As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just want to rant for a moment.

I fucking hate computers. I hate that stuff just stops working and I have to google obscure things to try and track down the root cause. Fuck the PC master race. I just want to plug something in and it works and it stays working.

My expensive mic stopped working weeks ago and I've tried everything I can to get it working again but I have absolutely no idea what the problem is because there's no errors it just doesn't pick up sound anymore.

So I give up. You win technology. I just can't be fucking bothered anymore. I don't want to have to have a degree in building a pc to get a fucking usb microphone to work.

Is the microphone broken?

can you get it to work on another PC?

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Did you update to the newest W10? I know there's been some audio driver issues with that update

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So... Elon Musk needs to go to after school detention, and think about what he did.

Mostly accurate.

People just need to stop doing tweet-fests, for the same reason AMAs are a bad idea 98% of the time. Even if your message is a decent one, which in this case it wasn't, you're not going to get it out the way you want it to.

Oh, ok, thank you

Even with the link of the scene, I still wasn't quite getting it.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Doobh wrote: »

This was in response to the tweet immediately above, which asked "Do you think the rich/powerful want a weak media or a strong media?"

So his answer being "Who do you think owns the press?" is meant to signify "yes, the rich/powerful want a strong media, and they want to wield its strength to control their personal narrative"

Musk is an idiot and a shithead, but probably don't post that tweet anywhere else. Posting those tweets out of context just helps out the alt-right even more by saying "see, this genius guy supports us too!"

"Who do you think owns the press?" is a fucking byline for white supremacists

don't even pretend this isn't at least suspicious as hell

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'll buy that he isn't a white supremacist

no big deal, right

he only accidentally rallied a bunch white supremacists because he's that much of a chucklehead

clearly the alt-right is having lots of trouble claiming ownership without my help

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm not going to say he's a white supremacist.

But I'm certainly thinking it loudly.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    These last several posts have been a roller coaster jesus.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I'll be honest

waving my fears away like it's nothing, and then implying that I'm actually helping the white supremacists kinda pisses me off

Miss me? Find me on:

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Holy shit Elon hire a fucking a PR firm jesus

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay fine. I've officially started a new PC build. The Define R6 case was 20% off on newegg.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

now that I think about it some more that'd really only cover up the fact that he's a shithead and not actually change his views

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

now that I think about it some more that'd really only cover up the fact that he's a shithead and not actually change his views

While this is sort of true, a good PR department can do a lot to channel a company into being overall a force for good even if the owners are shitheads. "Let's help this [underprivileged group] because it's something near and dear to your heart" and "Let's help this [underprivileged group] to cover up the fact you're a giant turd" can have much the same outcome.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Someone walk me through liquid cooling and if I need to even do it if I don’t overclock.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rich people are inherently monstrous

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Someone walk me through liquid cooling and if I need to even do it if I don’t overclock.

Absolutely not.

Absolutely not.

Okay good. It looks scary. It has been a while since I fully built a computer. Only going to keep my 1070.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

It's almost never NEEDED. You can get similar results with the giant tower coolers from Noctua, beQuite or any of the other major manufacturers. If you do want to go with water, an AIO gets the job done with a minimum of fuss. JayzTwoCents has a good primer he put out at the beginning of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2KvawDP10

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All-in-ones are pretty simple, I've got one on my CPU. But then I'm running my 3770K at 4.4 GHz. Plus this computer was meant to be a put it together and not have to worry about touching it again (except to clean it) for as long as possible, and really the only thing holding me back in any way right now is my GTX680.

If you're running at stock speeds the stock cooler is fine, if you want quieter then the latest version of the 212 should keep you cool and quiet, and it's ~$30.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Nope.

Liquid coolings main focus is for overclocking or getting a computer near silent. If you're going the silent route make sure to get case fans, graphic cards and a power supply that all work towards that goal or watercooling isn't going to help there.

I've been running the stock air cooler on my i5 for years and it runs just fine and isn't loud at all.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

If you're not doing serious overclocking you absolutely don't need a liquid cooling setup. Stock fan and heatsink is plenty.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well, I don't know about a stock heatsink. I tend to prefer getting a moderately nicer one than what comes stock.

Any opinions on a R7 2700X?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Well, I don't know about a stock heatsink. I tend to prefer getting a moderately nicer one than what comes stock.

If you aren't overclocking at all then the stock cooler is plenty. Even Intel's coolers are 100% fine and they're the worse of the two.

AMD's Ryzen coolers, even the lesser Wraith Stealth, are actually good enough to support light overclocking.

I always get my build advice from the PC build thread in the technology tavern subforum of G&T

BahamutZERO.gif
    Any opinions on a R7 2700X?

It's arguably the best high-end desktop CPU for mixed use. If you're going to game and stream, or do anything that can leverage a lot of CPU cores, it's the best choice among mainstream desktop processors. Intel can still put down better absolute results in gaming, but the difference in FPS between the 2700X and Intel's 8700K is less than 10%.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Water-cooling my Titan puts it in a while new tier. It's also really fun to do.

But, it isn't necessary.

How much ram should I be looking at?

16 GB system RAM is a good target now, 8 GB at a minimum

BahamutZERO.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    16 GB system RAM is a good target now, 8 GB at a minimum

I know ram prices are up but I would shoot for 32gb with a minimum of 16.

Any other ram specs or brands I should look for? Obviously I’m getting DDR4.

edited May 2018
    eh I run with 8 GB and keep a memory-hungry browser open in the background while I play vidja gaems and never notice it, games make do pretty well. Alt-tabbing is quick and responsive.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    If you go Ryzen, they love fast RAM. RAM is kinda in a weird place between the price, compatibility issues, and importance of speed/number of RAM slots occupied.

A good place to start is to pick a motherboard and CPU, then checking the motherboard manufacturer's website for the RAM QVL (qualified vendor list). That'll tell you what RAM is compatible with your board and the speed you can expect. Then try to find the 16GB kit with the best speed to price ratio.

For a 2700X I think 2933MHz is the sweet spot but if you can swing faster or find a cheaper 2800MHZ kit or whatever that's totally fine.

Just download more ram

Just download more ram

Through the internet tubes, correct?

eh I run with 8 GB and keep a memory-hungry browser open in the background while I play vidja gaems and never notice it, games make do pretty well. Alt-tabbing is quick and responsive.

I'm just thinking future proofing. depending on the amount of RAM slots I would plan to do an upgrade to 32gb at some point, so if there are 4 slots I would go with 2 sticks of 8gb to take advantage of dual channel, and then there will still be a couple slots open for an upgrade down the line. Can't have enough RAM.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If I was building now I'd want 32, but that's me and want is different from get with prices still being messed up. Otherwise, yeah, what Bahamut said.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd heavily consider an AIO CPU liquid cooling solution though. The radiator and pump are way quieter than most fans I've used.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    In my old PC I had a i5-2500K OC'd to 4.0GHz on stock cooling and it survived multiple Aussie summers in an unair-con'd hotbox of an apartment, so it's not always mandatory to upgrade the cooling.. but it's never a bad idea to. My newer rig has an AIO water cooler on the CPU and it's lovely and quiet, mainly due to larger/slower fans than stock cooling and the (Asus Dual fan) 1070 is waaaaaaaaay quieter than the old Radeon HD6970.

pimento on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    look.

I just want a VR mechwarrior or flight sim.

You'd think something like a combat flight sim would be the first big game to come out on VR, but apparently no...

Like EVE: Valkyrie that was literally developed as a VR game from the beginning?

This discussion has been closed.