As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    R-dem wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Except, again, it's not equivalent to the n-word or anything like it. It's not an attack on her for being a women, it's an attack on her for being a really really awful piece of human trash.

Roseanne was criticized and rightly for being a fucking racist. She called a black person an ape for fuck's sake. This is not the same fucking thing.

The only thing that provided the other side ammunition was the apology.

It's not the exact same, and that does not excuse or exonerate Samantha Bee.

Edit: Never mind, this wasn't relevant to first amendment.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    I think it's important to know this is also the 1 year anniversary of Kathy Griffin's photo shoot and she has a 52 tweet long thread about her experiences in the past year that might provide extra context for what Samantha Bee may have been thinking.

Here's a link to the tweets mentioned, she saved it up into a thread. It's fairly chilling, and EVERYONE should read it.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1002069057468747778

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I think it's important to know this is also the 1 year anniversary of Kathy Griffin's photo shoot and she has a 52 tweet long thread about her experiences in the past year that might provide extra context for what Samantha Bee may have been thinking.

Here's a link to the tweets mentioned, she saved it up into a thread. It's fairly chilling, and EVERYONE should read it.

...god damn. That's scary shit, and she's absolutely right.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Reading that, and particularly the role that the Trumps had in encouraging their followers' response, I kept thinking of a term well known to those who follow (the activities of) a certain alleged church:
    "Fair Game".

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I forgot that happened. I don't know which is worse - people being that thin skinned over an obviously joking image or people unashamedly pretending to be upset as a means of ideological masturbation.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I forgot that happened. I don't know which is worse - people being that thin skinned over an obviously joking image or people unashamedly pretending to be upset as a means of ideological masturbation.

TBH, it's not ideological masturbation. At least, it's not for these people. For them it's their "Gondor calls for aide!" moment. They see this as their way of contributing to the success of the "battle" such as it is. The dog-piling, the doxing, all of it is about putting whatever effort they can forward to whatever they imagine the goal to be. Taking down the powers which keep them down, I guess. It's how we ended up with the doubleplusgood alt-right language of cucks and triggered and so forth. People who never learned how to be, well, themselves who have taken on someone else's ready-made mantle of personality and therefore does whatever it is they're asked to do. Story as long as human history, welcome to the 21st century version of it.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    In their hearts, they're doing their part to Preserve America - the real America, pure and white and traditional Family Values - against all the corrupt influences, the communists ((globalists)) and libtards and "elites" trying to poison and destroy it. And if they can do that just by participating in a Two Minute Hate against whoever Big Brother tells them to, all the better.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

TBH, it's not ideological masturbation. At least, it's not for these people. For them it's their "Gondor calls for aide!" moment. They see this as their way of contributing to the success of the "battle" such as it is. The dog-piling, the doxing, all of it is about putting whatever effort they can forward to whatever they imagine the goal to be. Taking down the powers which keep them down, I guess. It's how we ended up with the doubleplusgood alt-right language of cucks and triggered and so forth. People who never learned how to be, well, themselves who have taken on someone else's ready-made mantle of personality and therefore does whatever it is they're asked to do. Story as long as human history, welcome to the 21st century version of it.

Basically, think about the people calling up advertisers demanding they drop X right-wing host for being a horrible bigot. Now imagine instead that you are a right-wing bigot and instead of boycotts you prefer death threats and campaigns of harassment.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So.. ideological circle jerk?

I'm not sure if I should be glad that their view of the world is so foreign to me that I can't actually mimic the thought processes they use to get there

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So.. ideological circle jerk?

I'm not sure if I should be glad that their view of the world is so foreign to me that I can't actually mimic the thought processes they use to get there

Quite frankly "ideological circle jerk" is a disturbingly apt description of the US all around these days.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hey, stop typing we need your hand over here

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

This kind of thing reminds me of how close to the edge we are between any kind of republicanism and an illiberal democracy like Russia is.

Our system of governance relies on good faith and not punching down. When we vote someone in who doesn't give a shit and has the mindset of a petulant, spiteful child the entire thing breaks down

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

When she comes to town, she can be damn sure I will buy a ticket to her show.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

This kind of thing reminds me of how close to the edge we are between any kind of republicanism and an illiberal democracy like Russia is.

Our system of governance relies on good faith and not punching down. When we vote someone in who doesn't give a shit and has the mindset of a petulant, spiteful child the entire thing breaks down

If you have large swaths of people who don't actually want a liberal (in the classic sense) republican form of government, you are gonna have trouble maintaining one.

The problem with all this shit is that so many are perfectly ok with it.

• Options
    I want to highlight something here, out of the Kathy Griffin tweetchain.

That part where she mentioned the bomb threats were robo calls.

What the fuck is up with that? Aren't robocalls at least a little illegal?

It makes me wonder exactly who is attacking this sort of Trump critic with illicit infrastructure, and what's behind it.

The obvious guess at this point is Russia of course, but that's not very specific at all. And hard evidence is important anyway.

• Options
    I mean, aren't bomb threats at least a little illegal?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I want to highlight something here, out of the Kathy Griffin tweetchain.

That part where she mentioned the bomb threats were robo calls.

What the fuck is up with that? Aren't robocalls at least a little illegal?

It makes me wonder exactly who is attacking this sort of Trump critic with illicit infrastructure, and what's behind it.

The obvious guess at this point is Russia of course, but that's not very specific at all. And hard evidence is important anyway.

I don’t think it needs to be a state actor in this situation.

There are websites that will do this sort of thing for people (not the bomb threat per say, but putting in someone’s number and it will prank call them for you).

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Oh ha! Yes I guess that's true. Aren't robocalls themselves somewhat illegal though?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0025-robocalls
    If you answer the phone and hear a recorded message instead of a live person, it's a robocall. We’ve seen a significant increase in the number of illegal robocalls because internet-powered phone systems have made it cheap and easy for scammers to make illegal calls from anywhere in the world, and to hide from law enforcement by displaying fake caller ID information.

To date, the FTC has brought more than a hundred lawsuits against over 600 companies and individuals responsible for billions of illegal robocalls and other Do Not Call violations.

The FTC also is leading several initiatives to develop technology-based solutions. Those initiatives include a series of robocall contests that challenge tech gurus to design tools that block robocalls and help investigators track down and stop robocallers. We’re also encouraging industry efforts to combat caller ID spoofing. Here’s the FTC’s game plan to combat robocalls:

continue aggressive law enforcement
    build better tools for investigating robocalls
    coordinate with law enforcement, industry, and other stakeholders
    stimulate and pursue technological solutions.

I would think robocalled bomb threats are a wierd thing to do.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    You're assuming that these calls are based out of the U.S.- I'd imagine there are systems set up all over the world for stuff like this, and thus no real way to stop it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Oh ha! Yes I guess that's true. Aren't robocalls themselves somewhat illegal though?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0025-robocalls
    If you answer the phone and hear a recorded message instead of a live person, it's a robocall. We’ve seen a significant increase in the number of illegal robocalls because internet-powered phone systems have made it cheap and easy for scammers to make illegal calls from anywhere in the world, and to hide from law enforcement by displaying fake caller ID information.

To date, the FTC has brought more than a hundred lawsuits against over 600 companies and individuals responsible for billions of illegal robocalls and other Do Not Call violations.

The FTC also is leading several initiatives to develop technology-based solutions. Those initiatives include a series of robocall contests that challenge tech gurus to design tools that block robocalls and help investigators track down and stop robocallers. We’re also encouraging industry efforts to combat caller ID spoofing. Here’s the FTC’s game plan to combat robocalls:

continue aggressive law enforcement
    build better tools for investigating robocalls
    coordinate with law enforcement, industry, and other stakeholders
    stimulate and pursue technological solutions.

I would think robocalled bomb threats are a wierd thing to do.
    robocalls because internet-powered phone systems have made it cheap and easy for scammers to make illegal calls from anywhere in the world, and to hide from law enforcement by displaying fake caller ID information.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Only if made against Republicans.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

Only if made against Republicans.

Sorry, let me rephrase. Bomb threats are, to my understanding, considered a felony in most states. And that's for a hoax. So it would make sense to use something to make it a little less obvious who exactly was making the bomb threat.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I imagine it’s not all that hard. Some program that uses a VOIP to call over a VPN all numbers their code is able to. Hardly a complex issue to tackle and easy enough to give yourself cover.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Assuming you need a VPN at all.
    If the carriers are having issues/not bothering to spend money remedying phone number spoofing, I imagine they're straight not keeping track of who is entering the phone system and from where.
    If they cannot push back amongst themselves and say 'Hey, number 345 7935 352 is flooding this one guy, please make them stop' then I give it even odds that they don't even record that information unless they're actively listening for it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    If the carriers are having issues/not bothering to spend money remedying phone number spoofing, I imagine they're straight not keeping track of who is entering the phone system and from where.
    If they cannot push back amongst themselves and say 'Hey, number 345 7935 352 is flooding this one guy, please make them stop' then I give it even odds that they don't even record that information unless they're actively listening for it.

What the phone company knows regarding who calls who is not in any way related to what shows up on CallerID. For awhile Google Voice was leaking carrier based numbers instead of the CallerID stuff and got in trouble for it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Why is Samantha Bee taking flak for "cunt" while Joy Reid still has a job?

I don't get it. At all.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    It's telling that when left wingers get pissed, it's boycots, but when it's the right wing that is pissed, it's harrasment and death threats.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

I don't get it. At all.

One just happened and the other comes from blog posts from like a decade ago?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I don't get it. At all.

Conservatives weren't looking to create a false equivalence with Joy Reid after a scandal. As a result, it mainly stayed a thing on the left.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

I don't get it. At all.

One is lying about being hacked and being bigoted against an entire group of people. The other is a comedian insulting a public figure.

Relevant because the Joy Reid thing is back in the news at the same time as this contrived outrage about a word.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I don't get it. At all.

One is lying about being hacked and being bigoted against an entire group of people. The other is a comedian insulting a public figure.

Relevant because the Joy Reid thing is back in the news at the same time as this contrived outrage about a word.

I agree that the Sam Bee outrage is entirely manufactured, but the stuff with Joy Reid is probably not catching on is because those blog posts are very much contrary to the things she seems to believe now.
    how hard should we come down on someone who said shitty things a long time ago and who now seems to think differently?

• Options

I don't get it. At all.

I agree that the Sam Bee outrage is entirely manufactured, but the stuff with Joy Reid is probably not catching on is because those blog posts are very much contrary to the things she seems to believe now.
    how hard should we come down on someone who said shitty things a long time ago and who now seems to think differently?

What is troubling to me is the inability to admit her mistakes and doubling down by claiming it was the work of some other nefarious party.

I'm not calling for her head as much as wondering why the same voices on the left that are bothered by a comic seem far less concerned with a legit journalist doing something far worse.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Take this discussion to the late night show thread.

Talk about the white houses reaction/demand here

Reminder

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

What the phone company knows regarding who calls who is not in any way related to what shows up on CallerID. For awhile Google Voice was leaking carrier based numbers instead of the CallerID stuff and got in trouble for it.

In that case, all that's needed is to make carriers liable for flooding that comes from their network.
    And it rather seems that the only reason they aren't would be the increased cost to moderate traffic.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Just FYI, Trump is appealing the Twitter ruling, because of course

Trump is seriously appealing the federal judge ruling that he violated the Constitution when he blocked people on Twitter https://t.co/CSu1hPUwPy

Buzzfeed reporter

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Oh man he just can't help himself. It's something that could easily be ignored, literally this is the one way for it to end up actually mattering. It's fantastic, he will end up bolstering it the more he contests it. It's like some sort of legal precedent quicksand

Prohass on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Oh good lord.

The SCOTUS is going to have to weigh in on Twitter’s terms of service, isn’t it?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump was pretty much ignoring the Twitter ruling anyways, and he will continue to do so until Jack himself does something about it.

Since that won't happen, here you go.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Just FYI, Trump is appealing the Twitter ruling, because of course

Trump is seriously appealing the federal judge ruling that he violated the Constitution when he blocked people on Twitter https://t.co/CSu1hPUwPy

Buzzfeed reporter

And we’re gonna pay for it!

Seriously...so glad this administration is cutting down on all of our government waste.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Let me make sure I've got my org chart right: this is an attempt to kick it from an NY district court, to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, which is one step below the Supreme Court?