As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Yeah, some of my favorite Youtubers have enough Patreon support to keep going, but I predict a mass exodus for the others soon. Pretty much all of them have posted videos to the effect that they cannot afford to dedicate the time and effort to posting YouTube content anymore.

When "Glove & Boots" quit I knew we were at the breaking point. This recent scandal was the final blow. All that's left is to watch YouTube bleed out. I don't even think YouTube Gaming is going to survive.

Well I assume all the gaming content will move to twitch.

This is what some of the YouTube channels (H3H3) I watch have done even if YouTube ended up not being their primary revenue stream before adpocalypse. The couple that haven't (RMRS, Gentlemen's Gazette), YouTube wasn't their primary revenue stream at any time anyway. Some others have been able to break out into doing what they actually want to do any way and are great at it (Joji Miller for example).

One of the other channels I like which was previously mentioned, Idubbbztv, I don't see a way forward in his current format outside of YouTube.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It’s amazing the class system YouTube established while they try to act like a place for everyone. Promote shitty vine “comedians” and vloggers and have trending from boring late night hosts that clearly pay to be on the front page, and ignore and often punish the actual lifeblood of your website. Yes, promote shit like Collider videos or Chris Stuckman but never idubbz or RLM or Your Movie Sucks, stuff that repeatedly gets high views with little to no promotion from YouTube. Yet their kids app is filled with vile shit abusing the algorithm and getting monetized because of course Elsa drinking pee is kids appropriate

but it’s ok see, Susan Wojciki has her own channel now and had the kewl kids like famous YouTuber the Rock give her advice. Truly she gets what makes YouTube tick.

I was watching some fun halloween videos with my kid a few weeks ago when a "next up" one came on. It was the same video, same music, but with the animals that were moving around the screen being all bloodied and with their entrails hanging out and..

Ugggh. My daughter asks for Youtube all the time because there are some legitimately great videos for kids on there, but I've had to hide the app on the TV.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Anyone else think the Sprawl should be a tv show? Start with the Neuromancer trilogy, and add in various side stories (like Johnny Mnemonic and Burning Chrome) and additional new stories in the setting?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It’s amazing the class system YouTube established while they try to act like a place for everyone. Promote shitty vine “comedians” and vloggers and have trending from boring late night hosts that clearly pay to be on the front page, and ignore and often punish the actual lifeblood of your website. Yes, promote shit like Collider videos or Chris Stuckman but never idubbz or RLM or Your Movie Sucks, stuff that repeatedly gets high views with little to no promotion from YouTube. Yet their kids app is filled with vile shit abusing the algorithm and getting monetized because of course Elsa drinking pee is kids appropriate

but it’s ok see, Susan Wojciki has her own channel now and had the kewl kids like famous YouTuber the Rock give her advice. Truly she gets what makes YouTube tick.

One of the most successful youtube networks exists because of "Shitty vloggers". And one of them runs the annual online video/Youtube convention. And he also created a Youtuber merch infrastructure, and founded the first site specifically made to let people support YouTubers in return for increased access and rewards.
    "Shitty vloggers" can get a lot done.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Have you guys been following the YouTube Adpocalypse? The short version is that advertisers are leaving YouTube in droves citing inappropriate content being associated with their brand. In response YouTube has turned their demonization bots up to 11 effectively ending many YouTubers primary source of revenue.

Well just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, some of that last big advertisers left are pulling out over videos of inappropriately clothed young girls filled with comments about what you would expect. YouTube has reacted by bot controlled demonetizing of basically everything. The only people making money are the few channels with a direct line to YouTube executives or a thriving donation community.

A lot of the donation supported community has started uploading to other platforms already. It's only a matter of time before that whole site implodes and ends up like Myspace. YouTube sealed it's fate by doubling down on bots to police their community instead of people. From what I've read, there are only a few dozen actual moderators for the entire site. Given the size and scope of YouTube they would need hundreds if not thousands of real people going through everything to keep out the worst offenders.

Since that's not gonna happen and we are clearly past the point where it would matter even if they did hire them overnight,

RIP YouTube

One of my roommates spends roughly 20 hours a week watching youtube videos on my 70" tv and probably another 20 passed out in front of them

If only fireworks were legal year round here

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Youtube is the second most visited website in the world, I think they can weather some content creators leaving.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Youtube is the second most visited website in the world, I think they can weather some content creators leaving.

Sure they can, but how long can they weather them leaving for new competition and also be sustained when the next big thing is potentially never engaging with them at all. No media empire is too big to never crumble under its own weight.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

You used to be able to say the same thing about Myspace. It's funny how you can be one of the big guys right until you aren't.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

One of the most successful youtube networks exists because of "Shitty vloggers". And one of them runs the annual online video/Youtube convention. And he also created a Youtuber merch infrastructure, and founded the first site specifically made to let people support YouTubers in return for increased access and rewards.
    "Shitty vloggers" can get a lot done.

Something something but the trains ran on time.

You're not wrong, but there's a problem with YouTube's business if it depends on people like PewDiePie.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Vlog Brothers wouldn’t be the shitty vloggers I’m talking about, since they actually do stuff beyond daily vlogs of going to eat food or get coffee like Jake Paul or Lance Stewart.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

You used to be able to say the same thing about Myspace. It's funny how you can be one of the big guys right until you aren't.

Myspace went away because Facebook came around.

Where are people going to go from Youtube? Honest question.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Also Facebook?

I mean, isn't video hosting something that would be a natural progression for them?

• Options

Everyone so far has tried to make a "YouTube killer" by copying YouTube, and it doesn't work well. They need to actually fix the problems with YouTube if they're going to compete with them.
    Content creators need access to people in the company for dispute resolution, fair access to monetization, monetization for videos shared on other sites, and the ability to moderate their community.
    Twitch is killing it in terms of this, but they're not set up to deal with YouTube's video style.
    However the companies that do try to compete with YouTube don't really try to improve on the four things above and instead mostly focus on offering tricky monetization schemes.

So right now, the answer is mostly, nowhere. However many content different kinds of creators made a leap to mostly relying on Twitch and Patreon money some time ago, and posting YouTube videos as a trinary revenue stream.

• Options

http://vid.me is currently the best alternative on the market. A growing number of YouTubers are mirroring their channels there these days.

• Options

Everyone so far has tried to make a "YouTube killer" by copying YouTube, and it doesn't work well. They need to actually fix the problems with YouTube if they're going to compete with them.
    Content creators need access to people in the company for dispute resolution, fair access to monetization, monetization for videos shared on other sites, and the ability to moderate their community.
    Twitch is killing it in terms of this, but they're not set up to deal with YouTube's video style.
    However the companies that do try to compete with YouTube don't really try to improve on the four things above and instead mostly focus on offering tricky monetization schemes.

So right now, the answer is mostly, nowhere. However many content different kinds of creators made a leap to mostly relying on Twitch and Patreon money some time ago, and posting YouTube videos as a trinary revenue stream.

That won't stay the same forever.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Eh, it might.

The answer to Youtube ad revenue not being able to support people making content on Youtube may well be, rather then moving to another site, simply using Youtube as a place to post videos and then using something like Patreon to make their money.

This already seems to be a popular setup.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Eh, it might.

The answer to Youtube ad revenue not being able to support people making content on Youtube may well be, rather then moving to another site, simply using Youtube as a place to post videos and then using something like Patreon to make their money.

Yeah, it might but nothing's guaranteed.

• Options
    Eh, it might.

Patreon really only works for the largest channels. Small channels with under 1k subs have been hit the hardest by this. They generally don't have large enough communities for Patreon to make any difference and without ad revenue, making the jump to the big times is going to be nearly impossible.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    So, Godless is pretty damn good.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Eh, it might.

Patreon really only works for the largest channels. Small channels with under 1k subs have been hit the hardest by this. They generally don't have large enough communities for Patreon to make any difference and without ad revenue, making the jump to the big times is going to be nearly impossible.

I've heard the exact opposite from creators. There's more money in Patreon than in YouTube at any scale. Only a fraction of people who watch your content will support you on Patreon, but even if 1/10th of them give you $1 a month it's more than you would get from YouTube ad revenue. And some of them are willing to give you more than $1 if you offer something good or an interesting goal.
    LoadinReadyRun did a breakdown on one of their videos being turned into a gif and going viral, and part of that calculation was that 24,000 in additional views netted them about $6 in revenue from YouTube. 6 people joining their Patreon would be about the same as 24,000 more people seeing their video.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you have a hundred viewers of your videos. 10 are super dedicated, 50 are interested, and 40 are slightly interested, then getting 50 c a month from your best customers and 10 c a month from the next bracket is still $10 a month. Thats way more than advertising could ever be. And that scale will be true at every level but the very very largest, where people who care a lot might decide you are "Too rich anyway" and stop paying.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Twitch subs and now the new bits to donate are helpful in same principle to smaller audiences

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Just finished it up
    The slaughter of Blackton, whitey going out the way he does, and the brutal defense of La Belle were way more gut punches than I was expecting.
    Real good western, though.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Just finished it up
    The slaughter of Blackton, whitey going out the way he does, and the brutal defense of La Belle were way more gut punches than I was expecting.

It was a lot more of a spaghetti western than I initially thought.

In regards to your spoilers
    yeah, they didn't pull any punches in some regards. Whitey going out like that was horrible

Favorite character in the show might be the german woman - pure badass.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Just finished it up

It was a lot more of a spaghetti western than I initially thought.

In regards to your spoilers
    yeah, they didn't pull any punches in some regards. Whitey going out like that was horrible

Favorite character in the show might be the german woman - pure badass.

Do you think we'll get a second season? I would like to see the ladies kick some more ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    This is not a drill-

Howard the Duck has been added some (some) Euro Netflix regions.

(Along with some other, less important stuff like The Thing, Cool Hand Luke, Inglourious Basterds, American Graffiti and Tron)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    The Umbrella Academy is getting a tv series? How are they going to do that? Stellar cast, though. Didn't know Ellen Page had signed on.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-umbrella-academy-tom-hopper-emmy-raver-lampman-robert-sheehan-cast-1202217536/
    Netflix has rounded out the family for The Umbrella Academy, a live-action series based on the popular graphic novels by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and illustrated by Gabriel Bá. Joining Ellen Page are Tom Hopper (Game of Thrones), Emmy Raver-Lampman (Hamilton), David Castañeda (We Are Unsatistifed), Robert Sheehan (Genius) and Aidan Gallagher (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn).

The story follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes known as the Umbrella Academy — Luther (Hopper), Diego (Castañeda), Allison (Raver-Lampman), Vanya (Page), Klaus (Sheehan) and Number Five (Gallagher) — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

Detailed character descriptions below:

Luther (Hopper) was groomed by his father from an early age to be the leader of The Umbrella Academy – a responsibility that has always weighed heavily on him. He is resilient, a workaholic, and possesses the ability of heightened physical strength. Upstanding to a fault, Luther always tries to do the right thing, even if that means putting others before himself.

Allison (Raver-Lampman) is beautiful, elegant, and a formerly world-famous movie star who possesses the power of suggestion – anything she says aloud comes to pass. Her life seems perfect from the outside, but her ability has undermined every relationship she’s ever had. With her career on the decline and her marriage in shambles, she refuses to use her power as she seeks a more authentic life.

Diego (Castaneda) is a skilled, intense vigilante who has a real problem with authority. He isn’t as naturally strong or smart as his siblings, so he’s worked three times as hard for everything. Believing he should have been the leader of his family instead of his brother, he carries a massive chip on his shoulder that makes him hostile to just about everyone.

Number Five (Gallagher) appears to be a thirteen year old boy, but in actuality he is a fifty-eight-year-old man trapped in the body of a child. He doesn’t suffer fools and is the smartest person in the room. He’s haunted by the things he’s seen and done, and is on the verge of losing his grip on reality.

Klaus (Sheehan) is a drug addict and lovable mess of a human being and yet, if you ask him, any day now his life is going to turn around. He’s a classic “middle child” – a disarming pleaser who is seemingly everyone’s friend, but will rob you blind without thinking twice.

Meanwhile, American Gods lost Bryan Fuller. What's going on, Bryan?

http://www.slashfilm.com/american-gods-season-2-loses-showrunners-bryan-fuller-and-michael-green/
    Some breaking, disappointing news: American Gods showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green are departing the Starz series before season 2 begins. While Fuller and Green have already written most of the scripts for the second season, they are departing the series after clashing with production subsidiary FremantleMedia over budget and creative differences.

• Options
    Sabrina's getting a spin-off show on Netflix.

https://www.cbr.com/sabrina-moves-to-netflix-2-season-order/
    The Riverdale universe is getting a little bigger, and a little bit more magical, though it’s no longer confined to a single network. The CW has revealed that the spinoff series focused on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch has been picked up for two seasons, but instead of being on The CW alongside Archie Andrews and his pals, her show will be a Netflix Original Series. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who serves as showrunner for Sabrina‘s predecessor, will write the pilot for the new show.

• Options
    If at least one episode doesn't have MJH in it, I'm gonna be disappointed.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I had no idea Sabrina the Teenage Witch was from the Archie comics.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So I've been watching Downton Abbey finally. I'm just into season three. No one is ever allowed to be happy on this show, are they?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    So I've been watching Downton Abbey finally. I'm just into season three. No one is ever allowed to be happy on this show, are they?

That would be the structure of a lot of TV dramas, yes.

I find it grating to be honest.

• Options
    Taranis wrote: »

I only found out when they did Afterlife with Archie.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

I probably would've read Archie comics when I was younger if I knew that, because I watched Sabrina all the time when I was young.

--

Does anyone else watch Broad City? My girlfriend and I love that show. The current seasons aren't available on Hulu, but the previous ones are. It's funny, topical, and it has a lot of heart. With every season it gets better. Amy Poehler is even one of the producers so that should tell you something. I highly recommend it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

A Whedon in the UK was secretly the show runner the whole time.

• Options

I probably would've read Archie comics when I was younger if I knew that, because I watched Sabrina all the time when I was young.

--

Does anyone else watch Broad City? My girlfriend and I love that show. The current seasons aren't available on Hulu, but the previous ones are. It's funny, topical, and it has a lot of heart. With every season it gets better. Amy Poehler is even one of the producers so that should tell you something. I highly recommend it.

IIRC Poehler is the show runner, the creators didn't have the political juice to green light with themselves in that position.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Just started watching Dark. 3 episodes in and I can see some similarities with Stranger Things, though the tone and the execution are completely different: Stranger Things is fun and optimistic despite terrible things happening, Dark is .. well... dark and bleak. Anyway, I'm intrigued so far.

Light spoilers for the first three episodes
    I thought it would be a series where you will get to episode 10 and then everything should make sense, but 3 episodes in and it's 100% clear what is going on. It's not clear the "how", the "who" or the "why", but there is 7 episodes left for that.

As for the similarities with Stranger Things I mentioned above; a good part of Dark takes place in the 80s, there is a disappeared child, a large facility in the center of a small town where the local police has no access (but which seems to be connected to things going on.) and so on. No monsters or Upside Down so far, the horror is of a different kind.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Yeah, this is why I stopped watching the Walking Dead.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »

Yeah, this is why I stopped watching the Walking Dead.

And why I miss Parks and Recreation so much, Brooklyn 99 helps tho.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dark is by the same guy that made Whoami, the single german movie I liked in the past 5 years or so!!

Damn. Gotta watch it now

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.