As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Nightmare fuel

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    New hypervisor blade, 16 core, 32 thread. 384GB of ram. OS drive is a SSD.

It's still taking Windows Server 2016 an hour to install the latest cumulative update. (granted it's going from a 2016RTM build to 2018-06 update but still. This should be faster).

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Server rebuild just about done. The SBS restore failed with a blue screen on boot. Fired up a new 2016 VM with domain and new user accounts in 45 minutes and 3 hours later they are all working again. Just a few files to recover now since the restore job didn't finish fully before I had to take the server out.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Dude who is not my boss but manages other employees: "hey, when can you implement {totally new VPN system that I purchased on a whim without asking anybody first?}"

You can fuck right off.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    ThawmusAiouaRandomHajileDevoutlyApatheticZilla360Donovan Puppyfucker
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Seriously I'm so fucking livid that he even asked.

You're supposed to be a fucking manager. Manage your shit. Don't just buy a technology and expect somebody who doesn't even fucking report to you to set it up.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    Thawmus
  • CogCog Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

It's still taking Windows Server 2016 an hour to install the latest cumulative update. (granted it's going from a 2016RTM build to 2018-06 update but still. This should be faster).

I had to update a Win7 machine last week.

Why does it take Win7 like 45 minutes to detect updates?

Cog wrote: »

It is inexplicably faster if you use PSWindowsUpdate instead of the GUI.

Thawmus
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    On a new 7 install,

net stop wuauserv
    install the standalones for KB3020369 and then KB3172605

Windows updates now works like a champ! Congrats!

I actually have a folder on our tools drive that's just "Windows 7 Update Fix" with an "x86" and an "x64" subfolder, each of which has:
    "Step 1 (run as admin).bat" which is just net stop wuauserv
    "Step 2.msu" (KB3020369 of the appropriate architecture)
    and
    "Step 3.msu" (KB3172605)

So that my techs don't actually have to think about it.

Xaviar on
    FeralThawmus

I think it's because the sheer amount it needs to reconcile is so massive it just takes that long on a new install.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar

I think it's because the sheer amount it needs to reconcile is so massive it just takes that long on a new install.

See my post above.

The servicing stack breaks and it gets stuck in a loop of looking at the same data over and over again.

There is a fix for it, which, of course, is delivered via windows update. :rotate:

In other news, 6 systems with identical configurations.

On only one of them, text in chrome looks like this:
    https://imgur.com/a/Me1hqU7

All other units look normal.

It isn't only text that's affected, small icons are also blockier, but that's most apparent on one of our internal systems I can't send you pictures of.

Only happens in chrome. Everything else in the OS looks fine.

All the various permutations of enabled/disabled/default of Accelerated 2D Canvas and Override Software Rendering List in chrome://flags don't seem to have any effect, though that seems to be the only recommended solution after a bunch of googling.

Any other bright ideas?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Looks like Font smoothing is turned off?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    ThawmusXaviarFeralDrovekDonovan Puppyfucker
    Yes. Yes it is.

So I turned it back on, and everything is now magically better.

So that's good. Thanks.
    I probably should have caught that. Whoops.

bowenThawmusFeralDrovekShadowfire
    Xaviar wrote: »

See my post above.

The servicing stack breaks and it gets stuck in a loop of looking at the same data over and over again.

There is a fix for it, which, of course, is delivered via windows update. :rotate:

This is the most Microsoft thing.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So almost a year into the new job and aside from culture shock and general work annoyances things are still going well.

Looks like I will likely be team lead pretty quick here.

Company footed the bill for advanced puppet training ao I should be certed soon.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusFeldornDonovan Puppyfucker
    edited June 2018
    t
    Entaru wrote: »
    So almoat a year i to the new job and aside from culture shock and general work annoyances things are still going well.

Company footed the bill for advanced puppet training ao I should be certed soon.

This is you now.

Construction-Worker-Hand-Puppet.jpg

wunderbar on
    t
    So almoat a year i to the new job and aside from culture shock and general work annoyances things are still going well.

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

t

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

Who sticks their hand up your ass?

ThawmusMugsleywunderbar
    t

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

You're definitly in a specific mental place right now.

ThawmusMugsley
    t

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

Should I talk slower?

Thawmus
    edited June 2018
    t

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

Should I talk slower?

Lord of the Rings: Ents discuss ass

Not the best Tolkien work.

Seidkona on
    t

This is you now.

I'll allow it.

Should I talk slower?

Lord of the Rings: Ents discuss ass

Not the best Tolkien work.

GRRM would have a few paragraphs on it.

• ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    I hate being such a control freak but I wish people would come to me before engineering solutions, because their solutions typically involve a ton of human error and 15,000 manual processes that a simple script or a more-than-casual understanding of how our software works would solve. And I'm always the fucking bad guy who says their plan is stupid and here's a better way to do it and they buck and buck and buck because they don't want to go back to the drawing table.

Motherfuckers, give me a seat at the drawing table and this shit won't happen.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    Youtube: Thawmus
    FeralInfidelFeldornRandomHajileApothe0sis
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I hate being such a control freak but I wish people would come to me before engineering solutions, because their solutions typically involve a ton of human error and 15,000 manual processes that a simple script or a more-than-casual understanding of how our software works would solve. And I'm always the fucking bad guy who says their plan is stupid and here's a better way to do it and they buck and buck and buck because they don't want to go back to the drawing table.

Somebody totally fucked up the printer configs at one of our locations and I just discovered it today, so I feel this.

Fuck you, 1990's HP and your god damn razor-sharp-edged aluminum puzzle boxes purpose built to cut the shit out of anyone trying to get to your weirdly buried HDDs.

They just connect with cables. You can put them anywhere. You don't need to hide them behind six layers of removable cages.

Feldorn
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love how heavy old PC cases were.

You're just like "oh hey an old computer, let me just pick... oh god why is this 230 lbs?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    CogAuralynx
    edited June 2018
    Worse was when HP switched to 90% plastic cases with laptop components for their "desktops"

"Oh hey a computer, let me just pick it.. Oh god I threw it through the ceiling."

Xaviar on
    bowenThawmusShadowfire
    The Public Desktop on this machine has 48 shortcuts, over half of which start with either "Get " or "Free "

Donovan Puppyfucker
    Xaviar wrote: »
    The Public Desktop on this machine has 48 shortcuts, over half of which start with either "Get " or "Free "

I feel like it is time to dig out the coupon app inside joke for this one.

InfidelSeidkonaDrovekAegis
    Feral wrote: »
    Dude who is not my boss but manages other employees: "hey, when can you implement {totally new VPN system that I purchased on a whim without asking anybody first?}"

You can fuck right off.

This asshole keeps asking me to do big stuff for him.

I'm now just CCing every request to my boss with the subject line "help me prioritize"

XaviarDrovekCog
    our first ever properly designed SQL server where I can have Database files and transaction logs on different (virtual) drives!!!!!

I'm more excited about that than I should be.

Feral
    Thawmus wrote: »

Somebody totally fucked up the printer configs at one of our locations and I just discovered it today, so I feel this.

So of course now I have a seat at the table and everyone's like 200% happier because they're hearing "Yes" to almost everything.

And I know what you're thinking. "Thawmus is promising too much."

No, really, everything they're asking for is a fucking button press and we have active models of how it works in the field, and they work great, there should have never been a "No" in the first place!

steam_sig.png
    InfidelFeralSeidkona
    Database files and transaction logs on different (virtual) drives!!!!!

You know this was mainly a thing when it was on local physical disk/raid arrays.

Unless you have tiered storage, there's basically no real benefit to this anymore.

And if your tiered storage is automated, there's literally no benefit to this anymore.

RandomHajileFeral
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular

You know this was mainly a thing when it was on local physical disk/raid arrays.

Unless you have tiered storage, there's basically no real benefit to this anymore.

And if your tiered storage is automated, there's literally no benefit to this anymore.

Not everyone has a good SAN

Feral
    edited June 2018
    Well.

They should.

Cog on
    bowen
    Not everyone can afford more than some hot garbage.

steam_sig.png
    XaviarSeidkonabowenInfideliTunesIsEvil
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

My boss is still very much in this mode when it comes to VMs. I'm like, look, this is one big array. Putting the OS on C: and the data on D: doesn't really matter. If data is accessed often, it gets put on flash. If not, it goes to disk. Automatically.

Cog
    You should at least segregate your OS drive and your data drive, even on a SAN, so:

1) your data drive filling up doesn't interfere with your OS
    2) if block size alignment is a concern (SQL or Exchange) you can format the data partition to the proper block size
    3) it makes it easier to detach the data from one VM and attach it to another for OS & application upgrades

FeldornCogAiouawunderbarApothe0sisZilla360

You can fuck right off.

This asshole keeps asking me to do big stuff for him.

I'm now just CCing every request to my boss with the subject line "help me prioritize"

He's still doing it.

I think he's doing it deliberately now.

Thawmus
    Make a rule to auto-forward those to your boss and just ignore them until your boss responds to each?

Drovek
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Never pre-order anything. Registered User regular
    New windows security update comes out, turbofucks 500 out of 1200 terminals from one client in one fell swoop.

Wish we had the supply chain ability to image and ship out 500 pcs in a week but we don't so I do some fuckery with the group policy, patch a registry hive, and remove the bastard patch until QA can unfuck the whole problem.

This discussion has been closed.