As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cthulhu Wars - Game: 2

• Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    3 -> 2 (I think this is right, we got +1 power right?
    Correct

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It may be worth reading the other game. We didn't play the expansion races but I think we got the base strategy for the main races. May Cthulhu roll better than I did

• Options
    Just to make this clear to everyone: You cannot win unless you have all of your spell books. (Plus the most Doom points.)

• Options
    Also, @NotoriusBEN is up as Yellow Sign.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    screaming dead to europe since noone wants to give me power.

1->0

@MrBody

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'm....not sure how I feel about the host feeding exact counters to everyone's plays as they happen. I would have just played conservatively if I knew that was the case.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    For reals. I wanted that power. Maybe you coulda seen a turn one opener doing his thing if you didnt talk about the counter

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I mean I appreciate hosting the game, but neutral rules clarifications should be the limit of player aid. An explanation for jdark about capturing, blocking, and spellbooks would have been fine. Other players trying to ruin plays is fine because we're competing and trying to cut each other's throats.

Jdark. The 6 conditions on your faction sheet earn you 1 spellbook of your choice as you fulfill them. Think of spellbooks like the upgrades in Chaos in the Old World.

The nightgaunt abduction ability only applies to a battle.

Monsters or great old ones can capture cultists. The presence of monsters block other monsters from capturing, but not great old ones. Great old ones block anything from capturing.

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I'm....not sure how I feel about the host feeding exact counters to everyone's plays as they happen. I would have just played conservatively if I knew that was the case.
    Awww. He's new, and you were about to ruin him.. :(

That said, I apologise if I ruined your fun. I won't give any play advice.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    That said, I don't have the 2 power for my cheapest monster to block the nightgaunt, and I certainly can't take Nylarlathotep's word that he won't capture cultists if I don't, so my only choice is

Move South Asia gate to West Africa

1->0

You can capture my cultists or move to block and save the gate from being captured.

@keytar

MrBody on
  • Options
    That said, I don't have the 2 power for my cheapest monster to block the nightgaunt
    But you do. Sleeper gave everyone 1 power which bumped you up to 2.

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    @MrBody don't forget that when you take the gate, the cultist comes with it, so you'll need to battle it off or capture it to control it with your own cultist. Since you had 2 power left, that is definitely an option; alternatively, you can afford to summon a mutant to block captures.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'll give MrBody a chance to revise things based on the extra power if desired before I go ahead.

• Options
    Not a big deal to reboot:
    - Would appease @NotoriusBEN and @MrBody
    - New players would have a better idea of what to watch out for
    - I could keep my big nose out of it

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm not going to rob mrbody of his perfect turn. I will play this game out as it is

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    @NotoriusBEN , what power were you referring to in your posts above?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Chaos would fly over to my cultists, turn rolls around I still have one power, I immediately give Chaos 3 Doom points and enlist passion as a Spellbook. Chaos steals my cultist, I'm pumped up to 2 power.

It would have been a safe bet to give him my Doom points because he be lagging behind on turn 2.

I would have been had another shot at desecrating Scandinavia. Not ideal, for turn 2 Power, but I would have had a third spell book

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Got it! I figured it was Passion shenanigans but I couldn't figure out how you'd get the spellbook. Thanks!

• Options
    I'm home from work. just need to get cleaned but how are we gonna light the bat signal for a tabletop simulator round of cthulhu wars today?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I just opened a sev 1 case with vmware this fine Saturday morning. I -am- online in Steam though, don't know when I'll get a call from support. Have another CW-interested person online on my list. Don't know if you know anyone else.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I don't understand, how is he taking my gate, there's nothing in his spellbook or action sections about that.

• Options
    It's his built-in Opener of the Way power called The Beyond One. If you look in the OP, under Factions and check out the first entry for Opener, you'll see the ability.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    ooooooooh. For some reason I thought I already gave myself that extra power.

Order still stands though. If I spend 2 to summon a mutant to east africa, he can still fly to west africa and eat that cultist. At least this is the more interesting option. Save your gate or eat my dudes!

@keytar

No hard feelings. I just would have done things differently if I knew a long time player was involved. I made that risky aggressive move thinking everyone was either a new player or super rusty like me. It beat the usual safe boring opening play of 2 guarded gates. I'm also happy to wait or start over another game where you can join in playing if you want.

(although if i wanted to do that move I should have started right next to someone. I only realized I should try to be an aggressive gate thief after looking over my sheet again)

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I don't understand, how is he taking my gate, there's nothing in his spellbook or action sections about that.

Every faction has a built in Faction Ability they start with. "Flight" is yours. Moving gates is mine.

Here is an old game we played if you want to study it. It only has the base 4 factions though. You can see how early mid and late games look.

Early game is getting new gates set up and guarding them from being sniped while trying to do the same. It is possible to get greedy and use all your power to get 3 gates the first turn if you don't bother with any monsters.

Factions in a nutshell:

Cthulhu is the best at standup fights. Most efficient monsters, "disposable' ancient one, and that submerge ability for mass offense.

Yellow Sign gets a big death ball going with the King in Yellow and his world-touring undead entourage. Very hard to stop that blob. His ancient one Hastur is TERRIFYING because he gets to choose hit assignment which makes him able to assassinate enemy ancient ones regardless of their meat shields.

Crawling Chaos is the most mobile and flexible.

Opener and Sleeper....I have not played with before.

One thing to keep in mind: not only is getting all 6 spellbooks mandatory to be eligible to win, but once you get all 6, initiating combat becomes an unlimited action for you. That means it doesn't count as your turn, so you can do an action (move, summon) then immediately initiate a battle without having to wait a turn. It opens up a ton of options of very nasty surprises and encourages you to get all 6 books as soon as possible beyond the simple final victory requirement.

MrBody on
  • Options
    @jdarksun I recommend you check the faction powers for all your opponents. :)

@MrBody Not a long-time player, I've just spent a lot of time thinking about the game and watching live plays. I'm only in my 5th game now (on BGG, the other 4 were face-to-face). I get carried away sometimes analysing and discussing the tactics...

This game is going slowly enough that when I get my hands on some upcoming alternate graphic files, I'll go ahead and start up another game if there are enough lurkers now that would want to play.

@Ketar You're up (though MrBody keeps tagging keytar)

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I made that risky aggressive move thinking everyone was either a new player...
    "Hey this guy is a new player, let's exploit that." :-/

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    OR super rusty like me. It's been years since I've played and I probably wouldn't have spotted that play either. Azathoth knows what kind of crazy stuff I'm going to get blindsided by from the Sleeper.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Well, if you need any advice don’t come crawling to me...
    Only joking! :D I will stay out of it, though.

• Options
    One thing to keep in mind: not only is getting all 6 spellbooks mandatory to be eligible to win, but once you get all 6, initiating combat becomes an unlimited action for you. That means it doesn't count as your turn, so you can do an action (move, summon) then immediately initiate a battle without having to wait a turn. It opens up a ton of options of very nasty surprises and encourages you to get all 6 books as soon as possible beyond the simple final victory requirement.
    Another quick thing that confuses some people, unlimited doesn’t mean free. Each battle still costs 1 power, even when you can do it “unlimited”. And no more than one battle per area per turn (except for one rare, outside case with Sleeper, haha.)

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, that's a weird edge case with Sleeper that I'm not sure is even useful. But hey!

For the curious: Sleeper has a spellbook that allows a (limited) action before a battle if there's a wizard present, so you could use that action to declare a battle... before the battle. Probably not a lot of utility there.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    By the way, @jdarksun , a little advice since you're new: remember that you can still summon a monster at the gate that Opener just moved, since your cultist is still controlling it. That will prevent Opener from capturing your cultist, since monsters block capture from other monsters. Now, Opener can still declare battle to try and oust you, but there's a chance he rolls poorly, and your cultist will likely survive to give you power next turn. Alternately or in addition, you could capture some of his cultists to punish him. You've definitely got some options here.

• Options

Summon a Deep One in the South Pacific.

1->0

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Updates are in. Map and status board are 1-click now and ritual is under the status board.

CC -> Opener -> CC then we're done with the action phase.

Edit: Pretend there's a Deep One in the South Pacific.

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    Maybe @jdarksun has the weekend off.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Maybe @jdarksun has the weekend off.
    Apologies, I'm out of town for the weekend. Someone can take over if needed, I'm fine if you want to replace me.

I guess I'll summon a Flying Polyp at the contested gate.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    polyps are cancer

(see what I did there?)

• Options
    That leaves CC with zero power. @MrBody is up with the last power.

• Options
    Battle West Africa
    1->0

geth roll 3d6 for Opener
    geth roll 1d6 for Crawling Chaos

Opener:
    3d6 9 [3d6=3, 2, 4]
    Crawling Chaos:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Well that was awful. Pain to @jdarksun and retreat a unit

Lose a cultist.

Claim Dragon Ascending spellbook

Question: my Channel Power spellbook says "reroll all dice which missed". Does that mean enemy dice too?

MrBody on