As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to dispose of old D&D stuff?

CorvusCorvus .VancouverRegistered User regular
Hey folks, I haven't played pnp RPGs for decades, but I've been toting around my books and small stack of dragon magazines whenever I move. Does 2nd edition stuff have any value? A quick search was not very educational.

The dragon magazines seem to be worthless, I'm about ready to recycle them.

:so_raven:

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    How to dispose of them is probably through your paper recycling. How to sell them is another matter entirely.

Currently 3.5 and 5e are the most played, and with good reason. There is probably a collector out there though.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's not as played anymore, as said above. Which means selling it locally, be it Craigslist, directly or consignment to a comic book store, etc, is a lot harder and you'd be better off going the eBay route to find a buyer.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, anyone in Vancouver who wants the magazines can have them for free.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    if you just want to be rid of them and aren't interested in getting any money for them take them to a used bookseller. When I was in highschool my mates and I all i wanted to get into 3rd edition at the time but no one wanted to drop $150 on three core books. We all were able to score 2nd edition books for literally dollars at used book places. We also found barely used boxed adventure campaigns for next to nothing. It wasn't the new hotness that was 3rd edition at the time, but it was super affordable for us and there were a lot of weekends lost to thac0. Since we're up to 5th edition people may not have that same interest since there are plenty of older editions to get in between, but if you just want them gone most decent sized used booksellers have dropboxes.

If there is anything in your area in the vein of a McKay's they might even assess the value and pay you for them, but again since they are 2nd edition I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Maybe see if your local library has any interest?

I doubt they have much value but I don't know that for sure.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Alternatively, anyone in Vancouver who wants the magazines can have them for free.

Try taking them to a public library branch if you don't want to sell them but don't want to recycle them. They will add it to their collection, or sell them in a book sale. Any branch should accept them.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Try listing the books on eBay. I've certainly bought 2nd ed stuff on eBay before. You won't have much luck with the standard books like the Player's handbook, but if you have things like Ravenloft or Planescape collections you may get them to a good home.

The magazines might go at a nerd swap meet if you know of any.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Put them on the free section on Craigslist. Guaranteed someone will offer to take them.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    There are specific Facebook groups for this very thing in which you can post offers along with the ebay suggestion to sell off your gaming stuff relatively quickly.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Give them all to a random kid in a bar.

Hey, it's how I got all my first edition stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Remember, you have to be dressed as a wizard when you do this. Otherwise, it might seem to be just a little bit weird.

see317 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Remember, you have to be dressed as a wizard for this not to be just a little bit weird.

Interestingly, this calls to mind two mental images:
    One is, of course, the classic "robe and wizard hat".
    The other is the modern wizard: a well-dressed gentleman with an unusual cane and/or jewelry.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

Try taking them to a public library branch if you don't want to sell them but don't want to recycle them. They will add it to their collection, or sell them in a book sale. Any branch should accept them.

Libraries do not want obsolete old hobby magazines.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    VPL will take old stuff like that and sell it via a book sale. If there are some actual books mixed in, they could add it to their collection or likely also sell it via the book sale. In the worst case, the magazines etc go into the freebie box by the door. They'll tell you up front too when you take the stuff in if they will accept it or not.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Take it to a flgs and get store credit?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I took my old 2e stuff to my local game shop and asked them if they would be willing to take the books as a donation, or knew any kids who'd be interested (ultimately, I just didn't want to lug them around anymore). I think I had a smattering of 3/3.5 in there, too.

They ended up taking them and the owner gave me a store GC that I ultimately never used before it expired. I wanted the good will to stand on its own.

Sounds like you got your answers, though.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My only comment about the older Dragon magazines is that depending on when they were from they aren't totally worthless. Specifically, from around 1995 to 2000 various (WoTC?) employees would regularly print out rules addendums that could be found nowhere else.

Somewhere in a friend's garage I have a dogeared copy of Dragon with the only 2.x rules for half-dragon characters that ever existed. (to be fair I only ever used those tables twice)

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I think mine are more early-mid 90s. Will double check.