As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job] Thread in mourning

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    first day of job! first day of job in a long time. holy shit I'm tired. how do I do this for the next 30 years of my life, conservatively.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I'd like to thank @bucketman for revealing the one true gummy bear brand.

https://www.albanesecandy.com/all-gummies/12-flavor-gummi-bears/

These motherfuckers right here. Oh my god.

oh hey I'm literally eating some of these now.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    folks the CEO of the company I work for and also my boss (who typically works out of a different office based in NYC) are in town for three days and boy howdy is it not fun to have someone literally follow you around all day asking why you do your job the way you do and getting their unsolicited opinion on how you could do it better when they don't even know how to do it.

Oh god this happens so much at my work

Not the ceo, but others

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well, gonna start putting in more effort to find another job. Was going to do it slowly because I'm running the toastmaster club at the office, but the more I poke around the more apathetic I feel about my job and got is apathy a disgusting feeling. Just the amount of mismanagement that the holding company has done.

-We have ancient software, that often leads to systems not working and the people at the top feel the priority should always go to new and shinier client facing applications. Completely missing that those can't work if the production applications are up to snuff to allow people to generate the date needed to be able to display anything on the client applications.
    -Hardly anyone got a raise last year, and this year no one. Excuse is that there isn't enough money and North America didn't perform well. Great way of telling people that the merit system for raises means fuck all because overall company performance can make working your ass off meaningless. Then through in the fact that they are doing a re-org, which is being used as a another excuse to not do raises. Finally, since several system don't work right because the people are the top don't seem to give a fuck about production, they've had to open OT, which means even less money for other things (did I mention one team got flack for data being behind because the app they needed wasn't working right and these aren't IT people).
    -It's also incredibly frustrating to watch my basic need expenses go up, while my income stays stagnant. I know I'm in decent financial shape, but I'm not to a point where I feel comfortable. I have a chronic health issue and it's a bit stressing realizing my employer is fucking up in a way that might mean I'll have financial issues down the line. Also incredibly depressing to see multiple co-workers with kids, spouses or debts have to find a second job or multiple gigs to stay on top of their finances (this is why I say I'm in decent financial shape, haven't hit that point of bullshit yet, but these are people making 10 or more dollars an hour and I know the US being shit on this end isn't entirely on the holding company, though I'm sure they lobby for the crap that makes it so).
    -I don't feel like waiting around to see if they realize they need to raise their wages because they can't get the good tempts that are willing to stick around anymore for several positions. People have to do a ton for this job and frankly, the holding company has made ti abundantly clear that the efforts aren't appreciated. Not to mentioned they keep outsourcing stuff to India because it's cheaper, but they kind of ignore how quality has gone down a ton and India doesn't really do the job right. They are more concerned with getting quantity, so a ton of the stuff that takes more than 10s, that they could do, gets dumped on us and adds more to our workload (also doesn't help that advertisers seem to be getting more incompetent, seriously, keep using those ad blockers, you really aren't missing out).
    -As for the toastmaster, well that's struggling because of corporate policy. We have a club that lets people develop professionally, which would give them a pool of people to promote for higher tier jobs before having to go outside the company. Problem is people aren't the top really don't want to spend money on (right now the fee is 90 dollars a year if the employee attends enough meetings, otherwise the fee gets taken out of the employees paycheck). Oddly enough, they do seem to be willing to spend money on the clubs that don't develop people professionally and some of the stuff that these people do, takes them away from their tasks for sizable chunks of the day multiple times a month. All we're asking for in the toastmasters club is be able to do either 1-1.5 hours or 2-3 hours on the clock a month. Right now we have to meet during lunch and people have to take an extra half-hour out of their day on meeting days. That is actually killing our ability to get members because people could do stuff for one of the other clubs and get paid for it and some of them don't have that extra 30 minutes for the meetings because they have to get buy working another job. Plus, we have a few that take classes.

Not to mention that I'm really hating how I feel like my job is forcing me to neglect things I need to do. I'd like more time to cook healthy food. More time to get some much needed exercise in. More time to broaden my social network. Have less of my non-work time eaten up by commuting to work and it seems to get worse by the day.

Like I know it's not a great job and I wasn't planning on staying their long term; especially, now that I've seen how non-existent promotions are (I mean for fucks sake, we have two people in not great pay jobs, that only got those jobs because their predecessor died. These people can literal claim they got their current position because the last person that had it died. It's really fucked up now that I think about; especially, since these aren't great jobs to begin). It's just things would be so much less stressful and miserable if the people running the holding company, or at least the one's calling the shots, didn't have a perennial case of head up their asses syndrome.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I am currently the only supervisor at my store. My former lead supervisor took a produce position at another location, her replacement quit to sell insurance, and I haven't been given the lead shift because we don't have anyone we can promote internally to cover my closing shift and nobody wants to transfer to my store. I am literally the only person who can handle my job currently.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I am currently the only supervisor at my store. My former lead supervisor took a produce position at another location, her replacement quit to sell insurance, and I haven't been given the lead shift because we don't have anyone we can promote internally to cover my closing shift and nobody wants to transfer to my store. I am literally the only person who can handle my job currently.

Time to demand a 100% payrise!

• Options
    I'm already at the top of the union contract payscale! I'm just trying to get off of nights!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i'm a law student who's getting right towards the end of their degree and while I've had cafe and bar jobs in the past which were some real goddam work, I just sent off my first resume to a barrister to try and get some assistant work and oh gosh i feel tense

this will (well may, the meeting is confirmed, but the job isn't) be my first proper law work and argh

• Options
    I work in fraud for a company that serves many banks, and it finally happened. I've been waiting lo these many month, but I finally have a customer whos been buying large chunks of Eve Online currency and the system thinks its fraud. I also got to explain to a co-worker what eve online is.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Well, it probably is, but not in the way they think.
    Like, part of a scheme for one sprawling alliance to infiltrate, subvert, and ultimately betray/destroy another from within, in a series of events which will be much more entertaining to read about on various news sites and forums that to actually participate in (especially when lag or "time dilation" is factored in), and leave many readers profoundly grateful that these people (for the most part) voluntarily confine themselves to EVE rather than spreading their playstyle to one's own game of choice.

(Alternatively, as suggested by a friend, it's just someone selling their car to buy a supercarrier.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I sold my 42mil SP carrier pilot to a G&T pilot at the end of the first great war for $300. He took the carrier out and immediately got wrecked.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't know if my immune system is weakened from essentially living in quarantine, or this is some strain of roided-up cold, but I don't think I've ever had a cold so quickly start and crank up to 11. I am hoping it means it will be over with quickly too.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I like putting gummies in the freezer and eating them rock hard

Discuss

Please report to your local Food Police precinct and turn yourself in
    Gummi Bears on ice cream tho.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I live about 15 minutes from the Albanease Candy Factory so I get the gummies (and other candies) often. Once I grabbed a big 3 pound bag for a friend, they were a little to much in the sunlight and melted into a large...gummy lump, sort of a gummy loaf.

That day I learned the true best way to eat gummies is by cutting off a slice of many flavored gummy loaf

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Discuss

My sister sometimes puts Gummies in her special Rocky Road.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    At a work event we had gummy bear infused vodka.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Discuss

The last thing I want to do is chew ice cream.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Some of the best ice cream is chewable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It sucks not being able to chew frozen things.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I've been staying away from gelatin, so I usually eat Swedish fish or Amy's fruit snacks. A lot softer than regular gummies, but not too bad.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blargh, I'm so useless at salary negotiations.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to understand why the adjective needed to be included.

r98FtSZ.jpg?1

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I love teaching ap classes. The kids are always great and I get to mess with them a bit

I also always call them nerds which gets laughs

• Options
    Anyone know German I can use?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    haben sie ein krankenhaus?

• Options
    I'm at a school not a hospital

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    But its good in an emergency .

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    But its good in an emergency .

I mean, yes

But I need something funny to say

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mein luftkissenfahrzeug ist mit Aale besetzt.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Technicker ist informiert.

Just point them at that, and they'll learn an awful lot about the German sense of humor.

• Options
    Yeah now that's a good one

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Scheiße, jetzt bin ich radioaktiv

Ich habe Sauerkraut in meiner Lederhose

These are the german phrases I know.
    I had to use google to get the spelling though, so I'm unclear on why sauerkraut and lederhosen are capitalised.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Wie gehts?
    (Vee gates)

essentially, "What up!" (lit. "what do")
    formal would be 'Wie gehts es ihnen?', more casual/intimate 'Wie gehts du?'

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

I had to use google to get the spelling though, so I'm unclear on why sauerkraut and lederhosen are capitalised.

All nouns are capitalized in German.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I work in fraud for a company that serves many banks, and it finally happened. I've been waiting lo these many month, but I finally have a customer whos been buying large chunks of Eve Online currency and the system thinks its fraud. I also got to explain to a co-worker what eve online is.

I assume the system is just intimidated by our space-themed spreadsheets.

http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/73479/1/3_mining.value.by.region_bar.png

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Mein luftkissenfahrzeug ist mit Aale besetzt.

I always loved how german words just string adjectives together to make a whole new word.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »

And this is why @Flarne isn't allowed near the hot dog condiments.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    If you need a German joke, this one always kills:

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    If you need a German joke, this one always kills:

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

I thought that one was banned by treaties.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    During lunch yesterday a junior high math teacher asked me if I could teach math.
    Math teacher: Hey Jimmy, can you teach math?
    Me: *in front of the whole staff* Ahahaha NOPE!
    Math teacher: Oh, oh my...
    Me: I mean, I can probably pretend to teach math? Talk about integers. "Class there are real numbers & unreal numbers, lets only use unreal today."
    Math teacher: I mean, it sounds like you got it.

And that is how I am in second place to be the long-term sub for two weeks for a junior high math teacher.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.