• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What about

Richie Rich

L7 all the way.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Re: Alpha Protocol: when I get to Seattle I'm thinking of pitching a daily sixty minute stream called Billable Hour where maybe I'd play shitty games for donations.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It always weirds me out when I see a studio sign up with a major publisher, right after that publisher just got done fucking over another studio (Like when Bungie signed up with Activision right after they fucked over the Call of Duty creators). I can't believe they did this RIGHT AFTER EA killed Visceral, but I guess Titanfall 2 not doing that great probably didn't give them much of a choice. (Also these deals probably were in the works for months prior to this.)

Also, that's the first confirmation of a new Titanfall game, right?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    It doesn't really surprise me

They have made 2 games and are making a 3rd, all of which are published by EA

This seems to basically just officially bring them into the fold whereas they were already most of the way there already

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

This seems to basically just officially bring them into the fold whereas they were already most of the way there already

Respawn was founded by people who got fucked over by a huge publisher, who have just now sold their company to another huge publisher who just got done shutting down a previously promising studio that they mismanaged into oblivion.

I'm a little surprised.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    It always weirds me out when I see a studio sign up with a major publisher, right after that publisher just got done fucking over another studio (Like when Bungie signed up with Activision right after they fucked over the Call of Duty creators). I can't believe they did this RIGHT AFTER EA killed Visceral, but I guess Titanfall 2 not doing that great probably didn't give them much of a choice. (Also these deals probably were in the works for months prior to this.)

Also, that's the first confirmation of a new Titanfall game, right?
    Earlier this week, one source with access to some of Respawn’s forthcoming plans sent us what they said was a version of the acquisition contract, which reveals that EA is paying over $400 million for the Los Angeles-based studio. According to various documents sent by that source, EA outbid the South Korean publisher Nexon, which publishes the Titanfall mobile game and had also made an offer to buy Respawn. EA had 30 days to match that offer, which they chose to do.

Respawn will also receive bonuses tied to Metacritic scores for both its upcoming Star Wars game and the unannounced Titanfall 3, according to that documentation.

https://kotaku.com/sources-ea-is-buying-titanfall-developer-respawn-1820131071

apparently yeah

• Options

Respawn was founded by people who got fucked over by a huge publisher, who have just now sold their company to another huge publisher who just got done shutting down a previously promising studio that they mismanaged into oblivion.

I'm a little surprised.
    I would assume that the relationship they have with EA after working with them for 5-6 years is healthy enough that they are okay with being purchased by them

Who knows if that will last but I doubt they would jump in all without a care

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Anyone else hear an extremely loud sinister bell ringing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It's either that or the studio was running low and cash and needed to be bought to survive

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    eakillinganothergamestudiocomic.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Man, I just don't have a good feeling in my gut about this at all. EA has already been disappointed with Titanfall's sales once already (though EA was probably expecting the world.. also releasing it in-between Battlefield and Battlefront was a dumb idea.) and any Star Wars game is going to have utterly ridiculous sales expectations.

Just, not a good feeling at all. Probably just a leftover sense of dread from the Visceral situation though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    It's either that or the studio was running low and cash and needed to be bought to survive

T2 didn't do great right? Probably that. Or it's eas condition to publish them again

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    It also helps that Titanfall isn’t a story-driven single player experience, meaning it’s not on EA’s List Of Things To Kill.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    It also helps that Titanfall isn’t a story-driven single player experience, meaning it’s not on EA’s List Of Things To Kill.

Though 2 had a fantastic campaign that I hope is expanded on in the next one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Well, that makes more sense now. Wonder how Respawn feels about it.

• Options
    So if I am reading this right

They wanted to keep Respawn on but needed to cut costs somewhere so they killed Visceral to make room for Respawn?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm getting better at Heat Signature, but what is the actual benefit of defector missions? I feel like I skipped some tutorial box or something cause I did one and I'm pretty sure I got nothing except the satisfaction of beating a hard mission

I can't fill a video game bar with a god damn feeling I need numbers

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm getting better at Heat Signature, but what is the actual benefit of defector missions? I feel like I skipped some tutorial box or something cause I did one and I'm pretty sure I got nothing except the satisfaction of beating a hard mission

You have gained 4 Feeling.
    You are now at 9/15 required for your next Warm Glow of Satisfaction.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

...Honestly I wouldn't mind gamifying my emotions.

• Options
    So if I am reading this right

They wanted to keep Respawn on but needed to cut costs somewhere so they killed Visceral to make room for Respawn?

It's conjecture, but it seems like it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Anyone else hear an extremely loud sinister bell ringing
    Do you hear this?

Fear the bell's toll.

For only death awaits prying eyes,

and the Church EA's assassins are never far behind.

[laughs]

medium.jpg

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I wonder if EA will try to setup up a 3 year cycle with Battlefield, Battlefront and Titanfall to avoid a 2016 situation.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    As far as I know you do the defector missions because you can. Much like the rest of the game.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Aftet watching the GB quicklook I may start shadow tactics over in English. There is a lot of between character chatter the game doesn’t subtitle that I’ve been missing.

• Options
    After three moves ahead gushing about the long war mod for XCOM 2 I started looking at the steam workshop for the game.

HELP THERE ARE SO MANY CHOICES.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

persona?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    After three moves ahead gushing about the long war mod for XCOM 2 I started looking at the steam workshop for the game.

A lot of mods marked "Long War" are actually single bits of the overall mod sliced up if you want to mix and match instead of using the whole thing. Also Long War isn't kidding, it takes a long time to play that game.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

I don't know how anybody can enjoy Long War 2 but I'm a filthy casual who doesn't even enjoy the hardest difficulty.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't know how anybody can enjoy Long War 2 but I'm a filthy casual who doesn't even enjoy the hardest difficulty.

I'm interested in the Long War 2 not because of a difficulty bump but how it shifts the focus on the strategic layer, how it promotes having a deep roster, and the interesting strategic level decisions it makes you make, plus the new classes sound neat! Default XCOM 2 is almost a pure tactics game, which is fine, but sometimes I want some strategy, ya know?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    War of the Chosen encourages you to utilize much more of your roster than vanilla XCOM 2.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Did they ever make an XCOM 2 mod that gets rid of XCOM so you can just play as the infinitely cooler resistance factions?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    War of the Chosen encourages you to utilize much more of your roster than vanilla XCOM 2.

It did and that was rad!

But the strategic level was still more of the "email inbox from hell" style campaign where you are just reactive. Given that it's a game where you are narratively running an offensive guerilla campaign, the more active strategy layer of Long War sounds neat to me.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    PiptheFair wrote: »

persona?

Sure, but expand it to the full emotional spectrum. Or like a morality meter but for Satisfaction/Ennui

Madican on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    PiptheFair wrote: »

persona?

Sure, but expand it to the full emotional spectrum. Or like a morality meter but for Satisfaction/Ennui

Yeah I dumped a bunch of points into Weltschmerz as a young adult so now I'm stuck with a hybrid Listless/Overwhelming Sense of Generalized Dread build that really isn't good for anything. I'm trying to pump levels into Self Confidence and Positive World View but I feel like I won't make much headway on the Optimism tree until my 40s and at that point it makes more sense to start building for a future Curmudgeon build as the bonus multipliers for Anger At Future Generations and Disappointment In A Wasted Life keep growing well into the post-game.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just finished the Homicide desk in L.A. Noire

I'm sure I'll have a more nuanced take in the morning, but for now I leave you with this

This discussion has been closed.