As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chickens mate using a move called a [podcast thread]

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    crwth wrote: »
    I'm not surprised it works for some indigenous people; you can find the occasional Indian who doesn't mind Chief Wahoo or the Washington football team. Hell, Russell fuckin' Means was in, and a fan of, Disney's Pocahontas.

I still think it's dumb as fuck

"Look I found one person who likes it" is not a good argument

Look at Ben Carson

dude that’s a huge stretch

i found a dude who is like hey i like this character and i like that this story is being told, i didn’t find a guy who was cool with atrocious bullshit

no, if you aren't on the same bandwagon then your opinion doesn't matter and you'll be shouted down.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "I can't do impressions," Austin says, a month after unleashing a perfect Goldblum on Twilight Mirage

listen, you can't "do" a Goldblum

you channel Him, when the stars align just so

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    "I can't do impressions," Austin says, a month after unleashing a perfect Goldblum on Twilight Mirage

Austin swears that he wasn't trying to do a Goldblum at all there.

Which is to say Indie has the right of it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    no, if you aren't on the same bandwagon then your opinion doesn't matter and you'll be shouted down.

Basically the forum motto by now.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

Basically the forum motto by now.

"Now"

This place is built on the bones of a million dogpiles, that's just how shit goes sometimes

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I've straight up posted about how much I like Travis and have been told I am wrong and he Is Bad.

Being positive about things is difficult when stuff like that happens tbh.

Like, I loved the diversity in TAZ. I could have used a bi character, but I thought the characters were well realized and when I brought that up during the last drubbing, people told me they were doing it wrong and then I was talked past and over.

It doesn't feel good.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The idea that it is a bad thing to ask for change and improvement in things that you enjoy is absolute poison

Who is saying that, though?

All I'm getting is static from you. All negatives, no positives, and it happens frequently enough where I'm not really comfortable posting more than a few words about what I like because I don't need a lecture.

Honestly Mal

All we're getting from you is negative too

If you want to be positive about The Adventure Zone (as several people have been) then be positive about The Adventure Zone, rather than being negative about other people being negative

I still listen to most of the McElroy's content, and despite being extremely turned off by the end of the TAZ Balance arc, I'm a huge fan of the show and its characters overall

But I am also not required to give positives to "validate" my negatives

By the same token, you're totally allowed to like the adventure zone

I'm not going to take away from people who enjoy their good goofs, I'm not trying to steal your fun

I want the thing I like to do better about being extremely offensive, and right now BECAUSE they keep getting an enormous amount of positive feedback about their diversity choices, that does not seem to be the case

You telling me I'm trying to be "King Ally" is, whether you realize it or not, shouting down the other side just as much as you feel you're being repressed from talking about the good things you like about TAZ (which, again, you are free to do)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I've straight up posted about how much I like Travis and have been told I am wrong and he Is Bad.

Like, I loved the diversity in TAZ. I could have used a bi character, but I thought the characters were well realized and when I brought that up during the last drubbing, people told me they were doing it wrong and then I was talked past and over.

It doesn't feel good.

Keep in mind that a lot of the people who were extremely offended by Lup in this thread are, in fact, trans people

And now a native american is saying he is offended by this portrayal

People who live that life are upset by the portrayal, and they are saying so

I'm sorry you feel bad that you're being told the representation isn't as good as you thought, but its very, very important to listen to those voices

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    That'd be fine if all of the examples of people in those categories thinking the characters are fine to incredible weren't immediately dismissed as 'wrong' letting the conversation swing right back around to where some people have decided it needs to stay.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

It doesn't feel good.

Keep in mind that a lot of the people who were extremely offended by Lup in this thread are, in fact, trans people

And now a native american is saying he is offended by this portrayal

People who live that life are upset by the portrayal, and they are saying so

I'm sorry you feel bad that you're being told the representation isn't as good as you thought, but its very, very important to listen to those voices

I don't have a stake in this argument but it seems a bit incongruous to say you aren't trying to be King Ally and then tell someone that it is very important that they listen to certain voices (that you agree with)

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    GB Extra Life: I can now confirm, somebody just said cake factory

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Vinny is... having a good time with the mini-games?

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I heard Mario Party 2 is the best one

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Vinny is... having a good time with the mini-games?

seems false tbh

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I heard Mario Party 2 is the best one

In the way that there's a "best" strain of influenza to contract.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    When is Dan supposed to eat the chip?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Actually King Ally is the person who gives you missions in CoD: WW2

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    That'd be fine if all of the examples of people in those categories thinking the characters are fine to incredible weren't immediately dismissed as 'wrong' letting the conversation swing right back around to where some people have decided it needs to stay.

I don't want this to spiral out into a different and more complicated conversation, so I'll try and keep it limited to this - if I express my opinion on an indigenous portrayal, and the response is, "Well this other person who you don't know and whose story you don't know and whose opinions on fiction and representation in general you don't know said it was cool"

Well, it's really hard for me to give that much weight.

Also that dude said "if white people don't put our stories out there no one will" which is not only a bogus premise but also flat wrong. It ignores shit like the First Nations television network, the Cherokee Nation's osiyo.tv, the LA Skinsfest indigenous film festival, the TV writing fellowship that granted me a spot this year, and a metric shitton of indigenous artists and creatives. I'm gonna have a hard time not dismissing a dude who sounds like he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's also a huge difference between a screenshot of someone's Twitter saying that they think something is good and a person who is a member of this community saying that they think something is good. One is a static image - no matter how much we talk to it, it will never change. The other is someone who actually has amorphous beliefs that they can interrogate in the course of a conversation about said beliefs.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Dan being so worried about his hot chip is sustaining me.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dan is right, Mario Party is a game of skill.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’m really happy I don’t play roleplaying games for an audience. People assume I’m a cis het white dude, and I can only imagine the shit I’d get online playing things like L5R and trying to explore other cultural concepts like Honne and Tatemae.

Because I play roleplaying games to be other people. And that means when I try roleplaying a woman I am going to fuck shit up. But I’m not gonna to get better without trying. And I already am stuck with one life to live in reality. Why limit myself in fiction too

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I will say this:

If I had to play a Mario Party at gunpoint, I'd play 2.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I had to play a mario party game at gunpoint, I'd pull the trigger

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’m really happy I don’t play roleplaying games for an audience. People assume I’m a cis het white dude, and I can only imagine the shit I’d get online playing things like L5R and trying to explore other cultural concepts like Honne and Tatemae.

Because I play roleplaying games to be other people. And that means when I try roleplaying a woman I am going to fuck shit up. But I’m not gonna to get better without trying. And I already am stuck with one life to live in reality. Why limit myself in fiction too

I do think there are a few huge differences, particularly in RPGs

1. TAZ could easily go for diversity without going for representation. In other words they can have non-white/male/straight/cis characters, but without making that feature a huge part of their character and what they're all about. They already do that with female characters, they could easily do it with non-white characters. They can have non-binary characters and male characters that off-handedly reference their husband. At that point you just have to not fuck it up in some way (like burying their gays, which Griffin has done).

2. TAZ has an audience. TAZ has a lot more responsibility and potential to cause harm (and also do good) than you and I do playing RPGs in our living room.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    If I had to play a mario party game at gunpoint, I'd pull the trigger
    The truest form of Bowser's Big Blast

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    worth noting that it's much much harder for the marginalised to speak out critically about something

in the context of friends at the table, during counter/weight a few nbs I knew found the show to be struggling with its portrayal of non-binary individuals

as an nb myself I didn't personally struggle with them fucking up pronouns occasionally but it's still important to air those concerns out, and season 3 really picked up on that front

fatt generally used to have the opposite problem as TAZ, in that they often missed out on opportunities for listeners to find representation in their show because they didn't want to define characters by their diversity

C/w had a prominent asexual man and a transman but they kept that so close to the vest (understandably) that it had to be stated in the post-mortem

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm just glad that I don't do stuff like that for public consumption because I only ever play female characters and i'd probably fuck something up along the way.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I feel like it's a real difficult line to walk, wanting to represent marginalized people while at the same time not wanting the thing that makes them marginalized to be their primary character trait.

Especially when it's like... I dunno, announcing that a character is trans from the jump sets a real weird precedent, I guess.

• Options
    "All we have to do is flick balls." -Abby Russell, Nov 3rd 2017

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah I feel like it's a real difficult line to walk, wanting to represent marginalized people while at the same time not wanting the thing that makes them marginalized to be their primary character trait.

Especially when it's like... I dunno, announcing that a character is trans from the jump sets a real weird precedent, I guess.

Trans seems like a particularly weird one because the situations in which that comes up as something to be discussed just don't really occur in most TTRPGs.

Asexual is similar in that unlike gay/lesbian characters, where offhand comments can easily reveal orientation, ace is really only revealed by a very specific conversation or if your content frequently involves sex.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    transwomen are women at every stage of transition, including if they decide to never have an operation

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Yeah I went through a bunch of wordings for that and still fucked it up so I'm just gonna delete that whole part. Sorry.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    again, the thing with lup is that she's just announced as the trans woman and then it doesn't mean anything at all

She's just a token

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    one of the waypoint mods donated to the gb extra life stream but it ate his donation message so all that came through was FUK

which is on brand

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Lup was pretty much the same thing as Dumbledore, only they announced it before the start of play instead of after the end

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I just got home

has this stream been going all fucking day?

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what they do for Extra Life!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
This discussion has been closed.