Options

Donald Trump Attacks [The US Military]... Again

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Nothing will work to camouflage an upright human being in center frame, in focus on a camera lens without an even minimally obscured silhouette. There's lots of stupid with military budgets and Trump offenses aimed at service members. I'm not sure we can pin this one on him.

The military industrial complex is pretty strong and inertia would carry it through a half dozen presidents even if every one of them tried to slow it down.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the new stuff but found this video and it's really cool. I could barely spot the guy.

https://youtu.be/JV72Dyw0_C8

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I assume that the idea isn't to blend in with leaves, it's to blend in with tree trunks, dirt, and rocks. Looking like a bush is futile, you want to look like the sort of thing that might be behind a bush.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the new stuff but found this video and it's really cool. I could barely spot the guy.

HOW NOT TO BE SEEN

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

HOW NOT TO BE SEEN

"Mr. Nesbitt, will you stand up, please?"

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    They have fixed the problems with the f-22

Have they really? Never heard about this.

The F-35, from its inception, is any (experienced) tech engineer's nightmare. A platform that does everything. Like Windows.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

The F-35, from its inception, is any (experienced) tech engineer's nightmare. A platform that does everything. Like Windows.

We dumped even more money on it so a version of it could have VTOL capabilities for the marines and our allies with baby carriers. Our acquisitions system feels like a step down from many Kickstarter projects.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

We dumped even more money on it so a version of it could have VTOL capabilities for the marines and our allies with baby carriers. Our acquisitions system feels like a step down from many Kickstarter projects.

Which one launches first f-35's or star citizen!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Trump also managed to sign the defense act named for John McCain and talk about it for half an hour without mentioning John McCain once. He even referred to the act by a generic name in his speech. So on top of his rubbish joke, he failed to mention the veteran with terminal cancer while signing an act named in his honor.

john McCain sucks, this bill was horseshit, and I hate that the media felt the need to talk about this insignificant breach of decorum rather than the fact that they decided to throw another seventy fucking billion dollars at the pentagon

The Part I emphasize is the part that really baffles me; I know it's bordering on treason to question military expenditures, but someone needs to point out that aside from the sporadic bombing campaigns and spec ops that are the day to day affairs of the US government, you aren't actually in any major armed conflicts right now, nor are you in a position to actually start one with any of your likely foes (NK is basically safe since trump can't admit that he utterly failed with kim jong and Iran is neither giving you a good causus belli nor logistically feesible).

So why the need to increase spending by more then 10% particularly when you are slashing any support for the troops on things they actually would benefit from? Like you know: a functional VA.

Defense contractors are really, really good at bribes.

Case in point:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-f-35-14-trillion-dollar-national-disaster-19985

Nearly 3 Decades

$1.4 Trillion

Can't operate in rain or sort of above medium humidity without its paint stripping off. The paint that is a functional part of its stealth functionality.

FFS I hate this plane.

Like I'm not even sure what the point of this plane was, but whatever the initial plan was... its apparently a bad plan cause we spent a trillion and apparently don't have the planes to show for it.

This looks like the plot from The Pentagon Wars, a comedy (based on a book by Colonel James G. Burton, USAF (retired), that I've been meaning to read), about the development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

As @Shorty said, you give too many roles to something, it's not going to be great at any of them. You can obviously get too caught up in specific roles, but designing one plane to handle all roles, seems like the kind of decision someone thinks is ingenious because he doesn't understand how things work, like the scene in Pentagon Wars where the brass keep adding design specs to the Bradley and Richard Schiff gets more and more frustrated.

Here's a link to the movie, and the scene in particular. Timestamp of 23:52 if it doesn't automatically direct.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I recall the exchange about the armoury door being quite funny.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Trump also managed to sign the defense act named for John McCain and talk about it for half an hour without mentioning John McCain once. He even referred to the act by a generic name in his speech. So on top of his rubbish joke, he failed to mention the veteran with terminal cancer while signing an act named in his honor.

john McCain sucks, this bill was horseshit, and I hate that the media felt the need to talk about this insignificant breach of decorum rather than the fact that they decided to throw another seventy fucking billion dollars at the pentagon

The Part I emphasize is the part that really baffles me; I know it's bordering on treason to question military expenditures, but someone needs to point out that aside from the sporadic bombing campaigns and spec ops that are the day to day affairs of the US government, you aren't actually in any major armed conflicts right now, nor are you in a position to actually start one with any of your likely foes (NK is basically safe since trump can't admit that he utterly failed with kim jong and Iran is neither giving you a good causus belli nor logistically feesible).

So why the need to increase spending by more then 10% particularly when you are slashing any support for the troops on things they actually would benefit from? Like you know: a functional VA.

Defense contractors are really, really good at bribes.

Case in point:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-f-35-14-trillion-dollar-national-disaster-19985

Nearly 3 Decades

$1.4 Trillion

Can't operate in rain or sort of above medium humidity without its paint stripping off. The paint that is a functional part of its stealth functionality.

FFS I hate this plane.

Like I'm not even sure what the point of this plane was, but whatever the initial plan was... its apparently a bad plan cause we spent a trillion and apparently don't have the planes to show for it.

This looks like the plot from The Pentagon Wars, a comedy (based on a book by Colonel James G. Burton, USAF (retired), that I've been meaning to read), about the development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

As with any film, some liberties with facts are present, but I have it on decent authority (one of my dad's cousins Maj. John Arms, US Army, retired in 1983) that the great sheep chase and the Israelis demanding a shitload of refits on it are spot on. He was in the Army Corps of Engineers and consulted some on the Bradley, roughly after it got the tank cannon, but before the men would be asked to carry/store TOW missiles on their heads.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    moniker wrote: »
    the purpose was to replace every other plane, which was a stupid idea from the start, especially since the one role it really must excel at in order to do the other things it needs to, air superiority, is better filled by the F-22, which itself is still better at it than every other fighter on the planet

Remember when the ACU was supposed to replace all other camo?

ytiuywkq60q9.png

Oh god he blends in so well game over other nations

WhIle it may look silly my understanding is they did a lot of testing and it actually does work. I feel like I remember seeing a thing on TV about how they debeloved camo

I think I recall seeing that it tested as 2nd or 3rd best in all terrains whereas other patterns did much better, but only in particular settings rather than all of them. Which, camo seems like the kind of thing you want to min/max for the theatre rather than averaging out.

Of course there's the famous floral couch.

I do remember having a bird's eye view on all kinds of operations. I did retrans and we'd often be up on top of a very tall hill (over 100m up). We'd be able to see areas with plains, heavy foliage, and sparse vegetation in any direction. There's a reason we'd have a lot of foreign militaries train at Fort Sill: It resembled Afghanistan quite a bit.

You could see the ACU's sticking out from quite literally a mile away, even under vegetative cover. They were just too bright.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised that movie got made, normally when you make something that criticizes the US military it gets blackballed by the DoD and you can't use US military regalia anymore

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    NM

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yo this isn't a catch-all military thread. If your post isn't about Trump's statements etc about the military and/or his admin's policies affecting the military then it isn't on topic.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    [Redacted] in compliance with USMOD ruling 8-14

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/402142-trumps-military-parade-to-cost-80-million-more-than-initial-estimate

I cannot remember having seen this discussed but apparently, according to CNBC via The Hill, this parade is going to cost juuuuust a bit more than 12 mil
    The Hill wrote:

President Trump's planned military parade in Washington, D.C., is reportedly estimated to cost $92 million, $80 million more than was initially thought.

CNBC reported Thursday that the Department of Defense's updated cost estimates includes $50 million from the Pentagon and $42 million from interagency partners, including the Department of Homeland Security.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus christ a 100 million dollars on a fucking jerk off parade? That is ridiculous even for our government.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jesus christ a 100 million dollars on a fucking jerk off parade? That is ridiculous even for our government.

Jesus, I misread that at 10 million and still thought it was ridiculous.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It seems high, doesn't it? One wonders whether the cost was low balled this entire time or if some new expenses were suddenly discovered. Or "discovered" as the case may be, with a grifty administration

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It seems high, doesn't it? One wonders whether the cost was low balled this entire time or if some new expenses were suddenly discovered. Or "discovered" as the case may be, with a grifty administration

I don't find it surprising at all, especially if the negotiations require the military to repair the roads and such after the heavy equipment is driven over them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I haven't heard anything concrete, but is this parade a thing we're actively working on, or is it still in the Trump-fever-dream stages of conception?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I don't find it surprising at all, especially if the negotiations require the military to repair the roads and such after the heavy equipment is driven over them.

Corporate sponsorship!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    $14 million for joint US/South Korea military exercises? Wasteful!

Nearly $100 million on a military parade of jangly keys to make the toddler in chief feel like a big man for the day (and then again for months and years to come as he gushes about it to everyone who has to listen to him)? Totally worthwhile!

C'mon, 'fiscal conservatives', let's see something other than self interest and racism on display! Anyone? Anyone at all?

Voiceover: Forar's pleas were never answered.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    C'mon, 'fiscal conservatives', let's see something other than self interest and racism on display! Anyone? Anyone at all?

Yeah, I think we can dispense with the "party of fiscal responsibility" concept now.

Last time Trump paid to get his rocks off, it only cost $130k. Of his own money, not the federal governments.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The "party of fiscal responsibility" claptrap hasn't been true since at least the 50s.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Forcing a bunch of service members to spend their time practicing drill and ceremony is a surefire way to get them to hate you. It’s definitely an attack on the military.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything concrete, but is this parade a thing we're actively working on, or is it still in the Trump-fever-dream stages of conception?

I’ve heard nothing at all about calls for volunteers like they’d normally have before something like the inauguration. I can’t help but hope the can just keeps getting kicked down the road by the military since no one but Trump seems to think this is a good idea.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mexico will pay for the parade, right?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mexico will pay for the parade, right?

The wall. I think North Korea has to pay for the parade.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Quid wrote: »

I’ve heard nothing at all about calls for volunteers like they’d normally have before something like the inauguration. I can’t help but hope the can just keeps getting kicked down the road by the military since no one but Trump seems to think this is a good idea.

I’m more than half certain that the 92 million number is both legitimate and the highest possible cost scenario because it’s the most likely figure to prevent this stupid thing from happening at all.

You don’t undershoot your project costs by 800% entirely on accident, and if you do, you don’t talk about it publicly unless you have a reason.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

I’m more than half certain that the 92 million number is both legitimate and the highest possible cost scenario because it’s the most likely figure to prevent this stupid thing from happening at all.

You don’t undershoot your project costs by 800% entirely on accident, and if you do, you don’t talk about it publicly unless you have a reason.

Would the first cost being plucked from the air to be less than the war games, and the actual cost being 800% higher count as a reason?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Supposedly it is supposed to be on Veteran's Day. Also known as the Centennial of the Armistice of the First World War.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    fuckin', armistice day

what a day to have a military parade on

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Kurt Vonneguts eternal grave spinning increases by a few hundred RPMs

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Pentagon postpones Trump's military parade

Even the Pentagon wants to wait for Mueller to finish?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    moniker wrote: »

Supposedly it is supposed to be on Veteran's Day. Also known as the Centennial of the Armistice of the First World War.

It'd be a bit soon then. If emails don't start flying by early October then I'd say something's up.

Edit: AND SOMETHING'S UP

Quid on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

This is just embarrassing. The United States of America, officially, can no longer get its shit together to throw a fucking military parade. In Third World countries, these things are done once a year like clockwork, but nobody at the Trump White House nor the Trump Pentagon has any damn clue what the fuck is going on in their own damn houses.

hippofant on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Word came out that it would cost around $90 million. The Pentagon blinked.

This discussion has been closed.