As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I don't even know who you think about playing him. He's so lanky while still being a badass.

Netflix already has a relationship with Lewis Tan. He's got the physique and fighting skills.

But does he have the hair?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I don't even know who you think about playing him. He's so lanky while still being a badass.

hidndh74v4vq.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    emp123 wrote: »

Netflix already has a relationship with Lewis Tan. He's got the physique and fighting skills.

Give him a few months, and he could pull it off.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The more important question is if he's got the right screen presence for the role.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    shryke wrote: »

The more important question is if he's got the right screen presence for the role.

He plays an emotionally stunted character on Into the Badlands, but he was charismatic as hell in his brief appearance on Iron Fist.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

My first thought was John Krasinski, but I doubt a white guy playing Spike would go over well.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

My first thought was John Krasinski, but I doubt a white guy playing Spike would go over well.

Fuuuck that

Christ that guy is overrated

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Maybe they can just get Steve Blum to dub over whoever actually ends up playing Spike.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    “Spike Spiegel” is a pretty white name. I don’t really see an issue with a white guy specifically playing him. There’s not really any cultural baggage to call upon like Iron Fist.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RedTide wrote: »

Fuuuck that

He'll always be Jim to me.

giphy.gif

To think, Jim almost became Captain America!

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    DRAFTS!

Fuuuck that

giphy.gif

As did Scott Porter.

But I'm one of like 10 people on Earth who know or care about that.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Warner Bros. reveals streaming tier system for their stuff which is basically:

-just some old WB movies for the cheapskates, fam
    -original shows and new blockbusters for the cool people, boo
    -like, i dunno, a combination of the other two and things that have "exclusive" and "Warners" in it to round out, shiiiit

And the Warner Media CEO also basically said they're going to basically squeeze Netflix of their library (and Hulu too with TV stuff) to push people to their system, which they think is better which, nah, fuck off, I ain't doing tiers, not classy.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    DRAFTS!

Fuuuck that

giphy.gif

As did Scott Porter.

But I'm one of like 10 people on Earth who know or care about that.

Well guess we lucked out twice.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Street as Captain America wouldn't have been the worst thing!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Fuuuck that

giphy.gif

He is excellent at playing Charismatic Straight Man and decent at more serious roles. He's been at least pretty good in everything I've seen him in.

After Quiet Place, i mostly want to see him direct more stuff, see where that goes.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

-like, i dunno, a combination of the other two and things that have "exclusive" and "Warners" in it to round out, shiiiit

And the Warner Media CEO also basically said they're going to basically squeeze Netflix of their library (and Hulu too with TV stuff) to push people to their system, which they think is better which, nah, fuck off, I ain't doing tiers, not classy.

I'm kind of worried that five years from now, we'll be in a place where you have to subscribe to a dozen different services to be able to watch the bulk of quality programming. We already have netflix, amazon, hulu and hbo.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I want to see how WB acts with HBO since they're a part owner of the channel which is already known for being the classiest queen of all channels. If they try and bogart stuff from HBO you diminish that brand, but if you have it streaming stuff in sync with HBO why would I want the WB service then?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

So a continuation of the shorts they put on the DVD/Blu-ray release for BR2049?

Those were very much my jam

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm kind of worried that five years from now, we'll be in a place where you have to subscribe to a dozen different services to be able to watch the bulk of quality programming. We already have netflix, amazon, hulu and hbo.

I had dropped Hulu but picked it back up when it was in a bundle with Spotify for... not much more than I was paying already for Spotify. But yeah, between Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and Funimation, there's an awful lot of stuff already subscribed to.

Edit: but then that was always the fear, right?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I wonder if we'll get to a point where you start getting package deals.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney and Hulu for $50 per month.

Then the bundlers start having different tiers. $50 for basic, $80 gets you everything.

Then we basically have SuperComcast fighting MegaDirecTV for your media dollars.

This future is scary, I don't like it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Another one bites the dust Daredevil canceled after 3 seasons

Does not bode well for Jessica Jones.

• Options
    almost feels like they're closing up New York production because The Good Cop was also cancelled after one season.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    They're probably not mentioning JJ or punisher because they're filming.

Fuck Netflix these shows were my jam.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Doodmann was warned for this.

Yarrrrr.

ElJeffe on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I'd guess this has more to do with the coming launch of Disney+ than Netflix decision makers.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'd guess this has more to do with the coming launch of Disney+ than Netflix decision makers.

Disney+ likely wouldn’t be the home for these types of products unless they drastically change them.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope somewhere is! Probably too late for these shows, but to kill them off and not replace them with anything sucks.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Then the bundlers start having different tiers. $50 for basic, $80 gets you everything.

Then we basically have SuperComcast fighting MegaDirecTV for your media dollars.

I think something will give by then. The precursor to streaming sites was the increase in piracy that showed a clear demand for streaming video content at a reasonable price. The non-sense that is cable pricing plus DVR and ondemand viewing just did nothing to satisfy the larger market that wanted something that was a reasonable price for their service. Most Americans are socially trained enough to want to give you money in exchange for your goods and services, but if you price them out they will go to the black market to meet demand.

The rise of mega packages will just lead to the same scenario playing out all over again. Market forces will force something to give or the black market will become a more dominant force. I won't pretend to know what that looks like, but we have watched it play out a couple times in the digital era so far.

MP3 downloads only stopped once an alternative that was seen as affordable hit the scene. I would bet we have seen a relative decrease in video piracy as Netflix and Hulu broadened their offerings. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I would guess we could see a drop in GoT streams once HBO Go became a thing. If content becomes functionally locked out then an illegal alternative likely rises and forces the market to adapt again.

None of this is meant to advocate for people to engage in internet piracy of videos of course. This is just the scenario that I think will play out of that future begins to rise up.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Fun fact:

Emily Blunt (Jim from The Office's real wife) nearly became both Black Widow and Peggy Carter!
    mary-poppins-returns-emily-blunt-1520211134.jpg?resize=480:*

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She needs to reprise the roll of Rita, already.

• Options
    Diego Luna's interview about Narcos: Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUQqRXevpw

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh hey new season of F is for Family is up

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Disney+ likely wouldn’t be the home for these types of products unless they drastically change them.

Agreed. Cloak and Dagger (Freeform owned by Disney) and Runaways (Hulu soon to be mostly owned by Disney) have nothing to fear unless their ratings are bad.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I think something will give by then. The precursor to streaming sites was the increase in piracy that showed a clear demand for streaming video content at a reasonable price. The non-sense that is cable pricing plus DVR and ondemand viewing just did nothing to satisfy the larger market that wanted something that was a reasonable price for their service. Most Americans are socially trained enough to want to give you money in exchange for your goods and services, but if you price them out they will go to the black market to meet demand.

The rise of mega packages will just lead to the same scenario playing out all over again. Market forces will force something to give or the black market will become a more dominant force. I won't pretend to know what that looks like, but we have watched it play out a couple times in the digital era so far.

MP3 downloads only stopped once an alternative that was seen as affordable hit the scene. I would bet we have seen a relative decrease in video piracy as Netflix and Hulu broadened their offerings. I haven't looked at the numbers, but I would guess we could see a drop in GoT streams once HBO Go became a thing. If content becomes functionally locked out then an illegal alternative likely rises and forces the market to adapt again.

None of this is meant to advocate for people to engage in internet piracy of videos of course. This is just the scenario that I think will play out of that future begins to rise up.

I don't agree. Streaming only took off because the older media companies didn't understand the value of what they were selling. That's how Netflix got so big and it's part of why they are pushing to become a media company themselves. You don't want to shackle your entire business model to the whims of a bunch of other companies who are doing all the content creation.

Now that everyone knows where the money is, they are all jumping in. But they haven't learned any lesson. They haven't figured anything out. They aren't thinking about piracy. They just see dollar signs that are floating in Netflix's direction and want that. "That's our movies and TV! Why is someone else making money off of it?". So everyone is gonna make a play for their own service.

And the only way this hits an equilibrium point is when the companies that can't make it profitable enough drop out and the rest stick around and we end up with a fragmented streaming economy regardless.

• Options
    I tried watching this Netflix "original" show Sick Note (it was a SkyTV show), and I really couldn't get past the first 10 minutes, mainly because the main ginger character is playing Destiny and being a early 00's generic pothead. The autoplay trailer shows it being about a loser who is wrongly diagnosed with cancer and getting into wacky mishaps, and Danny Butterman and Sonny Crockett are in it, but never got to them.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Plugged it before, but I'll do it again because it deserves to be seen: Happy as Lazzaro hit Netflix today. It's an Italian magical-social-realist film. It's beautiful and strange and in the end kinda heartbreaking. One of the more unique films of the year, so check it if it sounds like something you might want to see.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I tried watching this Netflix "original" show Sick Note (it was a SkyTV show), and I really couldn't get past the first 10 minutes, mainly because the main ginger character is playing Destiny and being a early 00's generic pothead. The autoplay trailer shows it being about a loser who is wrongly diagnosed with cancer and getting into wacky mishaps, and Danny Butterman and Sonny Crockett are in it, but never got to them.

I watched most of it in the background while playing some MTG Arena and there's really not much to the show. Nothing's that funny, Frost is mostly forgettable, that girl that sounds like Bmo is pointless but gets a ton of screen time and the unfunny version of Reynholm is just embarrassing to watch.

Seriously, Frost is much more memorable in Black Books and Ron Weasley is about on par with the stage presence of the little plastic football man stuck in Frost's hair.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how well these smaller streaming services are doing? My hope is that they just fail from lower viewership and then go back to licensing their content to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how well these smaller streaming services are doing? My hope is that they just fail from lower viewership and then go back to licensing their content to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

Filmstruck is dying

that bodes poorly

This discussion has been closed.