As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just did The Scarab. Really digging this game, if it keeps it up it'll be one of my favorites in the series.

Also I was thinking about it

Origins is probably the AAA game that has the most poc characters in it ever, huh?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Gotta say, sneak-killing four horsemen one after the other on a public road is a hoot.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Gotta say, sneak-killing four horsemen one after the other on a public road is a hoot.

I needed vulture beaks for a quest, I was like where are vultures? Killed a guy on a public road. Was AFk, then when I cam back vultures were feeding on his corpse. I love this game

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Just did The Scarab. Really digging this game, if it keeps it up it'll be one of my favorites in the series.

Origins is probably the AAA game that has the most poc characters in it ever, huh?

Mafia 3 maybe?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Okay, so I did the thing where you have to do a bunch of other things to open it, then even more things to activate it:
    I'm at the Feels Like The Endgame stage (level 37, just went back to Siwa to peek inside the Vault, here's your old friends sword btw it's on fire so now it's your best friend), so I spent some time getting the rest of the stone circles, and getting the Sphinx to open up. 50 Silica? Okay, I've been picking these up all game, so...
    Ffffffffffff.
    Spent some time looking for another Mysterious Message, got the extra Silica, got the Cryptic Message (Can Layla's Animus change history or something? Ambitious.), and got the Destiny Armour. Does it do anything aside from look glowy?

For people feeling bogged down in side missions, I'd say to skip them if you're at or past the level the main quests want. I was doing everything I could as soon as I came across it, pretty much trying to do everything in suggested level order, but that was starting to drag. Then around when I finished Memphis, I wanted to rush for level 40 so I could try these Anubis trials before they run out, so I mainlined the main quest. It's really picked up the pacing.

I now have a sword that's on fire, a staff that's on fire, two bows that aren't not on fire, and a shield that poisons when you block.

I feel pretty hardcore now.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So I just killed the Snake fella in the baths.
    Bajek lost his finger! That was metal as Fuck. I was not expecting that, (and judging by his face, neither was he).

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just shot an arrow through a torch, setting it alight, and set fire to a bush

Useless, but cool as heck 11/10

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

same but i hit a guard in the head and he went down flaming.

had NO idea how it happened

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I keep hearing too much from Waypoint and Jeff Gerstmann that this game is really cool so fine I'll try it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I keep hearing too much from Waypoint and Jeff Gerstmann that this game is really cool so fine I'll try it

This is where I’m at. Between this, Wolfenstein, and Mario, I thought Assassin’s Creed could be ignored. I was wrong. The sand flows through me now.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Finished the main story. I think this might be my favourite Assassins Creed? So many great mechanical changes, a beautiful environment, great characters, well told A story and excellent side stories, ends on a bittersweet note, it's got everything. Even the modern stuff has really interesting implications, and more flip the board ones, rather than the oh yes it's an incremental progression of the last game.

(Spoilers for uh..endgame I suppose?)
    Bayek and Aya realising that they were driven apart by their quest and swallowing that for the greater good while the classic AC theme kicks in, almost got me weepy. Which is crazy for a Dan Brown writes ninjas game series.

I don't know if there will be a followup in this period, but based on how things end, I would be down for that.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Finished the main story. I think this might be my favourite Assassins Creed? So many great mechanical changes, a beautiful environment, great characters, well told A story and excellent side stories, ends on a bittersweet note, it's got everything. Even the modern stuff has really interesting implications, and more flip the board ones, rather than the oh yes it's an incremental progression of the last game.

(Spoilers for uh..endgame I suppose?)
    Bayek and Aya realising that they were driven apart by their quest and swallowing that for the greater good while the classic AC theme kicks in, almost got me weepy. Which is crazy for a Dan Brown writes ninjas game series.

I don't know if there will be a followup in this period, but based on how things end, I would be down for that.
    Please don't insult this series by associating it with Dan Brown.

• Options
    Ok, so...I just reached 17th level, and after meeting up with the Blue Camel Kid have scored a Legendary Spear.

Weird thing is that the Phylakes seem to be...gone? I don't see their icons anymore anywhere. Which is funny, because it was literally the other day I said I was avoiding advancing the plot until I had started dismantling these superkillers, and now they've taken the day off.

In other news I've visited most of the map, however fleetingly, except for the Green Mountains area and most of the southeast. Sync Point attainment may be rote but damn it if it doesn't remain compelling. Almost makes me wish they could combine sync point building with something more dynamic, like, say, someone like Bayek, but on the Silk Road, and you gather sync points to determine the best path for your trade caravans, switching up the paths between nodes as shit happens.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Prohass wrote: »

I needed vulture beaks for a quest, I was like where are vultures? Killed a guy on a public road. Was AFk, then when I cam back vultures were feeding on his corpse. I love this game

I just clicked on this thread by mistake while trying to click on the steam thread and I guess now I have to buy this rad-sounding game

you fucks

• Options
    Ok, so...I just reached 17th level, and after meeting up with the Blue Camel Kid have scored a Legendary Spear.

Weird thing is that the Phylakes seem to be...gone? I don't see their icons anymore anywhere. Which is funny, because it was literally the other day I said I was avoiding advancing the plot until I had started dismantling these superkillers, and now they've taken the day off.

In other news I've visited most of the map, however fleetingly, except for the Green Mountains area and most of the southeast. Sync Point attainment may be rote but damn it if it doesn't remain compelling. Almost makes me wish they could combine sync point building with something more dynamic, like, say, someone like Bayek, but on the Silk Road, and you gather sync points to determine the best path for your trade caravans, switching up the paths between nodes as shit happens.

I don't think Phylakes respawn or move between areas, so if you've killed one in an area, you shouldn't have to worry about them until you move on.

I've got two left on the map, both level 40 and in the same area. I fought one and was gradually wearing him down (two hits would have killed me, so I was playing as defensively as possible). I think I could have gotten him if the other one hadn't shown up.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So I was running around Memphis, killed most of the dudes in a fort, turned in a quest, and ran back through. When I saw a guard dragging a dead guard

They clean up their own bases.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    One of the loading screen tips is something like "Guards don't want dead people lying around anymore than you do".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    One loading tip said to poison a corpse, put it on a horse, and send it into a base.
    I don't know how to do that last part without being on the horse.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Got the ability to get war chariots and bought one straight away.

Went to clear out a bandit camp and ran full speed over their campfire.

My chariot caught fire but as I drifted around it was leaving a trail of flame on the ground behind me.

So by the time I stopped and jumped off most of the enemies were on fire.

11/10

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Man this game is just real, real good

The year off really helped them, they figured out what worked, what needed to go and what they needed to change or add

The story and presentation in particular are so much better than they were, all of the Assassination dialogues after you kill an assassination target are amazing and stylish as fuck whereas before it was mostly just talking in an Animus Void

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Phylakes disappearing is a bug. Kill the game and restart and they should show up again.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Also, and this is on me due to my own lack of knowledge, Egypt is the most exciting, interesting setting they've ever done.

The last 3 games have been in the 17-1800s and starred either French or English white people. I like a good 1800s story but those settings have been explored to death in media. Movies, TV shows, games, everything.

I can't think of the last thing I watched or played that was set in BC Egypt and wasn't an over the top fantasy like Gods of Egypt. I'm constantly learning new shit, exploring areas and aspects of Egyptian culture and history I didn't know existed and the whole "exploring history" aspect of the series is stronger than it has ever been.

If they go back to well-trodden time periods with the next one I'm gonna be disappointed. Give me some shit I don't already know inside and out.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I cannot believe that the Mejday were apparently a real thing

It feels like the "Seeker" job you get in Horizon, where your job is basically "video game protagonist"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I cannot believe that the Mejday were apparently a real thing

It feels like the "Seeker" job you get in Horizon, where your job is basically "video game protagonist"
    I mean it's basically being a Sheriff in Egypt

They even have a badge!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Precursor stuff:
    I've only found the one message so far (while hunting the Hyena), but Bayek didn't react at all, just stood there while the exposition washed over him. Does he ever acknowledge the voices talking about things he can't possibly understand?

Done (I think) all of the things and:
    No, he doesn't. I think the implication is that time is frozen for him, even though you see him moving (there's one that's underwater, and when you activate it, you can just float there without needing air for several minutes. All the recordings are placed in text files in Layla's laptop, though.

What I actually like about that idea is, that's basically the Blue Screen of Death. I like the idea that that experience is actually connected to Precursor technology bleeding into the user.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't understand Ubisoft's continued insistence on putting racing in their open world games and their likewise perpetual refusal to make them any fucking good at all

You even put it in a controlled environment this time! And it still sucks!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    Precursor stuff:
    I've only found the one message so far (while hunting the Hyena), but Bayek didn't react at all, just stood there while the exposition washed over him. Does he ever acknowledge the voices talking about things he can't possibly understand?

Done (I think) all of the things and:
    No, he doesn't. I think the implication is that time is frozen for him, even though you see him moving (there's one that's underwater, and when you activate it, you can just float there without needing air for several minutes. All the recordings are placed in text files in Layla's laptop, though.

What I actually like about that idea is, that's basically the Blue Screen of Death. I like the idea that that experience is actually connected to Precursor technology bleeding into the user.
    That's cool, but I kind of miss things like Ezio's "Who the fuck is Desmond?!" reaction.
    Dude beat up a pope to get in there, and only got confusion for his troubles.

edit: quotes are not spoilers, get it right.

klemming on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't understand Ubisoft's continued insistence on putting racing in their open world games and their likewise perpetual refusal to make them any fucking good at all

I just tried the Hippodrome and yup it is garbotrash

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I can't seem to find if there's any decent reward for the Hippodrome so I'm just... never gonna go back

• Options

I just tried the Hippodrome and yup it is garbotrash

Well I’m glad I avoided that.

TBH the few times I have hopped on a chariot in this game, I didn’t think they were all that-they handle weird and don’t seem built for the busy urban areas, but also are bad in the deserts. Never thought I’d say it, but I’m simply not down for a machine that tramples the unwary.

On that note, wouldn’t the advantages of a chariot more involve having a secondary archer or at least extra storage or something?

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I made one attempt at the chariot races

I have no need or use for the chariot races

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    You get a gold-tier horse for winning all the chariot races. It's fast. It'll outrun anyone you meet on the road that's not already so far past your level that they'll two-shot you with arrows.

The 100 gold pre-patch and 150 post-patch you get for each race is basically a slap in the face, tho. Meaning that, if you're counting, it goes slap, slap, slap, slap, horse.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Chariots that can't be steered are historically accurate, I think, even if they are crap from a game perspective

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I have a gold horse from the pre-order that's already faster than anything else

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    3 elephants down, one encounter to go.
    I don't even remember the fight with Herwennefer.

Jumbe, which I just finished, took more tries than it should have, but there wasn't a lot of nonsense to the fight.

on the other end of the spectrum, I spent four consecutive hours banging my head against the Surus encounter. Went to bed angry, got up the next morning, put another hour in and finally managed to take it down. I'm attributing this to a) my usual policy of 'minimal talents' and b) being unable to wrap my head around what they wanted from me.

(the only talent I've purchased is the time-skip power, and that only because a side-quest required it. )

Tamin on
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Jumbe, which I just finished, took more tries than it should have, but there wasn't a lot of nonsense to the fight.

on the other end of the spectrum, I spent four consecutive hours banging my head against the Surus encounter. Went to bed angry, got up the next morning, put another hour in and finally managed to take it down. I'm attributing this to a) my usual policy of 'minimal talents' and b) being unable to wrap my head around what they wanted from me.

(the only talent I've purchased is the time-skip power, and that only because a side-quest required it. )

why do you do this to yourself

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Also, and this is on me due to my own lack of knowledge, Egypt is the most exciting, interesting setting they've ever done.

The last 3 games have been in the 17-1800s and starred either French or English white people. I like a good 1800s story but those settings have been explored to death in media. Movies, TV shows, games, everything.

I can't think of the last thing I watched or played that was set in BC Egypt and wasn't an over the top fantasy like Gods of Egypt. I'm constantly learning new shit, exploring areas and aspects of Egyptian culture and history I didn't know existed and the whole "exploring history" aspect of the series is stronger than it has ever been.

If they go back to well-trodden time periods with the next one I'm gonna be disappointed. Give me some shit I don't already know inside and out.

I still really want them to do a proper China one about that concubine turned Assassin.

• Options
    I can't seem to find if there's any decent reward for the Hippodrome so I'm just... never gonna go back

There's a mount if you finish the first four, and I assume the next set as well but I haven't done it.

It's a good mount, horse, very fast.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

why do you do this to yourself

The minimal talents thing? It varies. In this case, if I want to buy-in to any of the warrior talents, I have to purchase in-combat health regen, a thing I don't particularly like*. Very few of the talents on display appeal to me. There's a couple of neat things, don't get me wrong. Hunter's Instinct sounds cool, but I'm not fond of talents that passively grant extra experience**; there are one or three in the way.

the four-hour thing? sheer stupidity, with a dash of masochism; spiced with minor OCD.

* which should not be read as 'hate'. I can live with, and without it.
    ** I hit 40 a few days ago, before I killed the first elephant, so this is no longer a concern.

• Options
    Reunion mission.
    I, err, I got to the Shrine of Sobek before I met Tamira, so when she said one of the crocodiles were missing and immediately blamed the Romans... not, err, not, not necessarily the Romans, in this case.

euj90n71sojo.png