As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Job] Thread in mourning

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm really glad we all harped on those flu shots because this strain of flu in the southern US looks like it might be a mutant strain which can definitely trigger cytokine storms in people in our age groups.

Stay safe everyone, and if a coworker comes into work looking like death avoid them and treat it like a quarantine situation (maybe even leave to go home yourself).

Hey do you have a good source for this?
    I wanna scare the bejeezus into my teammates, they're all relatively new to office jobs, coming mostly from retail/food service, and think sick days are strictly for hospital visits.

It doesn't help that one team lead goes around explicitly saying they only uses sick time for if they needs to see a doctor, and now the manager is considering requiring doctor's notes for taking more than X sick days consecutively.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/mother-of-two-dies-from-the-flu-within-a-matter-of-days (e: like ND said, this one says "the flu shot might not have mattered" which is dumb)
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/arizona-woman-dies-from-flu-day-after-diagnosis?utm_term=.kk3mEJo1O#.ai26wAgqK
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/12/09/more-good-news-for-2017-the-flu-season-is-likely-to-be-bad/1

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    That top article may not be supes effective, since it ends on the note, "Gonzales also says Murrieta didn't get the flu shot, however, there is no indication if that would have made a difference or not."

@Tox make sure to harp on them that healthy people can die just as much as the enfeeble, and that it's just a matter of chance. This flu strain in particular is nasty.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2017
    That top article may not be supes effective, since it ends on the note, "Gonzales also says Murrieta didn't get the flu shot, however, there is no indication if that would have made a difference or not."

Ultimately it's the reoccurring nature of the flu shot that is the most important. It should offer better protection over all from stuff like this. Getting a single seasonal flu shot won't do much in the overall scheme of things. Do it every year.

This is a year to use hand sanitizer and masks liberally for sure. I'm going to take a box from work because fuck this noise.

E: I found a better link anyways!

bowen on
    I actually read an article a few years ago that talked about a study that had been done on the flu vaccine effectiveness year over year. There was some information to suggest that it might be slightly more effective to get the shot every other year, which I found interesting! I can't remember if the percentage change was especially significant, so of course the standard suggestion of "get the shot every year" still stands. I'll try to find the article if I can.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sleep pattern disrupted

hours of productivity lost

Could stay up 24 hours and accomplish stuff

Hip pain erratic

pinched nerve in elbow

Coloure of Magic on hold at library

Pratchett baptism imminent.

I actually read an article a few years ago that talked about a study that had been done on the flu vaccine effectiveness year over year. There was some information to suggest that it might be slightly more effective to get the shot every other year, which I found interesting! I can't remember if the percentage change was especially significant, so of course the standard suggestion of "get the shot every year" still stands. I'll try to find the article if I can.

Well, this isn't the same article, but it seems like they mention the study from the article I'd read. Also have more interesting notes on effectiveness of getting immunized every year.

https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/11/flu-shots-reduce-effectiveness/

The article is two years old, but the studies that show reduced effectiveness in various scenarios have been going on for decades.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My cough is still here. Much better though. But now I have a sore throat and it's painful to swallow. Not caused by the cough, it's too high up in my throat and only one side. Thought maybe I was getting tonsilitis but I don't have any other symptoms. Just euthanise me now, clearly I am past my best.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I have been unable to sleep more than ~4 hours a night for two weeks now. :sad:

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    try taking some melatonin

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got a few more closing shifts before my new day schedule kicks in. Off at 11 tonight, gotta get up at 6 so I can make it to jury duty in the morning. Blurgh.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Woo, take-home final for my grad course.

I will be spending the next week becoming intimately acquainted with hoops on ramps, and using overcomplicated math to describe their motion.

I did it, I finished it like five days early.

Time to find all the burritos to eat.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    thinking up titles
    is
    the blurst

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    thinking up titles
    is
    the blurst

An autobiography

thinking up titles
    is
    the blurst

Fart Attack:
    One roboticist's journey on finding out what it means to be human

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    thinking up titles
    is
    the blurst

Fart Attack:

Well it means farting, obviously.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    thinking up titles
    is
    the blurst

Fart Attack:

Well it means farting, obviously.

Why does my uni always ask me for the title of my thesis? Like if I had made up a title four years before I actually set any words to paper, it'd be a meaningful accomplishment or something?

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Just think of it this way
    • They're all universally terrible
    • There are no guidelines or constraints or parameters or anything
    • Therefore, literally anything you choose works just fine

Getting Away with Bullshit, the MrMonroe story

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    My bound thesis title is pretty amusing for two reasons.

1) The title describes several projects, so its length is far larger than the spine of book it is printed on so it cuts partway through.
    2) More importantly, the printer didn't know how to handle a hyphen (or en-dash, forget which) and replaced it with a question mark, so there's a random question mark partway through my title.

To be fair, the location of the question mark kind-of makes sense given the results of that project.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My masters thesis title was too long for the spine so its just says "M.Sc."

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I never bothered having my thesis bound. I probably should at some point

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I applied for a job in a construction lab

I desperately want to get out of my stupid tech job

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, smart tech is probably a better bet.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I left at ten past three today because I literally had nothing to do.

It felt like I was breaking all the rules and I left with a general feeling of guilt.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ohhhhhhhh so this is how incompetent people get richer than me.

OF737cY.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I applied for a job in a construction lab

I desperately want to get out of my stupid tech job

What is your stupid tech job exactly?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Could all the sick people on this floor just please go home!

I can hear at least 4 different people coughing!

edit: 5 now

honovere on
    because they can't take a sick day for a cough?

You realise if they could work from home they would

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'd never work from home even if I could

I like a strict separation. Office work stays in the office.

Working from home is a pain in the arse and I only do it when I have to.

Have you tried managing multiple spreadsheets, databases, network infrastructure tools and emails on a single 15-inch screen?

Load of fucking shite I tell you.

Also my neighbour is an actress/singing coach so if I work from home all I ever here is musical numbers.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    You must be dress professionally

It is amazing how often I see that kind of shit. Whether it be memos or safety noticed or whatever, people just Alan out whatever half English they're cool with and call it a day.

In a week I will put up a sign reminding people to bring their clam upon entry papers.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I need to get a flu shot! I've just gotten over a normal cold that lasted a week, and that was bad enough.

I like working from home, but I have a dual monitor setup at home and a pretty quiet area to work. It also helps that most of what I do is by myself anyway.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Right?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Right?

If I remember right I don't think you can make all the sick people at your job leave...

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Three....more...days. I can do it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    because they can't take a sick day for a cough?

You realise if they could work from home they would

We have a functioning health care system and labor laws here where I work. Sick days are paid days and for the first day off you don't even need a doctor's note. And it's not only a cough, half of these people look and sound really miserable.

And the world wouldn't fall apart just because some of our people are sick at home.

My senior thesis was "Newcastle is Peru" then a normal boring subtitle, and is based off a poem

Took a lot of consulting to not call it "The Coal Cuckold" which is also from a poem written the same year

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    If someone doesn't get paid for staying home when sick, I can understand that.

But if you have paid sick leave and/or can work fr on home, coming into work sick seems like some kind of toughness challenge.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I live at work. There's no escape!

JoeUser wrote: »
    If someone doesn't get paid for staying home when sick, I can understand that.

But if you have paid sick leave and/or can work fr on home, coming into work sick seems like some kind of toughness challenge.

Even worse since you run the risk of infecting others

This discussion has been closed.