As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cthulhu Wars - Game: 2

• Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    You roll, other players have 24 hours to come to a decision.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to throw in a power.

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    I'm open to letting Chaos have it if the roll isn't too crazy. He's new and he's still got to buy those spell books.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I killed 2 GOOs and pained a 3rd in one round with Nyarl my very first game.

MrBody on
  • Options
    That's awesome.

• Options
    Hope to play a TTS game in about 2.5 - 3 hours if anyone is around.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Four is a pretty good chunk. I'd be willing to kick in one, but no more than that.

Saurfang on
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd throw in one.

TWO if yellow leaves Africa next turn.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ill leave after my concert. And zero power chipped in

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    No power to spare here.

• Options
    Looks like Chaos is getting that power boost.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    So this is the perfect opportunity for King in Yellow to go desecrate the Americas for that spellbook. Both Sleeper and Cthulhu are out of power this round and can't do anything to resist. I'm literally the worst possible target right now. We're just going to be trading power points while I get the combat upgrades (which are nice, but I don't want to be flushing power down the toilet in a pointless trade).

Opener isn't exactly a late game powerhouse if you look at the faction sheet. The They Break Through ability and gate stealing is obsolete beyond the early game and it's the only faction without any kind of mass mobility ability. Cthulhu's submerge, Hastur's "He Who Shall Not be Named", Nyarlathotep's hunting horror summons, and Sleeper's infinite delay is much, much scarier.

Yeah, I love playing Opener mainly because it's purple but I'm at a loss what to do late game with it. I don't think I've ever won with it.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So this is the perfect opportunity for King in Yellow to go desecrate the Americas for that spellbook. Both Sleeper and Cthulhu are out of power this round and can't do anything to resist. I'm literally the worst possible target right now. We're just going to be trading power points while I get the combat upgrades (which are nice, but I don't want to be flushing power down the toilet in a pointless trade).

Opener isn't exactly a late game powerhouse if you look at the faction sheet. The They Break Through ability and gate stealing is obsolete beyond the early game and it's the only faction without any kind of mass mobility ability. Cthulhu's submerge, Hastur's "He Who Shall Not be Named", Nyarlathotep's hunting horror summons, and Sleeper's infinite delay is much, much scarier.

Yeah, I love playing Opener mainly because it's purple but I'm at a loss what to do late game with it. I don't think I've ever won with it.

Yeah I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with him. There's just no mobility beyond They Break Through, but it's obsolete as soon as everyone has combat ability at their gates. The Black Goat doesn't have a lot of mobility but at least she has all the low cost monsters, high monster count, and Avatar.

Dread Curse of Azathoth is something that looks neat on paper, but I don't see how it actually helps put you in a position to win.

Beyond the actual mechanics, I think a big weakness of Opener is in the meta game. The abilities force you to be aggressive right at the start which turns people against you and then you have no late game to counter all the people you've pissed off.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with him. There's just no mobility beyond They Break Through, but it's obsolete as soon as everyone has combat ability at their gates. The Black Goat doesn't have a lot of mobility but at least she has all the low cost monsters, high monster count, and Avatar.

Dread Curse of Azathoth is something that looks neat on paper, but I don't see how it actually helps put you in a position to win.

Beyond the actual mechanics, I think a big weakness of Opener is in the meta game. The abilities force you to be aggressive right at the start which turns people against you and then you have no late game to counter all the people you've pissed off.

My only guess is just to lurk and jump on gates that are unguarded in one swoop and try to do one big ritual but how many times could you pull that off? MAYBE twice? That's not gonna win you a game. What Opener really needs is something that gets them Doom Points like the other factions. Seems like if you can relocate an opponent's gate to an empty province you should get one or something similar.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Yeah he gets Dragon Descending, a spellbook that might net you 4 doom points once. Then what? Meanwhile other factions get passive elder sign generating engines. Yog gets you an extra doom point per round, but you could argue he's the worst GOO in the game. He's bottom tier at combat (only better than Tsath under the worst circumstances), is the only GOO with no special mobility, and even counting as a gate isn't that great when you consider that other GOOs have better power/VP generating abilities (Thousand Forms + Harbinger is way better than anything Yog's gate ability gets you).

It seems like they took all the "sneaky" ideas that didn't make the final cut for Crawling Chaos, and jammed them all into a new faction.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Yeah he gets Dragon Descending, a spellbook that might net you 4 doom points once. Then what? Meanwhile other factions get passive elder sign generating engines.

It seems like they took all the "sneaky" ideas that didn't make the final cut for Crawling Chaos, and jammed them all into a new faction.

Seeing how broken the Tcho-Tcho turned out I'm willing to bet that's exactly what happened.

• Options
    Even when the gate-stealing does work early game. I spent as much power stealing a gate as it would have cost just to build my own, and then even more defending myself because of the retaliation target it made me. But you HAVE to aggressively steal early game because it's the only advantage Opener has.

I think the rest of the game is just going to be me hunkering down in 2-3 spaces trying to survive because good lord Opener isn't even close to Crawling Chaos or Yellow Sign's late game.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Here is that game from May 2015, my very first one. Page 9 is where my Nyarlathotep rampage begins. My mistake, it was Cthulhu and Shub killed in the same round.

That was managed despite a horrible first turn from me. I ended round 1 with only a single gate and didn't get Nyarlathotep until the last round. I ended up coming in 3rd out of 4. Would have been even scarier with a better first round.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I heartily disagree with all disparaging comments on Opener. I would discuss, but I'm the host.

• Options
    I heartily disagree with all disparaging comments on Opener. I would discuss, but I'm the host.

Oo, PM me then! I'd love to have more working strategies for it! Or go post it in the general board game thread, please!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    We'll see. I'm just not seeing anything in his spellbooks and GOO than can compete with the others beyond the early game, certainly nothing that can go against ramped up Crawling Chaos or Yellow Sign.

Sitting back and upgrading my dudes is about my only plan now.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I know we've got 24 hours for Thousand Forms, but it looks like we're going to give Nyarlathotep the power--should we go ahead and proceed with @NotoriusBEN 's turn?

• Options
    I'm fine with that. It seemed pretty conclusive that you were all giving him the power.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not if SOME old ones are blowing all their budget on costume props.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Desecrate West Africa. 4 or less succeeds.

Success! Place a desecration token in west africa.
    Free summon of byakei in west africa.

8->6
    @MrBody

https://youtu.be/XVka5T5hC88

Geth, roll 1d6 for desecration. Please give me a break.

desecration. Please give me a break:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Break me off a piece of that san-i-ty!

• Options
    It's your turn, @MrBody ! The order is all cattywumpus this round and I wasn't sure if you missed it.

• Options
    While we wait for @MrBody ...

@NotoriusBEN , which spell book would you like?

• Options
    I'm trusting the King to exit Africa post haste. Yog has graciously held back from taking the Europe gate hostage.

@Mordenthral

If someone has 6 spellbooks, do they get the option to use a battle as their action? Or does it have to be an unlimited action and you have to do something else for your turn too?

• Options
    Yes. Or you can start with an unlimited battle to see how it goes and then declare a battle as a normal action in a different area.

• Options
    Battle in East Africa

8->7

@jdarksun for pre-battle abduct decision

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular

I followed around King in yellow 3 or four times always paining him before I broke it...

• Options
    Preda wrote: »

I followed around King in yellow 3 or four times always paining him before I broke it...
    It’s like they say, “Every time you shake the King in Yellow tree, two Elder Signs fall out!”

• Options
    If it's King in Yellow, let it mellow.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    pick up spellbook shriek of the byakhee for my chevron desecration.

And yes, im totally out of here. I got my chevron, i played my benefit concert, im done.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Is there a reason not to abduct? I figure he'll probably just toss a Cultist, it's cheaper to replace.

• Options
    I think it's the right call. You're trading a 1 cost unit for a 1 cost unit, but he had to pay 1 to declare battle.