As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Sometimes, I look at other heroes and think, "Yeah, okay. Maybe that character is one of my favorites. Maybe that character could be my favorite." Zen. Torb. D.va. Roadhog. Soldier.

And then I see things like this, and it's just like... how could there ever be any doubt? Mercy is the shit. That statue is delightful.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Sometimes, I look at other heroes and think, "Yeah, okay. Maybe that character is one of my favorites. Maybe that character could be my favorite." Zen. Torb. D.va. Roadhog. Soldier.

And then I see things like this, and it's just like... how could there ever be any doubt? Mercy is the shit. That statue is delightful.

Yeah, this is the one statue I've been waiting on. I originally was gonna buy the Tracer one, but they screwed up my order and cancelled it (they went beyond the original estimated ship date and credit card expired like the month before the actual ship date... so even though my new one was the same number, they just outright cancelled the order instead of asking me to update it or anything). After that I was a bit sour on it and decided I'd just wait on Mercy instead.

Still their store sucks ass. Wasn't able to buy this with my credit or debit card - kept declining both. Had to go through paypal and have that charge my credit card which finally worked. Their gear store is literally the only place I've ever had this problem...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would instabuy American McCree statue, the kind of thing that historians would preserve for inspiration and morale against the real-lie inevitable robot uprising.

If they would actually make it I literally can't even

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Everyone please post a lot to take that Mercy statue off the latest page before I make a poor choice.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Everyone please post a lot to take that Mercy statue off the latest page before I make a poor choice.

There's some good OWL matchups coming up today. :+1:

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I hate when the most interesting match is the last one (in this case, London vs Houston). I can’t stay up that late!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The command center stream is so bad.
    zJXN2Arh.jpg
    I can't see shit! Do you think I'm watching this on a 30" 4K monitor? You're also making me dizzy with your useless spectator view whipping around! How did you think this was worth $30?

Coinage on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Ever Upward, baby.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    lmao that's terrible

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah command center is dumb. I want to control it myself. All feeds.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I realize people want to watch the player for streams for whatever reason, but why would you have that view in a competitive game?

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Are these going to be new characters or just npc minibosses? I like the blades assassin...

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Every time I check out the stream they're on break, and then I just go back to playing the game instead.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Overwatch freezes up seconds at a time before going black without an error. I hope its not my GPU, I just got it replaced via warranty.

EDIT - It can't be the GPU, no other game is doing it and 3DMark stress testing doesn't have the symptoms.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Are these going to be new characters or just npc minibosses? I like the blades assassin...
    They will definitely only reuse assets to make some skins. New heroes are too important to be recycling.

• Options
    Musicool wrote: »
    Every time I check out the stream they're on break, and then I just go back to playing the game instead.

It seems like they’ve added essentially another break after the first map on top of halftime, which is just dumb.

They’re trying to fly before they can even walk, check yourself OWL. You’ve got more filler than a Netflix Marvel show right now wut wuuuuuut.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the villains in the trailer were
    double bladed genji alt costume
    widow alt (or widow in a cool outfit)
    double machine gun guy that looks all new?
    was there a fourth one?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    was there a fourth one?

The double-bladed one could perch against the wall, like early (but post Genji/Hanzo mitosis) Genji was going to be capable of.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I can't see shit! Do you think I'm watching this on a 30" 4K monitor? You're also making me dizzy with your useless spectator view whipping around! How did you think this was worth $30?

i mean

if you're willing to drop $30 on a video game competitive stream, you probably are the kind of person who buys a 30" 4K monitor

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

i mean

if you're willing to drop $30 on a video game competitive stream, you probably are the kind of person who buys a 30" 4K monitor

The feed is 1080p. On my 30" monitor the resolution is far outstripping the feed and that sucks for that sort of thing. Certainly not getting my money in this iteration. They are going to have to step it up substantially on many fronts. And I'm a person who would be willing to spend the money.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Guys I'm currently living the Doomfist Nightmare.

Pharah, McCree, Widowmaker, Roadhog, Brigitte, on Nepal.

Send help.

Round 2 Update: We won this round. Hold onto your hats bois and gals.

VICTORY. I am a golden gaming god.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    was there a fourth one?

I think they're all new units, they just share some of the same archetypes as existing heroes. Everything's been done before when you look at it that way. I'm sure their ability set is simplistic since they're just NPCs though.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    what is the double machine gun guy? An orisa alt? I don't think anyone currently has guns like were shown.

in thinking about types of weapons/damage, you have close range, mid range, and long range but a lot of characters fall into multiple areas with alternate weapons. For example Mei's alt fire is actually a decent long range weapon but it's a lot less fun than her close range. Mcree kills up close with flash but most of the time you want to keep him at mid or long range if possible. Brig is really close with one mid range cooldown attack that's fairly hard to hit with. Most of the tanks are all close with some mid-range on Orisa, Roadhog, and Dva. A new Tank that has a lot of hp but can only shoot mid/long (artillery) range would be interesting. Something like a arched rocket launch that you can't (easily) shoot close. Make them vulnerable if the team doesn't keep things off them but good at breaking up fortified positions. Maybe too similar to junkrats stuff though.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't think they would really be a tank if they needed their team to protect them. That sounds more like Bastion.

• Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't think they would really be a tank if they needed their team to protect them. That sounds more like Bastion.

I think I understand the concept that he was looking for, but it might be a bit harder to pull off.
    Tank is an interesting concept in an FPS. In WoW, they have HPs and taunts. They stand in front and say "go no further"
    In an FPS they have HP sure, but no taunt. They are more of a "go somewhere else" area control.
    DVA, Reinhart, Zarya, Roadhog are all great at saying "Don't be near me, go away or die".
    Roadhog and Orisa are really good at saying "That doorway...don't come through it..."
    Winston and DVa are great at saying "Wherever you go, don't go alone..."
    I think what Pailryder wants is a tank that says "Oh, don't stand there. Right there. That room? It's mine now..." but to have that area be a distance from themselves.
    So why a tank and not Junkrat? Well two thoughts. One is HP, 2 is method.
    Junkrat is definitely squishy. What if you had someone that could set up a damage zone, like say a Torbjorn lvl 1 turret, but that the source of the damage was harder to kill? Like a mobile command unit that could do it's thing from a distance. Not high damage, but something that you have to deal with the large HPs before it goes away.
    Method: What if it was low area damage? What if it was like a fleet of drones that you send around? What if instead of damage it was vision obscuring or movement slowing?

The Command Center would have to get vision on an area to send the drone/fire the laser/lay down the ice fog or whatever, but then they wouldn't have to stick around. They could go hide in a corner and hope flankers don't find them. Or go stand with the team and be protected. And then move their control zone as needed. I dunno, it's just a fun thing to think about. Thumbs up to all discussioners for the fun speculation.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Area control is supposed to fall under defense characters not really tanks

We don't have any real defense/tank hybrids yet though

• Options
    I love genjis who get all cocky when I'm on bastion thinking I don't know how to bait a reflect and then murderize when it drops.

• Options
    all weapons work at zero range is kind of a thing i was also trying to state. although pharah and soldier get hurt by their own, everyone else can shoot someone in their face easily. what if a character couldn't shoot someone in their face, only at range?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Area control is supposed to fall under defense characters not really tanks

We don't have any real defense/tank hybrids yet though

Mei is kinda close. Can wall off people which is a makeshift shield, and can go immune to stall. She is also dangerous to be near which is something else most tanks have.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One possibility would be a poison gas attack of some kind, maybe. Fires out as a small, ineffectual spray, then expands into a damaging cloud at some length.

Definitely would want to pair that with a 3-4 second cooldown knockback skill, just to make sure you can still keep space as a tank and force them to go back through your cloud.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    where is tuxedo junkrat and bikini roadhog eh where is ur TASTE blizzard

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I would kill for Tracer in a suit.

• Options
    where is tuxedo junkrat and bikini roadhog eh where is ur TASTE blizzard

mankini Roadhog.

• Options
    Widow buff idea that's so good it should already have been implemented: Infra-sight lets you find turret, teleporter/shield generator and riptire if it's on the field.

• Options
    Omg sexy hanzo

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Zek wrote: »

In an FPS they have HP sure, but no taunt. They are more of a "go somewhere else" area control.

I'd be down for a taunt-tank. I can see the tears of all the shooter players now.

"This hero isn't fun! He takes my aim away from me! He makes me shoot what I don't want to shoot! And then he gets stronger and kills me! Disables are dumb and tanks shouldn't be able to kill my favourite dps hero!"

They wouldn't be wrong, I'd just enjoy farming the salt from their tears.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Neither of those points are wrong, though. Taunts are a ridiculous mechanic for PvP with time to kills of under like three seconds, and tanks as they are right now are too good at solo killing DPS. And I say that as a tank player.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Neither of those points are wrong, though. Taunts are a ridiculous mechanic for PvP with time to kills of under like three seconds, and tanks as they are right now are too good at solo killing DPS. And I say that as a tank player.

I don't disagree. I mean, except that tanks are already too good at killing dps. D.Va might still need some minor retuning, sure.

I might be interested in a tank whose tanking skill is like the old Titanfall reflective-shield-hand thing. The one that catches all shots for a limited time then sends them back out in a burst later. It's a little close to Genji's deflect and Zarya's bubble mecehanics but eh, if it makes for a new fun tank then I'm down with some design overlap.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png