As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It kinda' sucks that the MEKA didn't get a meaningful overhaul like it has with Cruiser, Scrapper or Officer D.Va - just a few cosmetic additions like Palanquin :(

Edit for totp:

2qt1zdhvmlbw.jpg

Its legs should clearly end in paws, for example.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Somebody tell the Blizzard that it is the year of the _DOG_.

Gimme Goofyhog.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    4 new highlight intros - Winston, Soldier, Bastion and Ana. They're all pretty awesome >.<

https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/new-highlight-intros-overwatch-20425

I'd happily trade Dragon Dance and Hurdles for an intro of this quality for Tracer >.<

Chance on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Those are all rad, but I would not trade Dragon Dance for anything. I love that Tracer emote.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    dat bast intro

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I kinda want all of those intros.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Why have a new Ana intro when you're never going to see it.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Why have a new Ana intro when you're never going to see it.

Blue moons happen from time to time!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    That Ana intro only points out something i never noticed before. What's the deal with her muzzle break there? Would that even be functional? Yes, yes, videogame and all that. I'm just curious, very limited in my knowledge of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    That Ana intro only points out something i never noticed before. What's the deal with her muzzle break there? Would that even be functional? Yes, yes, videogame and all that. I'm just curious, very limited in my knowledge of them.

Nope! It's uh, so when she drops the rifle to sleep dart somebody that end of the barrel doesn't get clogged with dirt.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    FFA is so much fun. Nice change of pace to not have the existential dread of a possible leaver/thrower. It's also been excellent practice for murdering/surviving without worrying about teammates. The kill confirm and escapability skills pretty much transfer to any other mode, too. Also so much fun to dominate as a Lucio main, nobody expects supports to be effective in DM until a wall-riding frog demon appears from nowhere to knock them off the map. The other day I went 20-3 and the next closest player only had 12 kills. Felt super proud. And had this gloriously salty exchange with a Hanzo:

"Lucio, enough with the boops, ffs"

"I'll stop booping when you stop using scatter arrow."

"...he's not going to stop guys..."

Slortex on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Lucios have ended me in FFA more times than I want to admit.

And not by booping. (I learned to never stand next to cliffs early.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I've had lucios chase me down and punch me to death. In the right hands he's a terror...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What makes characters strong / weak / annoying changes in FFA. But the characters get played almost the same way all the time, going to the same places.

Mei is basically a kill-steal-enabler. As in she will weaken or slow someone down, but the time it takes opens the door for someone to hang around her and keep taking the credit. She will always be in the basement or the adjoining rooms.

Moira is one of the better last-hit stealers thanks to her ball, especially when it's expertly deployed as a set-and-forget to bounce around in a room. Like Mei she basically runs laps around the basement area, where the ball can bounce around someone a lot.

Genjis fight you the exact same way every time; look for a fight to break out, stars until attention is turned onto him, reflect, dash, then more stars. Lucio is almost the same way in that he can cruise around and look for easy boops or kill snipes. In both cases they will circle around the map until many people are in the middle, then it's time to snipe anyone running from those fights.

Ana goes one of two ways; either the person is an expert sniper so they ruin you (will hang out in the outside areas), or they rely on sleep-grenade-shot for kills (will stick to the basement).

Winston is basically THE pick you want to make if you're playing in a sniper-heavy game. If there's 4 (or more somehow) Hanzos + Widows, be Winston. Leap on them, get the easy kills, heal, and repeat. Ana is the riskier one to add to this count because she can self heal and actually burst damage upclose without relying on a headshot, and sleep to recover or buy time for a cooldown. That said, he and Rein become auto-targets for everyone. In both cases I've seen people stop their fighting to team up on the big guy showing up. Easy target, easy point to gain, etc.

Doesn't apply to Roadhog. He is generally left alone because people know he will self-heal. Which is DUMB because if you focus fire him so what if he has a self-heal?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I play junkrat in DM FFA almost exclusively. I am never not in top 4 and routinely am first and it’s all completely stress free. Bombs away!

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Doesn't apply to Roadhog. He is generally left alone because people know he will self-heal. Which is DUMB because if you focus fire him so what if he has a self-heal?

Problem is that the other enemies are probably getting involved. So you can either focus the Hog and hope that they don't get picked by someone else, or that you haven't taken enough damage to get picked yourself. My aim is ok, but I can't land enough shots to reliably down a Hog through the self heal without one of the above happening. So I usually try to avoid the fat man

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The tanks in FFA usually aren't worth the effort to kill unless you're playing Reaper, Junkrat or can boop them. Especially Dva.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I just like to play Junkrat and watch stuff get blown up. Preferably not myself until some other people have died. I dunno why people get so salty about Deathmatch Chateau. FFA modes always seemed like lolrandom clusterfucks to me anyway. If they want a serious tryhard test of their skills they should go play comp.

Accidentally posted this in the other Overwatch thread.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ugh, I just got slaugtered by an entire team of six smurf accounts.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I play junkrat in DM FFA almost exclusively. I am never not in top 4 and routinely am first and it’s all completely stress free. Bombs away!

The correct approach to Deathmatch is to take Doomfist, build ult, and Meteor Strike other people's fights.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    People don't focus roadhog because it's way easier to kill the other people shooting roadhog and then running away.

Note: If you're going to Winston, actually bubble dance or Hanzo can't help but headshot you. It was sad how many times I killed them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    junkrat is fun in FFA for ruining other people's fights

• Options
    Has anyone noticed that Shutdown +50 fire never appears when you kill a Valking Mercy? At first I thought I just wasn't killing her fast enough, but I reviewed a vid of a game where I picked her like 1.5 seconds after she Valks, and the ult shutdown didn't pop.

Is this a known thing? Killing a Valking Mercy without the benefit of Deadeye or TacVisor feels like a real accomplishment. I want to get credit for it!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Zenyatta's new epic face reminds me of Ultraman Belial

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Chance wrote: »
    Holy shitfuck, why the fuck am I getting worse and worse at those fucking shitgame. I started out at SR3000 two seasons ago, and now fell to 2470, and no matter what I fucking do, 5 plays of the game in a row and 3/4 gold medals most games, I always fucking lose, because my fucking teammates fall for the most stupid shit AND don't listen to a single word I say, write or emote.

Edit: and I ALWAYS try to stay positive, but it's really fucking hard, when every single thing I predict turns true, and every weakness I see gets exploited mercilessly.

My experience this season is entirely anecdotal, but I've found I'm most successful when I don't communicate with my team at all, beyond ult readiness callouts. In voice chat, it's 15% nice, helpful teams that works together, 40% shrieking children or toxic dickbags, and 45% silence.

Those 15% of games are awesome, and I'm sorry to see them go, but the tilt I experience with the 40% has a real and negative impact on my play, and the game's outcome. I've been enjoying myself a lot more by just not joining team chat.

I know Overwatch is a team game, I know communication's important, I know it would (theoretically) actually let me set up ult combos with the Zarya on my team - but I'm playing better and having more fun and winning more games without it :(

All that being said...

If you're consistently performing better than teams at your level, in theory, the more comp games you play, the more it should balance out - you'll get shit players as often as the enemy team does, on average, theoretically - and you'll start seeing the results of your skill. I don't know how many games you played in the last 2 seasons, but the best answer may be to just keep on truckin'. Otherwise, you might wanna' consider the day of the week or time of day you're playing. Weekends tend to have an influx of mid-tier players (like me!), and I'll be more successful than weeknights when Teh Hardcorez are playin'.

Also, when I'm in a game that seems to be clearly going south, I stop caring about what my team is doing beyond its capacity to act as a distraction for what I'm about to do. When my team's just getting owned but I feel like I'm still able to contribute (i.e. it's not a massive stomp with exceptionally-skilled enemies), that's when I'll pull a flank and try to make a big play. But if you're scoring PotG a lot, you're probably already doing that.

I don't care if people communicate as long as they act like a team. If you make good picks and perform well and understand the basic gameplay mechanics that anyone who goes into competitive should understand, then do you.

When you've got a 2 stack that refuses to

A) Join team chat (I know you don't but I imagine you don't fall into the rest of these)
    B) Show any basic knowledge of composition
    C) Switch off characters to completely different classes without telling anyone
    D) Group up

Then I mean, fuck you basically. I've gotten entire games both teams to report this, because it really is shitty sportsmanship and teamplay. I've had other teams ask why our whoever is throwing the game, like our offensive Tjorb on Volskaya that switched from Reinhardt without telling anyone then complained nobody defended his turrets and that's obviously why we lost.

I've also had it in almost every single goddamned game for the last week.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I understand there's a certain limit to peoples knowledge of comp on the lower end of the spectrum (Silver), but the basic stuff like a common 2/2/2 comp... or not picking 2 snipers on offense... or refusing to play at all because someone took your Junkrat...

Just jesus. These people need to stop playing competitive.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm having a heckuva time trying to find a cool song for my next video. I'm trying not to use something old-timey, but nothing is really grabbing me and inspiring me.

...does anyone have any suggestions? Right now Demon Kitty Rag by Katzenjammer is the frontrunner. ...maybe Little Swing by Sis Nora. Or rap. I dunno.

Chance on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm having a heckuva time trying to find a cool song for my next video. I'm trying not to use something old-timey, but nothing is really grabbing me and inspiring me.

...does anyone have any suggestions? Right now Demon Kitty Rag by Katzenjammer is the frontrunner. ...maybe Little Swing by Sis Nora. Or rap. I dunno.

Caravan Palace is a great band. They do electro-swing. Maybe something like "Lone Digger" or "Rock it for me." Music videos for each in the spoiler:
    Lone Digger WARNING: This video is a bit NSFW due to blood/violence and stripper antelopes
    Rock it for me

Cruor on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The patch is out but server still down.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »

Caravan Palace is a great band. They do electro-swing. Maybe something like "Lone Digger" or "Rock it for me." Music videos for each in the spoiler:
    Lone Digger WARNING: This video is a bit NSFW due to blood/violence and stripper antelopes
    Rock it for me

Way ahead of you on Lone Digger.

https://youtu.be/zYXL7RyUzJQ

I've been thinking about using Comics (I absolutely love that song), but it's not really workin' so far. I almost want to re-use Lone Digger 'cause I'm sitting on some of my best PotGs since the 5-k halfway through the above vid. :(

• Options

Mercy and Junk changes are not included.

• Options
    Dear god there is a 800 player queue.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Well... I got in and played about 2 minutes of it. Then the crash and the infinite server queues.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Electro-swing is so overused for highlight reels.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Mercy and Junk changes are not included.

The fucking fuck put them in already so you can move on to other things that need work, Blizzard. It's not like it matters to your precious Overwatch League.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Dear god there is a 800 player queue.

Lucky you. I have 5000. First time I had an "unexpected server error" after queue and lost connection. Second try, I managed to get in and join a DM queue, then got booted again as soon as the queue was finished. Now waiting in login queue again...

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Electro-swing is so overused for highlight reels.

This is true, but I still love Lone Digger. And DPStanky's King of Swing vid is an all-time classic.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As with all new things I hate the Blizzard World map. It's dumb and I don't know it yet so therefore it is bad.

Also it's a hybrid map, I didn't realize there was a payload 'til half-way through the match.

Also there's a pit. Who builds a pit into a themepark?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    @Chance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

@Virgil_Leads_You linked this in a phalla game last year. The video is (intentionally) like a car accident; terrible, but you can't look away. But the music seems like it'd be good for a clip video. Sidenote: the singer the old lady is lip-synching is rumored to be Jack White.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Chance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

@Virgil_Leads_You linked this in a phalla game last year. The video is (intentionally) like a car accident; terrible, but you can't look away. But the music seems like it'd be good for a clip video. Sidenote: the singer the old lady is lip-synching is rumored to be Jack White.

Y'know... actually this song pops up in my head a few times a year but I never really consider it. Good call ^.^