As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Floaking [chat]

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I refuse to confirm or deny anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    The next chat op please kindly make it halloween themed. I understand if you already have something written up but at least put spoopy skeletons in

kBv5lX7.gif

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    there's nothing spoopy about that skelly

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    virtue signaling:
    20170522__23FTdiesel_driversw~1.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    porp and I are going as Sheldon and Amy for Halloween @gooey

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    this morning was a "multiple umbrella prolapse" kind of morning

the city is experiencing minor floods again as well

ugh

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I mean we're in a culture where people will argue with red-faced, neck vein-bulging sincerity that slightly complicated attempts to verbalize someone's gender or ethnicity represent an attempt by ... colleges? ... to ... stifle free speech? Which somehow represents a kind of ... cultural erasure? Of white people in general?

Like ..

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    porp and I are going as Sheldon and Amy for Halloween gooey

virtue signalling

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck, this Spiderman game from Insomniac looks INCREDIBLE

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    porp and I are going as Sheldon and Amy for Halloween

the opposite of virtue signalling

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    "You're lucky with all that calcium build up it didn't shoot off and hit you"

Uh, yeah, thanks for that calming thought, duder.

I don't know why people hate two-axis three-increment alignment systems when IRL we live in a much more restrictive two party electoral player character creation system

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    porp and I are going as Sheldon and Amy for Halloween @gooey

No greater horror.

sig.gif
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    wbp2hxqa6pt0.jpg

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I refuse to confirm or deny anything.

ArbitraryJournalist, Generic Picayune Times.

One question and a follow-up.

In the past you have stated that you would neither confirming or deny any information.
    Can you confirm that you still hold that position?

Follow up: How about now?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    That skirt has a cargo pocket

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    ok, sounds like complaining about virtue signaling is itself a signal of rightwing affiliation at this point.

I feel like a few years ago this wasn't true, but now I'm not sure....

The way I look at it is basically this:

there are absolutely left-liberal people who are hypocritical about this or that, or who employ fuzzy reasoning, or are just unpleasant ooverwrought moralizing scolds. This isn't made-up. It can absolutely be a problem, particularly in real life day-to-day interactions. I have absolutely known people who fell down a hole of trying to find politically-flavored fault in everyone around them until they've built up their own little paranoid Fortress of Solitude to live in and it's not...okay. It's no bueno.

BUT compared to institutionalized racism or sexism or the fact that people get routinely murdered for certain facts about their biology or sexuality it's not even a blip on the fucking radar and someone who makes a personal crusade out of hunting down leftist hypocrisy or treating dumb tumblr kids like an existential menace gets a serious sideeye from me because they are either cripplingly detached from what actually matters or are actively providing cover to legitimate evil.

Right, what I was saying is that I thought that a few years ago (several years ago?) I discussed the concept of virtue signaling semi-regularly--maybe in one of these left-eating-the-left critiques of overly enraged tumblr? But I know I also discussed the perspective that virute signaling, is, in fact, useful--it's good to know if the person you're talking to is someone who's going to despise you for your existence as a person or not (and blah blah blah we can talk about performative allyship taking away airspace from marginalized voices but on the other hand, yeah, *do* perform allyship, whether genuinely felt or just trying to establish liberal credentials, in order to create a nice and welcoming environment!) It's also just good to see if people come from the same viewpoint, subculture, etc. Indicating these affiliations helps facilitate discourse.

But I guess the people discussing it now are mostly rightwing and trying to paint liberal opinions as insincere? w h a t e v e r *teenage eye roll*

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    If I get chat OP I'm going to Demand that geth infract anyone who bad mouths alignment systems

Negative XP

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I miss the days of getting news and information about stuff in non-video form. I can't always watch videos at work or whatever but damn do people love making a ten minute video instead of writing out two paragraphs.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    $10 a month to rent games from Gamestop and you get to keep a game after six months. I guess that's a little better than just buying a game outright for $60.
    http://mashable.com/2017/10/29/gamestop-powerpass-details/#9vjjcWoNggqP

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    milski wrote: »
    Virtue Signalling is basically used as a catchall term to imply that anybody who cares about certain policies or issues is only doing so out of a desire to appear morally superior to other people in their crowd, without a genuine belief the issues are real or that solving them would help. Essentially, it is not just an argument that e.g. systemic racism is not a problem, but that the people who say it is don't even believe it and if you do, you're a mark. Or to put it another way, it's trying to paint the entirety of the left as, basically, being equivalent to the kind of memetic, extravagent handwringing you see on probably-fake Tumblr accounts.

hmmm i think it has the connotation of maybe the strength of the belief being falsely represented. but i have never really thought of it as the belief not having any grounding in the person.

e.g. people who believe in the horrors of systemic racism but have to be 'loudest' about it on social media for ally points. saying they're virtue signaling isn't necessarily (for me) that they don't believe in what they're pushing. it's that they're pushing it extra hard and loud for head-nods and recognition as woke or w-e.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    If I get chat OP I'm going to Demand that geth infract anyone who bad mouths alignment systems

Negative XP

omg desc has been into 40K for like a month and he's already a tyrant......

rRwz9.gif
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Whaaaa

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    virtue signaling:
    20170522__23FTdiesel_driversw~1.jpg

This actually is a good example of virtue signalling

Just not the virtues we'd think.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I didn’t like the first McGriddle I had but this fourth one of the weekend is hitting the spot

It is basically kryptonite to me.

Also, you can ask for a real egg on the McGriddle and its much better

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

Negative XP

omg desc has been into 40K for like a month and he's already a tyrant......

Sorry to anyone who identifies as Alignmentfluid but there's only two alignments:

Imperial Obedient
    Heretic Flammable

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I didn’t like the first McGriddle I had but this fourth one of the weekend is hitting the spot

It is basically kryptonite to me.

Also, you can ask for a real egg on the McGriddle and its much better

It comes default with real egg now here in Canada makes it infinity times better.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2017
    hmm so stressed about test tonight that i am having legit elephant-on-chest weight, the way i've had a heart attack described to me

goal 1 for today: pass exam
    goal 2 for today: don't get so amped up and anxious that i literally die

Organichu on
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmm so stressed about test tonight that i am having legit elephant-on-chest weight, the way i've had a heart attack described to me

goal 1 for today: pass exam
    goal 2 for today: don't get so amped up and anxious that i literally die

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ~CHUBERT TAKE MY ENERGY~ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    How bout that taco bell naked egg breakfast burrito.

What a time to be alive.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Pg 100.

Highway to the danger zone.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    "performative allyship" etc

the success of "virtue signalling" as a pejorative probably does say something about how weak the theocons are amongst the right tent

aRkpc.gif
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    How bout that taco bell naked egg breakfast burrito.

What a time to be alive.

to reach this pinnacle of civilization the price we had to pay was the 2016 election

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2017
    BK has a "farmhouse king" burger that has a fried egg on top.

Supposed to look like this:

agphu96arzrl.jpg

Looks like this tho:

48kyh917yuxo.jpg

s9oc901m7om7.jpg

c'mon buddy

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    We're so far into page 100 Tinkles

I would eat either of those, Synd

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    being forced to play a PF Brawler is probably the bigger sin.

ITs a cool class, but its definitely one that has a lot of moving parts that's literally requires good system mastery, and not something I'd want to be forced to play if I didn't want to play it.

This discussion has been closed.