As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] Morrowind! Jade Empire! Panzer Dragoon! Oh and the best version of RDR!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    huh... so apparently now if you leave your xbox idle long enough instead or in addition to darkening the screen and showing the time, it will display various notifications from places, including the store.

Yeah, you can customize it to some limited away--also hold down Y to bring up specific stuff, like an installed game.

Gave Battlefront II a rental. The fighter missions were fun. Everything is kind of mediocre shooting with lots of flashing lights.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That sale has some good deals, but regrettably, most of what I’m interested in is on 360 and not backwards compatible, including Mortal Kombat and a bunch of Capcom stuff. =\

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    depending on the game, it may go BC at some point?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm surprised MK hasn't.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Microsoft just refunded me all $90 I spent on Marvel Heroes. Good on them.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    depending on the game, it may go BC at some point?

Maybe, but I’m unfortunately not in a great position nor otherwise inclined to shell out a fair chunk of change on a “maybe.”

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Microsoft just refunded me all $90 I spent on Marvel Heroes. Good on them.

You guys should absolutely get refunds. I spent money on the PC version, but got to play for a few years.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Without EA Access, many players wouldn't have become fed up with the in-game content until they'd already paid for it.

Can EA continue to take these PR hits by way of EA Access? They've certainly absorbed most criticism before and there's been plenty. But as varied as their recent games' struggles have been, they've all shared one common denominator: they were revealed ahead of launch. If this is having any sort of measurable effect on EA's bottom line, I expect them to fix that for themselves even to the detriment of consumers. They'll still deal with the fallout of launching bad games whenever they don't launch good ones, but in their eyes, if we're going to find out that their games have major problems, they'd probably prefer we pay them first.

Why do you do this to yourself, Donuts?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I don't know why I waited this long to finally play Guacamelee. It's awesome.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I hope Battlefront 2 ends up as a loss for EA because fuck trying to normalize pay2win micros in already overpriced games.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't know why I waited this long to finally play Guacamelee. It's awesome.

It's my favorite Metroidvania

I'm so happy it's getting a sequel

• Options
    Redbox'd Destiny 2 after Battlefront II....the shooting is good (especially given it's 30 FPS versus the 60 FPS), but good lord is the writing terrible. Every time someone talks that isn't Cade being a smart-ass it's a little painful, and any time anyone talks of something of substance, I have to think "My God, this is what people wanted? This story? Holy crap, it's making the Halo series sound look like Maxim Gorky. The recent ones."

I almost wish no one ever talked about anything ever, and that the entire "story" was just a navigation point where I was supposed to go, shoot people, and go to the next point. But I never played the first game beyond the beta, and I understand that the absence of any story, much less a coherent one (which the sequel didn't seem to improve on) was a serious strike against the game until it was...remedied?...in the later expansion. But man, I found myself skipping cinematics after the introduction that was in the beta. At least none of the characters are immediately unpleasant to listen to, a reoccurring problem in Killzone, but the story itself is.

The game itself looks good (on Xbox One X), and handles good, even if I personally don't like loot games (excluding Diablo III). Didn't go into the multiplayer, I don't need to reminded of how bad I am at PvP. The shooting is, without a doubt, much more substantial and competent than Battlefront II, but I ended just playing Starfighter Assault 90% of my rental in that game.

Apparently the line is, "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain [because everyone totally sucks at explaining anything]."

• Options
    edited November 2017
    This Xbox 360 sales chart is interesting:

18Nov-Xbox360-charts.jpg

All those Lego titles... achievement hunters at work?

Also, Battlefront II placed second in sales this week (Same people, charts is on Xboxachievements), beaten only by CoD: WW II.

Also, Synthy I am tempted to quote and forward your HERESY to the Destiny 2 thread. :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Also, Synthy I am tempted to quote and forward your HERESY to the Destiny 2 thread. :P

You do what you feel you must. I won't be held responsible for your actions. :P It's not my fault everyone talks like Keith David in Halo 5 all the time, especially when I can recognize some of the real talent behind the characters themselves.

The Lego choices are curious--I wonder if that's a case of "Young children whose parents did not buy them a new console", and those titles appeal to them (corresponding with movie releases). Everything else is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. I'd like to see the same for PS3 data in the UK or the US, if that's collected (the PS3 died even harder than the Xbox 360)

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    This Xbox 360 sales chart is interesting:
    18Nov-Xbox360-charts.jpg

All those Lego titles... achievement hunters at work?

Also, Battlefront II placed second in sales this week (Same people, charts is on Xboxachievements), beaten only by CoD: WW II.

possibly a sign of the console being handed down to a younger generation as people upgrade to current gen hardware? Bully and GTA4 showing is no doubt a product of backwards compatibility though.

• Options
    yeah, it's probably that more than anything, what with Minecraft being up there too.

• Options
    Minecraft Story Mode being on sale is a given too.

Like an idiot, I failed to predict the sale, and bought the first volume for $10 online--only episodes 1 through 5 (with 1 being free in the first place). I'm probably going to end up buying 6 - 8 for $3 anyway, I could've gotten them all digitally for $9.

Stupid, stupid. I guess I can hope I can resell the physical copy for a couple bucks after the sale ends, I really doubt I'd ever replay them.

• Options
    Minecraft Story Mode just seems like a thing that doesn't make sense to me. Like, I don't get Minecraft either, so IDK. Maybe I should give it a shot? I wound up buying Destiny 2 digital + pass. to wrap up that $125 that I bought, so IDK.

TT Lego games have really grown from being quick 1000 points though. I'm only 50% through Lego SW: TFA, and it's like... man. I don't mind because they're interesting to play but they really have fleshed them out over the iterations.

• Options
    Minecraft Story Mode just seems like a thing that doesn't make sense to me. Like, I don't get Minecraft either, so IDK. Maybe I should give it a shot? I wound up buying Destiny 2 digital + pass. to wrap up that $125 that I bought, so IDK.

It only makes sense if you like Telltale games.

I have never watched a single episode of The Walking Dead, never read the Fables comics, and never played a Borderlands game, but I've played all of the Telltale games for all three as entertaining ways to pass the time. At the same time, not all of the series are successes--I watch Game of Thrones, but I doubt I'll ever play more than the first free episode in that series.

In Minecraft's case, it is a genuinely original story (which uses some of the cultural memes and common experiences of the Minecraft fandom--I'm surprised Herobrine never made an appearance. And it's fun, in a Young Adult adventure novel kind of way.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

I know, it seems so counter-intuitive, but then who thought Mario needed an RPG? But then it happened and it was amazing, so

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Also Guacamelee is fantastic

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Telltale Minecraft season 1 is a fun little adventure and I enjoyed the post-season episodes.

Season 2 feels phoned in, so I'd skip it.

• Options
    Everyone should get Prey.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't dig Prey. I enjoyed the BioShock-like atmosphere, but it was so slow and boring.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Bioshock and Bioshock infinite never clicked with me, though I did make myself beat both of them (and was widely tired and bored by the end of both of them), so I just skipped Prey after watching AH's Let's Plays.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Telltale Minecraft season 1 is a fun little adventure and I enjoyed the post-season episodes.

Season 2 is bad? I was waffling on picking it up on the Black Friday sale...

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Season 2 is bad? I was waffling on picking it up on the Black Friday sale...

I would call it mediocre, rather than bad. I enjoy it more than Walking Dead season 2 or Game of Thrones. Those games were a chore to complete.

I can't really elaborate without spoiling it, but it's just a more contrived, less interesting story, and a disappointing followup to the first season. I wish I got it on sale rather than full price.

• Options
    I'm confused, why do the Black Friday deals say they're expiring in 50 minutes?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I'm confused, why do the Black Friday deals say they're expiring in 50 minutes?

I'm assuming that the "Black Friday preview" sale is ending in 50 minute, and they'll come back on the actual holiday because marketing people do stupid things like that?

• Options
    The prices shouldn't be changing, right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    they may change and then revert back to the sale during the actual Black Friday weekend... because... reasons.

Per Major Nelson's post:

This year Xbox Store is bringing you our biggest Black Friday sale ever. Deals begin on November 22 across games, movies & TV, music and apps. With hundreds of titles on sale, find everything you need for the holidays to enjoy and share with family and friends. Plus, Xbox Live Gold members get additional savings and early access to the deals starting November 18.

https://majornelson.com/2016/11/18/black-friday-xbox-digital-game-deals-and-more/

edit:

Sorry thats 2016’s. thanks bing. posting on the way out the door. (dates didnt add up so Im updating via phone)
    Starting today, Xbox Live Gold members can take advantage of great deals on Xbox digital games during the Black Friday Gold Early Access sale. Xbox Live Gold members enjoy an exclusive 4-day head start on Black Friday, with savings up to 65% on Xbox digital games, movies, and TV shows. Plus, Xbox Live Gold members receive up to 10% more in savings on top of existing Black Friday game deals. Gold Early Access lasts until November 20, so now’s a great time to find that perfect gift for yourself, friends, or family.

https://majornelson.com/2017/11/16/xbox-live-gold-members-can-now-get-a-jump-start-on-black-friday-savings/amp/

2017’s explaining its till the 20th then black friday

edit2:

I just checked the store and at hte very least, Minecraft: Story Mode has 8 days remaining at 70% off... hmm.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Okay this new "highlight stuff" when your Xbox is just idling...

Huge blue banner covering 50% of the TV - FOREVERENDER IS PLAYING SOUTH PARK FRACTURED BUT WHOLE

My living room suddenly turned blue and I was like, what the fuck is that?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

Huge blue banner covering 50% of the TV - FOREVERENDER IS PLAYING SOUTH PARK FRACTURED BUT WHOLE

I like that it tells you to press buttons to find out more about it... obviously a trap.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, Shadow of War shows no discount in list view, but $24-$30 off when clicked in the store.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Just a heads up, Shadow of War shows no discount in list view, but $24-$30 off when clicked in the store.

did it show as 8 days remaining?

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

I like that it tells you to press buttons to find out more about it... obviously a trap.

Would you like to know more about my Fractured But Whole ?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    unsure, doesn't show now

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well crap... The list of games I want to scoop up just keeps growing. So, I loaded Titanfall 2 PC tonight and had a blast in Frontier Defense...which just made me want to pick up the Xbone version. Then there's The Division (which, so sue me, I do still have fun playing on PC). But then I just found out that Okami HD is coming out soon and is going to be 1X enhanced.

Curse this most tempting of times of year!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Well crap... The list of games I want to scoop up just keeps growing. So, I loaded Titanfall 2 PC tonight and had a blast in Frontier Defense...which just made me want to pick up the Xbone version. Then there's The Division (which, so sue me, I do still have fun playing on PC). But then I just found out that Okami HD is coming out soon and is going to be 1X enhanced.

Curse this most tempting of times of year!

For stuff like TF2 or anything else EA, I'd just drop 30 bucks for a year of EA Access. Doesn't come with DLC, but it's all-you-can-play otherwise on vaulted games, and I have definitely, definitely gotten my money's worth at this point, even aside from the discounts and whatever.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Has anyone here who played Hitman on PC moved onto the Xbox One X?

I'm seriously considering grabbing the GOTY edition on console for achievements and to see how it looks by comparison, but I've gotten so used to playing Hitman as a series on PC...the last one I played on consoles was Hitman 2 way back on the old Xbox.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I thought it was heavily discounted, but it's $60....the upgrade on PC would would be $20 from what I already bought. Heh, hard sell considering it's one mission and a few new outfits. At least on console I'd be getting all the episodes.

It's not one mission! It's 4 new campaign missions (on remixed old maps), new costumes, new escalations, stuff like that. Worth the 20 bucks as far as I'm concerned, I've gotten a lot out of it already. Plus they are running the elusive targets again!

This discussion has been closed.