Options

STEAM

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Also the "Lie, Doubt, Truth" system was kinda garbo.

Why is doubt even there??

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I really dislike dialogue choices where the game doesn’t tell me exactly what I’m going to say.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think there's some really interesting ideas to be explored with dialogue choices where the game doesn't tell you what you're going to say, and I'd love to see an exploration of that

Honestly I find games that tell you exactly what you're going to say just as frustrating sometimes, as they don't capture tone or intent very well most of the time

I'd be very interested in, for instance, a game where you didn't choose exactly what you were going to say, but you chose what your character's intent in that conversation was

And then what you say and the tone you use is dependent on how you've defined your character in other aspects of the game (either through directly selecting options with character creation or through other choices made throughout the game)

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's kinda hard to do a detective game that gives you the dialogue prompts without giving away exactly what to investigate

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Started playing valkyria chronicles the other night. Took a while to get used to the fact that enemies get essentially infinite overwatch fire as long as your character is not aiming.

Does the game expect you to do the skirmishes to keep pace with the story difficulty or are those purely extra money/xp/want to shoot more things but can't rerun story battles.

You can easily cheese skirmishes to overlevel your people (especially scouts). A no-skirmish run is doable but challenging. I would at least make sure you can keep up with the latest weapon tier for each class and reach the elite upgrade for at least a couple before the enemy does.

Cool. I'm currently only on the mission where you cross the river and take back the bridge. For TRPGs like this or the recent XCOM games i tend to play the battles like a puzzle so when things go badly my first impulse is to start it over and try and optimize my move order, positioning, target priority etc. Sometimes ill spend hours doing this on one battle when maybe just grinding out some experience on skirmishes would be a better idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in, for instance, a game where you didn't choose exactly what you were going to say, but you chose what your character's intent in that conversation was

Alpha Protocol does exactly this. You're also given a strict time limit to choose how you want to handle exchanges. I hear the rest of the gameplay is a total mess, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwyR0opiAas

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alpha Protocol seemed to be a bunch of cool ideas surrounded by intolerable gameplay.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    That's how dragon age 2 and 3 work also, isn't it?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Alpha Protocol seemed to be a bunch of cool ideas surrounded by intolerable gameplay.

I quickly discovered that for the most part I could karate basically all the bad guys, so I did, from what I recall of my playthrough of it.

• Options
    IIRC, DA2/3 had moments where you had to respond quickly but overall it wasn't timed?

• Options
    That's how dragon age 2 and 3 work also, isn't it?

To an extent. They have the same dialogue paraphrasing that Mass Effect and some other games have, but they also added icons to each choice to help you understand the tone of each choice and also whether or not it will yield specific results.

Alpha protocol has nothing BUT the equivalent of the icons, and also imposes a time limit. It's intended as a core gameplay mechanic, rather than strictly story/character stuff.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It's a different thing, but I really love how New Vegas rewrites your dialogue options based on what your score in the stat is

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

The plot was also garbage.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Alpha Protocol has the best stealth crouch-walk of any video game, objectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyD62XH-Tl0

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    IIRC, DA2/3 had moments where you had to respond quickly but overall it wasn't timed?

I have no memory whatsoever of this. Are you sure of that?

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

I have no memory whatsoever of this. Are you sure of that?

Absolutely not!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I really dislike dialogue choices where the game doesn’t tell me exactly what I’m going to say.
    In LA Noire they weren't really dialogue choices per se, it was more of a simple gameplay system where you try to determine which option has its conditions met to use. If they said something you can disprove with your evidence, you pick lie and the evidence that contradicts them. If their face changes from the default animation but you can't disprove anything they said, then you use doubt. If neither of those, you use truth.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    My engagement with LA Noire's interrogation system was to pick the option that got the piano chime, and if not reload until I did. Needless to say I didn't engage with the game as much as I would've liked even though I liked the setting a lot.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Alpha Protocol has the best stealth crouch-walk of any video game, objectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyD62XH-Tl0

I literally laughed out loud the first time I saw it. I bought that game on release day, in an actual store, for full price. Then I saw that animation and thought "oh dear, this is going to be a shit pile isn't it?"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It is.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    yeah, I have no problem telling folk to cheese the gameplay as much as possible if they're curious about the game

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Honestly that Alpha Protocol stealth looks more accurate to how real people try to sneak around than most games

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I could move around in that posistion for about fifteen seconds before some part of my body rebelled

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the game itself was tolerable.

Now, the hacking minigames...

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    speaking games with neat ideas, but maybe not the best execution, for honor is having a free weekend if a new player teams up with a old player you both get free shit. who wants to get free shit with me?

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I could move around in that posistion for about fifteen seconds before some part of my body rebelled

Yeah, but compare that to the stealth of most videogames, in which you do the deepest squat imaginable and then walk around in it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

Yeah, but compare that to the stealth of most videogames, in which you do the deepest squat imaginable and then walk around in it

c9eu6gI.jpg

my joints are augmented

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I never asked for this

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Officer baby legs?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I never asked for these telescoping legs

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I never asked for these go-go-Gadget rollerblades

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

You're making them work though!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

WHOOPS *slides off down a steep incline*

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    great now I'm thinking about how dumb and shitty mankind divided was

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

i am real glad i skipped that one.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

also how the game's ending resolves nothing and there are serious doubts if there will be a sequel anytime soon

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    give me a deus ex game where I play as street trash who has to scrounge and find deals for new cybernetics

eff all this cutting edge stuff, give me the punk part of cyberpunk back

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    adam jensen might be the least punk character ever created

• Options
    Jensen is such a square he runs on an Atari

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What about

Richie Rich

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.