The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Star Trek: FNG

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 1 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Star Trek: FNG

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on
Zilla360FiendishrabbitcB557Skull2185Andy JoeNightslyrTofystedethQuidShadowfirezepherinDark Raven XMagicalGoatsCambiata

• Allaun SilverfoxAllaun Silverfox Registered User new member
    I would argue Commander Sisko is the most likely contender for swearing. The man gave zero ****s.

ShadowfireCalicaZilla360Cambiata
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Of course it needs swearing, it's 2017! Just like the 90's needed skateboards and backwards caps! Gotta keep it real, on the streets and so forth.

• sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    The idea of a Star Trek show I can't share with my kids makes me sad.

sig_nextwave.jpg
  • RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    My problem with the swearing isn't the 'bad words' it's how unnatural the dialogue is. Forced edginess never works.

As for Discovery, I'm mostly enjoying it. The best parts of it are when Burnham (god her character annoys the living shit out of me), the Klingons (the language just hurts my ears. We get it, you can force your actors to destroy their vocal chords, just translate that shit already), the silly drive (it's a prequel, and yet that drive was never mentioned again ever in any other Trek series. Why even make this a prequel?), and the ugly ship (whoever designed that thing should be shot, and then shot again) aren't on screen or involved. Basically I'm enjoying Jason Isaacs. I don't think it's terrible, or at least it's equally bad as most Trek has been. Apart from a few stand out episodes every season, Trek is mostly meh with some truly awful stuff. I still like watching it, much as one enjoys snacks. But it's worth it for the times we get, for example "The Measure of a Man".

RenegadePhantom on
  • ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Given Gabe's art style, that's actually a pretty good Saru!
    sullijo wrote: »
    Ditto.

• ApeAccountApeAccount Registered User new member
    It's hard to find the words to say how unnecessary I think swearing is on Star Trek. However let me borrow some words I've heard which may help.

Only a veruul would use such language in public. I don’t know what the hezmanah is wrong with these people but it just makes the dialogue sound like dren. It’s a pain in the nikta. The characters just come across as smegheads. The whole thing’s just fracked.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Cute'thulu Registered User regular
    Is it like, a lot of swearing in the new show? That's really weird for Star Trek.

forty
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Welcome back to the 80s/90s

People being torn apart, beaten, tortured, exploded, disintegrated, asphyxiated, implied/offscreen raped, and stabbed are fine family entertainment, oh and also animal abuse....but naughty words and suddenly its "think of the children".

So far I like the show and rate it worth watching. The production value (except that awful transporter room from the first couple of episodes) is really high. Even the Klingons as space orcs works in this context. I would argue so far this show is much better than TNG was 6 episodes in. There was some seriously cringy shit in the first TNG season

KalTorakkimecB557Zilla360
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 1
    []

Enlong on
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    They should just watch the actual currently airing Star Trek series, The Orville.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. Now updated to be accurate for the Summer Sale! Again!
    Descendant XNamrokShadowfireTalonSEPonyZilla360
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it like, a lot of swearing in the new show? That's really weird for Star Trek.

I can only remember it in one scene of one episode (though they pointed spotlights at it and shot off fireworks to make sure you noticed). I dunno, maybe CBS wanted to go "look, we couldn't do this if this was a regular broadcast show, this is totally worth paying extra to watch commercials on our shitty platform!"

Platform aside, I'm enjoying the show. I'm not a hardcore Trekker (though I'm really enjoying this new fashion/feminism/Trek podcast called "Treks and the City"), so it's fun to be half-discovering, half-remembering the world. Saru is my favorite character, but the captain, Michael, engineer guy and his doctor husband etc. are all interesting. I hope it gets a chance to expand.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Swearing is not inherently bad it’s how well it fits that matters

Also holy shit who knew I would ever enjoy a Braga produced Star Trek series again?

Because it may be called the Orville but it’s Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off.

And I enjoy the Orville’s more classic asthetic than Discovery’s Abrahms asthetic.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Descendant XObiFettNamrokMagicalGoatsCommander ZoomTalonSE
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I would argue Commander Sisko is the most likely contender for swearing. The man gave zero ****s.

Yes, and even he never said worse than damn.

Granted, other than Klingon, few alien words are known translations, and they're normally used in a way that makes it clear what kind of word it is. Garambas, for example, is Nausicaan for some kind of genital.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Miles O'Brien slipped in british swears all the time. God everyone forgets poor Miles.

Shameless Link whoring updated Fridays starting 1/26/17
    http://exterminatorsassistant.blogspot.com/
    Tofystedeth
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I really haven't noticed a ton of swearing in the show but what is there was out of place.

Like the first time they said (mild spoiler)
    Fuck. I would be fine if it was during a fight and someone got injured/surprised but, to just have Tilly say "fucking cool" out of the blue when they haven't show her to be someone who would just blurt that out is really disappointing and lessens the impact of it

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I've gotten so used to cursing in Movies and paid programming that I hardly even notice it anymore, except when its waved in front of your face like they did in Discovery. That said I enjoy Discovery and Orville pretty much equally but for different reasons. However, would I be willing to pay CBS for their independent platform to see it. No. If I wasn't able to get it for free I probably wouldn't bother to watch it.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I've only seen the first episode so far, and I'll probably end up watching it eventually, but the main thing that bothered me was the first officer and the general disrespect of the crew. I actually asked someone who had watched more episodes if the main character turns out to have been mind controlled when she did the horrible thing that happened in the first episode. So language is just another nail in that coffin for me. Star Trek officers have decorum. It's what sets them apart from other sci fis. There are plenty of space westerns: Star Trek, post TOS, is not one. One of my favorite things about the universe is that characters generally respect each other and a chain of command. They wear snappy uniforms. They follow orders. And they keep their language in check when in a professional environment.

The Klingons looking different doesn't bother me, but their ship aesthetic and entire culture has changed. This would be a great opportunity to introduce a new race, rather than the race which has been the main alien race a million times before. I'm just waiting for one of these super religious Egyptian priest Klingons to slip up and say "the gods" so I can blurt out: "THE KLINGONS KILLED THEIR GODS YOU HACKS!"

You know, not that it bothers me or anything.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

They drop 2 F bombs right after each other.
    But it's in the context of something being "fucking cool" eg, as an emphasizer in a positive context.
    As opposed to hostile/angry/sexual usage.

Also i think Burnham mutters a shit once when a angry space beast starts to chase her.

It's not game of thrones. People just notice it more based on the complete lack prior.

steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I have been balls deep into Star Trek longer than most people here have been alive and I still can't bring myself to be mad that someone said a thing was "fucking cool"

ShadowfireSneaks
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    All I'm saying is it's a space navy we're fucking over due here

TofystedethDiplominatorCambiata
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, but a space Navy that prioritizes military operations pretty low. More of its officers are scientists, diplomats, counselors, chefs, video game designers, and basket weavers than are combatants. Not to mention that most of the main characters tend to be officers as opposed to enlisted men.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Diplomats curse too. Sometimes you just need a really emphatic word.

steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, but a space Navy that prioritizes military operations pretty low. More of its officers are scientists, diplomats, counselors, chefs, video game designers, and basket weavers than are combatants. Not to mention that most of the main characters tend to be officers as opposed to enlisted men.

All of those people curse! Especially under stressful situations. They’re people!

Leon2309Commander ZoomcB557Rhesus Positive
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I don't get the outrage. But, I'd rather people be outraged that people said Fuck instead of them being outraged that gay people brush their teeth together.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Cute'thulu Registered User regular
    I'm not outraged or anything. Just an odd thing to come from Star Trek, no biggie.

forty
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell CharlottesvilleRegistered User regular
    ooh a chance to plug one of my favorite twitters, swear_trek

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562 | Pssst, hi Satan!
    CalicaYoungFreyEnlongBloodySloth
    I'm certainly not outraged. In my personal experience, people in professional environments don't swear very much. But I know that changes depending on the geographic location and type of business. And it's different now than it was ten years ago, etc. etc. I guess realism is not really the issue at all, since I imagine that a century or two from now English will be extremely different to the point of almost unrecognizable, if it's even spoken anymore.

I prefer Star Trek when its characters are calm and composed and rational, and I personally associate that with not swearing. But that's definitely a YMMV sort of thing. And just because I prefer the Picards, Datas, Tuvoks and Gareks doesn't mean that polite and rational characters are even the norm in ST as a whole. I always have to remind myself not to be blinded by my own personal notion of what Star Trek should be, since that's the cause of people often dismissing some (IMO) excellent shows like DS9 and Enterprise.

NamrokMagicalGoats
  • JackJack Registered User regular
    This is part of why their decision to make Discovery a prequel was very deliberate.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ooh a chance to plug one of my favorite twitters, swear_trek

He needs an addadictomy, stat!

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »

How come, is there fucking in it, too?

• KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    there's some pretty gruesome body horror in episode 3 that stuck in my mind for a few days.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    there's some pretty gruesome body horror in episode 3 that stuck in my mind for a few days.

Oh, don't get your knickers in a twist. ;-)

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh, don't get your knickers in a twist. ;-)

AAAAAHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Tofystedeth
  • JackBeenJackBeen Registered User regular
    edited November 13
    I think the F-bomb drop on Discovery was just horribly implemented.

I'm fine with people cursing... I curse a lot when not at work. And once or twice at work (never in anger). AND I'm fine with it being used on Trek.

But it was just so awkwardly done on that episode... between just inserting it and the delivery. I'm sure the actress was excited to be "the first one" to drop it in a Trek show. And maybe that crept into her delivery. But... yeesh.

So many better times to use it... like dozes of opportunities in the first 2 episodes to use it and seem like a bad-arse. Or someone use it in anger or as a threat. Instead of a bubbly shout-out just to rip off that bandage.

I think a scene in "Dead Like Me" said it best. Sometimes dropping a curse-word is just efficient: it emotes the scope of the situation and your feelings about the situation in 1-2 syllables.

JackBeen on
  • JackBeenJackBeen Registered User regular
    I'm certainly not outraged. In my personal experience, people in professional environments don't swear very much. But I know that changes depending on the geographic location and type of business. And it's different now than it was ten years ago, etc. etc. I guess realism is not really the issue at all, since I imagine that a century or two from now English will be extremely different to the point of almost unrecognizable, if it's even spoken anymore.

I prefer Star Trek when its characters are calm and composed and rational, and I personally associate that with not swearing. But that's definitely a YMMV sort of thing. And just because I prefer the Picards, Datas, Tuvoks and Gareks doesn't mean that polite and rational characters are even the norm in ST as a whole. I always have to remind myself not to be blinded by my own personal notion of what Star Trek should be, since that's the cause of people often dismissing some (IMO) excellent shows like DS9 and Enterprise.

Yeh, because Picard never angrily shouted out "Shut Up Wesley!"

That would be unprofessional and so unlike Jean Luc. But wait... he DID do that :biggrin:

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    JackBeen wrote: »

That would be unprofessional and so unlike Jean Luc. But wait... he DID do that :biggrin:

Or mutter a quiet, heartfelt, conveniently-untranslated "Shit."

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    JackBeen wrote: »

That doesn't count. Children don't belong in a starship anyway. ;)