As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade October [chat] Spooktacular

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    My nephew has it figured out already, too.

My brother was telling me that he calls sweatpants "softies", so like if he's getting dressed and you ask if he wants to wear jeans, he'll shake his head and tell you that he wants to wear softies. So 9 out of 10 days that dude is rockin' sweatpants.

I aspire to that level of confidence.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Does anyone want to marry me

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I finally met this person I've known online for like 10 years and is a ridiculous human being

It seems like her life plan is to marry a millionaire so she can be a beach bum forever

She's 40

I don't even know

I like this plan.

I would also like to marry a millionaire and be a beach bum.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I finally met this person I've known online for like 10 years and is a ridiculous human being

It seems like her life plan is to marry a millionaire so she can be a beach bum forever

She's 40

I don't even know

a Tuesday night leaguer?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    But right, we were hanging out with another local person who's a biglaw associate, and she and I were talking about career uncertainty and just not quite knowing what our ideal like looks like, and we're like, ok how about you, Californian visitor? And this woman is like yeah, I just want to keep surfing and travel a lot, maybe the tech millionaire I'm currently dating will work out

...like that's actually her life plan???
    I just...well...ok...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    being allergic to ranch might end up being a boon really

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I think we should remove the general public's ability to put reviews on the internet, not make them more important.

Oh man yeah.

If I am looking at a game I may look at Metacritic and Steam. But just the base score and even then I still go watch gameplay vids to be sure because I have played some great games that got blasted by the mob.

No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, and hell I even enjoyed that SimCity that got slammed.
    Well I'm pretty sure you're objectively wrong about SimCity.

That SimCity was pretty fun for a little while. But the flaws came out pretty fast.

Cities Skylines just bulldozed over Sim City 5.

It wasn't even fair.

Cities Skylines does seem to be pretty awesome from the little bits I've played.

People were more apt to look over the flaws the game had at release because it was offline and had slightly larger build spaces. It has improved a lot given the time to do so though. No more corpse towns. No more filling up tiny spots you were given. No more buggy traffic. Its the best out right now.

"Slightly" larger? Nah man, the build space in Cities was like 5-10 times the size of SC5.

/shrug. You got, what was it 14 or more, plots you could build on and connect. You get one in Cities. So Simcity was slightly larger. And at release it only the best computers could build on the full Cities plot anyway as it still needed a ton of optimization. Its much better now though like I said.

Oh yeah it went from really good to amazing, but I'm just sayin... the Skylines plots were 3kmx3km and SC5's were 2kmx2km.

These days we can unlock all 81 tiles in Skylines, it's niiice.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That picture is like a horrifying brats doll version of Jessica Rabbit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    on the bright side he's not allergic to bees

if it's only his first sting he still might be

Hm we should have an epipen here I guess

Wonder how expensive

Don't they expire every 6 months? You will be advised to stay away from stuff like peanut butter until whatever age. Think it's 2. But I think you'll be ok without one. Can ask your ped about it though.

unsurprisingly that's now changing and people are beginning to have evidence that for many food allergies, it's that we stayed away from the food that triggers allergic response on first exposure.

The whole thing is a giant goddamn question mark. Stuff changed between BC and spool17 and there's a raft of things we did that aren't done now, and vice versa.

yeah, you just go with the best research available at the time really. what else can you do.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I think we should remove the general public's ability to put reviews on the internet, not make them more important.

Oh man yeah.

If I am looking at a game I may look at Metacritic and Steam. But just the base score and even then I still go watch gameplay vids to be sure because I have played some great games that got blasted by the mob.

No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, and hell I even enjoyed that SimCity that got slammed.

That SimCity was pretty fun for a little while. But the flaws came out pretty fast.

It wasn't even fair.

Cities Skylines does seem to be pretty awesome from the little bits I've played.

People were more apt to look over the flaws the game had at release because it was offline and had slightly larger build spaces. It has improved a lot given the time to do so though. No more corpse towns. No more filling up tiny spots you were given. No more buggy traffic. Its the best out right now.

It's just a matter of being honest.

"We can't give you single player because it all happens on the cloud!!!!!!111!!!one"

Not honest. Just disable those cloud features, besides, the simulations should happen on our computers because there's no way that's even fucking cost effective in the long run.

Cities Skyline was super honest for what it was. It had it's flaws, but you could tell they weren't making shit up just to sell you a polished turd.

There were a lot of other problems with Sim City 5, too. I'd argue that the build spaces we're much smaller and the simulation was really shallow.

The launch date problems with Cities Skylines were all problems with simulation logic. "Corpse towns" happened because of a combination of citizen lifespan logic and traffic logic.

But the truth behind that is that there is some pretty sophisticated simulation logic under the hood. Citizens have lifespans! They age and die! Traffic is actually trying to get from point A to point B!

Whereas in SimCity 5, the behavior of Sims was abstracted into rules that made it more like a puzzle game than a simulation. For example, Sims in SimCity 5 don't have persistent homes. When a Sim leaves work, he goes to the closest available empty house. All of the utilities including water use the same congestion rules as traffic.

The simplicity of their simulation made both the small building areas and the always-online requirement questionable.

Sure. It still resulted in game breaking bugs though.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

I got nothing better going on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

She's 40

I don't even know
    That sounds like a great plan. Where can I sign up for this plan? Don't (at) me.

Southern California but also you have to be a food journalist(???) and go on a lot of international trips where you have cuddle sessions with millionaires

I cannot figure out if she's actually a journalist; she's definitely sort of trying to be but also sort of not trying that hard and getting money from her parents and her dates

She is american but has a british accent from when she was dating a swedish aristo years ago so now she's basically european and did you know that americans should work less etc etc

I'm really just disappointed that she was wearing normal clothes instead of like a dolce and gabbana jumpsuit or the sort of ridiculous outfits she describes on her blog...

This is my new favourite person, I'm so excited.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That picture is like a horrifying brats doll version of Jessica Rabbit.

Based on a real human and she sings!

And then mario throws his hat on their head and forces their consciousness out of their body and he takes over like some sort of horrifying mind plumber.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

you double dippin

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Since the Weinstein thing broke, there has been a response in hashtag form from France in #BalanceTonPorc (Which I think would be "Dump your pig").

I shouldn't have googled that, though, because the loudest people talking about it are whining about how dare women be disrespectful to men.

and I'm like :|:|:|

and by "loudest people" i mean journalists in big newspapers.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    being allergic to ranch might end up being a boon really

Its a contact thing, so it just causes a skin rash around his lips. Doesn't stop the little boogar from eating only ranch and not the chicken nuggets with it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

what do you bring to this relationship

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Anyone wanting to marry Six I’ll give you whatever he’s offering, +$1.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    But right, we were hanging out with another local person who's a biglaw associate, and she and I were talking about career uncertainty and just not quite knowing what our ideal like looks like, and we're like, ok how about you, Californian visitor? And this woman is like yeah, I just want to keep surfing and travel a lot, maybe the tech millionaire I'm currently dating will work out

I just...well...ok...

the idea of a "life plan" is offensive to me and i demand you recant and apologize publicly

• Options

She's 40

I don't even know

a Tuesday night leaguer?

Haha no, someone from my alumni blogging community. She updates a million times a day because she doesn't quite work (??) and is the subject of many many controversies/gossip on the community because her life choices make people get pretty catty and also she has a lot of really iffy opinions about all manner of subjects. Sort of a legendary figure who I've wanted to meet FOREVER, and she was finally in town.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Someone in congress edited the Porg wiki page to say porgs are dope

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

To marry six or you?

• Options

you double dippin

Are you not?

• Options
    my life plan is basically keep doing it and then i guess deal with whatever happens

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Oh man yeah.

It wasn't even fair.

It's just a matter of being honest.

"We can't give you single player because it all happens on the cloud!!!!!!111!!!one"

Not honest. Just disable those cloud features, besides, the simulations should happen on our computers because there's no way that's even fucking cost effective in the long run.

Cities Skyline was super honest for what it was. It had it's flaws, but you could tell they weren't making shit up just to sell you a polished turd.

There were a lot of other problems with Sim City 5, too. I'd argue that the build spaces we're much smaller and the simulation was really shallow.

The launch date problems with Cities Skylines were all problems with simulation logic. "Corpse towns" happened because of a combination of citizen lifespan logic and traffic logic.

But the truth behind that is that there is some pretty sophisticated simulation logic under the hood. Citizens have lifespans! They age and die! Traffic is actually trying to get from point A to point B!

Whereas in SimCity 5, the behavior of Sims was abstracted into rules that made it more like a puzzle game than a simulation. For example, Sims in SimCity 5 don't have persistent homes. When a Sim leaves work, he goes to the closest available empty house. All of the utilities including water use the same congestion rules as traffic.

The simplicity of their simulation made both the small building areas and the always-online requirement questionable.

Sure. It still resulted in game breaking bugs though.

At least you could play it for 1-60 minutes.

I couldn't even connect the first day of SC5. Well, I lie, I could connect for about 10 seconds.

I think we finally were able to play a week or so later, but still it'd disconnect us after about 10 minutes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

You can have Six for a triple layer nachos from taco bell

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I want to see like ten years into the future so I can figure out how everything works out

• Options

I just...well...ok...

the idea of a "life plan" is offensive to me and i demand you recant and apologize publicly

is that sweat on your brow

• Options

you double dippin

Are you not?

i'm not even single dippin

i guess that evens out

carry on

• Options
    What the heck

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Oh man yeah.

It wasn't even fair.

"Slightly" larger? Nah man, the build space in Cities was like 5-10 times the size of SC5.

/shrug. You got, what was it 14 or more, plots you could build on and connect. You get one in Cities. So Simcity was slightly larger. And at release it only the best computers could build on the full Cities plot anyway as it still needed a ton of optimization. Its much better now though like I said.

Well the plots "connecting" wasn't really anything more than a single road going in and out right?

Oh yeah nm im thinking of another game. My bad. I do remember when they modded the maps larger in Simcity 5 though it was killing gpus too heh.

oh wait didn't they turn off cheetah speed

because it was killing the servers to have everyone run their city on 3x speed?

Meanwhile a combination folks using network monitors, disconnecting their internet while playing the game, and anonymous leaks by developers all pointed to a pretty clear conclusion:

The "online only" features were mostly DRM checks, cloud saved games, and multiplayer features (like trading utilities between cities). Intra-city simulation logic was (probably) done entirely locally.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I just...well...ok...

is that sweat on your brow

i don't know, i never take time for reflection so i don't look in mirrors

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I want to see like ten years into the future so I can figure out how everything works out

27 year old me might be horrified

or might not

which might be horrifying in and of itself

• Options

She's 40

I don't even know

a Tuesday night leaguer?

Haha no, someone from my alumni blogging community. She updates a million times a day because she doesn't quite work (??) and is the subject of many many controversies/gossip on the community because her life choices make people get pretty catty and also she has a lot of really iffy opinions about all manner of subjects. Sort of a legendary figure who I've wanted to meet FOREVER, and she was finally in town.

haha that's great

I am super not connected with my alma mater in any official capacity. I wonder if there's a similar community out there. probably?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

She's 40

I don't even know

Is uh

Is the beach bum millionaires wife industry going through a hiring boom these days

Because idk about this plan

desc on
  • Options
    My life plan

1. Be born
    2. Go to school
    3. Go to college in something i like that is also useful to society
    4. Go to university in same field to be extra good at is
    5. don't get a job in the field
    6. ???
    7. Become a game industry success story.
    8. die happy and contented at 130 years old.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Why did they have to drag out Pauline for a new mainline Mario when Daisy is right there. She did her time with all the sports and mario parties and some obscure character has to cut the line and get the spotlight.

• Options

I just...well...ok...

My life plan is to make it home today. I'll update my plan accordingly once I've accomplished that! Everything else is way too far in the future, geez.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I just...well...ok...

Meh. Some folks are just content with little and can live that kind of life.

I like stuff too much for that. But I can absolutely see the appeal.

• Options
    Hmmm I do have some copy-pasted samples of some of the most egregiously ridiculous blogging from her (...because my sister and I used to email each other this sort of thing a lot) but I hesitate to post it publicly.

Available upon request, though.

This discussion has been closed.