Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

1373839404143»

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well I jumped on the 2E upgrade sets for Rebels and Empire and then grabbed the Armada upgrade set too.

Time to start grabbing any missing models.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think the second hand market for X-Wing models will be robust for a very long time. Because you'll have all the people with collections who stop playing as soon as it stops being supported, selling their models now. And then all the people who buy up collections now saying, "I'll get my collection and be able to play for all time!" and then realize they have five other games like that in their basement, and sell them five years from now when they finally admit that they're not going to see play.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I was just flipping through the stock list for Xwing and Armada and I wonder how much having the models prepainted hurt profitability? Everything is absolutely gorgeous, but I wonder if that hurt the game since everything is so damn expensive.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I was just flipping through the stock list for Xwing and Armada and I wonder how much having the models prepainted hurt profitability? Everything is absolutely gorgeous, but I wonder if that hurt the game since everything is so damn expensive.

A lot, apparently. Schick did an interview recently and part of the issue with making new ships was how expensive it is to setup.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Having them prepainted is what got me into the hobby to strart with. At the time printing was still too daunting a challenge.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Ya it was a brilliant move and they did it well. Compared to the mushy garbage that looked like someone shot paintballs at them of Mage Knight/HeroClix the X-Wing models are sharp and nicely painted.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Ya it was a brilliant move and they did it well. Compared to the mushy garbage that looked like someone shot paintballs at them of Mage Knight/HeroClix the X-Wing models are sharp and nicely painted.

Armada was a miracle of production. I don’t play anymore but still keep them out on display.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I popped open my X-Wing case (never updated to 1.0 but didn't want to sell it either) and they look even better than I remember. So many cool ships that never saw the table because the competitive meta was so tight...

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    See, I prepped for this day a long, long time ago... (in a galaxy far, far away)

TqGAfeJh.jpg

(those are all 2nd copies I picked up at a Barnes and Noble clearance sale for half off.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Andrew Navarro (the old FFG head) talked a bit about his feelings on the X-Wing announcement on the Earthborne podcast last week.

https://youtu.be/Thf4fZoeii0

Definitely feel like the announcement on the AMG side felt a little... soul-less? for how important that game was to the industry and company.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ultimately it wasn’t really that important to AMG. They came from a different side of tabletop gaming and leveraged that into the Marvel license, but the background of AMG/MCP is Privateer Press and Warmachine, not FFG. When the FFG games were dumped on them they had enough budget to add one developer and they added someone (again from Privateer) who played Legion.

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sigh...

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Ultimately it wasn’t really that important to AMG. They came from a different side of tabletop gaming and leveraged that into the Marvel license, but the background of AMG/MCP is Privateer Press and Warmachine, not FFG. When the FFG games were dumped on them they had enough budget to add one developer and they added someone (again from Privateer) who played Legion.

That *does* remind me of a local story from when AMG was announced, when some locals found out who was running it and just laughed. “Yeah, no, we’re not buying anything from Mr. ‘MAT 5 Dire Trolls are Fine, You Just Need to Improve Your Skills.’”

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I used to play X-Wing way back when, but got out around the time Wave 5 has coming out (introducing Scum I believe).

Recently, I got a friend of mine to play some TTS and we tried out X-Wing. The mod is fully automated, making the flying and stuff easy to keep track of. If this was IRL X-Wing, he probably would watch but not play. With the mod handling everything, he's way more into it.

That being said, I never played 2.0 or 2.5. I've read about the differences but wondered what y'all prefer. It seems like a big point of contention on Reddit between the two versions. I'm leaning towards 2.5 since it simplifies the squad building for my friend.

Also, quick rules question: I got hit the other day by 2 crits and a regular damage. I flipped my first crit over and it was a Fuel Leak (After you suffer a crit damage, suffer a regular damage then flip this card). Since I had two crits, I took the extra damage for a total of 4 destroying my ship.

What is the timing on the damage? Would they resolve one at a time or all at once?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Damage is dealt one at a time, hits before crit.
    Resolve in the order they come up. If the first damage card you dealt was that crit, it should have been a hit instead.

So in the case of 1 hit and 2 crits, you would:
    1. Deal the hit
    2. Flip the next damage card for the first crit, resolve it and apply the results (fuel leak, etc)
    3. Flip the next damage card for the second crit and resolve it.
    4. Check if the number of damage cards exceeds the hull value.

It's worth noting that *all* damage is dealt to the ship, even if you exceed the hull value before damage is finished being dealt.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So, I got the right result just in the wrong order. Hits before crits.

The TIE should have taken one hit, then the first crit (Fuel Leak), then the second crit, which triggered Fuel Leak giving me another hit and flipping Fuel Leak. That would end up with me having 4 total damage and destroyed.

Also, 4 hull on TIE Fighters? The game has changed. Back in my day a 3-hit roll used to kill them!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page