As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

None of this is Normal. Flake keeps saying words.

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
So Trump has been getting heavier criticism from the right this week. Enough that it's making some waves and we might want to discuss it. Because it is coming from people who have announced they are no longer running for office in 2018.

First, Trump has been having a Twitter fight with Bob Corker (R-Tenn) over taxes. It then gets personal.
Trump and Corker Escalate Battle Over Taxes, in Personal Terms [NY Times]
President Trump renewed his attacks on Senator Bob Corker on Tuesday, chastising him for his skepticism over a $1.5 trillion tax cut. Mr. Corker responded by going on national television to say that Mr. Trump was “debasing” the United States and that the president struggled with the truth.

Mr. Corker “couldn’t get elected dogcatcher in Tennessee,” Mr. Trump wrote in a Twitter post on Tuesday. Mr. Corker, a Republican from Tennessee, is not running for re-election after serving in the Senate since 2007.

Earlier this afternoon, Jeff Flake of Arizona also announced he was no longer seeking re-election.

“None of this is normal”: read the full transcript of Sen. Jeff Flake’s blistering retirement speech [Vox]

The text is in the article, but here's the video. I think it's important to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVk0KdPLpc
We were not made great as a country by indulging in or even exalting our worst impulses, turning against ourselves, glorifying in the things that divide us, and calling fake things true and true things fake. And we did not become the beacon of freedom in the darkest corners of the world by flouting our institutions and failing to understand just how hard-won and vulnerable they are.

This spell will eventually break. That is my belief. We will return to ourselves once more, and I say the sooner the better. Because we have a healthy government, we must also have healthy and functioning parties.

This thread is not to re-hash the 2016 election. Nor is it to debate what is going to happen in 2020 or even in 2018. We can take it as given that these two are not seeking re-election because of threat of primary from the right. Let's move on from that pre-emptively.

This thread IS about the divide between a President and his own party, and how long even loyal members of a party can stand firm in the face of gross incompetence.

Keep it on topic or the mods WILL lock the thread. I recommend reading their guidance on political threads here.

Are Corker and Flake just trying to put themselves on the right side of history now that they know they won't get another term? Are they the canaries in the coalmine for further rebellion against Trump?

Discuss.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• Options
    I swear Flake's voice is shaking a bit during parts of his speech.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Flake's speech, while inconsistent with his record, is actually a very good speech I think. I hope it is consistent with his behavior moving forward.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Flake's speech, while inconsistent with his record, is actually a very good speech I think. I hope it is consistent with his behavior moving forward.

Very much this. I wish this sentiment had appeared a lot earlier. And by more people.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What we are seeing is the result of some people who thought they could keep the mad rabble under control and harness them for power, and are now coming to the horrifying realization that not only were they wrong, but they could never have been right. It's not that things went sour, it's that they were sour from the very beginning.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yeah it's an incredibly well written speech that the country sorely needed about 18 months ago. I want to give him a lot of credit here but I just can't. If he really means this then he should start backing anti-Trump candidates even if they are Democrats. Were he to campaign against Roy Moore that would go a long way for me.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    What we are seeing is the result of some people who thought they could keep the mad rabble under control and harness them for power, and are now coming to the horrifying realization that not only were they wrong, but they could never have been right. It's not that things went sour, it's that they were sour from the very beginning.

Worked for a good 30 years

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

I'm not 100% in board with this criticism. As much as I would love to see conservatism in America broadly renounced by all practitioners in favor of peogressive policies, the abnormality of Donald Trump is a completely separate issue. The only actual vote I can think of that was a referendum on Trump was the Russia sanctions.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I won't believe any of these repentant Republicans until they're calling for impeachment.

The party leadership knew exactly what they were getting into when Trump's access hollywood tape came out.

They almost dropped him then but decided to ride the tiger.

Nothing's changed so far.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pretty words fellows

Maybe act on them!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I live in TN and I'm genuinely wondering what elections will be like next year.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I am cautiously optimistic here. I dunno if Flake's speech, as good as it is, will do much, but I very much would like to see moderate Republicans organizing. Not that there are many moderates in the GOP these days. But there have to be a few folks left who remember how to actually govern.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah I agree that was a great speech, with a powerful delivery. I fear it will fall on deaf ears, but better late than never to have some GOP legislators call out Trump on his absolutely unacceptable behavior.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    There are many moderates in the GOP. Most people who vote GOP are just doing so for low taxes and low interference in their lives. The majority of the US electorate just votes for the party they always vote for. The moderates in the leadership of the GOP need to splinter their party and FORCE a reckoning on this.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Meh. Wake me up when someone who actually has something to lose stands their ground. These guys may be putting a voice to what everyone is whispering about in the GOP anyway, but it's beyond obvious that they're only speaking up now that they're free of any co sequences.

• Options
    the moderate republicans could, if they were interesting in governing, break away from the leadership, form a coalition block with the democrats, and take control of both houses

they won't

because they're not interested in governing

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    the moderate republicans could, if they were interesting in governing, break away from the leadership, form a coalition block with the democrats, and take control of both houses

they won't

They won't because the RNC would close it's wallet, and they'd all be gone in less than 2 years.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Meh. Wake me up when someone who actually has something to lose stands their ground. These guys may be putting a voice to what everyone is whispering about in the GOP anyway, but it's beyond obvious that they're only speaking up now that they're free of any co sequences.

he freed himself of the consequences though? it's not like he failed to get re elected

this speech goes beyond what most of the others have even done... it's not in any sense vague, it's not off the cuff. it's an extended attack on the damage being done in the grandest terms.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I dunno that I would bet on "moderate" Republicans just yet.

Trump is still at 80% approval among Rs as of last week.

I dunno if some concerted effort by R Congresscritters could dent that but I doubt that ones and twos making statements as they retire are going to really accelerate things.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd

Thanks for making this thread, since I kinda almost posted this in White House Chaos thread, since it’s kinda related I guess, being it’s who’s in the WH causing this.

Anyhow, I hope this trend continues. Flake is one of my Senators and I’m curious how this is gonna go forward with both him and McCain retiring.

One thing I’m afraid of is people like Flake and Corker garnering sympathy, and therefor the GOP as a whole, for being so “brave” in being on the Right and criticizing the Toddler and Chief.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

they won't

They won't because the RNC would close it's wallet, and they'd all be gone in less than 2 years.

Again, they're not interested in governing, they're interested in retaining their positions.

Our country is lead by a narcissistic reality TV star?
    Spree shootings every month?
    Heath care costs soaring due to uncertainty from congress's inaction?

No, better to keep quiet and keep your job than to actually serve the country.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't know that it's fair to pretend there's no tension between 'do what's right right now' and 'stay in power to affect the future' even in the most honest politician, of which I then doubt there are many.

but it's kind of amazing to see people actually reach the breaking point there. I didn't know one existed.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    They're pulling out old SNL references

Haley Byrd is a Congressional reporter

“It was a very positive meeting,” Republican Sen. Kennedy says after Trump GOP lunch. “Nobody called anyone an ignorant slut.”

this is a real quote that I am reporting and not a joke, guys. this is something a senator just said

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't know that it's fair to pretend there's no tension between 'do what's right right now' and 'stay in power to affect the future' even in the most honest politician, of which I then doubt there are many.

but it's kind of amazing to see people actually reach the breaking point there. I didn't know one existed.

I mean I get it, that's certainly a difficult choice to make.

But like, if this isn't the time to sacrifice your career to save your country then you're never going to do it.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's all just words. In Corker's case it probably comes from an honest place because he's retiring so fuck it. In Flake's case it's very weird, because he basically has no audience in Arizona anymore and is going to fight an uphill battle come 2018 in the state that elected Jan Brewer a decade ago. Part of that's on the changing demos of Arizona, but the point is he's making it a lot harder on himself than it needs to be, especially because, like Evan McMullin, he has no ideological objection to any part of the Trump agenda, he just seems to dislike the fact that Trump says the quiet parts loud. In doing so he hasn't gained credibility with moderates but has pissed off Trump-diehards in Arizona.

Similar with Dean Heller. The two of them are making very bizarre choices for relatively vulnerable Senators up for re-election next year.

• Options
    @MuddBudd

Thanks for making this thread, since I kinda almost posted this in White House Chaos thread, since it’s kinda related I guess, being it’s who’s in the WH causing this.

Anyhow, I hope this trend continues. Flake is one of my Senators and I’m curious how this is gonna go forward with both him and McCain retiring.

One thing I’m afraid of is people like Flake and Corker garnering sympathy, and therefor the GOP as a whole, for being so “brave” in being on the Right and criticizing the Toddler and Chief.

Yeah, I dunno if we've quite hit a tipping point here... but this means... something. The best metaphor I've got is that it feels like a weight somewhere has shifted.

I suppose hindsight might call this the tipping point if this leads to more pushback against Trump and the right-wing agenda. But we need to see that happen first.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    My question is that if you're making a speech like this, and you're retiring, why isn't, "And I will vote no on literally every single piece of legislation, every motion, every procedural matter, etc. from this point forward." not included?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Stay and fight you cowards. They want credit for opposing an obviously unfit incompetent that they helped install without actually doing anything to fix it.

EDIT: I don't think the divide is actually real. Policy wise they're right in line. Trump just says the quiet parts loud.

This is really about the thing we can't talk about here.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Most of the animosity towards Trumpis likely that he's fucking up their total control. Passing shit should be easy for them, and Trump just keeps making things worse. It's not that Corker and Flake are against anything he's doing, it's that he's making their job more difficult, and his unpopularity is making re-election more dangerous for them by proxy.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I think the most interesting thing about that speech is the use of the word complicity.

That implies a lot.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    They're pulling out old SNL references

Haley Byrd is a Congressional reporter

“It was a very positive meeting,” Republican Sen. Kennedy says after Trump GOP lunch. “Nobody called anyone an ignorant slut.”

this is a real quote that I am reporting and not a joke, guys. this is something a senator just said

Wow.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    hbma7pnr2z7w.jpg

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I mean, it's all just words. In Corker's case it probably comes from an honest place because he's retiring so fuck it. In Flake's case it's very weird, because he basically has no audience in Arizona anymore and is going to fight an uphill battle come 2018 in the state that elected Jan Brewer a decade ago. Part of that's on the changing demos of Arizona, but the point is he's making it a lot harder on himself than it needs to be, especially because, like Evan McMullin, he has no ideological objection to any part of the Trump agenda, he just seems to dislike the fact that Trump says the quiet parts loud. In doing so he hasn't gained credibility with moderates but has pissed off Trump-diehards in Arizona.

Similar with Dean Heller. The two of them are making very bizarre choices for relatively vulnerable Senators up for re-election next year.

You didn't listen to the speech in the OP, did you.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

You didn't listen to the speech in the OP, did you.

Lol, whoops. I saw the news elsewhere.

It's what i get for having a job that actually keeps me working the full eight hours (for once). World of news just blowing by.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Flake is not running next year

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    While it would be much better to take action this stuff needs to be said and not by a democrat.
    Even a small audience on the right is important to reach and give them a shake that things are fucked up.

Doesn't make flake a great guy but I'd rather see this kind of thing happen than silence.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I was surprised when I saw a headline about this speech earlier today knowing that Flake was already in a precarious position (most likely to lose his seat to a Dem if he wasn't primaried). Didn't know he also announced he wasn't running anymore. That takes some of the steam out of it.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The Washington Post has an annotated transcript of the speech contextualizing parts of it, for the curious.

I'm still pretty far in the "deeds not words" camp on this one, mind, given this is someone who's been more supportive of the president than McCain, carefully avoided actually referring to Trump in the speech, and only a week or two ago voted against relief aid to Puerto Rico.

On the other hand, he seems to own his rank hypocrisy in the speech itself, so I suppose we'll see what he follows it up with in his remaining time in office if he actually is slipping the party's leash.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

they won't

they won't

Yeah, this really gets to why I'm not going to pat McCain, Corker and Flake on the back for speaking out against their caucus. Talk is cheap. These guys could take real actions that would shut some of this shit down. If all three broke off from the GOP caucus, they could put a huge damper on Trump's agenda. The thing is they are no better than McConnell, they don't care about what is right or wrong, what they care about is securing their wins and their wins at this point seem pretty worthless, since they don't seem to have any principles.

Bush Jr can get props from dissing Trump because he isn't in elected office, where he has the option to take a shit on Trump's agenda by either voting against everything shitty thing Trump wants or forcing his caucus to put forward leader that will tell Trump to fuck off, if they want the democrats in charge.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    What happens if Flake and Corker decide to caucus with the Democrats? Could they remove McConnell as Senate Majority Leader?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    What happens if Flake and Corker decide to caucus with the Democrats? Could they remove McConnell as Senate Majority Leader?

No, that would be 50-50.

This discussion has been closed.