As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PUBG] Now On Mobile: Chicken Dinner On The Go!!!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Looks like they unfucked the Australian servers for those of you out there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/9kyv24/oce_looks_like_oce_is_back/

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I gave it a go last night. First game was 170 ping (SEA) but the next 4 were 40 ping (OC!!!!).

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    The soft region lock stuff doesn't seem to have much effect, our games were full of asian players still.

I'm pretty sure that you can still play other regions if you're using a VPN, which most Chinese players use anyway to get past the great firewall.

I'd say it's better but still not good. There's been no reduction in hackers either, there's possibly even an increase. I was killed by a hacker, my friend killed the hacker (caught them while they were switching weapons) and then two other hackers won the round.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you can still play other regions if you're using a VPN, which most Chinese players use anyway to get past the great firewall.

I'd say it's better but still not good. There's been no reduction in hackers either, there's possibly even an increase. I was killed by a hacker, my friend killed the hacker (caught them while they were switching weapons) and then two other hackers won the round.

Ran into a weird hacker situation last week, where the guy would only hit everybody twice or so.

Not enough to down/kill them, just damage them a bit, but doing it to everybody.

I'm guessing it was to farm points via damage, but not get reported since doing so without being killed it a big hassle.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »

Ran into a weird hacker situation last week, where the guy would only hit everybody twice or so.

Not enough to down/kill them, just damage them a bit, but doing it to everybody.

I'm guessing it was to farm points via damage, but not get reported since doing so without being killed it a big hassle.

Lol, amazing.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    My friends ran into a hacker a couple of days ago. They did the report thing and yesturday they got a ingame popup in the lobby saying that player X had been banned permanently. Nice to get feedback on reports.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It shouldn't help them.

Ping is between client and the server, so just because the IP address on your VPN pings better than your own personal IP, when the client pings to the services it still needs to travel that distance.

Ping is a terrible metric though because they've probably got enough leeway where a 175 ping will connect and that's not necessarily outlandish to China. Japan to the Midwest can do about that on average.

They should use the average ping time of the server to the rest of the clients as well as the roundtrip ping time. So if everyone on the server has a 20-60 ping and you show up with an almost 200 ping, sorry no go.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I still get 300 ping on occasion if I get connected to a bad AS server. It's probably something like 1 in 12 games? And 200 is about 1 in 2 or 1 in 4 games.

I took a break from PUBG (mostly playing DayZ actually) and I am now complete garbage at it. I thought I was going to have the opposite problem, of finding it really difficult to get back into DayZ but nope.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Seem worth mentioning to anyone who has been playing that the last patch seems to have fixed desync in most cases. Much less whinging on the various subreddits about being shot while in cover or before they came around a corner.

8R7BtLw.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Goddammit, I cracked and bought an outfit on the mobile version of PUBG. One of their "one-off" (I think) special outfits that had shown up very shortly after I downloaded the game a couple of months ago, whenever it was, and I passed on it because as you'd expect they're stupid money, but it stuck in the memory. So when it showed up at half-price on their Black Friday sale (I can't believe in-app stores have their own flippin' Black Friday sales, but 2018 and all that)... yeah, I caved and bought it. About nine quid.

Still, it's the only thing I've needed to pay for at all in the game (it's way more generous at giving you stuff than the "home" versions), so I'm looking at it as "I would have paid this much for the game given how much fun I've had with it". I still think it's my favourite version of the game, unbelievably.

Mobile finals thing livestream:

https://youtu.be/aL6BBptK_dw

The size of the arena this is coming from is mind-boggling.

No offense to anyone who's into this stuff, but are we seriously watching people play games on their phones now???

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The thing that's weird to me is that it's the mobile version. Is it that much better/more stable than the PC version?

Edit: Well, I guess it is sponsored by Samsung. Specifically a Samsung phone, so I guess that makes sense.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    For those who haven't been paying attention, it is widely rumored that the snow map will debut at the Game Awards in two days on the 6th

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    No offense to anyone who's into this stuff, but are we seriously watching people play games on their phones now???

It's weird, isn't it. I just had it on long enough to see that the location they were having this event was ludicrous. This thing was remarkably big.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    The thing that's weird to me is that it's the mobile version. Is it that much better/more stable than the PC version?

Edit: Well, I guess it is sponsored by Samsung. Specifically a Samsung phone, so I guess that makes sense.

It's a lot less janky, that's for sure. It has a fair bit of F2P guff but it's all just cosmetic, but it's way, way more polished than the PC version or the Xbox version. It actually feels like a finished game.

edited December 2018
    Google Play has named PUBG its best game of 2018. It got User's Choice too, and (rather obviously) Most Competitive.

Jazz on
    Well it's still the worst in my books. Just had a game where I was repeatedly teleporting out from cover and died to a guy shooting me from behind a closed door. From my perspective the door was closed, from his it was open.

And they killed All chat. Not just in lobby, which is a fairly good thing (though I love the terrible voice spam) but in the game too. It works, but you have to reset your settings every single round otherwise you are defaulted to None chat (even though it is set to All in options).

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Test servers will be out tomorrow on the 7th and live on Dec 19th

Will most likely contain Vikendi, the snow map

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Ive been playing the PS4 Pro version and it runs pretty smooth. If anyone wants to squad up feel free to add me on PSN, Zavian2099

The snow map actually looks pretty good! Looking forward to it.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    New map is pretty great. Been playing it on the test server. Definitely the best looking map so far and the size feels just right. Not too big, not too small.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Alright Public G, credit where it's due. The console version is actually a playable game now, nice. Well, the PS4 Pro version is playable, unsure about the standard XBone version, but I hope it plays like the Pro version for those folks who had to suffer through that abysmal launch. Nice change of pace from the turbo build wizards in Fortnite, and the super OP body armor in Blackout. I play this one way more aggressively than either of those other two games too. Since I know they can't build a giant skyscraper in seconds and my bullets wont harmlessly bounce off their armor, I actively head towards the sounds of gunfire instead of hiding for huge chunks of time.

They try to give my character clothes to wear, but I ain't having it. We go in naked, and loot what we need like true warriors, dammit! Killed a guy and got some sweet bellbottoms and a gas-mask.

Game could use some QoL improvements seen in the other BR games though. Both PUBG and Blackout need to ape Fortnite's map marker beacon. THat big pillar of light shooting up from the ground is really helpful when dropping in. PUBG also needs to ape Blackout's streamlined attachment equip function. If the attachment is compatible, I should just be able to hold the button to equip it instead of opening the inventory.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Man, I came to post the opposite. Even playing this on a Pro there's something about the frame rate in this thing that almost makes me sick.

Agreed on the QoL stuff though.

Console is locked at 30fps I believe. I've never really been a FPS guy. Like, I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames, but it's never really bothered me one way or the other. I did notice some pretty hefty fps dips when the plane loads in, and while dropping. Outside of that, though, I didn't really notice anything awful while playing.

I'm not sure the pillar beacon fits with PUBG. It also potentially lets you visually mark in the game world, which was something they tried but it really undermines the player skill and communication aspect of calling out enemies.

Well, I'd be ok with something that only works once, and only prior to dropping from the plane. Eyeballing it and kind of hoping I land where I wanted is sorta lame. Especially on console (maybe PC too, I dunno) where the buildings and map details don't load until halfway through your skydive.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    There's a world of difference between highlighting an enemy in particular and highlighting an area on the map.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited December 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Well, I'd be ok with something that only works once, and only prior to dropping from the plane. Eyeballing it and kind of hoping I land where I wanted is sorta lame. Especially on console (maybe PC too, I dunno) where the buildings and map details don't load until halfway through your skydive.

Try just aiming yourself on the map itself, that is what I generally do. Then fine tune the actual landing.

Sorry I've never played console so I'm not sure if it's drastically different.

Ash of Yew on
    The only big difference on console (standard Xbox One here, fyi) is the length of time it takes for detail like any buildings at all popping in to existence. It literally can be halfway through the skydive, making it trickier to pinpoint. Not impossible, of course. Otherwise it's identical.

edited December 2018
    The new map is radical and I recommend playing it.

I, however, do not recommend looking at the in game store page.

Ash of Yew on
    You should at least look at it to purchase the beard with BP.

The new map looks great but the fights haven't been great for us. Too quick. Either we die too quick or the enemy dies too quick.

Yeah I'm enjoying the look of it a lot, but I am just dying all over the place. I think it's just because I'm bad at solo though, I'm usually a squad player.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    New parachuting seems really nice, gonna take a few goes to used to mind.

edited December 2018
    https://youtu.be/r-bv6HfIats

I'm glad wave jumping is no longer significantly faster than any other method.

TheStig on
    edited December 2018
    The new map looks great but the fights haven't been great for us. Too quick. Either we die too quick or the enemy dies too quick.

I've had some fights like that, but with the lvl 3 helmets back in regular spawns and increased lvl 3 armor spawns and seemingly endless supply of meds, it's a bit of a toss up. If you get all that stuff, fights get (possibly over) drawn out, but of course if you get really bad luck (which has happened) and encounter a squad like that, you're pretty fucked.

Ash of Yew on
    edited December 2018
    I'm trying to figure out if it is being caused by the map or the changes to the movement. But I haven't been able ot play much of the older maps as Vikendi is quite popular. Certainly I think that Vikendi's sparse tree layout lends itself to being caught in the open. It's not bad, I like the contrast of the open ground and dense buildings, but I don't want to play it all the time.

The changes to movement feel great, but it might be one of those double edged swords where your enemies can also move and react faster.

Gvzbgul on
    edited December 2018
    The best change of this patch is of course the parachute overhaul, but more specifically the "cut parachute" button actually does something.

Though the old shitty system did give us this gem:

https://youtu.be/SFrqi97CwQw

TheStig on