As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Thats called brushing!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Question!

Assuming it’s not an official copyrighted video, say for example of an artist posting their own music video, is it illegal to rip the audio from a YouTube video to an mp3 format or similar?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    In other tech news, the thing I did order, which arrived today also from amazon but in a separate package, was a new mouse. I got a Logitech G305. I've never had a real "gaming" mouse before. It has a DPI switch! There is a program I can download to change the buttons! High DPI is way too high jesus!

Yeah I thought about using multiple DPI settings but I just turned off all of the extra DPI settings, found the one that I like, and remapped all of the buttons to things I actually use.
    I disabled the DPI switch button on mine. Also in my case it's sort of annoying it can't be programmed to be used as another generic mouse button.

That stinks. Logitech lets you remap everything, which is nice.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm currently in a phase where I love all the LEDs, as long as they are RGB programmable. I picked up a corsair mouse which is awesome, and glows a sweet purple color. Now I want a keyboard and case to match.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    Question!

Assuming it’s not an official copyrighted video, say for example of an artist posting their own music video, is it illegal to rip the audio from a YouTube video to an mp3 format or similar?

It's in violation of some DMCA copyright stuff. Everything made is copyright its owner (more or less) so you should ask for permission to use it. If you're nice they'll probably say "sure go ahead".

Some things get exception to copyright laws, like parodies and all that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Question!

It's in violation of some DMCA copyright stuff. Everything made is copyright its owner (more or less) so you should ask for permission to use it. If you're nice they'll probably say "sure go ahead".

Some things get exception to copyright laws, like parodies and all that.

youtube also has its own copyright stuff, so even if an artist gives their permission you might still technically be breaking the law by downloading off youtube

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    In other tech news, the thing I did order, which arrived today also from amazon but in a separate package, was a new mouse. I got a Logitech G305. I've never had a real "gaming" mouse before. It has a DPI switch! There is a program I can download to change the buttons! High DPI is way too high jesus!

Yeah I thought about using multiple DPI settings but I just turned off all of the extra DPI settings, found the one that I like, and remapped all of the buttons to things I actually use.
    I disabled the DPI switch button on mine. Also in my case it's sort of annoying it can't be programmed to be used as another generic mouse button.

mine's a logitech G pro!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    SirToasty wrote: »

mine's a logitech G pro!

Well shit!

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I used to be able to remap those but the windows 10 version of the logitech app no longer recognizes my mouse. It's dumb.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    ....wow.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have officially offered Elon my services as a joke coach.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Figuring out what top-level domains mean is hard okay.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It's almost like hero worship of our celebrity oligarchs is a bad idea, founded on the mistaken premise that they are better/smarter people.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would like to think Musk was joking, but I'm not so sure

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He may be a raging asshole, but he has a point there (even if he got the law wrong, which if he didn't just makes it stronger).

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I would like to think Musk was joking, but I'm not so sure

billionaires *throws confetti*

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    That's not really how it works though. His employees would be in violation of the law, not the journalist if an employee broke NDA in discussing something

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah why are you showing stuff that's classified to someone without clearance?

Idiot.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    There's another example of Musk doing the same thing and it's like

lololololololoololol

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    For being a techno messiah Musk sure does have a lot of time to respond to twitter call outs

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Hey here's an idea Elon

Don't do press tours!

Otherwise get a PR firm cause boy I think you're gonna fucking need one soon

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got a lengthy ad for Facebook on Hulu. It was an attempt to walk back the whole election bot/fake news boondoggle but mostly it jyst came off as a creepy alien attempt to mimic human behavior.
    So, about 60% sure the Zuck scripted it himself.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah why are you showing stuff that's classified to someone without clearance?

Idiot.

Not just a clearance, but an need to know as well.

N2K. If you have to ask, you don't have it.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm personally a fan of Musk continuing to make a fool of himself in full view of the public

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "globalists", c'mon people. And no, it's TOTALLY not a dog whistle for "Jews"! Honest!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fun fact, ol' Musky's parents moved to South Africa during Apartheid.

• Options
    if anyone's confused, just read the responses to that tweet

just be prepared for disgusting displays of antisemitism

and, lord, I knew he was a shithead but this is going shoulder deep

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I just want to rant for a moment.

I fucking hate computers. I hate that stuff just stops working and I have to google obscure things to try and track down the root cause. Fuck the PC master race. I just want to plug something in and it works and it stays working.

My expensive mic stopped working weeks ago and I've tried everything I can to get it working again but I have absolutely no idea what the problem is because there's no errors it just doesn't pick up sound anymore.

So I give up. You win technology. I just can't be fucking bothered anymore. I don't want to have to have a degree in building a pc to get a fucking usb microphone to work.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I mean, if Jewish people really control everything, don't you think they'd do more about antisemitism?

So dumb.

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »

This was in response to the tweet immediately above, which asked "Do you think the rich/powerful want a weak media or a strong media?"

So his answer being "Who do you think owns the press?" is meant to signify "yes, the rich/powerful want a strong media, and they want to wield its strength to control their personal narrative"

Musk is an idiot and a shithead, but probably don't post that tweet anywhere else. Posting those tweets out of context just helps out the alt-right even more by saying "see, this genius guy supports us too!"

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
  • Options
    Could someone please explain that Captain America meme? I don't remember the context of that scene at all.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Could someone please explain that Captain America meme? I don't remember the context of that scene at all.

They are school educational videos. He comes out and tells kids about detention, or the value of patience.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    So... Elon Musk needs to go to after school detention, and think about what he did.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just want to rant for a moment.

I fucking hate computers. I hate that stuff just stops working and I have to google obscure things to try and track down the root cause. Fuck the PC master race. I just want to plug something in and it works and it stays working.

My expensive mic stopped working weeks ago and I've tried everything I can to get it working again but I have absolutely no idea what the problem is because there's no errors it just doesn't pick up sound anymore.

So I give up. You win technology. I just can't be fucking bothered anymore. I don't want to have to have a degree in building a pc to get a fucking usb microphone to work.

Is the microphone broken?

• Options
    So... Elon Musk needs to go to after school detention, and think about what he did.

Mostly accurate.

People just need to stop doing tweet-fests, for the same reason AMAs are a bad idea 98% of the time. Even if your message is a decent one, which in this case it wasn't, you're not going to get it out the way you want it to.

This discussion has been closed.