As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    is that a fake gamexplain video? barely 2 minutes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    edzepp wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    The more I play this the more it cements itself as GOTY

Insane how Breath of the Wild owned, then got owned

I think BOTW is still my goatee so far, but these two are so far ahead of everything else that it's not really a competition

I think I like Zelda slightly more, if only because I like exploring Zelda's world more and I'm not actually super good at platforming games.

They are both games I'd put into my "best games I've played" category but because I'm weird neither one gets to go into my "favorite games" category. I think maybe I enjoyed Mario more?

(Persona 5 is GOTY though)

I guess my preference goes back to playing Knytt on my computer. That kind of relaxing 'explore and discover this beautiful world at your own pace' thing is my jam. Mario is totally fun and well-designed, but I feel like there's a skill ceiling with all those crazy sub moves that I don't think I can hit. So when it comes to finishing certain challenges like races I think I'm kind of boned. Zelda's control scheme is more complicated (and the game is harder), but it doesn't quite demand as much of you, if that makes sense. Both excellent games and worthy contenders.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I know that a common complaint is that many of the moons are too easy to get...however many of them post game are a monster to get. :P

I ran into my first moon I needed motion controls to grab with the frog. I just popped off the joy con, grabbed the moon, and plugged the joy con back in, easy peasy.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

aaaand were already seeing the fruits of that labor:

mario-odyssey-socks.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

(Slight post game spoilers in tweet)

You guys weren't joking when you said that the real game starts after the credits roll. This shit right here in particular is absolutely genius and it doesn't even appear until the post game!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. The real game is the post game.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Endgame stuff
    Dark Side is super disappointing though. It's just the moon again, and a boss rush against the Broodals, several of which you have already fought multiple times. The reduced gravity doesn't make much of a difference in their fights, they have little in the way of new attacks, and the mech rematch is even EASIER because you can just machine-gun hammers into it. For something that rewards you a new outfit, it certainly need seem very special nor interesting. Could have just placed them in a rematch area in Mushroom Kingdom.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I've found myself suffering from the Mario Odyssey version of Tetris Syndrome, realising as I walked the kids to school this morning that I was tracing along each overhead telegraph wire we passed in case it lead somewhere interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

Not the most extreme case I've had though. That has to be when deep into Trauma Centre on the DS I couldn't stop mentally suturing all the cracks in pavement I walked over.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2017

This is literally me discovering it on accident. Hey this video record feature is pretty useful.

Mind blown on multiple levels.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Cap dive gon' save ya life. Whenever I flub a jump I cap dive in desparation. Sometimes it looks like I did it on purpose. Here is a time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Has anyone died with zero coins? Maybe there's a hidden game over screen.

• Options
    Has anyone died with zero coins? Maybe there's a hidden game over screen.

You just respawn for no loss. There's no Game Over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmNSS4f44LE

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I love the removal of lives and 1-Ups, honestly. They definitely seemed pointless in recent Mario games, and it's nice for Nintendo to recognize that.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

You guys weren't joking when you said that the real game starts after the credits roll. This shit right here in particular is absolutely genius and it doesn't even appear until the post game!

That Moon is great except that the spinning part controls like ass and probably should have had a "safe" spinner at the start to get used to it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

That Moon is great except that the spinning part controls like ass and probably should have had a "safe" spinner at the start to get used to it.

I just did that part on Saturday morning, and it definitely caused a greater number of cursing outbursts than anything I've done yet. My wife was entertained. Game is fantastic.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    For that part, pretend that the analog stick is the circle he's standing on

He'll follow your stick around perfectly

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I love the removal of lives and 1-Ups, honestly. They definitely seemed pointless in recent Mario games, and it's nice for Nintendo to recognize that.

It also gives them more freedom to make tricky sequences knowing that the player isn't constrained by a limited number of attempts no matter how generous.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I remember using a koopa shell to grind out crown crown crown lives in preparation for 3D Land's final challenge level. Amusing, but needless.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Every 3D Mario game since Galaxy 2 has had a similar difficulty curve: Pretty easy most of the way, the couple of sections before the final boss get somewhat tricky, the post-game is tough, and then the final secret challenge is nightmarishly hard.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I just did an area that was super reminiscent of the Galaxy games which was fun. Up to and including the moon having galaxy in the name.

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Every 3D Mario game since Galaxy 2 has had a similar difficulty curve: Pretty easy most of the way, the couple of sections before the final boss get somewhat tricky, the post-game is tough, and then the final secret challenge is nightmarishly hard.

I think this works really, really well. Doesn't gate progression/main story completion for da babies, allows more hardcore players to ramp up their challenge in the postgame, and allows the truly hardcore to bash their heads against a wildly challenging true ending.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Endgame stuff
    Dark Side is super disappointing though. It's just the moon again, and a boss rush against the Broodals, several of which you have already fought multiple times. The reduced gravity doesn't make much of a difference in their fights, they have little in the way of new attacks, and the mech rematch is even EASIER because you can just machine-gun hammers into it. For something that rewards you a new outfit, it certainly need seem very special nor interesting. Could have just placed them in a rematch area in Mushroom Kingdom.

There's more at 500

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I couldn't take a better Odyssey snapshot: (post game outfit spoilers):
    86hbCZP.jpg

Also a couple moon related questions:
    I'm trying not to use a guide but I could a few hints right now.

In Lake Lamonde there's a moon in an area I cannot figure out how to get to, Secret Path to Lake Lamonde. I've looked all over, any hints? Hopefully the last three purple coins are around there too...

And also, what the heck is taxi flying? No idea how to get any of those moons.

This is such an amazing game that I'm going for 100% and I never do that. I'm also tempted to speed run it which is insane for me, personally. But damn, game good.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    86hbCZP.jpg

In Lake Lamonde there's a moon in an area I cannot figure out how to get to, Secret Path to Lake Lamonde. I've looked all over, any hints? Hopefully the last three purple coins are around there too...

This is such an amazing game that I'm going for 100% and I never do that. I'm also tempted to speed run it which is insane for me, personally. But damn, game good.
    Secret Path to... means it’s a moon here that you can only get to from a portrait warp from another kingdom.

I’ve also got a few taxi ones in other worlds as well so I’m guessing that’s another thing that needs triggering in another kingdom first.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Schide wrote: »
    86hbCZP.jpg

Secret Path to... means it’s a moon here that you can only get to from a portrait warp from another kingdom.

I’ve also got a few taxi ones in other worlds as well so I’m guessing that’s another thing that needs triggering in another kingdom first.
    Oh crap you're right, forgot that's what they were called. Thanks for reminding me.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Did Galaxy 1 have post game stuff? Wasn't there green stars or something?

I beat Galaxy 1, but haven't finished 2.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Had my first couple of "I'm going to come back to this later because I'm just done" moments.

First was that rocket water race in Snow Kingdom.

Second was the 100th time I caught Mario on fire in the Luncheon Kingdom.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Had my first couple of "I'm going to come back to this later because I'm just done" moments.

First was that rocket water race in Snow Kingdom.

Second was the 100th time I caught Mario on fire in the Luncheon Kingdom.

Yeah, after really trying to poke around while moving through the campaign and get as many moons as I could, it's a difficult thing to find a moon and tell myself, "Okay, time to walk away from this one and come back to it later." The completionist in me screams in frustration, but I think it's more important to just keep moving and save the really problematic moons for later. Especially because I'm still grinding up to 500.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    taxi hints, nested in ever increasing spoilers
    I would do the first one of these in hat kingdom
    iirc hint toad puts the marker next to the rocket binoculars you can possess
    there sure are a lot of ships flying around
    one of them is a taxicab from donk city, stare at it for a few seconds

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I think BOTW is still my goatee so far, but these two are so far ahead of everything else that it's not really a competition

I think I like Zelda slightly more, if only because I like exploring Zelda's world more and I'm not actually super good at platforming games.

They are both games I'd put into my "best games I've played" category but because I'm weird neither one gets to go into my "favorite games" category. I think maybe I enjoyed Mario more?

I guess my preference goes back to playing Knytt on my computer. That kind of relaxing 'explore and discover this beautiful world at your own pace' thing is my jam. Mario is totally fun and well-designed, but I feel like there's a skill ceiling with all those crazy sub moves that I don't think I can hit. So when it comes to finishing certain challenges like races I think I'm kind of boned. Zelda's control scheme is more complicated (and the game is harder), but it doesn't quite demand as much of you, if that makes sense. Both excellent games and worthy contenders.

Oh yea I totally get that. We all have our things. For me a game can never full engross me without a narrative. Doesn't matter how good it is (like Mario here) but without a narrative it just can't be one of my favs. But then for a game like this that is all about the gameplay I guess I prefer the extra meat Mario has because if it's too simple and doesn't have a narrative I would probably get bored before I finished it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Thought I can brute force some of the music toad moons, because damn some are really vague. But my music list is still incomplete...

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    taxi hints, nested in ever increasing spoilers
    I would do the first one of these in hat kingdom
    iirc hint toad puts the marker next to the rocket binoculars you can possess
    there sure are a lot of ships flying around
    one of them is a taxicab from donk city, stare at it for a few seconds
    ...oh. Damn I had that idea at first but I didn't see anything different about any of the ships. Oh well, had to keep looking. Thanks.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did Galaxy 1 have post game stuff? Wasn't there green stars or something?

I beat Galaxy 1, but haven't finished 2.

As far as I remember, Galaxy 1 was "play exactly the same game except as Luigi." Galaxy 2 introduced the green stars and was awesome because it was 151 new stars to find and not just the same levels with a slightly floatier character.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

This is literally me discovering it on accident. Hey this video record feature is pretty useful.

This was one of 3 parts of the game I had to leave and come back and try again later.

Weirdly all 3 of the parts were actually not terribly difficult, I just needed to be in the right frame of mind.

The other two were
    dark side boss rush and darker side.

both of them, I gave myself a day, and came back and did each on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Overall I don't think there was anything in Odyssey that compared to whole swaths of Galaxy 1/2 in difficulty.

The two moons I think the game could have just straight up done without were
    100 jump rope and 100 volleyball

Neither things I would describe as difficult. Just soul crushing when you failed through what almost never felt like your fault. The latter particularly because it starts off so slow, getting going again was just painful. That is until I found out
    you can cheese it by switching to 2 player and just controlling cappy

I think the most legit difficult moon in the game was
    dark side, no cappy, huge bullet bill room, getting the secondary moon. Just the succession of perfect jumps with no cappy to rely on if you screwed up.

Also, I really really think that the races should have been open out of the gate in every kingdom. You learn so much about how to really play the game, all sorts of tricks you had no real reason to figure out otherwise, that would have made so much of the game feel better, faster. Which isn't to say the game didn't feel good, fast. Just, if/when I ever go back and redo the whole thing, knowing what I know now (even if I would be rusty), it would change everything about how I approached most of the game. I guess if you just did the minimum amount of moons needed for each kingdom before moving on, for many people that would have happened more naturally? I just stuck around in each kingdom doing all available moons/coins (and there is only one single kingdom you can't get all coins before beating the game) before continuing.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2017

I too felt like I would never get the advanced controls, but once it clicks, boy howdy, it is fantastic. Keep at it. Just find a place that is low stake but with obvious points of reference (two raised platforms further apart than you can normally jump via normal means) and just practice. You'll end up doing it a few times by relative accident, but once you see it happen by your own hand (intentionally or not) it is a lot different than seeing some machine do insane tricks on youtube. Start practicing the ground pound high jump (jump immediately after you ground pound and you will get the height of a crouched backflip jump, but in the direction you want). Then add in diving from that jump, just pick a target. Then add in throwing cappy from the high jump and diving into cappy. The trickiest addition, for me at least, was here, because having cappy hold to bounce off instead of dive too isn't what you'd think. You can't just hold throw, you will just dive through cappy. Letting go of throw and then doing the dive while then holding throw (while cappy is already out) will cause you to jump off cappy and allow you to throw cappy again. It just takes practice to get the timing. It is, honestly, counter-intuitive, because you have to force your brain to accept that you aren't holding out cappy like you would on the ground, and have to let go before pushing the throw button again to hold the jump off cappy in the air. And I know this is probably not even useful, me explaining it! Because I watched several instructional videos that explained the same thing but it didn't really make sense until I got it to happen on my own.

That key advanced move that, once you "get", opens up the whole game is the jump > throw > dive/hold throw > jump > throw > dive.

And it is only the master races that actually require being able to do it reliably. Nothing else in the game needs it, but many things in the game are substantially easier (and more fun) because of it.

For sure there is a whole other sphere of advanced controls that I see on videos that blow my mind. The speed and reliability I see people do crazy things with is nuts. But again, literally the only moons in the game that require this are the master races. If you see any other moon and think you need it, there is another way.

That's why I really think it would be good if the races were open earlier. Just watching the gold koopa gives you clues to movements you might not have considered. On several stages I just went to trouble areas for the races, and practiced without bothering being in the race (because the races don't actually change anything in the stage, which is important to note, aside from the storm starting up again in the snow kingdom; but physically the map is identical and anything you can do outside the race, that could give you an advantage you can still use in a race).

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options

This was one of 3 parts of the game I had to leave and come back and try again later.

Yeah I'm still struggling with it at the moment. The game went from incredibly easy to incredibly hard in the blink of an eye.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Also, sorry last post :P, I disagree with the statement that the game doesn't start till after the credits roll.

Spoiler just because it is talking about "post game", but it isn't really spoiling anything.
    In each kingdom the only non-moon rock moons you can't get before you beat the game are almost all either: races, peach, or music. I don't think there are any art ones you can't get prior (except obviously dark side, but honestly I'm not totally sure you even need to have seen the art to get the moon). Then there are a handful of ones that open up due to some change in where npc's are, but it's only one or two a kingdom. And the moon rock moons aren't any more difficult than any other moon. A good amount of them are just as out in the open as other easy to get moons, it is just that some need a change in the map to be there, that happens after the game.

I would have to go through and look at the moon lists again, but at least 3/4 of any kingdoms moons can be obtained prior to beating Bowser, and the ones that unlock after, with the exception of the master races, don't have a higher or lower level of difficulty than anything else.

Dark/er Side and Mushroom Kingdom are the only kingdoms that unlock after the game/moons and Dark/er Side is super short, and the vast majority of moons from the Mushroom Kingdom are from achievements, and the stage itself is actually quite short and small.

I wonder if people are mistaking moons they got after beating the game with moons you can only get after beating the game? Sand Kingdom, for instance, you only need like, what, 20? moons to continue on, but you can actually get nearly 70 on the map before you move on to the next kingdom (it requires you going through the kingdoms story, sure, but you can get almost everything prior to leaving). And to even correct myself from earlier, there isn't a single kingdom you can't get all purple coins before leaving. I had thought Bowsers Kingdom but I had forgotten Bowser wasn't at the end, it was the rabbits, and once you beat them the 3 coins on their platform are accessible.

Sooooo yeah. The lions share of the content in the game is accessible prior to "beating" it, and the couple actually new locations aren't like a whole new game or anything. I don't remember how many moons I had when I actually beat the game the first time, but I believe it was around 600. So, yeah, 1/4 of the game is left prior to beating it, of stuff that is actually inaccessible beforehand. And now that I'm thinking about it, I want to go and see if one of those places is accessible earlier if you can manage it, but I suspect they created it so it isn't possible.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm finding the post game to be a bit weird.
    The unlocked moons aren't terribly special or interesting. Neither are the explosion of moons from the rocks. A lot of them they just put another sparkly in the ground, or another moon on an island. It feels like they took half the total moons in the game and just arbitrarily locked them behind the post game.

And that's a really weird thing to say, because the game beforehand was perfectly dense and fun as is. Then the ending goes "Did you have fun? How would you like us to double it? Boom, more moons, more gameplay.". If the game ended where it did, nobody would have a single complaint about a lack of content. But the game just balloons out. And that's a really weird thing to complain about, having more fun to do.

I think it's something to do with the more relaxed nature of how you get moons. Under a rock or up a tree. A lot of them are fairly mundane tasks, at least in a Mario game. And then they just double it. There wasn't a terrible need to lock a lot of this stuff up behind the post game. But I'm certainly not angry or anything that they did it, and I'm still having a hoot. It's just... a bit weird.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."