Options

Donald Trump Attacks [The US Military]... Again

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The world is already on track to end up like Armored Core, so might as well reserve your Cradle cryopods now.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Better Armored Core than Mad Max.

One has giant robots and the other doesn’t count cause nothing is better than giant robots.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'll take dystopia over apocalypse, because in one you're alive.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The world is already on track to end up like Armored Core, so might as well reserve your Cradle cryopods now.

you uh

you might not want to be on the Cradle, if we go down the "need giant anti-space cannons to clear a path back into space" route

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    With this timeline, we'd end up not with Armored Cored but Robot Jox.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2018
    We all remember Trump's proposed Space Force, right? Well, Mike Pence spoke at the Pentagon saying that's still in the works.

But the most important question, of course, is the logo. And now, you can vote for your favorite. And by "you" I mean those who donated to Trump's PAC. You did do that, right?

Anyway, the candidates were made by the finest art-school dropout interns willing to work for free.

k7xOKc3vG4_p1_b-R_B_ZA6wS9Q-sSy-Pani8OMK36DQ.jpg

Via Ars Technica

I’ve seen a lot of those designs on dribbble, unconnected to the space force.

Their designers did some heavy “borrowing” here.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well

the whole thing is a grift anyway, no point putting too much effort into it

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    If space is weaponized, you can say goodbye to a lot of shit.

GPS, satellite communications, direct TV, space observation, manned missions, and eventually even space exploration itself once debris from destroyed satellites start filling up our orbits to dangerous levels.

Wanna send a probe to Mars or Europa? Not gonna happen if this shit happens.

This is such a disaster waiting to happen. Wanna marginalize the US military? Remove our long range communications and command and control factors, one of our strongest abilities in modern warfare, and see what happens to the US global reach.

Trying to protect our satellites will be both ridiculously expensive and ultimately pointless. It’ll be by far cheaper and easier to just launch missles full of junk in the orbital path of any satellite. Doesn’t even have to be on the right side of the planet, just launch a shit load of debris, detonate it at the right altitude and latitude, and let Newton do the rest.

It’s like he’s trying to kill space exploration while also grifting billions of dollars through bogus ide-

Ah, I get it now!

Except theres no way that trump can grift off of this; his whole bit is building shitty overpriced real estate not tech projects or arms manufacturing.

Like, unless he's leasing land that they're going to launch from it's not happening.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's more traditional corrption - buying a bunch of shit nobody wants because the guy selling it bankrolls a good chunk of your parties campaigns.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

GPS, satellite communications, direct TV, space observation, manned missions, and eventually even space exploration itself once debris from destroyed satellites start filling up our orbits to dangerous levels.

This is such a disaster waiting to happen. Wanna marginalize the US military? Remove our long range communications and command and control factors, one of our strongest abilities in modern warfare, and see what happens to the US global reach.

Trying to protect our satellites will be both ridiculously expensive and ultimately pointless. It’ll be by far cheaper and easier to just launch missles full of junk in the orbital path of any satellite. Doesn’t even have to be on the right side of the planet, just launch a shit load of debris, detonate it at the right altitude and latitude, and let Newton do the rest.

It’s like he’s trying to kill space exploration while also grifting billions of dollars through bogus ide-

Ah, I get it now!

Except theres no way that trump can grift off of this; his whole bit is building shitty overpriced real estate not tech projects or arms manufacturing.

Like, unless he's leasing land that they're going to launch from it's not happening.

Then there are kickbacks. Money finds a way.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Mick Mulvaney is planning to make it easier to trick service-members into signing predatory loans: Mulvaney Looks to Weaken Oversight of Military Lending

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mick Mulvaney is planning to make it easier to trick service-members into signing predatory loans: Mulvaney Looks to Weaken Oversight of Military Lending

Are y...

No nevermind. It'll get draped under the "personal responsibility" cloak like every removed consumer protection the right engages in.

• Options

That mother-fucker!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That mother-fucker!

Their goal is to remove all barriers to upwards wealth accumulation. Fuck the service members, they have money that the rich don't have all of yet.

• Options
    It's horseshit.

New service members are almost entirely 18 years old and typically come out of initial training with between $4000 and $15,000 depending on length of training and enlistment bonus. More money than most have ever seen in their lives. It's because of their naivete that they are so easily preyed upon by shit vehicle dealerships.

What typically happens is they buy a lemon right off post with some horrific APR. The car breaks down. The dealership either sells the loan or "refers" the SM to a payday lender, whom also preys upon them.

By the time I first meet a Soldier, it can often be too late. This both wastes my time trying to fix, distracting from training and readiness, plus can lead to other problems like divorce for young couples and eventually separation from the military cause the Soldier will eventually break from all the stress and does something like go AWOL or rob a convenience store (I've seen both).

I had two Soldier's last year deal with this bullshit. One I was able to help out of a $20,000 pit he and his wife dug themselves in. It was mid-deployment and I was both acting Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant during the goddamn Nangarhar missions. I ended up helping them and he became better for it, one of the most successful young Soldier's I've ever trained, but the event was one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

The other Soldier ended up threatening to kill his wife, child, and then himself. After getting him both financial and mental health assistance, I had to separate him.

These chucklefucks are evil. "Support the Troops" my ass.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They've got their lapel pins and their soundbites. What more could they possibly do to show support? Stand during the Anthem?

• Options
    zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    It's horseshit.

New service members are almost entirely 18 years old and typically come out of initial training with between $4000 and $15,000 depending on length of training and enlistment bonus. More money than most have ever seen in their lives. It's because of their naivete that they are so easily preyed upon by shit vehicle dealerships.

What typically happens is they buy a lemon right off post with some horrific APR. The car breaks down. The dealership either sells the loan or "refers" the SM to a payday lender, whom also preys upon them.

By the time I first meet a Soldier, it can often be too late. This both wastes my time trying to fix, distracting from training and readiness, plus can lead to other problems like divorce for young couples and eventually separation from the military cause the Soldier will eventually break from all the stress and does something like go AWOL or rob a convenience store (I've seen both).

I had two Soldier's last year deal with this bullshit. One I was able to help out of a $20,000 pit he and his wife dug themselves in. It was mid-deployment and I was both acting Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant during the goddamn Nangarhar missions. I ended up helping them and he became better for it, one of the most successful young Soldier's I've ever trained, but the event was one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

The other Soldier ended up threatening to kill his wife, child, and then himself. After getting him both financial and mental health assistance, I had to separate him.

These chucklefucks are evil. "Support the Troops" my ass.

100% agree. They genuinely don't know any better. There's always predatory used car dealerships right off base, we had an AIT student recently that didn't understand why we were horrified at his 18% rate on his car loan until we did the math for him. They're already easy targets and this just makes them more vulnerable. This is so scummy.

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Maybe basic training should include half an hour on predatory loans.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

So should high school, but predatory loans should also just be illegal so nobody has to bother with it. Like the old days.

moniker on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Some training is provided. But frankly 30 minutes isn’t enough when dealing with a bunch of teenagers who’ve quite possibly never dealt with managing finances in their lives, never received a paycheck before, and have suddenly shifted from the status of completely unappealing to lenders promising them everything under the sun.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

Some training is provided. But frankly 30 minutes isn’t enough when dealing with a bunch of teenagers who’ve quite possibly never dealt with managing finances in their lives, never received a paycheck before, and have suddenly shifted from the status of completely unappealing to any lender to lenders promising them everything under the sun.

Can't tell you how many 18 year olds bought a $1100 laptop on a loan for $3000 on graduation day from the sharks at the PX.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

So should higher school, but predatory loans should also just be illegal so nobody has to bother with it. Like the old days.

Grumble mutter about "financial literacy" initiatives. Like there's any level of financial literacy that could ever be achieved that'd prevent people from being taken by financial scams. The more financially literate people are, the more obscure and obtuse the contracts terms will become.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

probably more than that

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Bad debt results in article 15s and loss of security clearance among other less administrative problems. Making it easier to give out loans that military members can't afford literally makes the military less effective and less secure.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I hate that I spent so many years being a republican and voting republican when I was in the military thinking they were the party for veterans. It's disgusting how they use us and throw us aside.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    I hate that I spent so many years being a republican and voting republican when I was in the military thinking they were the party for veterans. It's disgusting how they use us and throw us aside.

Don't feel bad, I was the same and voted for Bush in 2004 while in Iraq cause I assumed the President in charge would support his subordinates as far as he possibly could. It took many tragic events and self reflection, as well as this forum*, to make me realize how little of a shit the GOP gives to troops.

*That's not hyperbole, it was literally a PA comic that got me to join the forums where I expanded my horizons.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Ah, I get it now!

Then there are kickbacks. Money finds a way.

There will be kickbacks for sure but I think Trump's primary motivation is doing something unprecedented. Everything he dislikes is the "worst ever" and everything he takes credit for is the most successful ever. If he somehow was able to initiate a new branch of the military you better believe he'll talk about it almost every day and carry around a printed copy of its new logo in the same pocket he keeps his printed out electoral college map.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much.

I grew up in a military household with conservative parents and voted for Bush the Lesser once. Kerry's treatment during the 2004 election is what made the facade crack, but its 14 years later and things are very different.

Republicans these days aren't the ones of old... and by old I mean pre Clinton era where he proved Democrats weren't the tax and spend party by balancing the budget, and where their Southern Strategy started to crack and non-white populations began to grow faster. However, they talk a good game. Republicans know which buttons to push to get their way, and now that they've successfully led a voter oppression campaign in largely blue districts they can focus on a plurality of people and still win. Part of their appeal is that they're the "pro military party" and focus on traditionalism and tribalism laced with nationalistic paranoia and us vs. them mentalities to create a system of belief, an almost religious fervor, because people who buy into the sales pitch of belief systems are far more difficult to sway than people who see a political party as a means of using group pressure to simply enact laws. And because they latch on to these venerable and respected institutions like the Army it becomes difficult to question their motivations, see the NFL protests for reference.

It's why you see Democrats instantly turning on people who do questionable shit and Republicans vote in literal Nazis, because they're now a modern religion worshipping at the altar of Free Market Jesus and his apostles, Saint Ronnie and Saint Ayn.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Bad debt results in article 15s and loss of security clearance among other less administrative problems. Making it easier to give out loans that military members can't afford literally makes the military less effective and less secure.

The state of the military can often be the driver for civilian reforms - the ill health of British conscripts during the Boer war was one of the catalysts for the creation of the welfare state in the UK.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Question for the mods, do blatant breaches of security by non-military staff, as relates to the Situation Room, fall under the purview of this thread?

Cause... What was Omarosa doing in the Situation Room in the first place (no security clearance), where she appeared to have no business being*. And why was she apparently capable of and able to, record conversations with John Kelly within?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/omarosa-recorded-john-kelly-in-the-situation-room-and-r-1828288536

I just can't even, with these f'n people. A benign email server, worst thing ever. SOMEONE HAVING A POTENTIALLY COMPROMISED RECORDING DEVICE IN THE SITU-F'N-ATION ROOM? Ehh. Apparently people knew she was doing it all the time, so no biggie.

EDIT - * The reason is actually listed in the article, and it reeks of utter rank stupidity to have the Situation Room be where Kelly felt was the best place to terminate Omarosa's employment. I.... brain on fire.... dead.

MorganV on
  • Options
    I have no idea, but I’m sure the answer is similar to why Jared Kushner is allowed access to secret files and briefings, dispite not having a clearance.

Because the Trump admin doesn’t give a shit.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    WTF is John Kelly thinking?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    He was thinking on what has been his job during the Trump presidency: Getting rid of the traveling circus that was leaking to the press since someone has to do the grown up stuff on the WH and can't do that while dealing with the latest Trump press fodder. Same logic as getting rid of Bannon because, among other things, he was passing info to Mike Cernovich.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    WTF is John Kelly thinking?
    That was my thought. Trump being Trump and demanding she be allowed in (despite him "coffee fetcher"ing Omarosa on Twitter over the last day or so).

But Kelly should know better. Seems like even people who seem like they should know better get dumber when they work for this lot. Is stupidity contagious?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The defense authorization bill was named after.John McCain to recognize his long time public service as both a veteran, and and member of senate. While addressing troops our president honored McCain and his service.

Wait, no he didn't. He didn't mention him at all and then then later in new York bashed him a little bit about the health care vote but didn't call him by name.

edit fixed autocorrects

RickRude on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    A number of explanations have been that it is, much of the time, just a conference room and not inherently classified. So it's just a status power play.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    A number of explanations have been that it is, much of the time, just a conference room and not inherently classified. So it's just a status power play.

But it is a designated room that civilians shouldn't be allowed access to, right? Omarosa did work for the administration, but I don't recall her being in a defence based department.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

I would not be surprised if Trump regularly used the room for non-security-related meetings just so that he could stroke his own ego by pretending that trivial things were important. Heck, I'd surprised if he didn't.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

But it is a designated room that civilians shouldn't be allowed access to, right? Omarosa did work for the administration, but I don't recall her being in a defence based department.

The president is a civilian.

The room is used for non defense related crisis as well, such as natural disasters. There are rules in place for information security, but at the end of the day it's just a suite of conference rooms. Some of the reactions seem to verge on this being a desecration of a holy site.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »

The president is a civilian.

The room is used for non defense related crisis as well, such as natural disasters. There are rules in place for information security, but at the end of the day it's just a suite of conference rooms. Some of the reactions seem to verge on this being a desecration of a holy site.

The POTUS is an exception as they are the top of the food chain in the US government.

1) This wasn't for a natural disaster as far as I'm aware.
    2) Omarosa's job in the admin was being a public liaison, why would she be there in that capacity?

This is about security, and how a proper government functions. Trump's government is notorious for not operating like they're supposed to RE: VA.

This discussion has been closed.