As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I really like avocado in salad, roasted beets and garlic are also delicious.. Raw shredded beet can be good too. Broken up tortilla chips give a nice crunch, which might be missing if you're not using romaine. If you have a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly sliced cabbage can be good. Or you can soak it overnight in a sugar/vinegar solution to make it tastier. Raw beets or carrots benefit from this too.

Edit: for dressing, I like to keep it relatively simple.. Oil, vinegar, syrup/honey, hot sauce/mustard, pepper, salt. In descending amounts in that order. Mix it up and taste it, add more of something, repeat until delicious. If you're lucky it'll suck at first and you'll have to add a lot to get it good.. So you'll end up with a nice amount of dressing to save for future salads

Atheraal on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Toasted nuts or seeds can add a nice bit of flavour and crunch to a salad. You can't really go wrong with some roasted veggies, shaved radish slices, sliced tomato and bocconcini, depending on your flavour preferences.

For dressings you can really customise to your heart's content - combine an oil (e.g. extra virgin olive, flaxseed, toasted sesame) with some acid (fancy vinegar, citrus juice) and maybe some flavouring agent such as mustard or miso paste. Add sweetener (sugar, honey, agave) to taste and you've got a tasty dressing.
    Oh I like the raddish slices idea, as far as trying something different goes. I'll probably try toasted seeds of a sort too. Any specifics on that one?

Toasted sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, poppy etc. all work great, it just depends on what you like or don't have allergies to.
    For nuts I'm particularly fond of chopped roasted almond, and walnut, cashew, pecan etc. work great too. And of course if you want to get fancy there's always toasted pine nuts.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Shepard's Pie tonight!

my only debate is ramekins or a big pot

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Okay this question might be more for the bad food thread but i have to ask...

I've been hearing this commercial on the radio, everytime it comes on i get confused. It's for a salad spinner. in it, it refers to using mayonase or miracle whip to mix with a salad. I'm like....ewh? who the hell uses mayo as dressing in a salad?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay this question might be more for the bad food thread but i have to ask...

I've been hearing this commercial on the radio, everytime it comes on i get confused. It's for a salad spinner. in it, it refers to using mayonase or miracle whip to mix with a salad. I'm like....ewh? who the hell uses mayo as dressing in a salad?

if it's mixed with something, I guess

can't say I have though

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What? Mayo in a salad dressing is super common.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I mean everytime i hear the idea it seems like something from that old cookbook you are always making fun of with the meat jello dishes. like terribly bad for you. I've always just stuck with like italian dressing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mmmm, yes, that bastion of healthy eating, Italian dressing...

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    This isn't cooking per se but I could use some suggestions on homemade salad crafting. As far as the greens go I am thinking a simple head of lettuce and spinach leaves (not chopped or anything). Romaine is out of the question on account of the "it's bad, it's oka- no wait still bad" news going on surrounding it. I know people say cucumber but that's a no-go for me. As for what else to throw in, I'm kinda... well picky for starters. Throwing in some carrot shavings wouldn't be bad. I was also thinking of a fruit, either sliced up apples (just prior to serving) or maybe little oranges (peeled and all).

I have no clue what to do for dressing. I mean, my nephew is a picky lil' guy so ranch is going to be available for him and possibly my niece too (so does this really count as them eating salad?). I want to try making my own, not that I have a clue what I'd want flavor-wise.

There was a salad fad a while back of including baked rhubarb, feta and roasted almonds with various combinations of greens, which can be super delicious. You can Google some good stuff - or, go for an easier solution of watermelon or raspberries instead of rhubarb (though, that is really good).

So basically a sweet/feta/toasted almonds (or whatever nut) combination, with what you feel goes with it - spinach is definitely a good choice - and a simple olive oil/balsamico/honey dressing.

Consider thinly sliced, raw (or roasted) cauliflower too, for whatever you end up with.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Mayo plus tasty salty acidic things is how you make Caesar dressing

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdHVm6WM9U

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    On my continued lemon kick, I made lemon squares / lemon bars and they were so nice and tart

I used this Serious Eats recipe:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/sunny-lemon-bars-recipe.html

You can make it gluten free by replacing the all purpose flour with:
    [ ] 85 g brown rice flour
    [ ] 25 g potato starch
    [ ] 20 g tapioca starch
    [ ] 2/3 teaspoon xanthan gum

(That's the ratio for a stunning GF pie crust)

I'll definitely be making that one again soon

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    My wife doesn’t eat beef but she’s out of town so when I saw tri-tip at my grocery store I couldn’t resist. I also got a cool steel basket for grilling vegetables so I don’t have to mess with stupid skewers anymore.

The beef has a coating of 1/2 Montreal steak seasoning and 1/2 black pepper. Smoked at 250° until it was 130° and then seared quickly on the grill. Veggies were tossed in olive oil and adobo seasoning and then grilled for a spell.

iiGIe7wl.jpg

BpRrJ60l.jpg

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That steak looks great!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    drool drool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I love lemon bars. I've been using this whole lemon bar recipe for a while now and it's my favorite ever.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I love lemon bars. I've been using this whole lemon bar recipe for a while now and it's my favorite ever.

okay i might have to try this, i fucking love lemon bars

the question will be if any of the groceries within range have organic lemons

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Major caveat but I've made those with a regular lemon and it was fine. Should I be concerned about whether the outside of the regular lemon was covered with chemicals? Probably. Did it affect the dessert? Not that I could tell.

• Options
    Eh. Wash it if you're worried.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    forum GLIIIIITCH

tynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    third time's the charm.

tynic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    WASH IT

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jesus christ forums.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    lather, rinse, repeat. FOREVER.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    These are organic, right?

0006591258100.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's some carbon in there.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I didn't do the salad thing yet (haven't been to the grocery store since your folks' advice though, and thanks again btw I still have my notes) but I just wanted to say, oven-baked asparagus is the fucking bomb. Made some to go along with my rice tonight and it was pretty great.

Before anyone mentions it I am in a kosher household and can't do bacon-wrapped. :P

• Options
    I've heard it's better to wash, even scrub, your citrus before you zest it, due to whatever wax spray coating they put on them to make them last longer and look shiny. No idea if that's true, but imho always a good idea to wash your fruit and veg anyway. Less because of chemicals or whatever than the fact that everyone manhandles everything in the produce section, and people are fucking gross about washing their hands

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Been trying some new recipies this week. Made a lemon garlic chicken with a creamy pan sauce, and burned just the ever loving shit out of my hand oh god. Then tonight (the burn has healed mostly) I did an apple stuffed chicken breast, stuffed with apples, walnuts, cheddar, and some thyme with an apple mustard sauce.

Been pretty good

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I love jerusalem artichokes, but I never buy them because wooo fart city!
    I just found out that pickling them is supposed to get rid of that effect, so I'm (maybe) gonna try that. Very exciting. Will report back with results.

tynic on
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    The mention of roux and gumbo in this thread a few weeks ago set off a hankering for some Cajun/Louisiana food (I am not from that part of the world so if I'm referring to it incorrectly and/or offensively someone let me know!).

I made a giant pot of chicken and chorizo (no hope of getting andouille around here as far as I'm aware) Jambalaya last night using literally a kilo of rice. It turned out deliciously and with loads of leftovers too.

I'm hoping to tackle gumbo using the oven roux technique in the next couple of weeks, too.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a good vinegar based coleslaw recipe?

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Found some Thai basil at the farmer's market, so I'm going to make Thai chicken basil tonight

Which means it's time for me to try to work with fish sauce again

Last time I tried was the Great Pad Thai Disaster of 2017

(It wasn't that bad actually)

• Options
    The only times I've fucked up fish sauce is when I've bought a new brand that's more potent than I expected
    lesson learnt: always taste your mixes

• Options
    I made good fried rice for the first time ever!

I'm always super scared of cooking at really high temps but I said eff it and tried it anyway. Got everything laid out and the whole actual cooking process was probably less than 5 minutes.

Onion first then carrots, peas, and lastly the rice and sauce (made form soy, mirin, fish sauce, and sesame oil). It was devoured by a hungry family in mere seconds

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Found some Thai basil at the farmer's market, so I'm going to make Thai chicken basil tonight

There was a restaurant near where I grew up that made their pad thai sauce out od ketchup and soy sauce. It was Not Great.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

There was a restaurant near where I grew up that made their pad thai sauce out od ketchup and soy sauce. It was Not Great.

NO.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Gonna pass that one along to my friend's thai g/f to make her head explode

edit: speaking of, she has given us a list of thai phrases to use when ordering food which will hopefully make the rest of the lab's head explode
    of course if I were her I would take this as a fantastic prank opportunity, but fortunately I'm fairly sure she's a kinder soul than I.

tynic on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Jesus. And. I thought the time I used Tamarind Beverage instead of real tamarind was bad.

Butler For Life #1 on
This discussion has been closed.