As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Only ~13% of players are diamond or above.

Which is also where SR degredation kicks in.

So, uh... The place where it seems like you'd most want performance based weighting to account for excess people being at the rank that shouldn't be because of your outside non-performance things, where people generally play at least somewhat more sanely and consistently... THAT'S where they're removing it.

I don't get what they're thinking.

Also, sure as fuck doesn't affect me. First game of comp this afternoon, four instalock DPS, every single one YOLO charged the moment they spawned every time. I know this because I watched literally all of them run past me to 2v6 at best. I had 4 golds with ANA at the end of round 1 at one kill and one death. I only didn't have 5 because 0 Objective Kills period. Two of them then spent the entirety of the second round bitching at each other in chat while in spawn.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well the SR being closer might help.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Only ~13% of players are diamond or above.

Which is also where SR degredation kicks in.

So, uh... The place where it seems like you'd most want performance based weighting to account for excess people being at the rank that shouldn't be because of your outside non-performance things, where people generally play at least somewhat more sanely and consistently... THAT'S where they're removing it.

I don't get what they're thinking.

Also, sure as fuck doesn't affect me. First game of comp this afternoon, four instalock DPS, every single one YOLO charged the moment they spawned every time. I know this because I watched literally all of them run past me to 2v6 at best. I had 4 golds with ANA at the end of round 1 at one kill and one death. I only didn't have 5 because 0 Objective Kills period. Two of them then spent the entirety of the second round bitching at each other in chat while in spawn.

Theyr'e not. It's a reaction. It's a senseless half-measure so that they can say they did something in response to the ceaseless hordes of forumgoers and Redditors whining about how it keeps them in ELO hell. If they felt it was a slam-dunk positive they could have implemented it gamewide, instead we get this bizarre nonsense trying to please everyone to address a problem that's largely based on a collective fever-dream of the playerbase.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    If they're taking it out of the high ranks, it's not to please the people who think they're in Elo Hell, it's to please the people who think the """one-tricks""" are riding inflated SR gains to the top ranks. Fucking girls and mercies and torbs and symms in my top-skill tier, reeeeeee and so on.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Performance-based SR is precisely how you can escape from ELO Hell. That's basically its entire purpose, to help alleviate the issues with being entirely dependent on the skill of your teammates.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Performance-based SR is precisely how you can escape from ELO Hell. That's basically its entire purpose, to help alleviate the issues with being entirely dependent on the skill of your teammates.

I 100% agree and always say just that. Except the people at low ranks who whine about the system will just say that it punishes them, the good and selfless player, for flexing, or for doing the right thing to win. It's a convenient excuse, basically.
    Kupi wrote: »
    If they're taking it out of the high ranks, it's not to please the people who think they're in Elo Hell, it's to please the people who think the """one-tricks""" are riding inflated SR gains to the top ranks. Fucking girls and mercies and torbs and symms in my top-skill tier, reeeeeee and so on.

If they wanted to implement a change that would benefit the high ranks, they would take steps to address multiple accounts of the same player occupying top 500 spots, if such a thing is even possible.

The funny thing is, most of the infamous cases that blew up on Reddit of people that were GM with like a 42% winrate or some nonsense turned out to be false for varying numbers of reasons. DCs affecting out of game stats, or people that had some really aberrant group queue behavior. I haven't seen someone with a really low winrate on a one-trick at that high of SR in quite some time.

Plus, a change like this wouldn't at all impact one-trick behavior. Making SR gains slightly more volatile for someone who only prefers to play one character is NOT going to be the difference-maker. They picked such an extreme playstyle for reasons beyond the perception of potentially and abstractly inflated SR.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    "McCree, you have to switch, I got dibbs."
    "I picked first, McCree, switch to healer."
    "McCree, I won the dibbs. Switch."

The 'best' part? McCree's pair wasn't even in team chat. No, wait. It was that they were both awful and didn't get more than two kills the entire match (I know, because I had gold at two with Ana).

I'm rapidly coming over to the idea that Comp just straight up needs some kind of captain system to be the final arbiter of team comp and petty little imbecilic bullshit like this. God, just having one person be able to shut down the single shithole that fucks things up for the other five would help so much since Blizzard continues to seem to have little interest in doing it themselves despite all the talk of it.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    By definition, half the time a hero is played it's below average.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

When I play, it's 100%!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Yilias wrote: »

That's the definition of median, not average, damnit.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Don't be mean.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Don't be mean.

A+

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Omg Dragkonias that Genji was ridiculous.

Every time he saw me - I'm dead, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it lol

Chance on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Every time he saw me - I'm dead, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it lol

??? Oh, I was in a game with you?

I think I know what you're talking about.

• Options
    Gonna be funny when the SR change happens and there are still one tricks in GM.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »

??? Oh, I was in a game with you?

I think I know what you're talking about.

On Nepal. Well it was you or someone with your name on PSN. We had like 3 games together and I'm playing terribly so I felt very embarrassed lol.

• Options
    Oh. Yeah that was me. Honestly I just thought we needed Winston and a second healer.

• Options
    He was really, really good. Every time he killed me I'd watch the killcam and it was just textbook.

That, and I played really, really bad like all afternoon. I have excuses but it doesn't make me feel any better >.<

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

The 'best' part? McCree's pair wasn't even in team chat. No, wait. It was that they were both awful and didn't get more than two kills the entire match (I know, because I had gold at two with Ana).

I'm rapidly coming over to the idea that Comp just straight up needs some kind of captain system to be the final arbiter of team comp and petty little imbecilic bullshit like this. God, just having one person be able to shut down the single shithole that fucks things up for the other five would help so much since Blizzard continues to seem to have little interest in doing it themselves despite all the talk of it.

I still kinda think it might've been better if they'd stuck with the original plan of comp requiring premades. But then I don't play comp, so I don't have any stake in whether or not I get shut out of it.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I still kinda think it might've been better if they'd stuck with the original plan of comp requiring premades. But then I don't play comp, so I don't have any stake in whether or not I get shut out of it.

I'd be happy to just play QP... except that because of Comp, it's where you go to just fuck around and do whatever you want, so instead of any kind of sane team comp, 80+% of the time, it's three instalock DPS, two of which are almost always Hanzo, Genji, or Widow, followed by a fourth DPS the moment one of the other people selects a healer or tank. Maybe the last one will be guilted into making sure there's at least one of whatever's missing, maybe not! But who cares! "It's QP! It's supposed to be a shitshow!"

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I'd be happy to just play QP... except that because of Comp, it's where you go to just fuck around and do whatever you want, so instead of any kind of sane team comp, 80+% of the time, it's three instalock DPS, two of which are almost always Hanzo, Genji, or Widow, followed by a fourth DPS the moment one of the other people selects a healer or tank. Maybe the last one will be guilted into making sure there's at least one of whatever's missing, maybe not! But who cares! "It's QP! It's supposed to be a shitshow!"

I wonder if that idea would persist if people couldn't solo-queue (or two or three-queue) for Comp?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    "Overwatch has crashed."
    --Reload. Rejoin match--
    "You will be removed for inactivity in 3, 2..."
    "You have been removed for inactivity."

Thanks, Blizzard.

Has anybody else been having a bunch of random crashes since the last update? Nothing's changed on my system, but it was stable for months. Last couple weeks has been a random crash about one every ten games.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »

I 100% agree and always say just that. Except the people at low ranks who whine about the system will just say that it punishes them, the good and selfless player, for flexing, or for doing the right thing to win. It's a convenient excuse, basically.

Except that's true? One tricking to improve your stats will get you more SR compared to flexing.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Except that's true? One tricking to improve your stats will get you more SR compared to flexing.

Right but I think the point he's making is people at low ranks will latch on to any excuse they can to explain their rank rather than acknowledge that maybe they're just not as good as they think and they're right where they should be.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

Kupi wrote: »

If they wanted to implement a change that would benefit the high ranks, they would take steps to address multiple accounts of the same player occupying top 500 spots, if such a thing is even possible.

The funny thing is, most of the infamous cases that blew up on Reddit of people that were GM with like a 42% winrate or some nonsense turned out to be false for varying numbers of reasons. DCs affecting out of game stats, or people that had some really aberrant group queue behavior. I haven't seen someone with a really low winrate on a one-trick at that high of SR in quite some time.

Plus, a change like this wouldn't at all impact one-trick behavior. Making SR gains slightly more volatile for someone who only prefers to play one character is NOT going to be the difference-maker. They picked such an extreme playstyle for reasons beyond the perception of potentially and abstractly inflated SR.

If it were true performance based SR, I'd be getting positive points for healing 40% of my team's damage during a draw. But no, because my dps can't hit shit even though I'm pocketing them, I just lit 30 minutes on fire.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I can't seem to find a good fix online and I've exhausted my brain trying to figure this out. My in game sound for Overwatch (and only Overwatch) is incredibly low. I've tried going into my volume mixer, changed the bit format, gone into my sound card settings, and whathaveyou. I even restarted my computer, twice, and it didn't help.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    So it seems Tracer has a cameo in that movie that everyone already hates with a fiery passion

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ....really?

Are they going to throw fidget spinners in too?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I never heard of Ready Player One until this year but it seems like one big nerd power fantasy stereotype.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    ....really?

Are they going to throw fidget spinners in too?

What do you think powers Tracer's warp drive?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I never heard of Ready Player One until this year but it seems like one big nerd power fantasy stereotype.

That's pretty much what it says on the dust jacket.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ready player one is really impressive because if you read it it's so much worse than you imagine it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What the hell are either of them doing there?

They're not from the 80's! Movie ruined.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    What the hell are either of them doing there?

They're not from the 80's! Movie ruined.

Neither are the WETA Orcs next to them.

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    WETA? Women For the Ethical Treatment of Animals?

Now that's just exclusionary for the sake of being exclusive!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Widowmaker main guy gets snippy in voice chat because I didn't suicide onto the point in Dva to defend on Anubis and we lose.

Next match he's on the other team on Ilios and still on Widow. Can't touch him directly on Ruins (he spent all map on that tall ruin in the center of their side of the map), so I just work on ruining everybody else's day on Roadhog to a win. Second map is Lighthouse, so Winston gets to dance on his corpse multiple times.

Next game he's back on my team, and quiet as a mouse the entire time.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Nobody wrote: »
    Widowmaker main...

My greatest counter shame was one insane Widow I fought on Hollywood that my Winston could, at best, distract for a little while (she had a pocket Mercy).

My next vid is entirely about Widowmaker rivalries, good and bad. It'll get posted today!

Chance on
  • Options
    Man, for some reason half the Deathmatches I played last night had heavily lopsided lineups. Off the top of my head, there was a Chateau match with 3 McCrees in the top 4, an Eichenwald with 3-4 Genjis (only two made top 4), and another Eichenwald with 3 Widowmakers and an Ana. These were all with fairly different groups of players too. The fact this all came after I played a 1v1-limited where my opponent and I ended up picking the same characters every round just gave the night a weird vibe.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So you know there has been a lot of talk about Lucio and this isn't a nerf or buff thing...rather just thinking about the idea of impact when it comes to supports.

Also I'm thinking about his rework compared to Mercy's and while Mercy's made her a much more fun character to play and play against, I think for the most part Lucio stayed the same, stuff just got easier and he got both buffed and nerfed.

Not saying they need to do anything as he's not over or underpowered rn, though who knows with how fast the meta shifts. Just thinking how impact-wise he has the least oomph to him of the supports.

Used to be beat drop was his big swing-y thing and while its still great, the addition of Moira and Mercy's ult change more or less gives almost every support some version of that while also allowing them some other utility.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    The thing that's hurt Lucio the most recently was the change to immediately lose ult charge the moment you hit the button, whether or not it comes out. The mandatory windup, plus even more if you're in the air at all, like you're supposed to be, and the super slow charge rate he gets has made him feel even less satisfying than usual since you lose your ult completely half the time if you're using it at the point where you'd actually need it, in the middle of a fight with other ults going off. So now it's only good for like... engaging. And just straight up worse than Zen's in almost every way except maybe initial damage spike.

He needs a completely new ult. I suggest an omnidirectional megaboop from the point of origin scaling with his height when the button is pressed, total CC immunity during the fall. Do it low, get a minor boop. Do it from the top of the building, and you're clearing the payload and then some.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif