As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Hey Kid, I'm a Computer

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Apples and Oranges; D1 only on console - they can't outgrow the console they're on. WoW launched on PC, ran on a potato in its early days. Now? Client is 50GB and the engine has modern hardware to stretch its legs. Also, paying a monthly fee + complete reset is a solid way to lose your base; reset at a one time cost, not so much. Destiny is mmo-ish; WoW is a straight up MMO. WoW has struggled to make the early levelling experience still relevant for the few doing it; last I checked the Cataclysm world refresh wasn't seen as worth the time and effort .

I can always go back and launch Destiny 1 if I want. I kinda do, I want to get the last two achievements - ringing some bells and buying the last iron relic.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Probably been seen by everyone who cares but, Daddy Datto puts the stat talk issues into pretty concise words

https://youtu.be/ZDtd8gLALOk

Long story short, Recovery is so drastically better as a stat that Mobility and Resilience need to be tuned to matter more. Just giving the other class tier10 Recovery armor won't fix the larger issue of Recovery being the only stat that feels relevant.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Nosf wrote: »

Apples and Oranges; D1 only on console - they can't outgrow the console they're on. WoW launched on PC, ran on a potato in its early days. Now? Client is 50GB and the engine has modern hardware to stretch its legs. Also, paying a monthly fee + complete reset is a solid way to lose your base; reset at a one time cost, not so much. Destiny is mmo-ish; WoW is a straight up MMO. WoW has struggled to make the early levelling experience still relevant for the few doing it; last I checked the Cataclysm world refresh wasn't seen as worth the time and effort .

I can always go back and launch Destiny 1 if I want. I kinda do, I want to get the last two achievements - ringing some bells and buying the last iron relic.

Do you know how much fun I could have taking a newbie via guided games through his first Crota raid? Do you know I never bought Rise of Iron and would be stoked to go do that now while Trials is gone for 2 weeks. Shit man. The article is spot fucking on in my opinion.

It'd give them so many more options.
    • "Sorry prestige raid is delayed, as an alternative, we are offering Crota's End with Void Burn as a fun raid to run this week and if you complete it, you'll get a unique emblem. Have at ye!"
    • "Sorry trials is off. As a result, we're bringing back Iron Banner with everyone being forced to equip Jolder's Hammer (gun disappears upon match ending. If you get 10 kills in a row, you'll get two of these new shaders!"

I can't even tell you how easy it'd be to keep me happy if there was at least some fun content, but they can't do that based on their tech/business model.

Edit: Sorry I am so salty with Bungie right now :/

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My guess remains that what we perceive as catastrophic player dropoff is, in fact, normal and expected.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My guess remains that what we perceive as catastrophic player dropoff is, in fact, normal and expected.

This is my thought, as well. I'm not sure exactly how it matches up, but I feel like a 50% dropoff rate after a month sounds about right.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

WoW has seen enormous rises and declines over the years until they stopped publishing numbers because it didn't really do them any favours. I'd wager almost every game does, the real question is at its lowest ebb, does it make enough money to make the thing worth supporting.

• Options
    Also, I would be all for stupid temporary comic relief game modes. Like, here's a crucible playlist where you have no guns, just melee and 5 second grenades cooldowns. Or the Leviathan raid but you can only use sidearms and grenade launchers.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I picked up some pubs from the100 to run the raid. Wasn't sure what to expect before hand but...

that was the smoothest raid I've run thus far in the Leviathan, and it was a really pleasant bunch of guys.

One shot everything but Callus, got him on maybe the 3rd attempt.

Also since we had multiple people needing seals we ran the Castellum before every encounter, plus twice more (once because we had to go to orbit because spawn glitch at Callus, and another time after we finished the raid to give the 10th and final seal for the Acrius quest).

So I've got my 305 Acrius, just need to do the Prestige Raid for the ornament and finally clear the quest from my Power slots.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    No trials for two weeks? How long is that? Maybe a fortnite?

I know I used this land joke before but it's better now. I probably won't use it again soon. At least not for a fortnite.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    WoW has recently introduced that sort of thing in their PVP, it comes around a week at a time each month, I think? I think they'd be better off with less novelty modes and better strike modes like scoring, boss rushes, mimicking WoW's mythic+ / nephalem rift modes more closely.

I would be curious as to what the reception was for the masses for raid ornaments and such in D1 and while I know they were popular here, were they not widely embraced by the masses? It would be odd to chalk it up to that given that trials really feels aimed at a statistically insignificant number of high end players to jerk themselves off while they kill randoms.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Disrupter wrote: »
    No trials for two weeks? How long is that? Maybe a fortnite?

I know I used this land joke before but it's better now. I probably won't use it again soon. At least not for a fortnite.

As I said I cannot use memes or videos again tonight, imagine there is a batman slapping robin image here.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Fortnite is pretty good though, anybody who is disenchanted with D2 should totes play it with me.

Alternatively just come back and play D1, where dumb shit like this still happens

https://youtu.be/7DCXk9nupGU

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    We posting ridiculous D1 clips now? Have at it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRL8fDGlUcw

And yes, I did the Carlton at the end. Come at me.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    It's funny that Trials is cancelled for 2 weeks because of the emote glitch, and that's exactly how long the restriction is for the players banned for performing network manipulation in Trials...

Sorry, not funny. Depressing.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The Sighborgs gave Prestige Raid a half-assed attempt, but quickly gave up due to how unfun it is to shoot red-bar mobs with a full clip to kill.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    "Come back to Destiny 1! "

*posts supremacy video*

Nooooooooooo

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Nosf wrote: »

The world refresh was totally worth it if you leveled normally. It wasn't worth it given what they had to give up to do it though (ie - Cata's skimpy endgame content). And since it never fixed Outland, you still had to eat that shit sandwich anyway. After a while though the main issue is there were so many levels it took new players or people rerolling AGES to get to the new content they'd just bought. So they've been throwing boosts at everyone which completely negates the investment in making quality leveling content.

But I think there is a degree of truth to the comparison here in that making WoW 2 will invite inevitable comparisons that are difficult to deal. You get the lack of content and a lack of years of polish, which is a huge thing that killed every "WoW killer". And the other thing you get is that any change you make gets picked over because the other game is right there and the players played it a ton and know all it's quirks. And any change you didn't make gets hit with complaints of "not really a new game, v1.5, etc, etc".

shryke on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    What I'm really picking up from this thread is that I should be playing WoW and fortnite until D2 sorts it's shit out...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    By the way, what's the first raid encounter this week?

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Gauntlet -> Warbeasts -> Baths

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vetnod_v1E

Looks like backpacks just got bigger...

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Re: Nameless Midnight or Origin Story

PvE Answer: Better Devils

With the caveat that you want something with long range in the energy slot.

As a HC, BD one-taps a vastly greater number of redbars especially if you land those precision hits. It also has explosive rounds so isn't a slouch at mid-long range. Lots of PvE is mid-short range engagements where BD outclasses NM and OS significantly.

That thing is going to be a monster on PC.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »

As a HC, BD one-taps a vastly greater number of redbars especially if you land those precision hits. It also has explosive rounds so isn't a slouch at mid-long range. Lots of PvE is mid-short range engagements where BD outclasses NM and OS significantly.

But you ALSO have sunshot if you use NM...

And then you can enjoy everything explodying

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I just got a Sunshot but I'm a Titan

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Huggles wrote: »

But you ALSO have sunshot if you use NM...

And then you can enjoy everything explodying

For PvE you can prise my Wardcliff/Merciless from my cold efficient hands.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Seeing as how I've only got one Powerful Loot engram a week I can get I've decided to go ahead and level up my Warlock. Both her and my Titan carried over from D1, so I feel I should at least get her to 20. I just haven't been to eager to do the story missions again, but with the skippable cutscenes it hasn't been too bad.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Seeing as how I've only got one Powerful Loot engram a week I can get I've decided to go ahead and level up my Warlock. Both her and my Titan carried over from D1, so I feel I should at least get her to 20. I just haven't been to eager to do the story missions again, but with the skippable cutscenes it hasn't been too bad.

Crucible and flashpoint can be soloed. People on here will help you with the nightfall on any system. If you need an Xbox clan and the PA one is full I have one, we get all but the clan engrams weekly.

• Options

Crucible and flashpoint can be soloed. People on here will help you with the nightfall on any system. If you need an Xbox clan and the PA one is full I have one, we get all but the clan engrams weekly.

I'm in the PA Xbox clan, so those engrams are nice. But I thought Crucible only gave a Rare Emblem? And I'd love to do a Nightfall at some point, I've asked in the thread a couple times but never got any interest. Maybe this weekend I can find a couple folks willing.

• Options
    You can easily check from the director and call to arms the pvp quest each week clearly says powerful gear. You have to do the 2 quick play then 2 competitive games first. Takes about 30 minutes.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    crucible gives a powerful engram once you unlock call to arms

so do two quick play matches and then two competitive matches

CtA is a powerful reward right?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i see i should have read one more post

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    What I'm really picking up from this thread is that I should be playing WoW and fortnite until D2 sorts it's shit out...

We actually played the free Battle Royale mode last night and it was pretty entertaining. @metaghost was a little leery of the not explained at all building mechanics ><, but other than that it was a pretty hilarious time.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    You can easily check from the director and call to arms the pvp quest each week clearly says powerful gear. You have to do the 2 quick play then 2 competitive games first. Takes about 30 minutes.

Ah, that explains it. I did the 2 quick play but have never bothered with the Competitive mode. (I'm not a big fan of Destiny's PVP). So that "Do 2 Competitive matches" challenge has just been sitting there. Guess I'll have to lose those 2 matches at some point just to get to the good loot.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    This mechanic with the engram vendors randomly dropping 300 power engrams is annoying... Having to check every 30 minutes and 300 drops being quite rare makes it a bit boring to do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Ah, that explains it. I did the 2 quick play but have never bothered with the Competitive mode. (I'm not a big fan of Destiny's PVP). So that "Do 2 Competitive matches" challenge has just been sitting there. Guess I'll have to lose those 2 matches at some point just to get to the good loot.

yeah call to arms takes somewhere like 5 or 7 matches depending on how well you do, so really once you get to the point where you only have to do call to arms every week, you can basically just do a match a day if you really can't stand pvp (which is a feel i understand)

• Options
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    This mechanic with the engram vendors randomly dropping 300 power engrams is annoying... Having to check every 30 minutes and 300 drops being quite rare makes it a bit boring to do.

i don't even understand the point of it other than frustrating people who are stuck at 304

like me

who just needs a god damned chest piece to drop from a 300 engram

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Xur Titan.

Sweet business
    Raider flux
    Doomfang pauldrons
    Winters guile

50/50 on repeats. I just want Orpheus or nighthawk to show up so I don't have entire playstyles gated off :(

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Welp, there's the gloves I wanted.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Xur Titan.

Sweet business
    Raider flux
    Doomfang pauldrons
    Winters guile

50/50 on repeats. I just want Orpheus or nighthawk to show up so I don't have entire playstyles gated off :(

Or Synthoceps. FUCK! I just want to punch mans and my eyes have been opened about the synthoceps, which naturally, I still dont have.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
This discussion has been closed.