As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] Morrowind! Jade Empire! Panzer Dragoon! Oh and the best version of RDR!

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited April 2018 in Games and Technology
5kx5gjtj6qrh.png
Hey everyone!

It's the Xbox Live and general Xbox gaming thread! Here we talk about UI revisions, backwards compatibility, timed "exclusivity", and what happens when you actually advertise a mid-generation console update instead of pretending it doesn't exist! Whee!

Games with Gold
For those with the paid XBL membership "Xbox Live Gold", four free titles are made available for download for limited timed--two on Xbox One (which require continued membership) and two on Xbox 360 (which are yours in perpetuity). Additionally, all Xbox 360 titles are among the backwards compatible (more on that below).

Xbox Game Pass
Alongside the similar service EA Access, Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft's own subscription gaming catalog service ("Netflix for video games") has over a 100 titles presently, making it attractive for those of us who prefer an all digital library and go through games quickly. There is no limit on how many games you can download and install from it, and access is for as long as the subscription holds--permanent purchases made from the catalog are discounted 20%, and DLC by 10% It does not require Xbox Live Gold (though you would need that for multiplayer access). As an added bonus, beginning in March Xbox exclusives will now be included in the Game Pass library, starting with Sea of Thieves.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility with the Xbox
No, no, not the Xbox 360. That's old news. In addition to more than four hundred Xbox 360 titles, a whopping thirteen titles from the original 2001 Xbox console are now playable on the Xbox One--with some visual upgrades (such as resolution bumps to 1080p, not capable on the original console). They work the same way as Xbox 360 titles, do not have additional achievements, and can be purchased from the Xbox website or played from a physical disc (break out your old libraries!).

https://youtu.be/Hd8nYLO43zs

The Xbox One X (previously "Project Scorpio")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJmWsgFl6kA&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfAz3SH64BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobWLB_zqj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvDaDmMbfcQ

Penny Arcade Forums' Game Clubs

Pax Arcadia
Arcade Squad (Gears of War series)
The Bees Knees (Halo series)

Additionally, you can find the forums Xbox Live gamertag list here, and the form to sign up here.

Synthesis on

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    How's State Of Decay for the XB1? Is it worth it's 9.90 sale price at the moment?

@Owenashi - I thought that State of Decay on the XB 1 was cool. It's base game plus the two expansions, and when I played it I wasn't plagued with hordes everywhere. I didn't complete the escape van mode thing because I didn't like it on the xbox 360 version either.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    How's State Of Decay for the XB1? Is it worth it's 9.90 sale price at the moment?

@Owenashi - I thought that State of Decay on the XB 1 was cool. It's base game plus the two expansions, and when I played it I wasn't plagued with hordes everywhere. I didn't complete the escape van mode thing because I didn't like it on the xbox 360 version either.

I've never played it--it came out at a time where I was extremely tired by the zombie genre, though I know it did some cool things with survival and organization.

Though it's a completely different game, I haven't played RE7 either. I watched enough to realize it wasn't going to scare me, so it got put on the shelf along with all the other shooters of the same time period that I missed.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Finally got off my butt and got a 4TB external drive. I'm in the process of copying everything over to it so I'm ready for when my X shows up. Plus it's soothing to go from 220GB free to 3.8TB.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I did not see this new thread.
    Sirialis wrote: »
    There is still a bunch of achievement list/game list QoL improvements they havent seemed to bother putting on the Xboner that the X360 had for years.

Apparently Microsoft is adding one of my most wanted features back. (almost, since hide isnt removal)

CVRQEhzl.jpg

The ability to remove edit: hide 0% games from your list. (also Beta's and the like)

I know a bunch of you probably wont care much but those 0 percentages cluttering up my list annoy me to no end.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n30312/alpha-ring-xbox-insiders-can-now-remove-0-gamerscore-games-from-their-profiles

• Options
    Finally got off my butt and got a 4TB external drive. I'm in the process of copying everything over to it so I'm ready for when my X shows up. Plus it's soothing to go from 220GB free to 3.8TB.

Digital Foundry has some very impressive videos about comparative speeds of external drives, conventional, SSD and hybrid. With both the PS4 and Xbox One, if you're using a USB drive, more than half of the a typical SSD could be gained using a much cheaper hybrid drive due to the restrictions of USB 3.0.

Budget permitting, I would like to replace my 2 TB 7200 RPM with a hybrid drive. But as it stands I come close to filling that with all the free games--the XB1X has faster internal drive access speeds anyway.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I just noticed today that the store's new logo has the the colored windows whereas it used to be just black and white. I get that they want it to more easily be associated with windows in the PC, but it looks really tacky.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I've been on the lookout for a deal on one. I saw 4TB the other day at best buy for 99.99. Should I have went for that? Or have they gone lower?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

I've been on the lookout for a deal on one. I saw 4TB the other day at best buy for 99.99. Should I have went for that? Or have they gone lower?

Mine was a Western Digital from Amazon for $104, so $99 sounds like a good deal.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Digital Foundry has some very impressive videos about comparative speeds of external drives, conventional, SSD and hybrid. With both the PS4 and Xbox One, if you're using a USB drive, more than half of the a typical SSD could be gained using a much cheaper hybrid drive due to the restrictions of USB 3.0.

Budget permitting, I would like to replace my 2 TB 7200 RPM with a hybrid drive. But as it stands I come close to filling that with all the free games--the XB1X has faster internal drive access speeds anyway.

I went with a small portable drive which I'm guessing is just a 5400 rpm drive but I was more worried about space than speed. I might look at getting a fast drive in the future. With the size of games now 'too much space' isn't really a thing.

• Options

I went with a small portable drive which I'm guessing is just a 5400 rpm drive but I was more worried about space than speed. I might look at getting a fast drive in the future. With the size of games now 'too much space' isn't really a thing.

Of course, real estate is the primary concern, and there are lots of perfectly suitable 5400 RPM drives. 7200 RPM drives are, in fact, kind of a pain since they're larger and they require additional power (all the ones I've seen so far). On top of that they're a little louder. But a 7200 RPM drive is faster than any drive in the Xbox One or Playstation 4 (excluding that one Xbox SKU with a hybrid drive).

• Options
    hmm... full season of The Walking Dead: Not Clementine Season is on sale for 12.50...

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Man, one thing about Xbox One X: it may be smaller, but I'm pretty sure the it's heavier, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Man, one thing about Xbox One X: it may be smaller, but I'm pretty sure the it's heavier, too.

Xbox One: 7 lbs

Xbox One S: 6.4 lbs

Xbox One X: 8.4 lbs

Roughly.

• Options
    It indeed is. According to CNET, the Playstation 4 Pro 7.3 lb--even more than the original Xbox One.

It's a monster next to the XB1X, but it's still lighter. My guess is the cooling mechanism. The Giant Beastcast got theirs and all they could bother mentioning about it was how heavy it is...then again, it is the Giant Beastcast.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    its like an interesting factoid but when its something thats basically going to be sitting permanently on my cabinet I couldnt really give a rats ass if its a pound or so heavier.

I hope a lot of companies start coming out with the exact date of their updates. Im super interested in when the Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 updates will come out

Prohass on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It indeed is. According to CNET, the Playstation 4 Pro 7.3 lb--even more than the original Xbox One.

It's a monster next to the XB1X, but it's still lighter. My guess is the cooling mechanism. The Giant Beastcast got theirs and all they could bother mentioning about it was how heavy it is...then again, it is the Giant Beastcast.

I'm pretty sure there's an embargo right now. You basically can't talk about anything involving actually running the console itself.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Indeed. That, or unboxing is about all you can do.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Oh man, I forgot how crisp and neat Lego: The Force Awakens looks. Hopefully Lego Marvel Avengers has the same quality (they came out the same year).

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure there's an embargo right now. You basically can't talk about anything involving actually running the console itself.

I don't see why.... I mean, that's pretty dumb unless there's some serious launch day patch stuff coming out that they don't want people who have the system already complaining about.

Otherwise, for all the power and upscaling stuff we already know about (in some fashion or another), it's still just an XB1.

Unless there's a major unknown included with it they want to keep silent about... which would be cool sure, but I'd think the hype of talking about any hypothetical thing like that would be worth more than the sudden surprise reveal of waiting till launch day.

• Options
    Im not 100% but arent all the updates for the major games (like gears of war and forza) not quite out yet? Or like still being updated continually before launch? They might just want reviewers to hold off until more of those updates are put up. Though im not sure if they are already out for some games? It is very confusing.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh man, I forgot how crisp and neat Lego: The Force Awakens looks. Hopefully Lego Marvel Avengers has the same quality (they came out the same year).

They do not, sadly

Lego Marvel Avengers has a generally muddy look (especially in its environments) and all the dialogue is poorly-edited-in recycled sound clips from the films. It was the first truly disappointing Lego title for me. TFA was much better, and I'm still hopeful about Lego Marvel 2 in November, mainly because I still consider the first Lego Marvel to be the best Lego game

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Im not 100% but arent all the updates for the major games (like gears of war and forza) not quite out yet? Or like still being updated continually before launch? They might just want reviewers to hold off until more of those updates are put up. Though im not sure if they are already out for some games? It is very confusing.

That's what I mean... it's no secret updates for lots of games are in the works... the exact details of every game may not be... but it's not like they are going to launch the system with an update to a game and everyone is going to say, "OH MY GOD, AMAZING AND UNEXPECTED!". It's pretty much what the console is for. Unless it's having some major issues, but even if they are, if MS is working on them, they have been crazy good at updates to their systems, so I feel like most would give them the benefit of the doubt on having the kinks worked out by launch.

I just see it as a case where what little they might have to gain by being quiet is far less than they have to lose by doing so.

• Options
    might be just a simple case of them being overcautious and trying to avoid negative press before launch. Which would be dumb yeah

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It’s also probably that every one of those updates will have to go through MS Cert. I can’t imagine the queue of work those people have waiting for them right now.

• Options

They do not, sadly

Lego Marvel Avengers has a generally muddy look (especially in its environments) and all the dialogue is poorly-edited-in recycled sound clips from the films. It was the first truly disappointing Lego title for me. TFA was much better, and I'm still hopeful about Lego Marvel 2 in November, mainly because I still consider the first Lego Marvel to be the best Lego game

Really? Are you playing it on the One S or standard? On a 4k TV?

Some of the new dialogue in Lego: TFA sounds like they recorded it with the person too far away from the mic... Rey's is particularly noticeable.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hey, if you wanna play some games and don't mind Gamestop, they're going to start a rental program next month: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/27/gamestop-flyer-shows-power-pass-rental-program/

If you're a Powerup Rewards member, you can drop $60 and then for the next 6 months take out any used game from the store, and when you're done just bring it back and grab another, like Gamefly or Netflix. You can do this for 6 months, and at the end you get to keep the last game you checked out. They've been testing programs like this over the past year or two, like the Summer Swap program earlier this year in limited markets, hopefully this one is nationwide.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That's a badass idea I'm sure publishers and devs hate and will try to sabotage with annoying practices

• Options
    That's a badass idea I'm sure publishers and devs hate and will try to sabotage with annoying practices
    No need. Digital is doing it for them.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I agree because I buy almost everything digital, I feel like the PSN Plus/GwG programs and EA Pass/Game Pass are just so much more convenient. That being said I like that they let you keep a game at the end of the 6 months.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    hmm... full season of The Walking Dead: Not Clementine Season is on sale for 12.50...

New Frontier is pretty good. It's kinda like Season 1 where you kinda just have Clem off to the side, but your choices still help shape her as a person.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

New Frontier is pretty good. It's kinda like Season 1 where you kinda just have Clem off to the side, but your choices still help shape her as a person.

The central character, Javi, is very different from Clementine and likable in his own right, though the writing does seem weaker overall (and once again, the game engine is really showing its age). I'm glad Clementine's coming back for the final season (frankly, I think she only gets more badass the older she gets) though I do hope Javi and the survivors make appearances.

• Options
    I forgot if I bought it or not. I think I bought some underwater game. Kind of bummed there isn't any cross play. I think I'll 1) check to see if I bought it and 2) buy the win10 version if I haven't then.

Kind of burned out on piecemeal/episodic games lately.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Digital for me usually means that version is 10-20+ $ more expensive than its physical version, even on games release date. (South Park The Fractured But Whole, Wolfenstein 2, Assassin's Creed Origins etc. were recent examples of this.)

The way digital games is priced right now makes them entirely forgettable, I pretty much only pay attention to digital sales during the one or two weeks a year where Xbox do some decent discounts.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Digital for me usually means that version is 10-20+ $ more expensive than its physical version, even on games release date. (South Park The Fractured But Whole, Wolfenstein 2, Assassin's Creed Origins etc. were recent examples of this.)

The way digital games is priced right now makes them entirely forgettable, I pretty much only pay attention to digital sales during the one or two weeks a year where Xbox do some decent discounts.

The fact that selling games on eBay or elsewhere is absurdly easy now reinforces that further. It's become, "Well, I can pay $40 for an digital only title, and all I need to do is wait for it to download." versus "Well, I can pay $30 for a physical copy, all I have to do is wait for it to come in the mail. Also when I get bored of it and want that tiny bit of space back, I can sell it for $15."

I really only buy digital if that's the only way it's available, or if there's some absurdly good deal on it (for example, if it's free).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    And that is why DLC and season passes became a thing.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    That being the sole reason DLC became a thing doesn't really account for day 1 DLC or micro transactions. Those are mostly targeted at double dipping on the people who buy new.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    It's a column A, column B situation.

There were those activation codes that you would buy to activate online features for games as a means to account for the second hand sales for a while, too.

• Options
    It's a column A, column B situation.

There were those activation codes that you would buy to activate online features for games as a means to account for the second hand sales for a while, too.

Those died super quickly.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    That you had to pay extra for a day 1 DLC to get the prothean team member in Mass Effect 3 was such bullshit.

I never got him and I bought the game on release day.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    And that is why DLC and season passes became a thing.

And they're still aren't enough, as the last news cycle has made abundantly clear.

This discussion has been closed.