As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I really dislike dialogue choices where the game doesn’t tell me exactly what I’m going to say.

I really liked how Original Sin 2 handled this, where you choose how to respond but your character doesn't actually say any dialogue. It felt more immersive than just picking from a few pre-written scripts

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I just finished the Homicide desk in L.A. Noire

I'm sure I'll have a more nuanced take in the morning, but for now I leave you with this

Okay I have those more nuanced thoughts now
    I'll start with the positive, which is that I thought the answer to "who was the real killer"
    actually wasn't too bad; looking back on it, it works for the killer to be the temp bartender, even if he must have needed Batman levels of planning to pull them off

The setpiece at the end was also kind of cool, very classically noir

Now the negative, aka everything else about it

It's a huge bummer. "Hey all that work you did? Totally worthless! Turns out you had the wrong guys all along, idiot"

If that were an ending to a book or TV show or something, it wouldn't be bad. After all, what kind of noir story has a truly happy ending?

But this was a video game-ass video game. It kept score! I got more experience for getting things "right!" Having the rug pulled out from under the player and the reveal just being "nah dude the bad guy just outsmarted all of you"
    sucks

And it definitely didn't earn the repetitious murders with that ending twist, not at all, which means that the murder cases in this crime game just blew chunks for no good reason

Next is Vice desk, which I hope is better

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, Homicide is the worst.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It defies imagination how they made homicide desk the worst, least interesting part of the game

But yeah, it gets much better after all that

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I was thinking about getting Wolfenstein 2 but apparently the PC version runs badly?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting Wolfenstein 2 but apparently the PC version runs badly?

i had a few problems with my nvidia drivers starting it up, and sometimes the sky textures bug out, but generally it's been pretty good.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

It did at launch and it still has some crash issues, but as far as I know it runs fine now? I never had performance problems, just the occasional crash when I try to look at my collectibles.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @SirEtchwarts let us know how long it takes until you want to drop Roy off a short pier

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It did at launch and it still has some crash issues, but as far as I know it runs fine now? I never had performance problems, just the occasional crash when I try to look at my collectibles.

I think it also crashes when you alt-tab, at least it did for me

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    SirEtchwarts let us know how long it takes until you want to drop Roy off a short pier

The answer to this is "literally as soon as I recognized him"

Since the game apparently won't let me do that, I'm going to just damage his car as much as I can

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The most downvotes in history, and I can't say it's not deserved

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/

Basically rumours are that it takes 40-60 hours to save up enough credits to buy a single hero. EAs response was less than encourging. As someone's who usually doesn't get upset about lootboxes, this kind of thing in a multiplayer game is enough for me to not bother with the game

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    e: nvm didn't see second half of your post

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don't usually use reddit so I just found out that gilded votes are a thing, ie you pay to get it higher or something?

So people are paying to win at a reddit thread complaining about a pay to win game?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think someone has to give gold to someone else. So you can't pay to elevate your post, but if someone liked it, they could give gold which then elevates it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I mean, there were a large contingent of people who complained about games like Bad Company 2 and Titanfall having very terse progression, with the argument that going towards unlocking shit is the reason for playing. Starting with Battlefield 3, DICE has been upfront with the desire to have players unlock billions of shit for a stupid long time to "fix" that miscalculation, so this I'm seeing this as people getting exactly what they wanted.

(For the record, long unlocks for multiplayer shit can bite me, but whatever. I'm content with the idea that these kind of games are no longer my thing.)

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Gilding doesn't elevate posts or alter vote totals, it's just a way to show your appreciation for a post. All it does is give the recipient a month of Reddit Gold, which is their dumb premium feature thing, and a little medal next to the post.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I might refund Shadow Of War. It's got an incredibly weak opening, but the last straw was it refusing to let me choose where to put my first XP point, because they genuinely seem to think that if they don't walk me through precisely how to press the A button I'm going to get lost and choke to death on the controller.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I might refund Shadow Of War. It's got an incredibly weak opening, but the last straw was it refusing to let me choose where to put my first XP point, because they genuinely seem to think that if they don't walk me through precisely how to press the A button I'm going to get lost and choke to death on the controller.

I got to Act 2 where they introduce the "build an orc army" aspect for the first time, and the tutorialization of that is somehow even more obnoxious

So you made the right choice

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Shadow Tactics just gets better and better.

Teasing away at the edges of a guard patrol until you see the patterns and brutally unravel their position is so amazingly satisfying. They gave you such a varied and subtly powerful toolset that is a joy to use.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

The story is dumb but the gameplay is great. Maybe give it till you're done with the first area at least.

I am pro-hand-holding-tutorials tho after gaming with a lot of non-gaming folks. That stuff is actually really nice for a lot of people.

edit: assuming you were REALLY into the first game. If not, dump it

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I was so annoyed that I accidentally clocked in 3 hours before I realised I wasn't having any fun at all with Shadow Of War.

Just a wasted $80.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The story is dumb but the gameplay is great. Maybe give it till you're done with the first area at least.

I am pro-hand-holding-tutorials tho after gaming with a lot of non-gaming folks. That stuff is actually really nice for a lot of people.

I agree, though having the ability to toggle that stuff off in the options is always nice.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Some tutorials would be great. How to fight maybe, how to stealth kill I guess. How To Navigate A Menu needs to be optional.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I was interested in Shadow of War initially, but now looking into it I feel like it's a game I'd get when it's a full collection for like $20, if I get it at all.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Some tutorials would be great. How to fight maybe, how to stealth kill I guess. How To Navigate A Menu needs to be optional.

I do wish more games had an "I have played video games" and "I have played this video game" option at the beginning like I've seen in some.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The problem is it never is and most of the time a menu navigation tutorial isn't even present.

It's not that awful of a thing to skip through if it helps a lot of other people to actually be able to start the game. But yeah it's annoying and an "optional" setting for stuff like that would be wonderful.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel like in-game menus and such should be designed well enough that the game doesn't need a tutorial on how to use its menus? UI/UX designers exist, hire one for your company.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The one tutorial nonsense that really killed a game for me was when I started up Need for Speed 2015 a couple of weeks ago because I realized I didn't cancel my EA Access sub, and I didn't have anything better to waste my time with. The first half hour is just a barrage of tutorial screens for the most menial shit. Okay, that's not necessarily a dealbreaker, but it does this while in the middle of a race. This game is always online, so it never pauses. So, yes, it pops a full screen full of tutorial text while the race that you cannot stop is still going on in the background. That kind of attention to player experience gave me an indication very early that the game wasn't that good.

• Options
    I feel like in-game menus and such should be designed well enough that the game doesn't need a tutorial on how to use its menus? UI/UX designers exist, hire one for your company.

for most of us sure.

but my BF, who has played exactly 3 games, Civ 5, Don't Starve and Diablo 3 is CONSTANTLY stymied by the Diablo menu (which admittedly isn't great) and doesn't want to even tackle any others. He's at a complete loss as to how and get Don;t Starve running as well.

I mean there's still lots of games that don't even have an indicator about how to start them. WE know, just literally press any button but some folks just assume the game isn't starting and something's gone wrong and that's not a great jumping off point.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shadow Mordor pulled that on me and I lost interest when it witheld the Brand mechanic until Part 2. After I had scoured the first giant map.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So now people are making death threats against people at EA because of the microtransactions in Battlefront.

Which... don't?

• Options
    microtransactions are absolutely awful

death threats are so much fucking worse people what the fuck

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The only things these microtransactions are killing are my wallet, am I right folks

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The only things these microtransactions are killing are my wallet, am I right folks

Also my respect for the companies who abuse them.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So now people are making death threats against people at EA because of the microtransactions in Battlefront.

Which... don't?

That's extremely typical of certain online communities - don't like a thing? Threaten to murder the folks responsible for said thing!

Can't shut those communities down though, because "muh freeze peach!!"

• Options
    So I've decided to mess around with Skyrim again. Any must have mods? I'm generally not huge into mods because I'm lazy and indecisive and would rather deal with a developer's imperfect vision for a game and know what I'm getting than spent hours digging around and trying to find the perfect combination of fan content, magic rebalacing mods, etc.

I don't even really have many strong negative opinions about the PC UI, especially since this time around I'm planning on playing from my couch with a controller.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, that's not in the base game?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.