As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] Morrowind! Jade Empire! Panzer Dragoon! Oh and the best version of RDR!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    As tasty mentioned, I'm curious how this will affect current avatars and all of our stuff

Who makes all that stuff, like the items you get from in-game achievements? The game dev for MS approval? I can't imagine either the dev or MS going back and updating all of those. Will we be able to just put the older looking props on our newer looking Avatar?

I better not lose my Megatron head

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    True, though I think that stuff was all handled by Rare, right? Not sure how avatar awards and clothing will be brought forward if the new avatars are so much different. That being said I would like my L4D2 avatar awards.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The crappy paintball games? The silly snowball fight game? Motherloving Comedy Night?? Pure gaming gold. Not to mention all those beautiful Zeboyd titles.

You're forgetting the masterpiece that was A Kingdom for Keflings.

Artificial/strawman/whatever controversy aside, I'm generally happy for the update, for a lot of the same reasons I was happy for the original avatar update on Xbox 360 that made them usable in games (mostly by shrinking down their enormous heads and extending their limbs and bodies). I'm not sure what MS has planned for these in Windows 10 that isn't simple a mirror of what it is on Xbox, and what they're going to do with them on Xbox, but they might as well give them a proper visual overhaul (into Unity, was it?) at this point, instead of just leaving them as artifacts of the past.

• Options
    MS announces Xbox PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds in-preview has 5 million unique players.

Someone ought to tell them they've paid money to play a completely unplayable piece of trash. The guy who was telling Steam the same thing sounds like a good bet. :lol:

• Options
    To be fair it has improved immensely recently, well... for us lucky 1X owners anyway

• Options
    I'd actually like to see the portion of that 5 million who are on Xbox One X.

(Conversely, I know not every Xbox One X owner has the in-preview game. To start, I don't.)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't either, but I care not for BR style games to begin with.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's a pretty unfair advantage in game. You load in faster, are able to pick up items faster, and just general FPS uptick. My friend on a vanilla Xbox has to be careful where he lands because often stairs and other things won't load in for him upon landing.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To be fair it has improved immensely recently, well... for us lucky 1X owners anyway

Also, the main difference between the Steam version and the Xbone version that makes the Xbone version an immensely better experience is the lack of lootbox items that can be sold on the Steam Marketplace...thereby removing the incentive for people to exploit/cheat to maximize profits from their lootbox contents.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Yeah theres no cheating I have seen on Xbone, which is pretty major. I'll take the hit to fidelity and FPS for a game with no hackers.

• Options
    And it's not as though the same issues--slow response time for reloading or opening doors, stairs failing to appear--don't arise if you're unlucky enough to be playing the game on a GTX 960 for example (just to use the case of someone who I know own the game on PC and struggles with it).

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    True, though I think that stuff was all handled by Rare, right? Not sure how avatar awards and clothing will be brought forward if the new avatars are so much different. That being said I would like my L4D2 avatar awards.

I remember when they used to have random Avatar awards tied to ads on the 360 dashboard. I reloaded the dashboard so much to get my The Worlverine: Silver Samurai armor and enjoy the bonus of free Mercy Wings I got (for some reason). So I've been rocking a Cyborg Angel for quite some time now. I hope if they revamp the Avatars I don't lose any of my old stuff because historically I have combinations of awarded costumes I've used over time.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »
    And it's not as though the same issues--slow response time for reloading or opening doors, stairs failing to appear--don't arise if you're unlucky enough to be playing the game on a GTX 960 for example (just to use the case of someone who I know own the game on PC and struggles with it).
    And that is why I stopped upgrading my gaming rig and solely game on my console. Upgrades? Pssssh!

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    And that is why I stopped upgrading my gaming rig and solely game on my console. Upgrades? Pssssh!

Little did you know to expect the horror of intermediate console upgrades.
    That cost as much as a mid-to-high end video card alone does.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Crypto currency kinda turned that reality on its head, though. A 1070ti is like 700-900 bucks on Amazon.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Crypto currency kinda turned that reality on its head, though. A 1070ti is like 700-900 bucks on Amazon.

Even before that, the GTX 970 was comfortably over $300 for a very long time. When the XB1X came out, $500 was not an unusual price point for a good gaming GPU (suited for 1440p or 2160p certainly), there were still $900 very high end video cards back when bitcoin was only the but of jokes and not a financial path.

Something, something, something teraflops.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For the avatars, I presume your existing one will just be converted into the new system and any old props will be enhanced to match the new level of quality through basic automatic processes rather than by hand.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ......I thought the avatars were already updated.....

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Nope. The update was originally announced as coming out last year but never materialized.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Woah just realised i had a lot of points to redeem, got 20 bucks worth of gift cards and a 12 month live subscription, that's like 100 bucks Australian. Sweet

Also I noticed that I'm somehow on auto-renew for my live subscription, how do I turn that off?

Prohass on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Woah just realised i had a lot of points to redeem, got 20 bucks worth of gift cards and a 12 month live subscription, that's like 100 bucks Australian. Sweet

Also I noticed that I'm somehow on auto-renew for my live subscription, how do I turn that off?

You should be able to do that on the website. Not sure why you can't directly on the xbox

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

They're updated from the original avatars years ago, but not to this tech.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Where in the god damn hell is that minecraft texture pack theyeve been promising forever. How long can it possibly take

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

You should be able to do that on the website. Not sure why you can't directly on the xbox

Because companies want to make it as hard as possible to unsubscribe and forcing you to go to the webpage is one of the ways they accomplish that.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'll be a bit upset if I can't keep my Avatar's cat. And his hat.

Still hope this doesn't adversely affect older Avatar games, like Sonic ASR Transformed.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Opty wrote: »

Because companies want to make it as hard as possible to unsubscribe and forcing you to go to the webpage is one of the ways they accomplish that.

Pretty sure Microsoft have also been caught hiding the "unsubscribe" button on the webpage itself more than once in the past.

This is one of the reasons I dont like having my CC saved.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I've only ever owned 1 version of a console, usually the launch version. Yeah, the newer versions are better, but I already have my console and it runs fine. The problem I had with my gaming PC is that I built it on a low budget. That means I had to upgrade parts every once in a while, and usually 1 part meant another part as well. Back when I was actually still upgrading my PC, a 2GB video card was $300 and an 80GB SSD was over $250. At that point, you could buy a console. It just became too expensive for me to keep up when I could just own an Xbox and be set.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

Pretty sure Microsoft have also been caught hiding the "unsubscribe" button on the webpage itself more than once in the past.

I usually have 3 years of Xbox live saved up at a time. I find a great deal, I buy a year for something like $35, then pile it on top of my current subscription. You can store up to 3 years, so I never run into the problem of auto-renewal.

Since I'm pure digital, having my CC saved is kind of important, lest I want to enter that information every single time, which I do not, because it is crazy annoying.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

I usually have 3 years of Xbox live saved up at a time. I find a great deal, I buy a year for something like $35, then pile it on top of my current subscription. You can store up to 3 years, so I never run into the problem of auto-renewal.

Since I'm pure digital, having my CC saved is kind of important, lest I want to enter that information every single time, which I do not, because it is crazy annoying.

I'm not all digital (though even I have +180 Xbox One titles, and less than 30 physical games), but I have my CC information saved with Microsoft (also for occasional Windows 10 store purchases, etc.) along with ~$150 store credit (mostly from having bought gift cards on sale). That being said, after the sort of fuck-ups demonstrated most infamously by Sony and to a lesser extent Steam and further less Microsoft itself, I really don't fault anyone for not wanting to save their credit card information with a company. I'm borrowing a PS4 right now, and excluding the couple dollars in store credit I have on PSN, the last CC I gave them expired years ago.

It does mean you need to do it on the website--or at least, that's how I've seen it done in the past--rather than the console.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I have my PayPal account stored for making purchases from the Xbox store, seems easier to deal with if there's ever an issue compared to a CC.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I've never dealt with Paypal over charging issues (they have a mixed reputation, but I've used them for years with very little issue).

By contrast, I end up calling Chase or Capital One once a month for whatever dumb issue (thankfully not an overcharge, most recently it was the terribleness that was Android Pay), and I'm familiar enough with them to think of it as a valid recourse. Though more likely I'd just call Xbox directly.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Tera Beta is up until Sat. The level cap is increased and blah blah blah.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

And play anytime during the window and you'll unlock a blue angel halo for your character after release.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think this Superhot game might be ok.

• Options

I need to sit down and actually play that. All I did was install it and play with the character editor, trying to make Pirotess from Record of Lodoss War.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I think this Superhot game might be ok.

I need to grab that when I get home. Being a shorter game, I may actually get through it

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Superhot is one of my favourite games of all time. It's a rare game that feels like something completely different than anything else out there, and it nails what it's trying to do marvelously. I may even replay it on Xbox to get those achievements.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Superhot is ... a rare game that feels like something completely different than anything else out there

So what you're saying is that Superhot is the most innovative shooter you've played in years?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Had some weird behavior out of my Xbox last night. We'd been watching Thor on blue ray on Wednesday but didn't finish it. Go to fire up the blue ray app last night and the Xbox crashes. Screen goes black for a bit and then it shuts off and restarts itself. When it came back up my profile was logged out and I had to log back in, which I've never had happen, and the movie plays fine. Just had to manually get back to where we left off. Cut to this morning and the controller i was using last night had dead batteries. No biggie I just grab my second one except it's not synced with the Xbox any more and it won't sync at all. So i power cycle the Xbox and when it comes back up the controller is already synced.

• Options
    I've had sync issues with my controllers lately. It's an older 1 and controllers aren't bluetooth. My newer 1 with bluetooth hasn't had the same issue

This discussion has been closed.