface. It is as the god-emperor Jobs would have wanted.

• Options
    Hmmmm, system info doesn't list my motherboard model number, and I can't see it on the board itself.

It's not super important to get a new motherboard, right? I can just add RAM, a new CPU, and a second GPU and have no problems, right?

RIGHT?!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm, system info doesn't list my motherboard model number, and I can't see it on the board itself.

It's not super important to get a new motherboard, right? I can just add RAM, a new CPU, and a second GPU and have no problems, right?

RIGHT?!

by system info you mean in the bios?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

RIGHT?!

Go to Search, type cmd, and open Command Prompt

In the Command Prompt, enter the following command and press Enter:
    wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    The most important things to look at will be current RAM type and speed, CPU socket type, and PCI-E channels.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

RIGHT?!

by system info you mean in the bios?
    fk128qvhsj7z.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It should be on the motherboard physically with a version and model number, just crank out a picture.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    God dammit bowen, your sig.

Every damn time.

This discussion has been closed.