As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I like spinach

Fresh spinach.

Frozen/bagged/canned spinach can go fuck right off.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I like spinach

Fresh spinach.

Fresh baby spinach.
    Frozen spinach on occasion for dip.

Other spinach is welcome to stay at the store.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Baby spinach and also adult spinach is really great for just adding to hot dishes just after taking off the heat for an extra nutrient and texture boost. Curries, pasta sauces, soups, stir fries, I haven't yet had it not work, it just wilts and blends in nicely to whatever I've made.
    It even works really well with carbonara.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I like spinach

Fresh spinach.

I like fresh, but frozen and bagged have their place in a dip or quiche or saag

• Options
    I like spinach

Fresh spinach.

Y'all can use fresh for that stuff too.

Takes like another 50 seconds to wilt fresh spinach.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from the bad food thread because this might actually be good food.

My wife bought some USDA Prime filets, so I made pan cooked filets for the first time.

After flip:
    dFt44rD.jpg

End result:
    ulqquH2.jpg

My wife and I both loved them and I'm pretty proud!

Oh and my wife made some great faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doing ok on the food front this year. Malay curry potatoes with braai chicken and hearts of palm

zjcxulmgu59g.jpg

• Options
    I like spinach

Fresh spinach.

Y'all can use fresh for that stuff too.

Takes like another 50 seconds to wilt fresh spinach.

yeah but it's also way more expensive to get a ton of fresh spinach just to turn it into exactly what frozen spinach already is

• Options
    ur face is frozen spinach

• Options
    well you can go ahead and sautee me in a bit of garlic, butter, EVOO, AND EAT ME!

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    frozen spinach tends to have significantly less sand than the fresh stuff we get in NJ... no matter how much you wash it

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Sand is very important and most people eat almost none. It's why clams are so good.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Prequel memes? On my Cooking Thread?
    It's more likely than you think.

(Free PC Check!)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Prequel memes? On my Cooking Thread?

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Were out in Indiana nowhere and were paying nearly 900 a month now, and are looking at an upgrade to a place that costs 1200 a month.

Thats probably not much in other places but because the "cost of living" out here is "low" and we are a right to work state that is hard red we tend to get paid "shit"

I live in an area with many rentals the price varies from 500 to 2000 a month the odd thing is one person owns many of those homes

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I saw places around here (like, hyper-lux top floor suites in high rises) for like $8,000+/month. For a lease.

At that point why don't you just like...buy a house?

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Made crispy pork belly on Sunday!

It's actually super duper easy with just an oven, some rock salt, and something to poke the pork skin with

7bhqSlu.jpg?1

(Some pieces sliiightly too charred, our broiler is a lot stronger than the recipemaker's)

Recipe: https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-crispy-pork-belly/

It was... so crispy <3<3<3

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    @lonelyahava - before I forget!!

180g rolled oats.
    150g plain flour.
    150g raw sugar.
    ⅓ cup golden syrup.
    125g unsalted butter.
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to around 160°C .
    Place the oats, flour, sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
    Put the golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until melted. Add bicarb to the butter mixture, then quickly pour into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.

Use about a large tablespoon of mixture for each cookie, roll into balls and press down lightly (for crispier biscuit press then out flatter). Bake for around 10 minutes or until deep golden brown.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    @lonelyahava - before I forget!!

180g rolled oats.
    150g plain flour.
    150g raw sugar.
    ⅓ cup golden syrup.
    125g unsalted butter.
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to around 160°C .
    Place the oats, flour, sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
    Put the golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until melted. Add bicarb to the butter mixture, then quickly pour into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.

Use about a large tablespoon of mixture for each cookie, roll into balls and press down lightly (for crispier biscuit press then out flatter). Bake for around 10 minutes or until deep golden brown.

I saw this and thought fuck it, These are now in the oven.

Sarah the only thing I will add, for your ease, 1/3 of a cup of golden syrup is 110 grams.

I also had no raw sugar, so I just did a 2:1 mix of white to brown sugar.

• Options
    yeah I usually eyeball the golden syrup because fuck messing around with weighing sticky things. Though I guess I could just weigh it straight into the saucepan now I think about it ...

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's exactly what I did.

• Options
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Or you can use some spray oil stuff to grease the measuring cup!

I think I'll make those with the baby tomorrow! Thanks, Nic!

• Options
    In general, I just hate having to measure things out with cups and am always looking for an excuse to save on washing up and tare and measure directly into the bowl whenever possible.

• Options
    Also, bikkie update, they came out good and have a good bottom, but I probably should have made them slightly smaller, and squish them a bit more to make them a bit wider to get them crunchier.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Now I need to visit the specialty grocer and get golden syrup. Thanks.

• Options
    I found massive morels yesterday and threw them out because I thought they were bad. Turns out that the big ones just look like that and I threw out a delicious meal =(

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    In general, I just hate having to measure things out with cups and am always looking for an excuse to save on washing up and tare and measure directly into the bowl whenever possible.

On the whole I agree.

but I have a 2 year old that LOVES to sit on the counter and help mommy bake.

So almost everything goes into at least two more measuring cups than necessary nowadays.

and at least 3 more teaspoons, and at least 1 more mixing bowl for her to mix her own mixture in.

It's an adventure, to say the least.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So I have a Quiz for you guys.

You have a rice cooker as your only cooking device, but all the ingredients you can think of.

What do you make? (Please describe what you make...I'm trying to decide if i should get one of those fancy rice cookers).

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Dahl.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I saw places around here (like, hyper-lux top floor suites in high rises) for like $8,000+/month. For a lease.

At that point why don't you just like...buy a house?

I imagine it's so you can lord over people on high. They won't know your lording over them if you live in a gated community 20 minutes away.

In seriousness i bet they are for CEOs. Probably only going to be at a company a few years, and the company is paying for it anyway.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

You have a rice cooker as your only cooking device, but all the ingredients you can think of.

What do you make?

I'll give you the best rice recipe

1 cup jasmine rice rinsed
    1.5 cups water
    1 tsp evoo
    1 tsp butter
    1 chicken bullion cube
    2 tsp dried minced onion
    1 pinch herbs de provence
    4-6 drops of rose water

best base for Indian food ever imo

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Dahl.

That's necromancy.

Daal might be good though.

• Options

What do you make? (Please describe what you make...I'm trying to decide if i should get one of those fancy rice cookers).

If it has one of those steamer baskets you could do rice and veggies. You could even throw some chicken up there to steam with the veggies.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    assume it does. Like i said im trying to decide if i should get a fancy one or not. I want to know if theres enough variety in the things i would eat so i could cook more without making much of a mess, and ever since i saw the 'put a tomato in the rice cooker' receipe, I've wondered what else i could do that easily. I've been eating too much fast food lately.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    assume it does. Like i said im trying to decide if i should get a fancy one or not. I want to know if theres enough variety in the things i would eat so i could cook more without making much of a mess, and ever since i saw the 'put a tomato in the rice cooker' receipe, I've wondered what else i could do that easily. I've been eating too much fast food lately.

You could get a countertop burner and a pot for around the same price as a decent rice cooker and have a LOT more flexibility. I've never liked dedicated rice cookers. Even the high end ones don't make terribly good rice and are a pain to clean.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Are we arguing about rice cookers in two threads?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    IS A RICE MAKER A SANDWICH WITH PINEAPPLE?!

edit: whoops, this isn't the love thread

Xaquin on
This discussion has been closed.