As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Vulture droid preview is up.

The main hotness is buzz droids, which look utterly despicable.
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/7/terrifying-technology/

If you only have 1 ship left, and it has buzz droids, there's no way to get them off then is there? Can't attack them since they're always touching the ship?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

If you only have 1 ship left, and it has buzz droids, there's no way to get them off then is there? Can't attack them since they're always touching the ship?

From discussion, it seems they don't say they move with the ship. So any movement that doesn't overlap them shakes them off (e.g. barrel rolls). They can't attach if they'd overlap an obstacle (they self destruct and do 1 damage to whatever crossed them). So you could force them to attach behind and only take one hit...

The danger is precision shooting landing them directly on you, in which case they will immediately attach.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

From discussion, it seems they don't say they move with the ship. So any movement that doesn't overlap them shakes them off (e.g. barrel rolls). They can't attach if they'd overlap an obstacle (they self destruct and do 1 damage to whatever crossed them). So you could force them to attach behind and only take one hit...

The danger is precision shooting landing them directly on you, in which case they will immediately attach.

Forcing a barrel roll (and in many cases, a red barrel roll) is pretty big!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Couldn't you just attach them to the front guides and next turn the opponent is essentially required to fly through them?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Couldn't you just attach them to the front guides and next turn the opponent is essentially required to fly through them?

Yes. Though I think almost every ship has access to a barrel roll these days, and can get rid of it that way.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Yup. That will be the default. Barrel rolls will defeat it or you waste shots.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ah, so, move, swarm gets attached, then barrel roll and it's no longer at range 0 and therefore not a threat?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    It's going to be best against large-base ships as they are both easier to hit and generally lack barrel rolls.

• Options
    It's going to be best against large-base ships as they are both easier to hit and generally lack barrel rolls.

Also tend to have a higher hull:shield ratio for delicious crits.

• Options
    I'm guessing the droids are going to be pretty expensive.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh boy the change to Munitions Failsafe is amazing. That's actually really good now.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Oh boy the change to Munitions Failsafe is amazing. That's actually really good now.

I think they are considered part of the standard neutral cards, and therefore they are included in all the conversion kits and the republic/separatist faction packs.

I tell you what, though... I really wish the obvious "swarm" models didn't get the $20 boost. Like, I know it is unifying costs across the line, and the production, assembly, and painting costs are likely the same across the line, but even if the vultures were $15 to everything else's $20 it would make fielding swarms of them easier. And Vultures should outnumber TIEs!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

What changed?

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

What changed?

It's not if the attack misses, but you choose to cancel the attack without conditions. So if it's some one hit whiff you can abort instead of risking one damage through and expending the ammo.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

What changed?

It's not if the attack misses, but you choose to cancel the attack without conditions. So if it's some one hit whiff you can abort instead of risking one damage through and expending the ammo.

Oh, I thought there'd been a post 2.0 change. It's also a little worse because you have to use it before seeing the defense dice.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    The one that gets the extra die out the front and recharges out the back seems interesting. The ones that give bonuses to side arc buddies seem fucking DUUUUUMB. Like everything is fun and lollipops until you have to turn and then the whole formation and strategy is fucked.

• Options
  • Options
    Luminara seems strong. Anakin seems very good too.

• Options
    Points are up in the app and on the website.

Vultures are a record price of 20 points.

• Options
    Oh man that's kind of tempting. Like flying six with an actual good ship seems fun. On the other hand that's too much shit to buy.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Oh man that's kind of tempting. Like flying six with an actual good ship seems fun. On the other hand that's too much shit to buy.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a not-crazy buy in on this. One of each, two vultures gets me to one belbullab, four vultures, infiltrator... that can hit 200 but only all together. Republic is less crazy there.

Two of the main box would be tempting if the vulture pack wasnt apparently the sole source of discord missiles. Though adding that gets to a very flexible set of 6 vultures, 2 belbullabs, and an infiltrator. Oof the swarm faction, right?

• Options
    Yeah I'm doing one of each republic box. Maybe an additional arc. I also only own one tie striker and I feel like I need another.

• Options
    Haha. Sith Infiltrator looks great. The wings fold.

And it has two copies of Hate which I will totally not be using with Dooku (I'm totally using it with Dooku to recharge his crew ability of 1.0 Palpatine)

• Options
    My store didn't have a ton of stock in at first, but I was able to get.. well, a lot of stuff.

Interesting note: The Republic starter has a printing error on its dials for the V-19 Torrent. They slipped some replacement dials in mine. The error was they had two 2-speed right banks, instead of a 2-speed right bank and 2-speed right turn.

• Options
    I really love the dial on the vulture.

1K, 2 sloops. That's some real potential to dance, and makes them among the most agile ships in the game.

• Options
    The 1K almost seems like a negative especially on that ship. Like what is the use case for that? Firing at range 1 on a joust and then whipping around and then being in range the next turn after you both k-turn? It just seems like you'd die given the shitty stats of it, and the probably worse initiative.

• Options
    Plenty of ships don't have the ability to K.

It has a longer K turn as well, and with the sloops on top of that it has good options for coming back around.

There are definitely scenarios where I want to turn around ASAP because the fights moving away from me.

• Options
    I was just thinking of a lot of scenarios where let's say you're coming in from the side on one turn and you want to k-turn back to catch them, they might move laterally too far if you do a short K like that compared to a longer one so jousting was the only other thing that made a ton of sense but getting back into the fight also makes sense. There are times when my a-wings spend a couple turns hard 1 turning to get back or something.

• Options
    At any rate I'm going to need a few games to figure out how I want to fly them.

Round 1 is energy shells, struts, and Kraken support from the infiltrator.

• Options
    Yeah I kind of have no idea what I want to do with the Republic. I think I like Wolffe in the ARC but then what do I do with the rest of it. Mace with R4-P17 seems good. Toss in a couple Torrents with Dedicated?

I don't know what to do with most of the Aethersprites. I kind of want to get another one and fly a bunch but it seems like you really want a lot of units to trigger abilities for Luminara, Bariss, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan. Maybe just ace it up with Anakin, Mace and, Ahsoka? Seems bad to go that route with initiative 4 and 3.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to divest myself of my X-wing minis. I haven't brought any to the table in two years and my buddy who I do play games with has literally all of them, with enough multiples for us to field full squads of whatever I want.

There is a "gamer" garage sale at our local game store in a couple weeks and I think I'm going to sort everything out into rebel, Imperial and Scum (I don't have any V2 stuff) and sell them off in batches.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to divest myself of my X-wing minis. I haven't brought any to the table in two years and my buddy who I do play games with has literally all of them, with enough multiples for us to field full squads of whatever I want.

There is a "gamer" garage sale at our local game store in a couple weeks and I think I'm going to sort everything out into rebel, Imperial and Scum (I don't have any V2 stuff) and sell them off in batches.

I might be interested in some of it! Let me know if you're interested in shipping any.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I might be interested in some of it! Let me know if you're interested in shipping any.

Sure! If I have any left after letting my friend know and the game shop sale, I'll send you a message.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Welp. I bought one of each Republic sets and my friend bought one of each CIS sets.

We are going to pretend that they are just part of a completely separate game and only use them against each other.

*Edit

Damn these look good together. I only realized after unpacking that, except for the standalone Delta, all the current Republic craft have a unified color scheme that really looks cohesive. I got my two Rebel Arcs and they fit in pretty good as filler.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I saw some super fun lists posted on Reddit that were like a Sith Infiltrator with six Vultures and I was like "Oh that sounds cool" and then the minimum buy in for that is like $160 so probably not.

I feel pretty dang good about the Republic box, a couple ARCs and a Aethersprite. I mean maybe one Aethersprite? Thinking about it I think the Republic has some of the coolest overall starfighter designs. Aethersprite, ETA-2, V-Wing, and the ARC are all cool as hell.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I saw some super fun lists posted on Reddit that were like a Sith Infiltrator with six Vultures and I was like "Oh that sounds cool" and then the minimum buy in for that is like $160 so probably not.

I feel pretty dang good about the Republic box, a couple ARCs and a Aethersprite. I mean maybe one Aethersprite? Thinking about it I think the Republic has some of the coolest overall starfighter designs. Aethersprite, ETA-2, V-Wing, and the ARC are all cool as hell.

I hope they have a Republic Gunship even if they are more atmospheric. I love those things.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I hope they have a Republic Gunship even if they are more atmospheric. I love those things.

The tie striker and reaper are in the game and the laat seems popular so I feel like your odds are good.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Played a couple games with the new ships yesterday. Republic seems fun, Jedi are pretty cool little ships.

First list was Anakin, Mace, and Wollfe. I couldn't really live the Wollfe/Veteran Turret Gunner dream of just launching damage out both ends but it did force my opponent to consider where they went so that's probably a plus. Did Anakin with the 7B upgrade and that seems strong. Honestly they don't feel weak without the upgrade, having force always available is great. Mace is kind of the standout for me, his playstyle is fun and he doesn't feel hamstrung at initiative 4 like I suspected he might. It is actually kind of hard to consistently be doing red maneuvers AND spending down the force though.

Second list was Mace, Luminara, and two I2 generic ARCs, one with Commander Cody and one with Seventh Fleet Gunner. Luminara was actually great. I just had her fly in formation with the ARCs and soak damage with the force and take potshots while the ARCs fucked up shit. I think she saved at least two damage and converted a crit to a hit which was big. ARCs are pretty good ships I feel. They got a decent amount of tankiness and they deal good damage. I'm not super impressed with Cody, although he is cheap for the points, but Seventh Fleet Gunner seems strong. I'm thinking maybe Plo and Luminara, two ARCs with Seventh Fleet? Jedi mainly in a support role, Luminara to heal, Plo to siphon the disarms off the ARCs.

I could also see getting a third Aethersprite down the line and that being a lot of fun. Ani/Obi/Plo all with Calibrated Laser Targeting is 190 even and that seems good. Plo seems like kind of a waste ability wise but you're just getting the guy at I5 with some theoretical upside if Anakin gets jammed or something. Also have points to kick someone up to a 7B, or maybe drop Plo for Mace or Saesee?

Edit: Oh, another fuckin' beef I got is that basically all light side force upgrades are garbage now that Supernatural is costed out of viability for most pilots (okay maybe not like, Ahsoka or generic Jedi Knight, or Kylo). I mean the Dark Side has Hate which is good. It's just a wasted slot on a lot of these Jedi fighters and I'd rather they be EPTs. They should come up with a light side talent. Maybe something like Serenity: +1 non regenerating force so it just expands your cap. That would help out on someone like Ahsoka or Barriss who are both dealing with a single. Almost all the other upgrades need to be free. There's so much demand for shit to spend your force charges on so having a points cost AND a force cost seems a bit much.

Edit edit: Like battle meditation is way overcosted. The coordinate is purple, works on non-limited ships, AND costs 13/15 points on I5/6? Ridiculous. It feels like the use case for battle meditation is just a bunch of generics using it on each other.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Ahsoka has 2 cap though?

Coordinate imo is strongest at both very low and very high initiative, so cost scaling with initiative doesn't seem right for it.

Oh, they apparently announced epic 2.0 is coming and won't require buying new ships at Addpticon.