As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phasers and Pseudopods: How to Win at 3D Chess and other [Tabletop Games]

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    There is no barrier to entry in role-playing games. All you need is your imagination. Dice are handy but you could just as easily flip coins or use dominos or playing cards as random number generators.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    i always wanted to try it out a game, the stories i hear just sound so fun.

The last person who i had try to spin one up kinda just.. dropped it.

Something about 2 guys, a girl and a pizza place.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

your dm is ABC?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay but a Gnome Bard who's Bardic College is culinary school is now something I want to make into a thing.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Okay but a Gnome Bard who's Bardic College is culinary school is now something I want to make into a thing.

This works meshes with a setting I've been toying somewhat inspired by Dungeon Meshi where instead of magic, you have various schools of cooking, and they make food such quality, it grants stat buffs and powers. Getting ingredients, now that's an adventure.

Battles become part combat and part Iron Chef/Chopped.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Congratulations, I think you may have come up with a more unfeasible bard concept than my stage magician bard

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Man I was ready to roll on that sucker and then no one could agree on a time to meet up

• Options
    Scheduling is honestly the worst and hardest part of game setup these days. Why can't stupid life let me DM full time?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Fuck life

Let's become liches and game every day

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Fuck life

Let's become liches and game every day

I'm into it

• Options
    Someone mention becoming liches? after you become a lich come meet me at The Cool Place For Liches, do not bring weapons.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Someone mention becoming liches? after you become a lich come meet me at The Cool Place For Liches, do not bring weapons.

k brt

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd rather become a lichen. Or a lichen lich. Seems like a pretty good life.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

Are you a paladin? You have to tell us if you're a paladin

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

Are you a paladin? You have to tell us if you're a paladin

i am not a paladin, please disregard my hair cut and holy sword.

• Options
    it was a gift.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Oh, NOW you're all about the paladins.

• Options
    i literally just said i'm not a paladin.

I'm also not a week's ride away. i am at the cool place for liches.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Yeah, cause a lich den is gonna be located right down the road, just outside of town.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Yeah, cause a lich den is gonna be located right down the road, just outside of town.

Right down the road, can't miss it.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Across from the bad Dennys

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

No such thing

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ya'll getting me excited for Pax South.
    Secret Gathering of Cool Liches by the Dennys

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Everything in the south is by the Denny's

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Somethings are by the Waffle House.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Somethings are by the Waffle House.

For example: The Denny's.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Who's the guy who finalizes cover art before actually writing out the rules?

It's this guy.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

No such thing

there would have to be a good denny's for there to be a bad denny's.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

well, they wouldn't probably, by default

they mostly use touch attacks and the black magicks

• Options
    unrelated, i got frostgrave ghost archipelago, it's neat, should get around to find someone to play it with.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    -
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Who's the guy who finalizes cover art before actually writing out the rules?

It's this guy.

Just like the rest of life, it's what you look like on the outside that matters

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hey if anyone ever wanted to own far too many Steampunk RPG supplements (which would be a number higher than 0 I think???) there's A Warmachine/Hordes RPG/novel bundle

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Is that a good role-playing system?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's not bad. It's got it's roots in the warchmachine/hordes war gaming system. The world can be interesting if you dig gaslight fantasy/dieselpunk but I wouldn't call it horribly flexible outside the setting.

That said, if you love Iron Kingdoms (featuring mainly magical steam-driven robots kicking the shit out of each other at the behest of their battle wizards) definitely worth getting.

If you haven't played it, worth at least looking at to see if it's your cup of tea.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    That totally reminds me I should run Blades in the Dark with Five Fingers as the setting. It'd be perfect!

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    How much leeway is there to run a one off that's just the PC's (and some lame NPC's) taking part in a Rock'Em Sockem robots tournament?

EDIT: For more detail I'm thinking like, Blood Bowl style 'this universe but sportsball warps it' but for Robot gladiators. Probably with the PC's not all on the same team (at least not all the time).

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    How much leeway is there to run a one off that's just the PC's (and some lame NPC's) taking part in a Rock'Em Sockem robots tournament?

EDIT: For more detail I'm thinking like, Blood Bowl style 'this universe but sportsball warps it' but for Robot gladiators. Probably with the PC's not all on the same team (at least not all the time).

You could do that. They actually have a Blood Bowl style variant called Grind, where you use the robots to knock a spiked wrecking ball around the arena.

Also, built into the game are rules for the robots (called laborjacks or warjacks) to slam, head butt and throw each other around the table. It's built with a little high octane pro-wrestling flair to it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Is that a good role-playing system?

I like the Iron Kingdoms system a lot theoretically but have not gotten to play it.

It's definitely high on the complexity scale, pretty comparable to 4E in terms of tactical combat detail. I'm a big fan of the class system, which has you pick two classes (careers) at character creation and then have the option to unlock more as you level up (or you can get more stuff from your existing careers). There's a lot of room for customization, but still allows for reasonably quick character creation.

At a buck for the core rulebook, I personally would consider it worth it just to flip through and see the things it does, but then I enjoy reading RPG books on their own so I'm weird :P

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I gotta say Humble Bundle has been killing lately with these RPG book bundles. A dollar for that much content is crazy.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still prefer a physical book. I love pdfs for reference but nothing beats a big ol' hardbound book.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.