As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire Masquarade Bloodlines crashes on Loading Screen

RubiniaRubinia Registered User new member
Hello,

I've installed the most basic of basics VTMB version and then the True Patch. It loades, I have the main menu, but as soon as I chose New Game and the loading bar is maybe a half of inch full, my Windows says that the programme has stopped working. And that it will inform me if it finds a solution.

I'm determined to work it through, but I lack computer skill.

My newest crash log goes like this:
* * * Vampire Crash Data Log, Generated From Exe Built On: Oct 6 2004 * * *

vampire caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module engine.dll at 0023:200f5a77.

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI: 0x00000008 ESI: 0x031af524 EAX: 0x106c7c00
EBX: 0xffffffff ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x00000073
EIP: 0x200f5a77 EBP: 0x20d5e0b8 SegCs: 0x00000023
EFlags: 0x00210206 ESP: 0x0019e678 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 11 a3 48 09 2b 21 a1 3c 09 2b 21 83 c4 14 50

[ SysInfo ]
Error occurred at 10/14/2017 22:09:58.
2 processor(s), type 586.
51% memory in use.
1024 MBytes physical memory.
1024 MBytes physical memory free.
2048 MBytes paging file.
1024 MBytes paging file free.
0 MBytes user address space.
3329 MBytes user address space free.

[ StackTrace ]
0x73656E65 : <unknown symbol> in <unknown module>
0x473BD78B : <unknown symbol> in <unknown module>

[ ScopeTrace ]
SCOPE_TRACE data, stack depth = 3
02. RunListenServer ()
01. CEngineAPI::Run ()
00. LauncherMain ()

[ ModuleList ]
Module 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Vampire - The Masquerade - Bloodlines\bin\vstdlib.dll
Image Base: 0x10000000 Image Size: 0x00018000
Checksum: 0x00000000 Time Stamp: 0x4164cbb9
File Size: 94268 File Time: 10/6/2004 22:11:44

(...)

The log is incredibely long so I'll attach the whole file. If you need more information but are unwilling to download such a uncertain-source files, feel free to ask, I'll dig up data from the file and quote it back!

"Lie implicates anything and truth is implied by everything. Logic."

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Isn't this a super old game? Did you get it through something like Steam/GoG or are you using your original (old) disks?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubiniaRubinia Registered User new member
    edited October 2017
    Rubinia was warned for this.
    It is super old. It's not GoG nor Steam, it was just an .exe file from some file-share-site, which opens as VTMB installator, creates folder Activision etc., then when I try to start the game a pop-up window appears and requires internet connection. I think it was for the purpose of confirmation, but even as I am connected it does nothing. Only after I install some Wesp Patch (I did it some time ago, then I uninstalled the game and now I'd like to try True Patch version) it stops popping and runs the actual game. When I replaced all due folders (as instalation of True Patch) it also worked, I mean I get the game as far as to main menu.

Tube on
    "Lie implicates anything and truth is implied by everything. Logic."
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Solution, buy the game on steam and play it.

No one is going to help you with illegally pirating a game and its also quite against the forum rules here.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The steam version will work on a modern system with one problem: there is no widescreen resolution option. There is a mod to fix that. Pirated versions are 50/50 to be an original version or even a gutted repack and will be much spottier, and it's often impossible to figure out what's causing the crash. At least with steam some people here can have the same version in front of them as a starting point.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Iirc, the GOG version actually had some work put in to make it run right on modern systems. Not coding, but some better DOSBox settings.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    !?
    It's an old game, sure. Not Runs-in-DOSBox old, though.

Pretty sure I've seen it go on sale somewhat frequently on both platforms.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Rubinia wrote: »
    It is super old. It's not GoG nor Steam, it was just an .exe file from some file-share-site, which opens as VTMB installator, creates folder Activision etc., then when I try to start the game a pop-up window appears and requires internet connection. I think it was for the purpose of confirmation, but even as I am connected it does nothing. Only after I install some Wesp Patch (I did it some time ago, then I uninstalled the game and now I'd like to try True Patch version) it stops popping and runs the actual game. When I replaced all due folders (as instalation of True Patch) it also worked, I mean I get the game as far as to main menu.

Buy it from Steam or GoG and use their tech support. We can't help you with a pirated version.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I own a physical disc copy of the game and it also runs just fine on Windows 10 once its properly patched.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Buy a legitimate copy of the game. I recommend Steam over GOG, as the GOG version comes with wesp's patch/mod pre-installed.

This discussion has been closed.