Options

[PUBG] Now On Mobile: Chicken Dinner On The Go!!!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    He has his volume up too loud, but I imagine that he represents a respectable sized portion of the player base because he's trying to hear the quietest sound at maximum range where it is barely within range of normal hearing.

If players are doing this to themselves in search of an advantage and in turn damaging their hearing, then it might be worth discussing whether a solution is necessary to protect players from themselves. The audibility of footsteps seems like it may be key since it is what is prompting people to crank up their volume in the first place. Perhaps, instead of a gradual drop-off towards insudibility, there should be a more abrupt point where the quiet sounds stop being registered. Remove the incentive to blast your eardrums to hear the mouse fart three blocks away because mouse farts aren't played at all at that range anymore.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Or, maybe hearing footsteps isn't meant to be the baseline for what your volume is set for?

I'm sick of games where footsteps are a loud *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*.

I mean that's the argument the guy is making right there. That it's bluehole's responsibility to equalize the sound to some extent so that there isn't such a wide gap between the low and high end. That you shouldn't have to put yourself at a disadvantage to save your hearing. That the volume shouldn't spike so significantly, even at lower levels, to cause damage.

Whether you like it or not (I actually agree, I don't like foot steps being such an emphasis) footsteps are a mechanic of the game. It's also not limited to foot steps as hearing faint vehicles, reloads, or even distant gunshots all plays a part. I play at something like 70% volume, primarily to hear mumble over the game. I often don't hear things my squad mates do and my hearing in general is pretty shit. In general I keep the volume low on everything I do because I just don't like loud things.

I don't have a strong issue with the sound in PUBG but the guy seems to have done his homework, and there's a significant amount of responses by people backing him up, so I believe it. I just posted the link in case anyone actually cares about their hearing health. I'm honestly a bit surprised by the responses.

Erlkönig you are just going off a little bit too much misinfomation for me to even want to address. PUBG is not based off arma and the sound mix of arma isn't causing anyone hearing damage that I'm aware of. It's also got the aforementioned mechanic of ear plugs.

I think a lot of you are misunderstanding the point that it isn't about volume levels on your end, it's an argument that Bluehole should have a responsibility to have a sound system without such serious difference in levels. This is a part of game design.

I don't think I'll be responding any more, this is taking a strange turn and I think I've made my stance clear.
    I agree with this. People are responsible for their own safety, but producers of a product are responsible for creating a safe product.

The very wide gap in the amplitude of sounds and the importance of hearing the quietest sounds opens up the potential for an ignorant user to hurt themselves in an attempt to gain an advantage.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    My solution would be to increase the volume of footsteps, but decrease the distance that the sound of footsteps travel. So you're only going to hear the sound of someone right next to you.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Erlkönig you are just going off a little bit too much misinfomation for me to even want to address. PUBG is not based off arma and the sound mix of arma isn't causing anyone hearing damage that I'm aware of. It's also got the aforementioned mechanic of ear plugs.

I think a lot of you are misunderstanding the point that it isn't about volume levels on your end, it's an argument that Bluehole should have a responsibility to have a sound system without such serious difference in levels. This is a part of game design.

I don't think I'll be responding any more, this is taking a strange turn and I think I've made my stance clear.

Sorry for responding to this after you've decided to take a break from the thread, @Ash of Yew, but I also feel I wasn't as clear as I could have been and to address the "misinformation" bit.

For the misinformation, I was working on old/outdated info that the game started life as an Arma mod (my confusion of misinterpreting the PUBG devs starting out with making an Arma2 BR mod as being that PUBG started as an Arma mod).

Now, to clarify my points. thing I am not saying: real life sounds cause physical damage to people's hearing, therefore PUBG sounds of those same physically damaging things should actually physically harm the players.

Thing that I am saying: real life sounds cause physical damage to people's hearing because they are real fucking loud...therefore, PUBG sounds should be louder than non-loud things (such as footsteps). And that the differences in loudness between footsteps (whisper quiet) and gunshots (explosion happening inches from your ear) are appropriate in the context of the game. That people can injure themselves by trying to emphasize the quietest sounds in the game without considering the trade-off on the opposite end of the spectrum isn't, I don't consider, an aspect that the devs should address by normalizing volumes in the ways the Reddit OP is suggesting.

As soon as he mentions "I can play other games at a comfortable level and things never get too loud or quiet" is a dead giveaway, to me, that PUBG got it (mostly) right. Gunfire is violently loud and is ridiculously muted in most other games that I've played (to the detriment of my overall enjoyment of playing those other games), and that, in the end, the sound design is one of the main reasons why I prefer PUBG over the other BR options (and most FPS, in general) out there.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    There isn't a single arma game that includes hearing protection as a standard feature without mods. FWIW Arma's gunfire feels quieter than PUBG's.

In other games with pretty loud gunfire (Squad comes to mind) there tends to be less emphasis on smaller sounds and the soundscape is designed such that you're not supposed to hear non gunfire/vehicle sounds during a firefight. It 'deafens' you only if you're turning up your volume to try and hear other sound effects above the gunfire.

Which is probably how it's designed to work in PUBG but their sound engine is all kinds of weird and the games more focused on smaller skirmishes where bullets aren't constantly flying so the temptation to turn up your sound to hear footsteps is much larger.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    There isn't a single arma game that includes hearing protection as a standard feature without mods. FWIW Arma's gunfire feels quieter than PUBG's.

In other games with pretty loud gunfire (Squad comes to mind) there tends to be less emphasis on smaller sounds and the soundscape is designed such that you're not supposed to hear non gunfire/vehicle sounds during a firefight. It 'deafens' you only if you're turning up your volume to try and hear other sound effects above the gunfire.

Which is probably how it's designed to work in PUBG but their sound engine is all kinds of weird and the games more focused on smaller skirmishes where bullets aren't constantly flying so the temptation to turn up your sound to hear footsteps is much larger.

Looks like they were added in with the official Arma3 Helicopters DLC.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    That feel when you run out of space with a level two backpack.

AE9Zpmt.jpg?1

Kelor on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    A program that limits the max sound could be quite useful if anyone has any suggestions.

I tend to have my sound quite low (and completely off in some games like D2) so if I can artificially limit the max volume for individual sounds I might be able to turn it up high enough hear foot steps.

Also that means I could probably hear people if teammates are talking to me when that cargo plane flyes overhead, since I mute my sound when that happens for a couple of seconds.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    A program that limits the max sound could be quite useful if anyone has any suggestions.

I tend to have my sound quite low (and completely off in some games like D2) so if I can artificially limit the max volume for individual sounds I might be able to turn it up high enough hear foot steps.

Also that means I could probably hear people if teammates are talking to me when that cargo plane flyes overhead, since I mute my sound when that happens for a couple of seconds.

The reddit thread mentioned at the start of this line of discussion mentioned the "SoundLock" application, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

This appears to be the program in question:
    https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

The reddit thread mentioned at the start of this line of discussion mentioned the "SoundLock" application, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

This appears to be the program in question:
    https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

Ah, for some reason I read that as a sound lock application in concept and not a reference to a specific program.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Met a hacker I think. They were shooting an M16 like a machine gun with laser precision at everyone, while standing in the open like they were god. Eventually I think I spotted them running faster than possible, so I recorded it and made a proper report on the forums. But, I also killed them and swore badly at them in Chinese. Which felt good.

I think they might have deliberately only knocked people in order to stay below the anti-hacker radar. They weren't trying to kill knocked people. They also ran right up to me and I was able to kill them with a Saiga. I wonder if that was also deliberate. If I was farming points to get crates, doing it with as little kills as possible and no chicken dinner might be a tactic. Or maybe I'm just over thinking it and they were just a bad player using hacks.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Met a hacker I think. They were shooting an M16 like a machine gun with laser precision at everyone, while standing in the open like they were god. Eventually I think I spotted them running faster than possible, so I recorded it and made a proper report on the forums. But, I also killed them and swore badly at them in Chinese. Which felt good.

I think they might have deliberately only knocked people in order to stay below the anti-hacker radar. They weren't trying to kill knocked people. They also ran right up to me and I was able to kill them with a Saiga. I wonder if that was also deliberate. If I was farming points to get crates, doing it with as little kills as possible and no chicken dinner might be a tactic. Or maybe I'm just over thinking it and they were just a bad player using hacks.

The video of the aim hack I've seen doesn't target downed people. But staying under the radar could be why they choose not to and go into team games.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yes, most aim botters are in duos and squads so as to avoid reports by only downing people and not killing.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    We did a thing!
    faxjc0uojgxl.jpg
    rbt9i7bdafy6.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Does anyone else absolutely refuse to run barefoot? I get that it's a bit quieter on most surfaces, but damn it's one of those details that just absolutely grates against my sense of immersion. Running around barefoot in a combat zone? Realistically that wouldn't be an advantage, it'd be a liability and you're likely gash your foot open and incapacitate yourself.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Running over glass and rocks should drain your health.

Also this is the proper way to play
    https://youtu.be/6DoGREDZMqs

TheStig on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    People leaving on rain/fog maps is getting out of control.

B3cT0l3.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2017
    That's a thing!?!?

Rain and fog are the best though!!!

I'm getting horrible flashbacks now to all the horrible people who who vote for changing the weather in STALKER multi-player from night time heavy thunderstorm to noontime clear skies.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I'll accept the excuse that rain and fog are bad for people with not-so-good pcs, but rain and fog are 100% the best.

Fog is spooky. Rain covers footsteps.

Also, for some reason, it seems like I get more suppressors on fog maps.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ooooh give us a full on night mode.

Night fog? Night rain?! Foggy rain???? Give them to meeeee

I'm really happy with any weather effects that change how you approach the game and what you can see. Fog and rain are great additions.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Ooooh give us a full on night mode.

Night fog? Night rain?! Foggy rain???? Give them to meeeee

I'm really happy with any weather effects that change how you approach the game and what you can see. Fog and rain are great additions.

Maybe nighttime with a harvest moon...but I really can't see night rain/fog without the addition of NV goggles/sights. Fog works in the daytime because you can still see silhouettes. Nighttime would just be fighting blind (houses with knocked over lamps would be death traps...muzzle flashes and lightning would become the main sources of illumination/finding baddies)...and if you think people abandoning fog/rain maps is a thing now, the night-fog-rain map would be deserted immediately.

• Options
    A "movie night" or "blue for night" mode would be good. Not actually that dark but stuff like muzzle flashes and vehicle headlights would become a major thing (and there's the upcoming flaregun weapon). A night mode would be incredible.

However, I think NV goggles would be a "must add" that I would rather they didn't add at all. Because I could see then getting into the hands of hackers more often than actual players. Apparently hackers currently have a method of looting crate drops before they've landed. But there's good NV in games and bad NV in games, maybe they'd get it right. It could always replace your head slot, so if you go with NV you lose the option of a helmet.

• Options
    A "movie night" or "blue for night" mode would be good. Not actually that dark but stuff like muzzle flashes and vehicle headlights would become a major thing (and there's the upcoming flaregun weapon). A night mode would be incredible.

However, I think NV goggles would be a "must add" that I would rather they didn't add at all. Because I could see then getting into the hands of hackers more often than actual players. Apparently hackers currently have a method of looting crate drops before they've landed. But there's good NV in games and bad NV in games, maybe they'd get it right. It could always replace your head slot, so if you go with NV you lose the option of a helmet.

Or just limit it to NV scopes so you have to ADS to get NV (narrower FoV, slower movement...the downside is that would promote even more camping).

• Options
    That is not a bad idea!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    OK hear me out.

Night mode, except the map gets illuminated by those mortar launched illumination flares. Just periodically spawn them across the map and have them wink out as they float down.

There would be no need to introduce campy gear like night vision since illumination comes from the environment. The landscape would alternate between inky low visibility, brilliant near day luminance near the center of the flare's glow, and a drop off of light as you approach the periphery of the flare's reach. The contrast between the two lighting extremes would also completely fuck with anyone who tries to cheat the system by just tweaking their monitor's gamma settings.

I'm excited just thinking about it. Throw in monsoon rain and lightning flashes to give you that tantalizing tenth of a second glimpse of hostiles that you were unaware of and I'd be in heaven. Plus of course the potential of trying to use the thunder to mask your rifle's report. Where can I throw my money?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OK here me out.

Night mode, except the map gets illuminated by those mortar launched illumination flares. Just periodically spawn them across the map and have them wink out as they float down.

There would be no need to introduce campy gear like night vision since illumination comes from the environment. The landscape would alternate between inky low visibility and brilliant near day luminance. The contrast between the two lighting settings would also completely fuck with anyone who tries to game the system by just tweaking their monitor's gamma settings.

So....basically flares floating down like supply drops? Could also have red zones cause moments of illumination in the immediate vicinity of the explosions.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Just have the plane do this a few times while it flies over.

276s6hrsgk7a.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Those are different types of flares. Those are countermeasures meant to throw off heat seekers.

These flares burn longer. They can be air dropped, but they can also be deployed by mortars or artillery.

r8lr6isgdo8q.jpeg

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus

I've had 3 games today with people obviously hacking. One guy downing my whole squad with an m249 from 300 yards, every shot hit. Another was a K98 headshotting from 300 yards first shot on our whole squad. Another one in the same game hitting every shot from a M4 from 100 yards before even seeing where I was.

I have video but it almost seems pointless to report. There must be some new hacks out today or recently. Gonna be stopping this game for a while.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm dedicating myself to doing a full report on the forum for every instance. It's a hassle. But at least it's a hassle for the devs too.

One of the people I've reported might have been banned? I don't think so though, because it is an unlisted video with 0 views.

As I have said before, it's not the hacks that take the fun out of the game for me, it's how they delegitimize all the legit deaths. I cannot wait until death cam is in the proper version, as that would clear up a lot of the doubts I have. Just tonight, I faced two squads that were shooting at us but not at each other. Maybe they were teaming, maybe they didn't see each other. If I had their perspective I'd know.

I also can't wait for game replays. I think, so long as the forum mods can keep up with the reports, it'll put a real dent in most hacks.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I've never seen a 100% for sure hacker in any of my games, but there's definitely been a few wtffff moments where people seem to be using some sort of telepathy to spot you and whatnot. Kill cams will definitely clear those up. I wonder if the devs will gain access to the cams, would make banning legit hackers much easier if so.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just killed myself in an incredibly stupid way. I was trying to see if I could throw grenades out through a tiny bathroom window and didn't realize that I had run out of stun grenades. I threw a frag, which I failed to get out through the window and killed myself from full health.

Best part is that earlier in the same game someone else had blown themselves up while trying to get me.

• Options
    Started queueing solo into squads to work on my team fighting skills.

https://youtu.be/J8VQ3lG-ucA

Sound didn't capture :(

• Options
    Some cool new weapons coming to the new map.

Lever action rifle. Cool.
    Double barrel sawn off shotgun (with incendiary rounds) that goes in the pistol slot. Maybe too cool.
    Rhino revolver. I don't like it. Cool. But I would prefer a more retro gun like a Colt SAA.

• Options
    I presume the Lever action is chambered in .45? We need more quality weapons that eat that ammo. The 1911 is a good handgun, but handguns are ultra-early game or desperation weapons. The thompson is an alright bullet hose, but it's a bit rare and not my style. The Vector is good, but it's also kinda rare and you REALLY need that extended magazine to make it shine.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    We can post our own videos in here right? I think it's technically against the rules but whatever

I saw this done by someone else and thought I'd give it a go. It's super effective!

Then I saw some teamers pull up at farm and I deliberately got myself killed so I had their name.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Those are different types of flares. Those are countermeasures meant to throw off heat seekers.

These flares burn longer. They can be air dropped, but they can also be deployed by mortars or artillery.

r8lr6isgdo8q.jpeg

And they have the added benefit of when popping in mid-air the canister keeps going and can damage roofs and cars and people :)

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    We can post our own videos in here right? I think it's technically against the rules but whatever

I saw this done by someone else and thought I'd give it a go. It's super effective!

Then I saw some teamers pull up at farm and I deliberately got myself killed so I had their name.

You can post your own video as far as I know.

• Options
    Posting to promote your site or for anything that could be remotely considered marketing is absolutely not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to;
    Your hilarious youtube video
    tbf, it's not that hilarious

• Options
    I believe that is referring to videos with the intent to promote a channel or site, not just your random game play clips.