As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hmm. I feel like the friend/foe AI needs work.
    Just after reaching Attika, I'm wandering around trying to pick up viewpoints before I advance the plot any more.
    I find a group of Athenians and Spartans fighting each other. I've got a quest to kill a bunch of Athenians, so I join in, and end the fight. So far, so good.

Then a mercenary shows up and comes at me, possibly to do with all those murders I did somewhere else which weren't even me it was someone who looks like me and anyway it was self defence. He's my level, so I figure I can handle him.
    The Spartans don't show any desire to aid the warrior who just helped them win a battle, but okay. then I pull out my bow to plink a few arrows while the merc is down, and the entire lot of them attack me.

I didn't even aim it at them! And the bounty meter apparently thought me killing these guys in actual self defence merited a bunch more points, so when the dust cleared I'd gained a second bounty level.

Now I've got to detour to murder a guy to get away from punishment for all those other murders.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    yeah, it's a little hard to know how the allegiances are going to work out sometimes

on the other hand, it's super fun to draw a bunch of bandits over to a soldier camp and let them duke it out. Bonus points if clearing both camps are on your to-do list.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Unless you're in a battle or on a quest fighting alongside quest npcs, bystanders will always go hostile. Sometimes even the quest giver will, forcing you to knock them out or run away. It must be a bug with how area attacks are detected.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Willing to give this GOTY just for how hard I laughed at my arrival in Elis, and at the antics of my good chum Testikles

• Options
    edited October 2018
    the random quests seem ... random

weekly contract is Fire At Will, which sounds like a naval thing, but isn't

the description is, "Athens can't stand the red tide ... from Sparta. Burn them to ashes. ..." which, again, sounds like it wants me to kill Spartans. But, no, it wants me to kill Athenians.

And for no apparent reason I started at ~2/3 done with each of the requirements.

I mean, I'll take it. It just seems weird.

edit: if it were 'withstand' or 'stand against', the description would track with the goals. Maybe it's just missing a word.

Tamin on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    YO WHAT UP BRASIDAS
    this dude rules

I just hit this scene

Dude might well suck later, but right now? Brasidas can fucken GET IT

I just met this dude last night and that was fuckin' awesome.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Had a fun moment going after a cult guy who was hanging out in the middle of a town.
    It was a little over my level, so a proper fight wasn't going to end well for me, and I just didn't have the patience to try and pick off everyone nearby one by one.

But the target wasn't a warrior, so one charged assassinate was enough to take him down. His bodyguard (two levels higher than me) took exception to this, so I kicked him off a ledge, confirmed my kill while he climbed back up, then ran for my fucking life, aggroing a dozen other guys as I went.

If it's stupid and it works, it wasn't stupid.

I've actually missed moments of me freerunning through a city pursued by guards and finding a hiding spot once I've got out of their sight, I feel like I haven't really had to do that since the first game.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Arsenios rules

• Options
    I've been trying, off and on, to take out a ship by hand. That is, swimming up to and murdering everyone on-board.

usually either I screw up or the game decides I wanted to leap off the ship, at which point I can't catch it

managed to take down a couple just now. Interestingly, the ships continued to move without any top-deck crew. The chests contain some resources in addition to the normal random items.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There's a new patch that has added a bunch of stuff, including a proper stats screen, but most critically
    Added a horse sound when equipping horse skins.

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-updates/339686/assassins-creed-odyssey-1-0-6-patch-notes

also there's a new mission as well I guess?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Tamin wrote: »
    I've been trying, off and on, to take out a ship by hand. That is, swimming up to and murdering everyone on-board.

usually either I screw up or the game decides I wanted to leap off the ship, at which point I can't catch it

managed to take down a couple just now. Interestingly, the ships continued to move without any top-deck crew. The chests contain some resources in addition to the normal random items.

Not sure if it's been patched yet, but there was a bug for a bit where if you went on 'foot', slaughtered the crew, and then got into a ship battle and boarded it, the 'captain' would respawn as a skinless mannequin - which you could recruit.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I managed it the other day. It kinda bugged weird where the oars would pop in and out but I was able to kill everyone and loot the boxes.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    walk up to a message board; there's a mercenary nearby

"contract: kill <mercenary>. Distance 3m"

• Options
    <mercenary> was a legend in Greece, he's a really tough fight.

• Options
    I felt the joke would be a little over-written if I typed out "Eutychea the Frenzied is nearby" and then "kill Eutychea the Frenzied"

doubly so because the most notice I took of the mercenary was that they weren't immediately trying to kill me. Their name was a distant priority.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hunting quests complete - having Tier 3 abilities helped, but so did kiting Bounty Hunters into the combat zones

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'm having so many Mercs just jump me now. Sometimes 2 or 3 at once. I'm not even causing any trouble!

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Best Skill: Ghost Arrows of Artemis utterly trivializes everything in the game that isn't a pre-scripted boss fight.
    Most Fun Skill: Spartan Kick, yeet
    Worst Skill: Predator Shot, I can't aim it.
    Least Fun Skill: Shadow of Nyx, it's actually just boring.

Best Engraving: Attacks do Poison/Fire damage, Basic Arrows are Poison/Fire Arrows. If you type your arrows/weapon with the same damage, you can Engrave +20% poison/fire damage on a bunch of gear and see HUGE gains on all your stats. I prefer poison because the armor debuff is great on lower difficulties, and it's very easy to set yourself on fire, but fire is good, so. Plus you look like a boss with glowing weapons always. Honorable Mention to Overpower Attacks cost -1 Adrenaline, because Overpower attacks rule.
    Worst Engraving: X Skill does +20% damage. Unless it's Devastating Shot or Hero Strike, it's just not worth it. Even then, there's better engravings.
    Most Fun Engraving: Breathe Underwater.

I finished grinding tombs yesterday, so I have a full 72 skill points, or 24 maxed skills. I did split two points into Train Animal because I don't want a bear, and one point into Poison Weapons so I could max Poison Mastery without needing to put Poison Weapons on my bar since I can just use the engraving. I did not take Charged Heavy Attacks because I don't think they're very good. Technically the only archery skill I need is Ghost Arrows, but I wanted full bars, so I might change things up again and take a couple more passives.

Skills: Spartan Kick, Ring of Chaos, whatever the heal skill is called, Battlecry of Ares, Hero Strike, Rush Assassination, Speed of Hermes, Shield Breaker. Ghost Arrows, Multi-Shot(very good skill), Devastating Shot(I think it's the highest damage per adrenaline skill in the game?), and Predator Shot(it's bad but fun)

I like this game! Combat is pretty easy to roll through, but feeling like a badass isn't a sin.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    My only complaint about the combat is the level system is a bit restrictive. I'm an assassin who sometimes can't murder a sleeping target by putting my spear through their neck because I guess they did a lot of sit ups or something?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Heal skill is called Heally Heals of Healsidon.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    the random quests seem ... random

weekly contract is Fire At Will, which sounds like a naval thing, but isn't

the description is, "Athens can't stand the red tide ... from Sparta. Burn them to ashes. ..." which, again, sounds like it wants me to kill Spartans. But, no, it wants me to kill Athenians.

And for no apparent reason I started at ~2/3 done with each of the requirements.

I mean, I'll take it. It just seems weird.

edit: if it were 'withstand' or 'stand against', the description would track with the goals. Maybe it's just missing a word.

Questgiver: “I fear my son is a deserter from the Spartan army and his commander had found out. His life is in danger.”

Kassandra: “So you want me to protect him?”

Questgiver: “No, all deserters must die. Kill him. Spill his blood. Crush his skull. Fling him from the mountaintop. Spartan Kick his teeth out of his mouth. Make sure even the vultures have nothing to peck at. Chop his dick off and feed it to the lions.”

Kassandra: “Okay, I’ll murder your son for you.”

Questgiver: “Thank you, misthios. You’ll be well rewarded.”

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I seem to be at a point where any enemy that I would want to Spartan Kick off a ledge is immune to it and just takes a few steps back

I prefer to chain assassinate a group and follow it up with a Hero Strike, or as my wife calls it, the "Press X to Not Try" strategy

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The Kalydonian Boar is dead. Long live the Kalydonian Boar.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    The Kalydonian Boar is dead. Long live the Kalydonian Boar.

That's the hardest fight in the entire game imo, congrats

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Boars in this game are some real bullshit

• Options
    101 wrote: »
    Boars in this game are some real bullshit

the Kalydonian Boar additionally
    farts out toxic gas, so your HP is low enough for one hit to kill you for the entire fight

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Honestly, all of the animal fights really suck.

I’m nearly done with this game. I’ve just got a few cultists remaining. It’s...too big. I was mentally done with the game, like 15 hours ago, but it just keeps going.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I...100%ed it. But I'm not gonna look at that new free DLC stuff, don't really care to play Leonidas

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Having played it this afternoon, you don't. It's about 4 little side quest things long as well, short but sweet.
    It's actually about putting on a play and you end up starring, which means you can either mess it up or play it straight

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I can
    Stilts wrote: »

I’m nearly done with this game. I’ve just got a few cultists remaining. It’s...too big. I was mentally done with the game, like 15 hours ago, but it just keeps going.

I can understand this complaint for sure

But for me, this game is basically an endless bucket of pure joy

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I can
    Stilts wrote: »

I can understand this complaint for sure

But for me, this game is basically an endless bucket of pure joy

I probably sound harsher in this thread than I actually feel. And the length, especially, is mostly just a pet peeve of mine. Lately I have a hard time playing any game for more than 20-30 hours unless I'm extremely into it.

Overall, Odyssey is pretty good, but it's definitely more of a mixed bag for me than Origins was. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the story (for the most part), Kassandra's one of my favorite AC protagonists, a bunch of the side characters are extremely likable, the environments are some of the prettiest that AC has ever had, and I loved what it added to the Present Day/Precursor stuff.

On the other hand, combat is a lot more tedious, I couldn't reliably depend on stealth until pretty late in the game, the dialogue choice system feels totally pointless with results that often seem arbitrary, the choice to split the main story into three separate main quests leads to each "ending" feeling abrupt, and (for me at least) there was just too much of almost everything.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Having played it this afternoon, you don't. It's about 4 little side quest things long as well, short but sweet.
    It's actually about putting on a play and you end up starring, which means you can either mess it up or play it straight

How do you activate it? I couldn't find it on message boards?

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

How do you activate it? I couldn't find it on message boards?

It's in Ellis, I had to look as well, despite the title screen saying otherwise, but there's a new quest marker in the one of the towns there.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    2lrci3.jpg

took out the other legendary one. On to what I imagine will be much easier fights against lions and hyenas, despite that making little sense.

Tamin on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hit the Kalydonian boar when first available, failed spectacularly, decided to try again at level 23 or so
    For whatever reason when he did his 'summon tiny boars' move the second time they spawned far enough away from me that I could just circle him plinking predator arrows into his face for a solid two minutes without them being able to hit me. One big animal cheesed to death, 7 to go.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
  • Options
    ^ That’s repeatable by the way, and just kind of odd in general

It is the intended “jump” spot for that viewpoint but it’s a glitchy insta death

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Now i'm curious what you can do with that if you have a particular polearm's ability equipped.

• Options
    Post launch support is goooood

Some good shit in this roadmap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXSoIf2XFB8

Personal highlights : transmogging gear (wear the stats you want, with the look you want +25 levels added to the cap, xp currently earned at 50 will be added, so it's likely that a lot of us will be a decent chunk of the way there already.

(Crossposted from g&t)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Whoa shit