As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS OLD AND FUNKY! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I hate highlander priest so much

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Looked at that Secret Mage deck, went to build it, and realized I’m 2200 dust short on it. :(

And I have Jaina.

Most of that is from not having any Primodial Glyphs or Spellbenders.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    If only that were real. (Is it real?)

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I threw finn into my old (like very early this expansion). mage control deck since i had two quests to satisfy with mage, just to see how it would work.

First time i got the treasure it gave me the discover legendary / summon 2 copies of it, it gave me two deathwings against a druid.

not bad.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Looked at that Secret Mage deck, went to build it, and realized I’m 2200 dust short on it. :(

And I have Jaina.

Most of that is from not having any Primodial Glyphs or Spellbenders.

I recommend crafting the Glyphs. They're going to be in every Mage deck in standard until April 2019. While I think that the Spellbenders are really super useful, they're not strictly mandatory - I'd probably recommend using Mana Bind. The ability to Mana Bind an Ultimate Infestation is pretty darn awesome, but even a Swipe or Mind Blast or Shadowstep (for use on Valets) is nice.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Made a C'Thun Paladin deck last night. Played a couple of games. Did not win. Needs a lot of work.

I just love piloting C'Thun decks. I love the C'Thun minions and I love the tension.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

I think Big Ez Priest has a favourable match-up; I managed to beat one fairly comfortably this morning because he had to use so much to deal with the 3 Obsidian Statues I put down.

Of course he roped for what was obviously his last turn.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Glyphs are getting worse, what with stuff like freezing potion and glacial mysteries getting added to the spell pool.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I should know better than to incur RNG wrath, but after starting 2-2 I went 4-0 with @Shadowhope Secret Mage deck.

maznqr6aaozb.png

Replays:
    I recommend watching the Paladin game for some sick Spellbender/Counterspells. The Warrior game was winnable, but I had unlucky draws. And all the Rogue games for blood pressure control.

One thing that didn't occur to me until my third game is the lack of Mirror Entity secrets. It's totally fine, but unusual. Fortunately, Mirror Entity is the first secret everyone plays around, so even when it isn't in the deck...it sort of is. Solid mind gaming for ineffective enemy turns.

Edit: Shadowhope, do you think it's every right to keep Frost Bolt in the opening hand? I did once against Rogue with Mana Wyrm, but in retrospect think it was a wrong choice. I suppose it's all about 1-2 drops, especially Archanologists.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    everyone and their brother runs firefly, so mirror is just bad in the meta.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I don't think IB is a design nightmare by itself, the idea you could get 4 of them in a game is. They should impliment some kind of 'cooldown' so that when your ice block goes off you cant immediately cast it again the next turn. This would keep it viable but make it more strategic since you would have to arrange freeze effects to cover your cooldown turn without granting several turns in a row of complete immunity which just is not fun.

IB is bad design because it creates turns where your opponent just does nothing, which is boring. It's the same problem with freeze in general, only now there isn't even the possibility of playing around it.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Your opponent does not do 'nothing'...he has to trigger the ice block, then basically has a chance to enhance his board or clean up your opponents board. breaking the ice block itself is the action.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Your opponent does not do 'nothing'...he has to trigger the ice block, then basically has a chance to enhance his board or clean up your opponents board. breaking the ice block itself is the action.

Enhance your board so that you lose even more to their board clears, or clear their non-existent board because they're a combo deck? What amazing choices to take after attacking with one minion to not kill your 1-health opponent.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Adding more to the board is generally a mistake since you have to watch out for board clears and freeze effects. Triggering the block is often trivial and freeze mage and quest made don't usually have a board worth clearing. With quest mage it is not even worth while to heal or gain armor.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya it feels real bad when you manage to have like 5+ attackers, all unfrozen, and they still just get a free turn

I don't know how they'd implement it but it might have been cool if it saved you, prevented all damage 1-2 addtional times in the turn, then fell off.

Then if you had 3-4+ damage sources you could overwhelm it, but Ice Block would still shut down a turn with only a couple attacks

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Noggin wrote: »
    Ya it feels real bad when you manage to have like 5+ attackers, all unfrozen, and they still just get a free turn

I don't know how they'd implement it but it might have been cool if it saved you, prevented all damage 1-2 addtional times in the turn, then fell off.

Then if you had 3-4+ damage sources you could overwhelm it, but Ice Block would still shut down a turn with only a couple attacks

"When your hero is attacked by a minion, freeze that minion." Edit: "And the one(s) next to it" if it needs to be stronger

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    One thing that didn't occur to me until my third game is the lack of Mirror Entity secrets. It's totally fine, but unusual. Fortunately, Mirror Entity is the first secret everyone plays around, so even when it isn't in the deck...it sort of is. Solid mind gaming for ineffective enemy turns.

Like BSoB said, everyone plays Fire Fly. Or Swashburgler. Or Novice Engineer. Or [insert cheap 1 or 2 drop here]. Unless I'm up against Big Priest or Big Druid (and get lucky in the latter case), it's just not a great card in the current meta IMO.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Edit: Shadowhope, do you think it's every right to keep Frost Bolt in the opening hand? I did once against Rogue with Mana Wyrm, but in retrospect think it was a wrong choice. I suppose it's all about 1-2 drops, especially Archanologists.

I mulligan hard for one drop/Arcanologist/Kirin Tor Mage. The only situations where I keep a Frostbolt are if I'm on coin and I already have my one drop/Arcanologist/Kirin Tor Mage and I'm not against Priest, or if I'm against Warlock and have a one-drop (but I'll keep a Primordial Glyph over Frostbolt against Zoo and hope for a board clear). Zoo has a really pesky habit of dropping a T2/T3 Vicious Fledgling behind a taunt, and Frostbolts are basically a must-have in that situation.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Playing against an Aggro Druid with my Marin Silence Priest...

Just about playing keep away with my life total and I finally get it to the point where he needs to top-deck lethal for 4 health or I kill him next turn.

He says "Well Played" and hovers a card over the board.

Yeah, I aint falling for that one buddy.

It's an enchanted raven.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

I think Big Ez Priest has a favourable match-up; I managed to beat one fairly comfortably this morning because he had to use so much to deal with the 3 Obsidian Statues I put down.

Of course he roped for what was obviously his last turn.

Having played a lot of highlander priest up until about a month ago, I definitely agree that the big priest matchup is extremely difficult. There's just too many things to remove, and the statues and dragons having 4 attack and a ton of health doesn't help. To win you either need to use a kazakus 5 mana potion to sheep whatever Barnes/Shadow Essence pulls and delay them from resurrecting a minion, and/or play Raz and Anduin on curve and burn them down before they can get too much value.

Of course there's always the chance that they don't have Barnes on turn 4, or that Shadow Essence pulls Barnes, but that never seems to happen in my games against them.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Big Druid is so fun it's a crime that you need like 18 legendaries to play it.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This week's tavern is "Each time you cast a spell, summon a random minion with the same cost."

Me - "Cool, I'll run Silence/Control Priest and just control the board, maybe toss in some Free From Ambers to get a Medivh effect without playing Medivh, clear the board with Holy Nova which spawns a 5 drop, or Dragonfire which would spawn a 6, would the 6 drop spawn before the clear? I dunno maybe that's a bad idea, should probably run one mind control just i--"

Game - "Your opponent left!"

Me - "...Oh. Guess I'm done here."

• Options
    I'm missing Kun and Deathwing. I have enough dust for 1 legendary but we are so close to the new set that I don't want to pull the trigger on either one of those.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    This week's tavern is "Each time you cast a spell, summon a random minion with the same cost."

Me - "Cool, I'll run Silence/Control Priest and just control the board, maybe toss in some Free From Ambers to get a Medivh effect without playing Medivh, clear the board with Holy Nova which spawns a 5 drop, or Dragonfire which would spawn a 6, would the 6 drop spawn before the clear? I dunno maybe that's a bad idea, should probably run one mind control just i--"

Game - "Your opponent left!"

Me - "...Oh. Guess I'm done here."

I think the minion appears before the clear

at least with the druid deck I played against the minion appeared and then got the buff from Mark of the Lotus

and countered spells still summon their minions

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    I'm missing Kun and Deathwing. I have enough dust for 1 legendary but we are so close to the new set that I don't want to pull the trigger on either one of those.

I probably have enough dust (and things to dust) that I could craft what I need for Big Druid. 3-4 Legendaries I think :lol:. But I don't think it's quite worth it.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I have a problem where I see cool new decks and want to play them. I should probably stop dusting so aggressively.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    This Brawl is one of my favorite Brawls in the game (maybe THE most favorite for me)

I think I ran a removal-heavy Warlock deck last time so I decided to try out a Druid deck this time:

d3bfosa.png
    AAECAZICAumsAqG3Ag5AVl+XAe0D9wPBBLcGxAbkCL6rAqK2AqDNAofOAgA=

Only two minions in this deck because playing minions in this Brawl is horribly inefficient. Medivh is great though because he doubles your value, and Yogg is there as a backup plan.

But otherwise, just ramp up, remove, buff, play UI and win.

It's pretty fun! I don't think I've lost yet.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options

Golden card packs for people on Twitch Prime are going out. So, that's cool. Mine hasn't arrived yet though.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
  • Options
    Got my golden pack. One epic, a rare, and 3 Commons. Dusted everything but still a decent pack.

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Got my golden pack. One epic, a rare, and 3 Commons. Dusted everything but still a decent pack.

Got mine too...unfortunately just the bare bones result (one rare, 4 commons). Worst is that 3 were spells, so it's not even like the bling even gets to hang around the board.

My only possible saving grace is that one of the spells is a shadowstep, so maybe it'll get hall-of-famed and earn me bonus dust.

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    This Brawl is one of my favorite Brawls in the game (maybe THE most favorite for me)

I think I ran a removal-heavy Warlock deck last time so I decided to try out a Druid deck this time:

d3bfosa.png

Only two minions in this deck because playing minions in this Brawl is horribly inefficient. Medivh is great though because he doubles your value, and Yogg is there as a backup plan.

Blew some dust to finish this off (needed 1 Spreading Plague and 2 Force of Nature). And I’m not crafting Yogg at this point in time, so I went with Ysera, for more spell generation. Lich King would probably work too.

Anyways, thanks!
    icx2ww15tse8.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hmm, defile doesn't create multiple minions. It ought to, as the rule for the brawl is that it summons a minion everytime you cast a spell, not play a spell.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hmm, defile doesn't create multiple minions. It ought to, as the rule for the brawl is that it summons a minion everytime you cast a spell, not play a spell.

My Spreading Plague play got borked because it summons the minion first, so I only got 1 scarab.

Something to keep in mind.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

You aren't casting the subsequent defiles.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

d3bfosa.png

Turn 5 win here. I had a 4/8 Knife Juggler turn 4.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I admit I packed my Paladin deck with Blessing of Mights and Consecrations and Hammer of Wraths with the specific hope of pulling a Flamewreathed and it only took two tries.

Classic Pack reward gave me King Krush!

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm considering my collection, and it occurs to me that Malygos and Archmage Antonidas are pretty much the only Classic legendary cards that I still want.

And now I'm considering crafting Antonidas and flipping out Jaina for Antonidas in my Secret Mage deck, but I'm not certain that I have enough spells to make him worthwhile.

Hmm.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Okay, the King Krush summon animation is A+++

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They gave King Krush a new animation?