As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Freedom of the Press] Fascists really don't like it, but y'know, too bad.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Anita Kumar writes for McClatchy

I hadn't realized things had gotten quite that dire. Not that the briefings were ever terribly informative from the start, but it's definitely noteworthy. I will say it is probably most emblematic of the decline of a bureaucratic administration of government, gradually being replaced by personal administration.

Press briefings are for the person giving the briefing. It is an indication of institutional incompetence

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if they aren't doing them, it means they no longer have faith in the ability of these briefings to control the media narrative

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    if they aren't doing them, it means they no longer have faith in the ability of these briefings to control the media narrative
    Yep. They're not a favor to the press. They're a tool for the administration to put their own message front and center, and either speak on matters that they want to push, or to counter something that they believe is being misrepresented.

That they're doing it so badly that it does more harm than good, just shows the lack of depth that incompetence is all they have left.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I hadn't realized things had gotten quite that dire. Not that the briefings were ever terribly informative from the start, but it's definitely noteworthy. I will say it is probably most emblematic of the decline of a bureaucratic administration of government, gradually being replaced by personal administration.

Press briefings are for the person giving the briefing. It is an indication of institutional incompetence

It's also an indication of the media's complete inability to do their duty as part of the political process. They are just rolling over and taking it on this issue.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's also an indication of the media's complete inability to do their duty as part of the political process. They are just rolling over and taking it on this issue.

The media is getting their news from other sources.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Yeah, its pretty much just evidence that...

1) The administration has no ability in it's ability to sell its own policies (it relies on fox news)
    2) The news has no faith in the administration to provide worthwhile information

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    This was essentially predicted immediately when Spicer came out and told his first lie about crowd size at the inauguration. It was always the price of lying to the press... not that they care since Fox News, but whatever.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Missing the point. The media is simply allowing this to happen. They aren't fighting with the administration over it's attempts to shut out the press. They are just acting like this is normal.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Missing the point. The media is simply allowing this to happen. They aren't fighting with the administration over it's attempts to shut out the press. They are just acting like this is normal.

The media are employees of major corporations. Their job is to put out a routine and digestible product without getting too political or emotional about it. The nation would certainly like them to care more, but that's not what the people signing their paychecks want.

• Options

The media are employees of major corporations. Their job is to put out a routine and digestible product without getting too political or emotional about it. The nation would certainly like them to care more, but that's not what the people signing their paychecks want.

Yes, they are failing to do their duty as part of the political process, I agree.

• Options
    It is not actually the news media's job to make sure the press secretary is doing her job.

• Options
    It is not actually the news media's job to make sure the press secretary is doing her job.

It is totally their job to call out the Executive branch on trying to shut out the press.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The idea that the media has no responsibility except to make money is perverse

• Options

It is totally their job to call out the Executive branch on trying to shut out the press.

I would probably be more worried if they had message discipline and an ability to shut up, but if they had those, they'd probably be doing the briefings.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    The idea that the media has no responsibility except to make money is perverse

That’s not what I said. What I said was that the financial incentives in the industry are not what we want it to be, because this is a capitalist society, news is a multi-billion dollar business, and the rich people in charge are not running it as a public service and probably hold political views we’d find repugnant.

That’s not an endorsement. That’s just the society we live in.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

While not as forceful as you might like, isn't that exactly what the CNN article is doing on this page? Pointing out that there have only been three press briefings in the last 30 days, and that it is a problem?

• Options
    never die wrote: »

While not as forceful as you might like, isn't that exactly what the CNN article is doing on this page? Pointing out that there have only been three press briefings in the last 30 days, and that it is a problem?

It's a tepid comment more then a year after this shit started. They go in there and just accept whatever terms the Executive sets and let them lie to their face and they pretend like it's normal or at best a mild curiosity. The whole "war" between Fox News and the Obama Admin got more heat.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Kyle Griffin, MSNBC producer, footage from latest press briefing between Jim Acosta and Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

This is just horrifying. It's now 100% the explicit official position of the US Presidential Administration that the press is the enemy of the people. Griffin is too kind in the tweet; she doesn't refuse or dodge the position per se; she specifically says the President's stated position is their stance, she only refuses to specifically verbalize it in the same manner.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Trump has Fox News, Breitbart and Co. and his Twitter account as tools to shape public opinion.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that they still bother with press meetings at all, but I guess that they need a place to insult the press for free headlines.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Trump has Fox News, Breitbart and Co. and his Twitter account as tools to shape public opinion.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that they still bother with press meetings at all, but I guess that they need a place to insult the press for free headlines.

They don't really have press briefings like in july it was like 3? June was like 6? The number is going down because as you note they don't need them they have their state propaganda.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    "The Press" pretending to be surprised that this is their stance when uh, the last 20 or so months have happened is so idiotic. Motherfucker, yes it's his position. He "said" it on record. Stop offering opportunities to clarify and report that our president and press secretary are against a free press. The parallels between the white house press corp and a battered spouse are so sadly clear.

In short, do your fucking job.

Edit:

Do not know whether to agree or awesome or start a cult.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Ok so honestly the press constantly pearl clutching about how the President thinks they're the enemy of the people is kind of annoying at this point. Yeah, its bad that he does that, but also most of these people really fucking suck and are partially responsible for his being in office and we'd all be better served by them putting this same fervor and care into one of a dozen ongoing atrocities the administration is pushing forward.

Stop playing along with the obvious game they're playing and IDK, harass her about the kid the government tortured to death in one of the internment camps.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ok so honestly the press constantly pearl clutching about how the President thinks they're the enemy of the people is kind of annoying at this point. Yeah, its bad that he does that, but also most of these people really fucking suck and are partially responsible for his being in office and we'd all be better served by them putting this same fervor and care into one of a dozen ongoing atrocities the administration is pushing forward.

Stop playing along with the obvious game they're playing and IDK, harass her about the kid the government tortured to death in one of the internment camps.

And that's the point. Trump can count on being able to easily change headlines at will by just calling people like Acosta names or having one of his lackeys do it. That's one of the biggest reasons why "nothing sticks", and why is so galling to see the press complaining about it.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Chris Cuomo works at CNN. Also doesn't know how to use the Caps Lock key.

Dark Mysteries of Power. Uh huh. Snark aside, dude, you are looking more unhinged than a Q thread. This is embarassing.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Man this is the shit that will have a huge impact even after his term is up. It'll 100% be up to Republicans to get the base to agree on what reality is and right now I have no clue if they're going to do that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Dark Mysteries of Power. Uh huh. Snark aside, dude, you are looking more unhinged than a Q thread. This is embarassing.

Chris Cuomo is a moron

His show (the ones I've seen anyway) is complete garbage. Anyone who calls himself a journalist but lets Kellyanne Conway on their show is at odds with himself

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Chris Cuomo is a moron

His show (the ones I've seen anyway) is complete garbage. Anyone who calls himself a journalist but lets Kellyanne Conway on their show is at odds with himself

Oh he did? I'm sorry and I know that is wrong to laugh about it, but this makes this ALL CAPS WARNING all that much hilarious.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    How is Chris Cuomo's tweet on topic?

A media thread, this is not. It's a first amendment thread.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    First Amendment means it’s the first to go right?

He’s citing an article from a right wing conspiracy site that complains how news notifications are comprised mainly of actual news sites and not opinion sites as a bad thing.

Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake New Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of...
    ....results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Edit: More internet policy than speech policy I think.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It’s super great that the President is up at 4 am publicly freaking out over right wing conspiracy theories.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Wait until he does a google image search for “idiot”

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Daniel Dale on the case showing how ludicrous those tweets are. (He's the Washington correspondent for the Toronto Star.)

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

He’s citing an article from a right wing conspiracy site that complains how news notifications are comprised mainly of actual news sites and not opinion sites as a bad thing.

Google search results for “Trump News” shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake New Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD. Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of...
    ....results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!

And Trump commits another felony by deleting these tweets.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I don't even know why, he reposted them.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I don't even know why, he reposted them.

The only thing that changed is the time stamp. Maybe someone told him that tweeting in the middle of the night like a madman is a bad look.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »

And Trump commits another felony by deleting these tweets.

Given that a judge has ruled that he can't block people (1st amendment reasoning?), shouldn't the capacity to delete posts, at least in a simple manner*, be disabled from the President's account?

* I mean, if it's shown that the account was hacked, I can understand having that be able to be purged. I'm more refering to the Presidential Records Act not being so easily subverted by the President. I know there are workarounds, but he shouldn't be able to hide that from his public records.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I wasn’t kidding, by the way. I encourage everyone to do a google image search for “idiot”

Because if the results I got here in Ireland are anything to go by then if anybody ever shows Trump how to do that he will be apoplectic with rage for years.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

I wasn’t kidding, by the way. I encourage everyone to do a google image search for “idiot”

Because if the results I got here in Ireland are anything to go by then if anybody ever shows Trump how to do that he will be apoplectic with rage for years.

Eh, he'll blame the liberals at the failing Google for rigging it.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Amazing