Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think I like the idea of those 2-packs. It's nice that you're not getting 2 identical copies but still getting 2 ships. And individual ships are expensive these days.
    Also, love me some Cad Bane.

Yeah it's pretty rare that you want one of a ship anyways.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I think I like the idea of those 2-packs. It's nice that you're not getting 2 identical copies but still getting 2 ships. And individual ships are expensive these days.
    Also, love me some Cad Bane.

Yeah it's pretty rare that you want one of a ship anyways.

Poor TIE defenders. Can't run triples and probably don't want to run doubles anymore either.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone aware of a modern successor to SirWilli's microhangers? I invested pretty heavily in making them quite a few years back, but due to RL and falling out of the game, SirWilli has significantly cut back on them. I liked them because they were a way to store the ships in as little room as possible while still being structurally sound and easily identifiable.

As my 2.0 collection has grown, it's... well, it's out of hand again. To the point where I've even considered making my own hangers. Though if I did, I'd include the dial, bases, and all that with them. Though I'm not sure if the extra weight would help or hurt things, or cause things to get scratched.

CXMMJloh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is a good way to store x-wing models? I'm looking to organize my hobby stuff and I'm not sure what to do with my x-wing stuff.

This is what I have.
    zo3skprtigbd.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I used paper craft boxes, but the main person who did that has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth. For a collection that size, a pluck foam tray would likely work.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If you're not going to travel to much with them, then a parts and pieces box from someplace like home depot will hold them well. It's what I had most of mine in. I kept a small foam case for carrying a squad to go do battle.

rb7kwsr6agoi.png

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The spaceships can survive some light jostling in a parts box, too. I use that to transport the stuff, although I probably wouldn't trust that in checked-in luggage.

(I've had to re-attach the wing on a TIE Advance once. It was no biggie; drop of superglue did the trick.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I used a plano {well two planos} to store the ships. The 3700 4-15 ones
    Most of the large ships went back into their boxes

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    When I was obsessed with this game I bought a ton of Feldherr figure cases and foam: they have exact cut-outs for each ship and will make custom foam trays for your collection. It's probably overkill, but at the time it was a lot easier for me to just buy those than spend my time plucking foam or printing boxes (and believe me I did try both).

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Still don't like that AMG doesn't have a centralized update front page like FFG did, but hey. At least they are putting out content I can get behind:

https://shop.asmodee.com/x-wing-2nd-ed-5-hot-shots-1-aces-ii-reinforcements-swz97en

35 ship cards.
    New pilots launch into Star Wars: X-Wing in this new pack! The Hotshots and Aces II pack gives players even more options for their squadrons of every faction with 35 new ship cards for a wide variety of ships. Among them, players will find a number of iconic pilots with all new ways to benefit their squadrons, including Tycho Celchu, Kit Fisto, Aurra Sing, Poe Dameron, Hondo Ohnaka, and Doctor Aphra.

swz97en-1.jpg

Man I need some more V-19 torrents, but I don't want to buy another Republic starter.

Edit: Interesting that they are recommending Orange sleeves, instead of the usual Gray ones... maybe this is part of their standardized loadout stuff?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Arise!

Played my first round of X-Wing (Coop) in like 3 years. It was a ton of fun. Still such a great game.

8c60z8i0994c.jpg

ds9qq9xtbzu0.jpg

1tz87vuh9grk.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    What are the giant cards?

• Options

They are the enemy ship "AI". Depending where the enemy ship is, the closest player ship, where the player ship is in relation to the enemy ship, and a bit of randomness from a d6 determines the maneuver the enemy ship will take. It works pretty well! Then depending on if the enemy has a shot, it'll take a focus, or try to take a barrel roll to get or evade a shot, or take an evade token.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

They are the enemy ship "AI". Depending where the enemy ship is, the closest player ship, where the player ship is in relation to the enemy ship, and a bit of randomness from a d6 determines the maneuver the enemy ship will take. It works pretty well! Then depending on if the enemy has a shot, it'll take a focus, or try to take a barrel roll to get or evade a shot, or take an evade token.

Is this en expansion, or is it homebrew?

• Options

It's homebrew. "Heroes of the Aturi Cluster". Its been out for years at this point.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

It's homebrew. "Heroes of the Aturi Cluster". Its been out for years at this point.

Did they convert that for 2E? I've wanted to run it with my boys forever, but never got around to it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Did they convert that for 2E? I've wanted to run it with my boys forever, but never got around to it.

I have no idea, but we were running it with 2e rules this weekend and it seemed to work fine.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is a good way to store x-wing models? I'm looking to organize my hobby stuff and I'm not sure what to do with my x-wing stuff.

This is what I have.
    zo3skprtigbd.jpg
    look for a cheap tackle box at walmart etc, or what ever your super store is near you.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

This is what I have.
    zo3skprtigbd.jpg
    look for a cheap tackle box at walmart etc, or what ever your super store is near you.

For the small fighters, a Plano tackle box used to be the goto for storage. But the bigger ships like the Falcon of the Hound's Tooth don't really fit in very well.
    You might also look at cheap plastic tool boxes. They don't have the compartments, but they'll let you fit the bigger ships with no problems.

Pretty sure this is the model I've been using:
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plano-stow-n-go-singled-sided-lockjaw-15-54-adjustable-compartment-box-14-5-wx2-3-8-dx11-3-4-h-red?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Ma-tNuI_AIVIhetBh3jWwY5EAQYAyABEgITg_D_BwE

• Options
    I was talking about Aeronautica Imperialis in the Warhammer 40k thread, and I can't help but compare it to X-Wing. AI is dying. While there are rumors that it's getting a revamp, analyzing why it crashed and burned after it's initial takeoff is pretty easy: the game just isn't very good. There's not enough depth in the maneuver system, and the optimal ways to play don't fall in line with the fantasy of playing a dogfighting game. What's more difficult for me to analyze is "Why aren't I playing X-Wing right now?"

Personally, even in it's heyday I only had 2-3 friends who were interested in X-Wing, which is especially weird as that was while I was in an Air Force flying squadron with plenty of nerds who got together to play board games on weekends. There was a small, but persistent crowd at the various FLGS, but do to their distance and tendency to play on weekday nights, I almost never played there. I went to GenCon when 2.0 came out, and bought (and sorted!) the new cards, but I never played a game in that system. Right now, I don't even know who owns the property, what rules are current (or where to find them), or if its even still in print. Obviously I could figure these out with a google search, but if I'm being honest, I'm just not willing to spare the time right now to get back into the system unless I know I'm going to be playing it, and there are other games that have priority.

Am I the odd one out? Are there vibrant communities out there playing this game? What were your experiences or opinions as to why this game has died, if it's even dead. I don't know, I'm not a game doctor or anything.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    There’s some strong local groups in my area - NoVA, DC - and there was a couple “Learn to Play X-Wing” tables at a decent local Con that seemed to steady business.

I don’t play as often as I’d like largely because kids and work have been ridiculous lately.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    What's the latest point guide anyway? I heard the app imploded, did they ever do PDFs?

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    What's the latest point guide anyway? I heard the app imploded, did they ever do PDFs?

Atomic mass games has published point sheets, and the newer product is focusing on standard loadout cards for introductory play.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-documents

That said... I have thoughts as a "casual" outsider who has observed FFG for over a decade now. I am about to head to bed, though, so ill type them up in the morning if that is okay.

Athenor on
  • Options
    So, @Athenor ... Where are your thoughts? :D

• Options
    Also ...

p8dmelt0xqhw.png

qmvr070ew0z8.png

... is that really saying that R2s and R5s are banned in competitive play?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Thoughts about what? DidI miss something? Give me a few...

Edit: Oh shit, sorry, you were playing off my previous post. Um. Let me type up some stuff.

Athenor on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also ...

p8dmelt0xqhw.png

qmvr070ew0z8.png

... is that really saying that R2s and R5s are banned in competitive play?

Yep. However, they have left R2-D2 and R5-D8 alone (they have more charges, but are more expensive). I think they want to keep recovery mechanics limited and don't want a whole squad with them since it can encourage running away or turtling, especially in certain scenarios.

• Options
    Can confirm: X-Wing still an amazing game.

Played a game the other night with my sons, who are not nearly as good at this as I am, since I've played it way more.

They picked Good Guys so I played Bad Guys, using the old Threat-based squadbuilding rules: Norra Wexley (Y-Wing) and Roark Garnet (HWK-290) vs. Maarek Stele (TIE Adv/x1) and Zertik Strom (TIE Adv/x1). Anyway, we played a couple of rounds and I had one ridiculously good attack against Norra that almost one-shot her, because a couple of crits snuck through and were Direct Hits. Roark was a mostly smoking wreck, too, at that point.

So then we switched seats. :D

And I made it my goal to just not die, so they got to play with the Empire ships that were much more full health, and I had a real challenge on my hands to keep out of the guns of my opponents while making careful use of my turret arcs ...

In the end, I managed to knock out Zertik Strom with Norra's extremely damaging front arc attack (main guns + Turret + Veteran Gunner); on the next turn Roark would have ended up off the board; and, it was late, so we called the game. They pointed out that, because I won, it really meant that *they* won because they'd set things up for me to win.

So everyone had a good time.

But boy have the rules changed a bit since the last time I played a bunch. I need to study up.

• Options
    In semi-related news, where does one find the latest quick-build cards / loadouts for the current set of rules?

The last I've seen were on the FFG site, so they're naturally out-of-date.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    In semi-related news, where does one find the latest quick-build cards / loadouts for the current set of rules?

The last I've seen were on the FFG site, so they're naturally out-of-date.

Finally, Atomic Mass Games has updated their website so it isn't completely crappy to use.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing/

I don't know if Quick Build cards are still a thing, as they move to standard loadouts.

• Options
    Is there a list of all the standard loadouts somewhere?

• Options
    yasb has them, but you need to go to each individual ship to find them. https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v9ZhZ20Z&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    I happened into a new to me comics and games shop on Free Comic Book Day and there was a big banner for a local X-Wing group. I dusted off my two core sets (one second edition, one first edition with second edition cards and dials sent my way years ago by a fellow thread-goer) and bought a T-65 at the shop so I could run two in the flight academy format and start learning to play. I also took a hard look at Armada but decided to read up on it a bit before committing to buying any.

Yesterday I got a recommended YT video from Crabbok (whose Armada videos I had watched to learn more about the game) pointing out that all X-Wing and Armada SKUs are now suddenly “out of stock” on Asmodee’s web shop.

I guess I picked a bad time to get back into the game, but at least I didn’t also spend my summer fun budget getting set up for Armada as well?

I am going to run a 10-point XX list in a Flight Academy-style matchup later this month though, I am very much looking forward to exchanging victory points for education even if the game is about to go through more Changes.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    I’m getting the itch to start playing again myself. I went to the Xwing minis subreddit and it’s pretty decent with lots of links to resources and a semi active community.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Does that store have any of the gunship from TIE Fighter? I tried to get at least 2 of every model, but rhat is one that i think i was only able to get 1 of.

• Options
    I'm utterly devastated: I had plans to play X-Wing with a pair of friends, albeit plans we made while drinking over the weekend. They forgot and are instead doing Gloomhaven tonight. Imagine this picture, but with a grown-ass man instead of a kid, and a giant tacklebox & rubber mat instead of a glove:
    1cgdwzwkj2mf.jpg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I ended up bringing X-Wing minis to the Electrical Engineering club's game night last night and demoing the game for a couple. The husband is a graduating EE, and he wasn't super into it, but his wife was. Unfortunately she had a bit of trouble thinking through the maneuvers, and so spent something like 15 consecutive turns doing slight banks alternating with high speed turns while her husband more or less was parked in her rear arc. The dice rolls where hot for both of them though, especially with Luke's defensive abilities on the Battle of Yavin version of his card. Still I got a few more people interested, and I might make this a more regular occurrence over the summer. I also found a local gaming store where they play every Wednesday, so I'll start going to that too.

The game is a bit of a forgotten gem I think. People are arguing online about the virtues of the 2.0 to 2.5 ruleset changes, and I can see the complaints, but the underlying game is still fantastic. I stopped playing because of the soul-crushing job I had in 2016, and then again in 2019, and then again for the pandemic. But I don't know why I waited so long to play the game again.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    This was recently recommended in the Discord of the local gaming group. As someone who has only ever set things up for myself, by myself, on a rainy afternoon, there’s quite a bit of new information here for me, especially some of the “if you are in position X, you can use maneuver Y to accomplish Z” tips. I don’t know how useful it will be to more experienced players, but I share it in the hopes that some reader gets value from it:
    https://exilesquadron.com/tips-and-tricks/

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    RIP X-Wing and Armada.

Spoiler for large image.
    ql332qtz37bb.png

• Options
    Well... for fuck's sake. We all knew it was coming, but... fuck.