Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Apparently Sony had a big Playstation thing going on that day

1234568»

Posts

  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Are they ever gonna make a new prototype at some point?

    I liked how the second one was all about your character actively trying to be a worse person than the main character of the first one

    You'd have to ask Radical Entertainment, and they're under the Activision umbrella so they're probably stuck with COD or Destiny dev work.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    If you get in touch with Radical, tell them to remaster Simpsons Hit & Run instead of making a new Prototype.

    Rorshach Kringle2 Marcus 2 RavensMidniteKetarFearghaillUnbreakableVowRaijin QuickfootOmnipotentBagelCharmyZonugalGustavSirEtchwartsDys
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    TLoU 2 trailer really wasn’t that bad. People are overreacting imo.

  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    TLoU 2 trailer really wasn’t that bad. People are overreacting imo.

    You could go with that

    Or

    You could recognize that responses to visceral depictions of violence against women are a really personal thing and that it's entirely possible for something to not bother you while being incredibly uncomfortable for someone else, and their reactions are no less valid than your own

    Up you you how you want to be, really

    turtleantRainfallDouglasDangercaptaink
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    TLoU 2 trailer really wasn’t that bad. People are overreacting imo.

    You could go with that

    Or

    You could recognize that responses to visceral depictions of violence against women are a really personal thing and that it's entirely possible for something to not bother you while being incredibly uncomfortable for someone else, and their reactions are no less valid than your own

    Up you you how you want to be, really

    Perhaps overreacting was a poor choice of words. I guess my line of thinking is “what were you expecting from this world?”

    Fearghaill
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    For my part, I found the bit with the hammer on arm really made me uncomfortable but not enough to ruin my anticipation for the game

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    If you get in touch with Radical, tell them to remaster Simpsons Hit & Run instead of making a new Prototype.

    Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction would also be acceptable

    ShortyRorshach KringleJohnny ChopsockyOmnipotentBagel2 Marcus 2 RavensMysstZonugalGustavSirEtchwartsDysBrolo
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    prototype is a game I remember almost nothing of, but what I do remember was rad as hell

    i.e. "lemme just kick this helicopter out of the sky"

    or, one of my favorite moments in any video game ever:

    I am crossing the street, at a legal crosswalk, while thinking about where to go next, and this guy hit me with his car, then got out and started yelling at me, like it was my fault

    and I took a moment to consider exactly what unholy brand of almighty whopass to drop on this fool

    eventually I just picked up his car and ran away with it, all "it's mine now, later dude"

    then I threw it in the river


    man that game was good

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    Rorshach KringleRainfallNaphtaliKwoaruSirEtchwartsSnicketysnickSorceMacro9StiltsDevlin_DragonusYaYa
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    For my part, I found the bit with the hammer on arm really made me uncomfortable but not enough to ruin my anticipation for the game

    Yeah, it made me physically cringe too. I suspect that was the intention there. To be clear I’m not trying to ridicule anyone who didn’t enjoy this trailer, I’m genuinely curious. If this is your first exposure to the series then yes I can empathize. It’s the people who have played the first game that are making me scratch my head. If it’s the violence against the two women I’m also perplexed, because every character with agency in this trailer is a woman. Sure there are two men, but they very clearly work for the female cult leader, and they are both promptly killed by the closest thing this trailer has to a protagonist who is also a woman.

    Ov3rcharge on
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Are they ever gonna make a new prototype at some point?

    I liked how the second one was all about your character actively trying to be a worse person than the main character of the first one

    You'd have to ask Radical Entertainment, and they're under the Activision umbrella so they're probably stuck with COD or Destiny dev work.

    activision has publicly stated that radical is strictly a support studio and will be for the foreseeable

    I doubt they'd even be able to make a good successor to prototype or hulk, most of the people responsible are gone

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played a little of Prototype but it was a little too.... gross?
    Like, physically. Your powers. Were super grody. I didn't like it

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That trailer was my first real look at The Last Of Us and based on the trailer alone it's not something I want to know more about. Heavy, brutal themes can be presented in a more subtle manner without compromising the message, in fact the adage of "less is more" works for a reason. Seeing the trailer treat that subject matter as something to be shown very explicitly though, I have no reason to expect the game to be any different in its portrayal. Lacking respect for its subject matter, glorifying it in HD, just torture porn.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    in retrospect it seems strange that a game in which you can shred thousands of civilians in minutes and consume the resulting gore to fuel your ruinous powers went basically unremarked upon by society at large

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    in retrospect it seems strange that a game in which you can shred thousands of civilians in minutes and consume the resulting gore to fuel your ruinous powers went basically unremarked upon by society at large

    Well I think the remarks were mostly "it was super rad to karate kick that helicopter"
    Which, admittedly, it did seem so

    QRK7dOP.gif
    PSN: GrahamCR | 3DS Friend Code: 4399-2068-5090 | Switch Friend Code: SW-7440-9863-2027
    Johnny ChopsockyKwoaruBrolo
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    in retrospect it seems strange that a game in which you can shred thousands of civilians in minutes and consume the resulting gore to fuel your ruinous powers went basically unremarked upon by society at large

    Well I think the remarks were mostly "it was super rad to karate kick that helicopter"
    Which, admittedly, it did seem so

    sure but this is the same world in which fox news decided to make a thing of the fact that Bulletstorm gives you extra points for shooting people in the ass

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hated the controls in Prototype. Everything was super floaty.

    HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    Medium Daveturtleant
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The only thing that is bugging me in this Last of Us discussion is referring to the clip from today's presentation as a trailer.

    It's not a trailer it's just a clip from the game.

    NogginHermano
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The lack of context is what bugged me

    All it would have taken to sell me is “this clip is about Name and Name, and they’ve been captured by the People, and this is what they’re about, let’s take a look”

    I didn‘t know who to care about or what anyone wanted

    6F32U1X.png
    WheatBun01captaink
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    TLoU 2 trailer really wasn’t that bad. People are overreacting imo.

    You could go with that

    Or

    You could recognize that responses to visceral depictions of violence against women are a really personal thing and that it's entirely possible for something to not bother you while being incredibly uncomfortable for someone else, and their reactions are no less valid than your own

    Up you you how you want to be, really

    Perhaps overreacting was a poor choice of words. I guess my line of thinking is “what were you expecting from this world?”

    Maybe something similar to the original game's moments of emotion and loss that made it a classic, or some sort of hint as to the continued story of Joel and Ellie?

    The violence between survivors is definitely present in the game, but that is not what people like about that game.

    Like, I get that this scene would still most likely be present in the game because this kind of brutality happens in that world. But it is NOT a good scene to sell the game with. That first teaser trailer was soooooo much more effective than this one could ever dream of being.

    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Madican wrote: »
    That trailer was my first real look at The Last Of Us and based on the trailer alone it's not something I want to know more about. Heavy, brutal themes can be presented in a more subtle manner without compromising the message, in fact the adage of "less is more" works for a reason. Seeing the trailer treat that subject matter as something to be shown very explicitly though, I have no reason to expect the game to be any different in its portrayal. Lacking respect for its subject matter, glorifying it in HD, just torture porn.

    This is really sad because the first game is very very good and this clip does not do it justice.

    Edit: Compare the new scene to the original trailer



    THIS is incredible. It sums up the hopelessness and the emotion of the first game so well.

    rhylith on
    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    Hermano
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens Registered User regular
    I'm not bothered so much by the violence being present in the game. Given the subject of the first one, it's not all that surprising.

    But using that kind of violence against women to sell the game is fuckin gross.

    rhylith
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I would absolutely love a new Prototype game. I spent a ridiculous amount of time in those games, just...running headlong into traffic. Dozens of hours (at least) just launching cars into the air and nothing else.

    Also yes hi give me that Ghost of Tsushima game please, that sounds great. I miss Tenchu.

    steam_sig.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel Shell, Teeth, Eyes, Flame, Claws, Breath, Scales, FUN!Registered User regular
    Steam has a whole section devoted to new prototype games. I hear Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is doing really well over there

    9m1sgpgi7202.gif
    hatedinamerica
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely love a new Prototype game. I spent a ridiculous amount of time in those games, just...running headlong into traffic. Dozens of hours (at least) just launching cars into the air and nothing else.

    Also yes hi give me that Ghost of Tsushima game please, that sounds great. I miss Tenchu.

    omfg, THANK YOU. been trying to remember the name of tenchu for fucking weeks

    ikbUJdU.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Steam has a whole section devoted to new prototype games. I hear Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is doing really well over there

    I can't believe it took you eight minutes. you're getting a little slow!

    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    I imagine the internet is being like this right now.

    "Last of Us was awesome, we want more."
    *Last of Us 2 trailer*
    "I want video games to be different."
    *new Last of Us 2 trailer*
    "No not like that."

    I saw it. It was brutal. And it didn't lean on the two characters we know from the whole thing. It didn't do a good job of establishing why the hell people are fighting with each other, but it did establish there are fungoid zombies and whatever. Overall, it was fine. I wouldn't refer to it as being problematic or wrong or whatever.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I didn't bother finishing Second Son mostly because it just lost (for me) the insanity of the previous two games.
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    TLoU 2 trailer really wasn’t that bad. People are overreacting imo.

    You could go with that

    Or

    You could recognize that responses to visceral depictions of violence against women are a really personal thing and that it's entirely possible for something to not bother you while being incredibly uncomfortable for someone else, and their reactions are no less valid than your own

    Up you you how you want to be, really

    Perhaps overreacting was a poor choice of words. I guess my line of thinking is “what were you expecting from this world?”

    I winced several times at the trailer. . .which I'm glad for. The first game was pretty stupid in how it handled violence. This looked real and evil and seems to be a natural evolution of the "bad guy" character developing from the first game of "Hey we're all mostly just scary creepy guys killing shit!"

    Also God of War looks great. I can not wait for the inevitable "play as this kid" DLC (assuming we're not being Gun's of the Patriots"ed).


    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Prototype is the most underrated game of the past 10 years

    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Also Detroit is saying all the right things but I refuse to be fooled

    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Holy shit that Detroit trailer, this game is going to be an amazing trash fire, the LPs are going to be so good

    dN0T6ur.png
    BroloSchmimpy Pim- no god what am I saying
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It was funny to me the evil organisation in Second Son was called the DUP.

    Dark Raven XDiarmuid
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I picked up Life is Strange off the sale this week. Probably the best 5 bucks I've spent in a long time.

    The opening with the lighthouse made me think of Alan wake with sad indy music.

    Really though this whole game seems really sad. I just started episode 2 and dealing with Kate's problems is really bringing me down. I hope this ends well for her.

    bO0v7.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I picked up Life is Strange off the sale this week. Probably the best 5 bucks I've spent in a long time.

    The opening with the lighthouse made me think of Alan wake with sad indy music.

    Really though this whole game seems really sad. I just started episode 2 and dealing with Kate's problems is really bringing me down. I hope this ends well for her.

    Life Is Strange is real good but insanely sad. Good luck with episode 2!

    Rainfall on
    Macro9
Sign In or Register to comment.